Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

banjoted

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW/PC), And a NEW COTTON GAME!

Post by banjoted »

So let me get this straight - I'm still waiting on my Strictly Limited pre-order when I could just order through Amazon.com and get it in June? Is there any reason for me not to do this?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

banjoted wrote:So let me get this straight - I'm still waiting on my Strictly Limited pre-order when I could just order through Amazon.com and get it in June? Is there any reason for me not to do this?
Nope! Or just order the Japanese version and get it by next week. Forget these scalper companies.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

subcons wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Update is live for Switch too
Did they ever fix the language settings so you can turn it back to English on the Switch version?
No, but you can still just push the restore default settings option in the settings menu and it'll go back to English, even with the newest patch.
Jonpachi wrote:
banjoted wrote:So let me get this straight - I'm still waiting on my Strictly Limited pre-order when I could just order through Amazon.com and get it in June? Is there any reason for me not to do this?
Nope! Or just order the Japanese version and get it by next week. Forget these scalper companies.
This.

Also, is it just me, or did they finally make some updates to the visual issues of bullets getting hidden behind a lot of other crap? Seems a bit easier to read bullets in arrange mode after the update to me.

Also, Appli is quite overpowered but fun to use. Not quite broken, but a few steps above Cotton or Silk for most intents and purposes. Needle is also quite powerful, with a strong forward shot and some slightly less powerful back shots that are really helpful. Just got a Normal 1cc with Needle on the first try.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

JP ps4 LE is on sale
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B08LDKYZWD
5267yen (a bit below $50) + shipping
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
subcons wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Update is live for Switch too
Did they ever fix the language settings so you can turn it back to English on the Switch version?
No, but you can still just push the restore default settings option in the settings menu and it'll go back to English, even with the newest patch.
Can people stop claiming this, because this does not work on Switch. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread but restoring defaults on the Switch version does not set it back to English.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

MachineAres might be referencing the PS4 version, since he's pretty vocal about how shitty shmups are on switch. :P
At the very least, Cotton is one of the best-playing and controlling games on the Switch, so it gets some nice marks in my book.

I got the 1cc last night! I used a goodly amount of Lightning barrier spells to protect me towards the final stage and final boss, which I went in mostly blind. Wool was giving me a run for my money (especially once I learned those rocks could hurt you) but I pulled through in the end.

It must be said that the patch to improve the visibility really makes a difference. Before I would be getting hit and losing lives like crazy on the stage 4 dragon boss, or in particularly nasty sections like the underground tunnels in stage 5. There can still be some visual clutter but the readability is much, much better than it was before.

I tried out Appli before bed last night (stayed up till 2am playing Cotton; not the best idea). It's a shame she and Needle don't have dedicated cutscenes, but unlike Ares' experience with Pril, I at least appreciated that the two banter back and forth (in Japanese) throughout the game, kind of like a consolation story mode. Appli is really strong; her shot rips through things much more quickly it seems.

Also a reminder:

JOIN THE COTTON HIGH SCORE THREAD!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah same situation . Feel like cancel that order and just get the JP release instead.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

EmperorIng wrote:MachineAres might be referencing the PS4 version, since he's pretty vocal about how shitty shmups are on switch. :P
But they quoted people specifically talking about the Switch version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: Also, is it just me, or did they finally make some updates to the visual issues of bullets getting hidden behind a lot of other crap? Seems a bit easier to read bullets in arrange mode after the update to me.
It's not just you. Improved bullet visibility is mentioned in the update notes of the PS4 version.
MachineAres 1CC

BrianC wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote: Also, is it just me, or did they finally make some updates to the visual issues of bullets getting hidden behind a lot of other crap? Seems a bit easier to read bullets in arrange mode after the update to me.
It's not just you. Improved bullet visibility is mentioned in the update notes of the PS4 version.
Nice, I didn't get to read the actual patch notes, but good to have a confirmation.
Johnpv wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:MachineAres might be referencing the PS4 version, since he's pretty vocal about how shitty shmups are on switch. :P
But they quoted people specifically talking about the Switch version.
I thought I remembered hearing this also worked on the Switch version at some point, but I guess not? I'm playing PS4, and it's always worked on there.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

This sounds like a dumb question but how do I switch characters? I see the option in the Options menu but it doesn't let me pick it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You need to beat the game first before the other characters unlock. I don't think 1cc matters.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

JOIN THE COTTON HIGH SCORE THREAD!

With that out of the way, another 1cc, this time with Cotton 2's Appli! Her stronger shot I think makes the game easier - I think this was the stated intention by the devs (a character that anyone can 1cc with, something like that). The way her shots arc back before firing forward make tricky sections like stage 4's descent much easier.

Definitely would have been nice to have some custom cutscenes, but her and Needle are more gifts for the fans than anything else.

Also, I am trying to make sure I know what all the magic charge attacks do, to rate their use/effectiveness:

Red: Fairies turn into homing fireballs that buzz around and cause contact damage
Blue: BARRIER! Essential shield power imo
Green: ????
Purple: turns all crystals into black crystals and scoops them in. Not worth it?
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

How are people scoring so high in this game? I've topped out at about 250 million. These 700 and 800 million scores are crazy.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You have to use your jewel fever shot frequently. Leave crystals on-screen, shot through them, and enemies killed/damaged by this new attack build up your meter on the bottom left. Once it's 100%, activate Fever mode, and continue to kill enemies by shooting through crystals for huge multipliers. Each time you activate fever mode you can build up to the next 'level' which increases the multiplier value up to x1058 or something like that. It's best to activate fever when you can reliably kill lots of enemies on the screen with crystals.

Keep in mind if you shoot crystals too much you will make them 'black' which blocks your shot (can be very dangerous!).

If you time your fevers correctly, you will have 150 million or more on the first stage alone. The first boss has that phase of shooting out small heads which can also be milked for a long time.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Buffi wrote:JP ps4 LE is on sale
Got it today. Took three days from ordering it from amazon jp.

Definitely recommend it over LRG

Edit: wtf, they reduced price even more, I guess this sold like garbage or something lol. It's less than half the price of the Limited Run Games version now
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Buffi wrote:

Edit: wtf, they reduced price even more, I guess this sold like garbage or something lol. It's less than half the price of the Limited Run Games version now
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered:
Does the Japanese physical release display in English if the console language is set to English?

Also LRG must be getting crushed. They are falling further and further behind on their shipping schedule and many of their recent releases have barely sold and are now being released in the west on Amazon at a much lower total cost.
I've been a fan of their efforts, but continual shipping delays, absent communication, and twice shipping me the wrong items... I'm just holding my breath that they can follow through and ship what people have paid for.
Special World

Post by Special World »

They patched out the english on the JP version :roll:

Funnily enough, just got an email from SLG that they sent out my copy of Space Invaders Invincible.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
MachineAres 1CC

Koa Zo wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked/answered:
Does the Japanese physical release display in English if the console language is set to English?
On the PS4 version, yes. Switch version is no, from what people are saying.
Also LRG must be getting crushed. They are falling further and further behind on their shipping schedule and many of their recent releases have barely sold and are now being released in the west on Amazon at a much lower total cost.
I've been a fan of their efforts, but continual shipping delays, absent communication, and twice shipping me the wrong items... I'm just holding my breath that they can follow through and ship what people have paid for.
I'm hoping their bullshit scalper market they've helped inflate over the last several years is finally starting to collapse. They need to buckle their shit down and start actually doing better business otherwise they deserve to crash and burn.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Buffi wrote:

This isn't being handled by LRG, its SLG, two completely different companies.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Can someone get me up to date please. From what I'm understanding, Cotton Reboot is Japanese PS4 and Switch for now? I'm assuming I should go with the PS4 version. And Limited run is also doing their version in June? I'm assuming the Limited run version will have all the patches on disc..
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Strictly Limited (not Limited Run) are doing a version sometime around June, and Inin are doing a non-limited retail edition in North America and Europe the same day it's coming out on the eshop in June.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Gamer707b wrote:Can someone get me up to date please. From what I'm understanding, Cotton Reboot is Japanese PS4 and Switch for now? I'm assuming I should go with the PS4 version. And Limited run is also doing their version in June? I'm assuming the Limited run version will have all the patches on disc..
No way of confirming this unless we have it in hand or if SLG tells us straight up
Creamy Goodness

Just 1cc'ed arranged last night with Cotton. From all the reviews and videos I have seen I am surprised no one mentioned how easy this game is. Considering how notorious the original is for its difficulty I'm surprised everyone let this by. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to shmups and I thought lack of save states or practice features would make the 1cc nearly impossible. Surely didn't think I would do it in a week. Even the X68000 version feels much easier than the arcade, although definitely more difficult than arranged. Not complaining as it is a great game, just unexpected.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Also I don't think there is much a difference between Switch and PS4 versions here. I have the Japanese Switch version and it runs/plays great. Though I also pre-ordered the non-limited release on Amazon for the PS4 version.
MachineAres 1CC

Creamy Goodness wrote:Just 1cc'ed arranged last night with Cotton. From all the reviews and videos I have seen I am surprised no one mentioned how easy this game is. Considering how notorious the original is for its difficulty I'm surprised everyone let this by. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to shmups and I thought lack of save states or practice features would make the 1cc nearly impossible. Surely didn't think I would do it in a week. Even the X68000 version feels much easier than the arcade, although definitely more difficult than arranged. Not complaining as it is a great game, just unexpected.
It wasn't as easy if you played it around when it first launched. It had issues with bullets getting covered up by effects and explosions and causing plenty of nonsense deaths. If you've just played it now, with the new patch applied, the difficulty is quite a bit easier with that issue resolved.
Creamy Goodness

EmperorIng wrote:You have to use your jewel fever shot frequently. Leave crystals on-screen, shot through them, and enemies killed/damaged by this new attack build up your meter on the bottom left. Once it's 100%, activate Fever mode, and continue to kill enemies by shooting through crystals for huge multipliers. Each time you activate fever mode you can build up to the next 'level' which increases the multiplier value up to x1058 or something like that. It's best to activate fever when you can reliably kill lots of enemies on the screen with crystals.

Keep in mind if you shoot crystals too much you will make them 'black' which blocks your shot (can be very dangerous!).

If you time your fevers correctly, you will have 150 million or more on the first stage alone. The first boss has that phase of shooting out small heads which can also be milked for a long time.
Cool. Thanks. After a bit more playing I got a little better with Jewel Fever strategy. I didn't really put 2 and 2 together about shooting through crystals for multipliers, but strategically using magic to kick up the jewel meter as well as playing the game like a Cave game and waiting for the screen to fill with enemies before blasting went a long way. Still not scoring crazy high, but that is fine since I play more for survival. But I was able to kick my score up enough to stack extends to 1cc the game.
Creamy Goodness

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Just 1cc'ed arranged last night with Cotton. From all the reviews and videos I have seen I am surprised no one mentioned how easy this game is. Considering how notorious the original is for its difficulty I'm surprised everyone let this by. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to shmups and I thought lack of save states or practice features would make the 1cc nearly impossible. Surely didn't think I would do it in a week. Even the X68000 version feels much easier than the arcade, although definitely more difficult than arranged. Not complaining as it is a great game, just unexpected.
It wasn't as easy if you played it around when it first launched. It had issues with bullets getting covered up by effects and explosions and causing plenty of nonsense deaths. If you've just played it now, with the new patch applied, the difficulty is quite a bit easier with that issue resolved.
I guess that would make the game seem much harder at the time it was reviewed. But sans cheap deaths the game is really easy. Only the stage end bosses really posed a threat and that was only at the later stages.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

@ Ms. Tea
@ Shelcoof
Thank you both for the info.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Just got my Japanese Switch copy today; Amazon had it for Y3300, so even with shipping it's cheaper than the Inin version coming out next month. Really excited to dig into it! I love Cotton so much, though I've played more of Boomerang than the original.

For anyone who's patched their copy, do you know if they left in the French translation or did they take that out too? I know the patched version still has Chinese and Korean.