PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Fudoh

Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by Fudoh »

Is anyone else bothered by the lack of sound effects for your weapons?
always loved the game. And what lack of sound effects ? My favorite weapon combo (green+yellow) has nice firing effects and the maxed out green combo has such great crunching effects when hitting the enemies.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

From the very beginning - you start out with this basic shot that is COMPLETELY SILENT. Gives me no sense that I'm firing a weapon.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

That last level of Blazing Lazers man... Been working on it now for a couple of days. The game is fall-asleep-easy for the first 8 levels, and then BAM! It just comes down to rote memorization of what weapon combo you need and when. The section after the first four bosses, where you have all these small drones coming in from the left and right is my wall right now. I have gotten to that point with a dozen lives and gotten totally stuck.

I also have no idea why sometimes I can die at a boss and it will let me respawn and keep going, and other times I'm fully reset back to the last checkpoint.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Also, can anyone help me remember the name of an old TG16 game where you transformed into various animals? I think there was a bear, a hawk, and more, but I can't remember exactly. I had this as a kid and can't seem to find the title.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Jonpachi wrote:I also have no idea why sometimes I can die at a boss and it will let me respawn and keep going, and other times I'm fully reset back to the last checkpoint.
Covered here:
By default you'll be sent back to a checkpoint upon death, but you can earn (and stockpile) instant respawns by collecting Flashing Gels. Anytime you have at least one respawn in stock, your "ships remaining" indicator at the bottom right of the screen will turn gold.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ah thanks!
Domino

Post by Domino »

Got my Coregrafx Mini. I like the game selection, but I'm not too happy with the input lag. To be honest, I think it sucks. Gradius II, Lords of Thunder, Salamander, Super Star Solider, and others are giving me bad input lag. I'm running it through the Dell U2515HX (low input lag), so I'm guessing it's the emulation.

Kind of sad, but also kind of not because I was figuring this was going to happen. Time for the hacks to flow like water soon enough!

I like the Coregrafx controller. I also noticed with the CD games it doesn't sound dynamic as I would like.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jonpachi wrote:Also, can anyone help me remember the name of an old TG16 game where you transformed into various animals? I think there was a bear, a hawk, and more, but I can't remember exactly. I had this as a kid and can't seem to find the title.
Psychic Storm?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

To Far Away Times wrote: Psychic Storm?
No, this was a side-scrolling platformer of sorts. It was fairly graphic for the time, and I remember the intro had someone slumped over, with blood dripping from their neck. The cover had the animal forms on it, with the main hero in the middle.
herr-g

Post by herr-g »

Night Creatures
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

herr-g wrote:Night Creatures
Oh that's it! Man, that does NOT hold up after watching some videos. That cover art is still pretty rad, but the core game looks herky-jerky and awful.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Got my TG-16 version in. The talk about DHL Express is true; 4 days from Japan for sixteen bucks!

Well, it's exactly what the raves have said. It's got the physical presence of a real console, which I love. The back cover is true to the original with even similar cable routing. Quality-built controller which feels about the same in weight and texture as the original, and a nice long cord - a first!!

Said controller plays very well though there's no doubt everything presses firmer than the original pads. These are some stiff rubber inserts here. I find the Dpad both accurate and easy to rotate despite this. And it's not so stiff as to be uncomfortable or objectionable. Fudoh, I definitely think you got a bad part; that pad shouldn't be as hard to use as yours seems to be.

Nice extensive game selection and the interface is really nice, right down to the separate TurboGrafx and PC Engine sides. Some say it's a pain to have to switch between two sets of games, but really it's a nice nod to the different regions, and the sad history of how the actual TurboGrafx missed out on so many great releases.

Lastly - not having any issues with input lag at all, somewhat miraculously. I know what has been empirically measured is there, doubtless, but even Lords of Thunder feels snappy. I'm no shmup god but I can generally pick up lag, so I really wonder what role people's displays (and their settings) are playing in how much the emulator's few frames of lag are being amplified. I know my set is one of the best in this regard so that certainly helps. Domino, I see what you posted about your Dell so that's a head-scracher. I'm mainly wondering about some of the more complainant reviews and what they might have been playing on.

So.. I'm about as happy with this as I expected to be. I'd recommend anyone else thinking about ordering from Japan go right ahead with it, especially as news on the American release only gets weirder. The machines still total out around $116 even with the recent dip in the dollar's strength.

**edit** and the modding is already underway and will only make this machine stronger. It has 4 gig of flash with about half already free stock. Pull out some of the crap releases, throw on a bunch of other CDs - it also supports compression stock - and you'll be able to set up a real nice curated library. Plus, there's the potential to swap out the emulator itself to fix the lag and shimmering issues. This is only gonna get way better.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Fudoh, I definitely think you got a bad part; that pad shouldn't be as hard to use as yours seems to be.
I ordered a few of the upcoming additional controllers (Hori, white with turbo function), so I'll be able to compare. It didn't feel to hard right away, but I had a pretty hurting thump joint the day after my first multi-hour session.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just got an updated delivery estimate for my TG16 Mini...apparently I can now expect it in January 2021. :shock: Guess I'll be thinning out my backlog in the interim a bit more than I was figuring! :lol:
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Fudoh wrote:I ordered a few of the upcoming additional controllers (Hori, white with turbo function), so I'll be able to compare.
I think I'm going to be tempted into one of the new 8bitdos, despite the Turbo design being super stark. The PCE and Core ones are dead on, though.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Totally missed this thread, lol.

I got super lucky and bought mine(TG16) from Amazon JP last week, it appears to be gone now.

Good review of the games here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtM-hp ... e=youtu.be
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, you and me both got lucky on the timing. They've restocked once, I'm curious to see what happens going forward with the US release still in limbo.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I'm a bit confused/worried about this AC Adapter thing. I'm reading it doesn't come with one, just an external cord that has to be plugged into a USB power source? Do you just use the TV, a phone adapter? I'd hate to brick mine like I've read about happening...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

cj iwakura wrote:I'm a bit confused/worried about this AC Adapter thing. I'm reading it doesn't come with one, just an external cord that has to be plugged into a USB power source? Do you just use the TV, a phone adapter? I'd hate to brick mine like I've read about happening...
I'm just using a phone adaptor and it's fine. It's just a standard USB power cable without the plug.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Got mine today, just finished Blazing Lasers(god that's a long game).

Fantastic system. Wonder if there's any TG16/PCE boards already talking about the homebrew potential...

The thought of this thing being decked out with every TG/PCE game is delicious.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The Mod My Classic team is already working on it. and it is confirmed to have much more flash memory than the other classic systems - 2 gigabyte with over half already free - so your hopes should be rewarded pretty quickly :)

The games library is great but yes, there are still some serious omissions.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

bigbadboaz wrote:The Mod My Classic team is already working on it. and it is confirmed to have much more flash memory than the other classic systems - 2 gigabyte with over half already free - so your hopes should be rewarded pretty quickly :)

The games library is great but yes, there are still some serious omissions.
Awesome. :) Can't wait. This is my first mini, so I'm excited for the possibilities.

I never owned a TG/PGE, but the jump street selection is pretty great. I think they did a great job, all things considered.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Aw, even better. I'm kinda spoiled by already modding an SNESC, but I still get excited about the potential.

And man - starting with a clean slate, that's superb! You're gonna have a ton of fun. You'll be able to enjoy the library this machine was meant to have, not just what we got stuck with back in the day :)
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Spriggan Mk2 is more like an RPG than a shmup, good lord. It's like they told Alfa System 'hold my beer'.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

cj iwakura wrote:Spriggan Mk2 is more like an RPG than a shmup, good lord. It's like they told Alfa System 'hold my beer'.
You can turn off all the talking/story etc and play it like a straight up shmup.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

i don't know if it's someone from the forum, but I saw a story post on Instagram this morning from someone called TurboThunder16 testing lag on the mini. So far, they're seeing 1/4 frame in all games tested, including Lords of Thunder. I personally have found the experience to be pretty spot-on in the games I've spent time with so far.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Are you saying 1 to 4 frames, or "1/4" frame? 'Cause it was confirmed in several places that there is some lag, for sure. All I know is that it plays great in my setup, no lag that I can feel and much better than I was afraid of after the big wave of reviews.

One YouTuber already posted his review of the 8bitdo wireless pads, so that release is imminent and they look very nice. I hope the small added lag from the 2.4 GHz connection won't push things over the line for me. A nice wireless controller (well, and the incoming mod) will really complete this package for me.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Oh nice! M2 doing splendid work as usual.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Well, that's certainly a splendid result, but it's in conflict with any number of previous postings. I wonder what's going on here.