Question about Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
komatik

Question about Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

Post by komatik »

I have a question for anyone who owns an actual physical copy of this game and has played it on actual PCE hardware:

In every emulator I've tried, the sound effects are total ass. Just a bunch of buzzes, beeps, clicks, and static.... like they were created with a random noise generator in 1970. The music is fine, the voices are fine, everything else is fine, it's only the sfx that are whack. It's not specific to my computer because random Youtube videos feature the same problem.

Is this actually what the original game sounds like or is there just something weird that makes it hard to emulate properly?
SuperDeadite

Re: Question about Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

Post by SuperDeadite »

komatik wrote:I have a question for anyone who owns an actual physical copy of this game and has played it on actual PCE hardware:

In every emulator I've tried, the sound effects are total ass. Just a bunch of buzzes, beeps, clicks, and static.... like they were created with a random noise generator in 1970. The music is fine, the voices are fine, everything else is fine, it's only the sfx that are whack. It's not specific to my computer because random Youtube videos feature the same problem.

Is this actually what the original game sounds like or is there just something weird that makes it hard to emulate properly?
Totally accurate, it's how the game really sounds like. To the game's credit, each of the 12 shot types each uses a unique sound effect, and how many different laser sounds can one come up with? lol.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Question about Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What's interesting about Hudson Soft's Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire is upon booting it up on a TTI (Turbo Technologies Incorporated) variant Turbo Duo console setup, it'll freeze up past a certain point and will not further advance -- that's a given. I had to break down and get an NEC PC Engine Duo-RX console setup that'd play this particular Arcade CD-Rom2 title without any problems upon booting it up from a "cold start". Of course, one'll need a proper Arcade Card Duo or Arcade Card Pro Hu Card to play any of the cool Arcade CD-Rom2 titles indeed (including GFDS). Tis a shame that there weren't any other Arcade CD-Rom2 shmup titles released to really take advantage of the power afforded with the extra RAM with an Arcade Card Duo or Arcade Card Pro upgrade to show off what the aging PCE Duo could do during it's eventual swan song lifespan. NEC's 32-bit powered PC-FX console was graced with a single STG title during it's short console run.

TTI Factoid time: Back in January of 1994, TTI announced that they weren't going to release any more new gaming console hardware (including the upcoming NEC PC-FX console) stateside, so thus that meant for the American retailers that sold NEC Turbografx-16 & Turbo Duo hardware & software to start selling them off on the cheap to make more room for incoming new Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games on the retailer's shelves during that point in time. Makes me wonder if TTI did decide to release the PC-FX in the USA, what new software titles would've been released from American software developers/publishers (i.e. -- Digital Leisure's Dragon's Lair/Space Ace/Dragon's Lair II would've been ace to see/play on the PC-FX -- considering the impressive FMV capabilities of the PC-FX itself). Any of the 1980's Laserdisc arcade game titles could've easily been released for the PC-FX if you think about it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~