Super Shooting Towns and Flying Shark - interesting shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Super Shooting Towns and Flying Shark - interesting shmups

Post by awbacon »

Super Shooting Towns is like Mario Maker for shmup games, but it comes bundled with an unnamed yet super fun and competent bug themed shooter that’s super fun to check out. Additionally I showed off some gameplay from Flying Shark in a combo vid on FM Towns Marty Shmups

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NP7VgD8vTVA

Anyone ever build anything with Shooting Towns? The program was too hard for me toncrqck due to the Japanese
lkermel

Re: Super Shooting Towns and Flying Shark - interesting shmu

Post by lkermel »

That's cool! I'm curious, is Super Shooting Towns a little bit like the Dezaemon series? Well, it looks like SST also allows you to create side scrolling shooters, right? I think all versions of Dezaemon were exclusively designed to create vertical shooters if I remember well. Always wanted to get my hands on an FM Towns, maybe one day! Thanks for sharing! :)
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I’ve never had a chance to try them, but they sound identical. You can do horizontal or vertical in Super Shooting Towns. I’ve tried to figure it out but the language barrier in the tutorials is way too high a bar to stumble through
lkermel

Post by lkermel »

The Dezaemon series is a lot of fun! The Famicom and Super Famicom versions are more collection pieces though. But Dezaemon 2 for the Sega Saturn is great and comes with several user-made shooters (and the editor is easy to use, although you need to know some Japanese). There is even a homebrew tool to transfer user-made shooters onto the Sega Saturn memory card. Dezaemon Kids is also cool and comes with an extra CD with 100 user-made shooters :)

And I was completely wrong, you can also make horizontal shooters with Dezaemon 2!

Thanks again for posting all these FM Towns videos! You now have a new sub! :)
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I’ll def have to look for a copy of the Saturn version!

Glad you are enjoying the videos!