Battle Garegga PS4 digital download Europe?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Flashman

Battle Garegga PS4 digital download Europe?

Post by Flashman »

Hi all :D

Does anyone know why Battle Garegga on PS4 is not currently available on the PSN in Europe - I’m based in the UK - and has it ever been? I fancy testing my metal against this one, but the only way to get hold of a copy currently, seems to be to pay pretty steep eBay prices for a region free physical version - obviously I’d prefer physical but in this case, it be happy just to download it at a fraction of the cost.
Necronom

Re: Battle Garegga PS4 digital download Europe?

Post by Necronom »

Long story short: has never been available outside of Japan (Asia?) and the US. I don't believe that this will change.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

I'm in the UK and just bought it digitally from the Japanese store. There are tutorials online on how to create a JP account and can buy PSN credit from Play Asia digitally. You can also play it using your primary PSN account. It's really not very complicated and once you have the account, there are a bunch of other releases worth getting hold of. If you get stuck with any Japanese text, pointing the Google Translate App at the screen usually does the job.

Unfortunately, you've just missed the more reasonably priced Limited Run physical version... https://limitedrungames.com/products/li ... aregga-ps4
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:Unfortunately, you've just missed the more reasonably priced Limited Run physical version... https://limitedrungames.com/products/li ... aregga-ps4
Ah I’m always late to the party with anything like that! Yep the copies on eBay are more in the £40-50 territory - it looks good but not a premium, new release price, good. I’ve heard about the Japanese store thing before, I think I’ll give that a stab, truth be told the only reason I prefer physical releases with anything current gen is to protect against servers going down etc.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Broadly speaking, a lot of smaller publishers, Japanese ones in particular, struggle with the different certification requirements demanded of them by the various platforms. PS4 is particularly troublesome because Sony hasn't signed onto to the IARC rating system, which means devs still have to deal with PEGI, USK, etc which is not only very time-consuming but also relatively expensive and often cost-prohibitive for smaller publishers/games, so if they're not sure they'll recoup the expense it can be a daunting commitment.

I know they said they wanted to properly release Garegga and other games in Europe--they've heard the requests, including in-person at Stunfest--but who knows if or when it'll happen. They're working on Switch now so if I had to guess, I'd say they might attempt to properly roll out their older releases worldwide as they bring them forward to Switch, but I have no idea.