shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 am 

I have been waiting for them to announce a PCE Mini and, although I only own a NG Mini I think that it's a welcome prospect for many - even those of us who've been playing on these platforms for eons and have many of the titles.

Actually, these days I have been playing a Bittboy mostly as it's simply easier and more portable and requires no set up time.
It's a bit of a faff to find the game then set things up I find when I do have the time.

I was interested in ordering the original white PCE - it's a beauty still and it's the first that I owned and still own - but games list wise the Core I is more suited to me.

On the subject of Sapphire: I own it myself but I have to say that although it looks pretty it's nothing special game play wise - stick to Soldeir Blade or Nezxr or GunHed.
I bought a Terra Onion PCE device - haven't had chance to use it yet - but it should save time in finding games. I fancy playing the Nexzr summer carnival '93 release to see how the taikai modes play. Can anyone recommend it and what's the opinion on taikai/competition special modes and editions on the PCE? I have seen the special taikai edition of GunHed and Soldier Blade but I don't own them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:38 am 

parodius wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.

Salamander is indeed a plus, but too bad the included Splatterhouse for US/Eur is the censored US version with the red mask...

Still on the fence with this, I like the idea and most of the games are worth the price alone but I can't help feeling like it's a kick in the balls when you see Splatterhouse is the censored version and Snatcher (unless it's translated which i would doubt)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 pm 

garrz32 wrote:
parodius wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.

Salamander is indeed a plus, but too bad the included Splatterhouse for US/Eur is the censored US version with the red mask...

Still on the fence with this, I like the idea and most of the games are worth the price alone but I can't help feeling like it's a kick in the balls when you see Splatterhouse is the censored version and Snatcher (unless it's translated which i would doubt)

I went ahead and I'm getting the EUR version from Amazon.jp (I should had done this a long time ago). TG-16 Mini looks ugly to me. Splatterhouse is so-so, I just want the shmups, or the jailbreak where I can load up the Mini with Hucard Roms and ISOs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 am 

Domino wrote:
the jailbreak where I can load up the Mini with Hucard Roms and ISOs.

Good luck on that actually happening. Only time will tell if enough of these hackers give a shit enough to bother modding a mini version of a console that probably only a few thousand people in the West even know about.
SERIOUS BUSINESS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 am 

I don't know, anything 'new retro' is pretty popular, techie guys ar super curious and low key compete to show what and who can, then for some it's even a market.

Plus, b/c of the internet and emulation any console is known, even to tons of people who have had no relationship to most of the machines since they weren't even born.
Collectors will buy it anyway, especially considering this could become one of the rarest 'minis'..

Then well...even if the jailbreak never happens, it's sill a nice nostalgia toy. Personally I've missed tons of opportunities to get a proper NEC setup (the worst luck I had since in the hobby really) and today every hardware solution is quite expensive, magnitudes more.
So I'll still see it as a 'consolation prize' acquisition (pun intended)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 pm 

Xyga wrote:
I don't know, anything 'new retro' is pretty popular, techie guys ar super curious and low key compete to show what and who can, then for some it's even a market.

You may actually be right about that. I try not to think about how childish and petty so many of these people in these hacking communities are, but you make a very good point.

Quote:
Collectors will buy it anyway, especially considering this could become one of the rarest 'minis'..

You may also be right on this, since artificial scarcity is the name of the game nowadays. Scalpers will basically drive up the price of anything that exists just on principle nowadays. We'll see how it turns out, but I can't see too many people caring outside of Japan.
SERIOUS BUSINESS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 am 

Call me shallow but I had to go with the white PCE just so it matches the color scheme of my full-size cute bastard. Also got an additional turbo controller, but managed to convince myself out of buying the 'turbotap' since my OG one is still in a vacuum-sealed pack. The odds of my actually getting 5 people together to play Bomberman are next to nil, and were that to happen it's going to be Saturn Bomberman anyway.

Re: the shmups, I do think Gate is the biggest missed opportunity; it's not as flashy as Lords but it easily stands its own as a Thunderforce ripoff, even beating its inspiration in some respects. And if we're getting Air Zonk (which is a fantastic game), why not its companion piece Coryoon? That game is criminally undermentioned in most PCE shooter discussions.

edit: Also, regarding scalpers in Western territories, I think that hoarding these is probably a losing economic proposition. Scalpers were able to exploit the NES mini/SNES mini releases because the original distribution was pretty limited and Nintendo is a huge brand with tons of nostalgic appeal. I can count the number of people I knew grewing up who owned a TurboGrafx on one hand, and they were playing stuff like Keith Courage and Splatterhouse, not Spriggan and Dracula X. Most people who have a passing curiosity for these games are going to load them up on an emulator or play one of the numerous re-releases in the case of Rondo, not spend $100+ on a physical object they have no memory of or nostalgia for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm 

it290 wrote:
regarding scalpers in Western territories, I think that hoarding these is probably a losing economic proposition.

Yes.

it290 wrote:
Scalpers were able to exploit the NES mini/SNES mini releases because the original distribution was pretty limited and Nintendo is a huge brand with tons of nostalgic appeal. I can count the number of people I knew growing up who owned a TurboGrafx on one hand...

I can count them on one finger.

it290 wrote:
...and they were playing stuff like Keith Courage and Splatterhouse, not Spriggan and Dracula X. Most people who have a passing curiosity for these games are going to load them up on an emulator or play one of the numerous re-releases in the case of Rondo, not spend $100+ on a physical object they have no memory of or nostalgia for.

Bingo. More for me. I mean, "us."

Though to be fair, we really did play a ton of Air Zonk, Galaga '90, Monster Lair and Aero Blasters. Oh, and Valis II. That game was the shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 pm 

What's the game with the girl with the helmet with wings?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:46 pm 

evil_ash_xero wrote:

From that description, I'm betting it's Valkyrie no Densetsu (Legend of Valkyrie). Namcot release, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 am 

evil_ash_xero wrote:

Brünhilda the game! ;)

Spoiler: show
I agree that it's legend of valkilly, but I couldn't resist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 am 

Yup, a sort of adaptation of the original arcade release. There was a fan-translation made available a few years back from the pcefx forums that you can find at the usual sites.

Still making me hope there are some translations, but what a silly hope to hold on to.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:50 am 

The Genesis and MD minis will have multiple languages and versions available, though some games are only available in one version. Telling from the Asian md mini page, Wrestleball doesn't play as Powerball with the system set to English. It's likely MWIV will be translated since it was translated for previous M2 releases. Langrisser II is on the Asian MD mini, which has mostly games available in English language versions, though I'm not sure on that one being translated. M2 has a couple translated games, but some are left untranslated, so I wouldn't count on a new one for tg16 mini, though it is possible.

Offline Profile