Contra: Rogue Corps

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
scrilla4rella

Re: Contra: Rogue Corps

Post by scrilla4rella »

Like I said before, the Contra demo was mildly engaging but it sure as shit isn't worth $40+ to me.

Thanks to this thread I found out about Nex Machina, which came up for sale on PSN for $10 and after hearing good things I went ahead aaannd----~~____ HOLY SHIT THIS GAME is exactly what I need in my life right now!!

Thanks everyone 8)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Blazing Chrome and Super Cyborg are some good classic Contra (styled) titles
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Marc wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:I like Hard Corps Uprising. Arc System Works did a fantastic job.
I felt it was passable as a console game, dreadful as an arcade game.
Something about how it played was off to me. Even with Krystal, it felt a lot heavier than other Contras. Bosses were really spongey. Like REALLY spongey.
And personally, I hated every aspect of it's visuals from the designs to the graphic style. Nothing about it reminded me of Contra and the dull music didn't help out either.
(Also those Sonic 06 tier load times were OP)

I feel like the pinnacle of the series is Contra 4. WayForward made that game with a tremendous degree of respect. Only issue I had were the bosses being too easy even if they were all quite fun and inventive.
Someone mentioned Super Cyborg. That one's supremo gaming.
heli

Post by heli »

ATTRACTS wrote:overheating guns
LOL, who ever made this is not a fan.
Maybe they play counterstrike only.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

heli wrote:LOL, who ever made this is not a fan.
Maybe they play counterstrike only.
yeah i bet that nobuya nakazato guy has never even heard of contra before
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

So I bought this at launch but didn't have time to play it until recently. It's been patched a bunch, and no longer noticeably laggy. I played through the whole game. People love shitting on it but it's actually good and in my opinion better than Neo Contra.

It has a slow start, you have to play for many hours of underwhelming repetition before the game opens up. It has couch coop! But only for the late game randomly generated stuff. I'm honestly confused why they let the beginning give such a bad impression. Expect to hit a wall and need to min max and craft guns to progress. The eventual core game is shooting through randomly generated levels, with enemies with random modifiers (fire, poison, etc). There's a huge variety of weapons to explore, and a long sequence of progressively harder random levels. Think Diablo but with intense action gameplay. If a loot-based dungeon crawler + twin stick action sounds fun to you you'll have a good time... As long as you can deal with PS2 quality graphics.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Better than Neo Contra...?
Austin

Post by Austin »

"Loot-based dungeon crawler" and "Contra" aren't two things I'd normally expect to exist in the same sentence.

I do still want to play the game but I'm waiting for it to drop significantly in price. Apparently there was a major sale on the Xbox One version over the holidays (something like $15 for a copy), but I failed to jump on it and it's back up to $40. I checked Best Buy over the weekend as well and both PS4 and Xbox One copies were still listed at $40 as well.

Speaking of Neo Contra, I revisited it a few weeks back after not giving it much time when it was current. I had a pretty good time with it (finished it twice with poor ratings, getting the bad ending). Seems to be fairly overlooked and underrated in my book. Looking forward to clocking more time into it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Neo Contra is a really good game! Definitely don't believe the hate.
colour_thief wrote:you have to play for many hours of underwhelming repetition before the game opens up.
(...)
Expect to hit a wall and need to min max and craft guns to progress. The eventual core game is shooting through randomly generated levels, with enemies with random modifiers (fire, poison, etc).
(...)
If a loot-based dungeon crawler + twin stick action sounds fun to you you'll have a good time...
To be completely honest here - you aren't selling this awfully well :|
Vanguard wrote: yeah i bet that nobuya nakazato guy has never even heard of contra before
i bet that nobuya nakazato guy really had nothing to do with this game
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

I can only describe that atrocity like this: WORST...CONTRA...EVER. You'd rather play a Metal Slug game than this.

I mean, who on his right mind would thought it was a good idea to include weapon overheating, a delayed button response, sluggish experience grinding, no functional pause in 1 player (go make a sandwich and you'll be killed) and a terrible aiming system?. A shame since the game was produced by the director of Contra III.

It's so bad that puts Contra: Legacy of War and C: The Contra Adventure to shame.

Also, the Vic Viper cameos are a mockery to Gradius. ¿Rusted Vic Vipers, ships thrown to the water?, Looks like a "We don't care" message from Konami.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sumez wrote:Neo Contra is a really good game! Definitely don't believe the hate.
To be fair, it looks like reception to the game had totally warmed up recently.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:It's so bad that puts Contra: Legacy of War
While Rogue Corps doesn't look amazing, I will say it looks infinitely better than Legacy of War. That game has so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.

I do have a soft spot for C: The Contra Adventure as a mildly enjoyable third-person platformer/shooter (with a few 2.5D stages and top-down levels thrown in for good measure). It didn't deserve the Contra name, but I enjoyed it enough for what it was.
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

Sumez wrote: To be completely honest here - you aren't selling this awfully well :|
Good! I'm not trying to sell everyone on it. Only trying to communicate that the hate bandwagon is way overblown and there's a decent game in there for a certain audience (it's more important to like dungeon crawlers than Contra). Gameplay-wise it is improvised chaos, not set pieces, but it does get intense and can hold your attention through a decent amount of loot runs. I think I played like 60 hours.

I bet Nakazato was involved with character design and story. This was pretty decent and wacky in a Neo Contra way... but I wouldn't recommend any Contra game for the story so I didn't mention it.

FWIW I can eg. S rank Neo Contra, and in general I'd be way more excited about a new Hard Corps than Rogue Corps. I'm literally just saying this game isn't as bad people say and is fun overall.
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

colour_thief wrote:I bet Nakazato was involved with character design and story. This was pretty decent and wacky in a Neo Contra way... but I wouldn't recommend any Contra game for the story so I didn't mention it.
I kinda hope not as the characters and dialogue didn’t feel like a Contra game at all. Far too many profanities and playing on the story for cheap laughs, Contra used to play it straight for the most part. I would have thought that he of all people would have treated the story (as much as it is with Contra) with respect.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

This is $3.99 on Switch eshop right now. Haven't played much yet but going in with extremely low expectations I actually thought it seemed decent (for the price). Kinda mind boggling they originally priced it at $39.99 though...
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>