Horgihugh + a highscore contest w/ Furukawa swag

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Azure Eternal

Horgihugh + a highscore contest w/ Furukawa swag

Post by Azure Eternal »

Anybody see this? Haven't picked up the game yet but they're running a highscore contest with an Aki signed sountrack which is preeeeetty tempting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046980/HORGIHUGH/
Shepardus

Re: Horgihugh + a highscore contest w/ Furukawa swag

Post by Shepardus »

Jaimers mentioned in his recent video that the game features apparently infinite boss milking, so that could be a problem for a score contest. Game looks fairly cute and fun though.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Coming to Nintendo Switch thanks to Aksys Games

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/1 ... qED0cdSzoQ
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Oh hey, I was wondering if we'd ever get the Switch version? Anyone know how much it's been changed? I played a few minutes of the PC version and thought it was just kind of okay.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Just stumbled onto this one thanks to Amazon's algorithm. They had me at: Featuring artwork by Kou (Mega Man 2X, Shantae) and music by Motoaki Furukawa (Gradius II, Metal Gear, Policenauts).
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
jehu

Post by jehu »

Found this release a little early in the local game store, so I picked it up out of curiosity.

I wish I hadn't. More than anything, it inspires apathy - so I'll keep things brief. The music is nice and the graphics are serviceable. And it goes straight downhill from there. The level design is supremely uninspired, the mechanics aren't interesting, and it just doesn't feel good to play.

The trailers never made it look good, and it isn't.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

jehu wrote:Found this release a little early in the local game store, so I picked it up out of curiosity.

I wish I hadn't. More than anything, it inspires apathy - so I'll keep things brief. The music is nice and the graphics are serviceable. And it goes straight downhill from there. The level design is supremely uninspired, the mechanics aren't interesting, and it just doesn't feel good to play.

The trailers never made it look good, and it isn't.
Thanks for the heads up - almost picked it up on a whim.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

On paper it sounds good when you see who worked on it from a presentation perspective, but watching it in action it looks like a mid-tier PC Engine game. Going to have to pass on this one.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

DL'ed the Switch port of Horgihugh and it looks ace on the upgraded OLED variant Switch setup. I like the cool blimp "shop" that appears from time to time that allows you to buy "upgraded" weaponry for each given stage (reminds me of the shop that appears in the classic Capcom's Forgotten Worlds arcade coin-op & the NEC PCE Super CD-Rom2 port as well).

I think a 4:3 screen option (+ a handy built-in scanline filter option) would be ace in addition to the already present widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio with the Switch's OLED screen. Horgihugh doesn't have that slick overall screen presentation with the 1st-gen Swtich's old-school LCD screen setup though as it does with the OLED Switch setup.

There's no high score screen to input your high score initials but just a single high score header with the highest score to date (it's save to NVRAM for posterity indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Two word review: Horgi-Poo

This thing looks and plays like a browser app from the early 2000's. SO many poor design decisions.

For example: Less than a minute in, you'll encounter your first Shop. Here, the game presents you with a menu filled with options and prices, so you stop to read through them and see what depth the game has to offer only to see that THE SHOP IS TIMED and you had better make your choices and gtfo to go back to the boring action asap.

It seems easy enough, so I'm hoping to get my $25 out of it as a lazy weekend 1CC, but I'd stay away or wait for a serious sale to bite on this one.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
cawley1

Post by cawley1 »

Hmm. I did buy this on a whim because I love stuff like Parodius and Harmful Park, it arrived yesterday and I didn't open yet, maybe I won't bother for now! :|

I did get a distinctly PC Engine vibe when looking at the screenshots, and comments on a couple of YouTube vids are favourable - maybe it's a bit too basic for SHMUP connoisseurs?
Metacritic reviews currently have it on about 73%, based on three reviews, so doesn't sound like a total write-off.

Might take it on holiday with me in a couple of weeks, I am sure it will while away the time a bit if nothing else...