Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

MachineAres 1CC

Re: Cotton Remake/Port - AND A NEW COTTON GAME!? [PS4/PC/SW]

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Jonpachi wrote:I really wanted to get into this game, but the lack of save states just makes it a bit of a slog. G Darius HD has been stealing my shmup time instead.
I think Cotton Reboot is definitely short enough that it doesn't really get to be a slog for me. I think the whole game is maybe 12 minutes? Maybe 15 max, and I just never felt like it was too much of a chore to do another run if I screwed something up.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Looks like Cotton Reboot on the switch got updated to 1.02 last night. There seems to be at least one score over 2 billion, so that's encouraging. Of course, now we need some western superplayers to bust out their soytendos, put away their smash bros carts, and blast onto the high score leaderboards! :lol:

I've been enjoying the game slooowly so far, trying to savor it. Not really credit feeding yet (because I don't want a high score with it on the boards).
Special World

Post by Special World »

Yeah, I hate that. I creditfed to get the extra character and now i’m salty about that score.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I have an unboxing video of the deluxe Japanese version on YouTube if anyone's interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVr1It2rH8

I really really love the deluxe set. but I have mixed feelings about the game.
It's not terrible by any means, but everything about it screams "budget" even though it was >$40 USD and >$90 USD for the deluxe version.

The game lacks an overall polish that Cotton games are known for. The menu music is god-awful, the graphics have that cheap flash animation feel (Instead of the quality sprite artwork Success is known for), the game is severely lacking in pacing due to the unreasonable load times between each level and each cut scene, the cut scene text font and images are terrible to say the least, as is the translation of course.
There's no inclusion of the wonderful PC engine soundtrack of the original game, and even if you set the music to arcade mode, once you get the game over screen it still uses the arranged music. There's just an apparent lack of detail and care that went into it.

I also feel like the levels for the earlier stages are pretty unbalanced. It feels a total breeze until you get to the bosses on 1 and 2

I also don't feel like this game is cotton much at all. It feels more like Death Smiles 2.5.

That's the bad news. The good news is, the game is quite fun to play. It "has it where it counts" in that the chaining fever system is quite fun. The caravan mode is also a joy to play and I found myself credit feeding it over and over again.

The arranged soundtrack is so-so, fits the new game well, but it's not something I go out of my way to listen to outside of it. Kind of a bummer because these tracks have wonderful melodies, but the person or band playing them clearly isn't a huge Cotton fan / it has that "paid for hire" arrange OST feel.

Oh also, no scanline options or 4:3 options for the original X68k feel. And I think it even has worse loading times than the original floppy disks (I used to own it).

Anyway, this probably sounds like a harsh review. I know people are enjoying the game a lot so feel free to ignore me :) Hopefully the original game they're making will be much better. Also, is it just me or is anyone else tired of the original game being remade 1,000 times? Where's the love for cotton 100%, panorama, boomerang, rainbow?
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

You can turn off the cutscenes in the options if you like. They're cute but pointless, and it's nice to not have to mash the skip button between stages.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

So was there never anymore info about a PC version? I noted a bunch of stuff said it was coming to PC, but that all seemed to be from back when it was announced. Can't find any confirmation since then.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

STGAlmond wrote:So was there never anymore info about a PC version? I noted a bunch of stuff said it was coming to PC, but that all seemed to be from back when it was announced. Can't find any confirmation since then.
heard/seen nothing. However, I bet they're just waiting for the physical sales to finish spiking. That's what I would do if I was them, otherwise they would potentially lose a lot of money / upset their partnerships with the physical distributors.
You can turn off the cutscenes in the options if you like. They're cute but pointless, and it's nice to not have to mash the skip button between stages.
Yep, I found that option. Helps a little bit. I like the cut scenes in the original game, the ones here are just so poorly re-created with extra load times. In the original game, where there's no loading, they are a nice addition. Not so much here though.
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

So I finally got my "Asia English" copy from Play-Asia today...which turned out to be nothing more than the JP release with a different rating sticker slapped on the outer wrapping. So of course it has the "updating removes english language" problem. So I guess I'm curious, do the updates that have been released so far fix anything of significance or am I fine sticking with the 1.0 cart version for now? Obviously I can't see or participate in leaderboards without updating but I'm fine with that honestly.
CricketyJimit

Post by CricketyJimit »

drunkninja24 wrote:"updating removes english language" problem.
Strangely enough, it turns out you can still play in English even with the updates, you just need to go to the options and "set to default" each time you load the game. Hopefully not just an oversight - the translation isn't great but it'd be a shame if it was patched out completely.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

CricketyJimit wrote:
drunkninja24 wrote:"updating removes english language" problem.
Strangely enough, it turns out you can still play in English even with the updates, you just need to go to the options and "set to default" each time you load the game. Hopefully not just an oversight - the translation isn't great but it'd be a shame if it was patched out completely.
This doesn't seem to work at all for me, went ahead and updated but if I go into the options and hit the button for default settings, everything is still in Japanese.

Unless you're referring to something else here but as far as I can tell, I'm now stuck in JP unless I reset my Switch it seems lol
poodude

Post by poodude »

I have been having a lot of fun with this game. It feels like deathsmiles as a cute-em-up. It's nice to finally be able to credit feed through the game and enjoy the art. It's also pretty heavily discounted on Amazon Japan now, so the deluxe version works out to about $50. Not a bad deal.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

drunkninja24 wrote: This doesn't seem to work at all for me, went ahead and updated but if I go into the options and hit the button for default settings, everything is still in Japanese.

Yeah same here.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I went so far as to delete everything Cotton from my Switch's memory, but it still boots to Japanese. So if you've done the upgrade, it seems like there's no way back.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Such an annoying patch lmao. I learned scoring stuff about the game from the shmupjunkie vid because they patched out the english scoring instructions. Truly an asshat move.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
baconcow

Post by baconcow »

I was going to ask if the Japanese Switch version had English patched back in, but it looks like it hasn’t. Has there been any word about a physical version coming to North America?

After watching Shmup Junkie’s video, I hope they do something about the visual noise in the new version (large obscuring multipliers and such).
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I've been playing Reboot way too seriously, and trying to conserve my spells like I did in the original game. Yesterday I tried a run where I just let loose and used my spells at any point I felt I was getting cornered. I skated through to my first 1CC, and then did it again this morning with Silk. This game is like Dr Strangelove - Learn to stop worrying and love the SPELL!
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

baconcow wrote:Has there been any word about a physical version coming to North America?
It's been available for pre-order at least three months now. SLG partner store.
baconcow

Post by baconcow »

prophetic wrote:
baconcow wrote:Has there been any word about a physical version coming to North America?
It's been available for pre-order at least three months now. SLG partner store.
Thanks. I was hoping to see a North American version that might show up in shops here in Canada (Amazon, VGP, BB). Customs and handling fees tend to be very high through some couriers so I tend to buy within Canada or through Amazon (since they charge for the fees up front).
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Inin seem to say there will be a standard edition, though there's zero information on when it's coming out. Probably coming out when the digital version comes out worldwide though. https://www.iningames.com/games/cotton-reboot/
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The PS4 version still has the English. The default settings trick still works for that version after the latest update.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Jonpachi wrote:This game is like Dr Strangelove - Learn to stop worrying and love the SPELL!

"Eat the Willow! EAT IT!"
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

City Connection just announced a Cotton 2/Cotton Boomerang/Guardian Force compilation at Shootersfes. Coming out for Switch and PS4 in September. https://www.4gamer.net/games/567/G056757/20210424009/

Boomerang's been a longtime fave so I'm really excited for this!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Holy fruits, that's something I never thought I'd see - Boomerang in particular is a personal favorite, it's gonna be tough resisting picking this up...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

On a related note, in May the first DLC characters for Reboot will drop, allowing you to play as Appli and Needle from Cotton 2

Appli will be an over-powered easy mode character for beginners while Needle will be a skill-based character for scoring.

And apparently the new Cotton game will be coming out on arcades?

I would have never thought I'd see a release of Cotton 2/Boomerang... and not only that, they are adding in the awesome Guardian Force too!
Soon it'll be time to flip my saturn copies on ebay for a nice roi 8)
I can't wait to give Boomerang a serious go, since mame makes it unplayable after stage 2. That little taste is so promising though!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I used Cotton 2 to test the HD Retrovision cables/saturn adapter and OSSC. I couldn't read the text, but I'm under the impression that Cotton and Appli were fighting over willow?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

An English translation now exists for the game, so you can finally see for yourself the intricate plot and complexities of Cotton 2!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5999/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey that was unexpected, re: Cotton 2/Boomerang/GForce. Best of all, judging by Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix, they'll probably use Saturn code, IE, input lagless Guardian Force. :cool: (they BETTER use that version, or at least fix the STV cart's boned input woes :shock: feels good retiring long-serving discs AND cutting out loadtimes for TEH REAL ARCADE FEEL Image)
EmperorIng wrote:An English translation now exists for the game, so you can finally see for yourself the intricate plot and complexities of Cotton 2!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5999/
Cotton, a fairy story about addiction, and why you never get between a junkie and her fix Image /cut to acres of incinerated, electrocuted, cryokinetically murdered ghosts and shit
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Ms. Tea wrote:City Connection just announced a Cotton 2/Cotton Boomerang/Guardian Force compilation at Shootersfes. Coming out for Switch and PS4 in September. https://www.4gamer.net/games/567/G056757/20210424009/

Boomerang's been a longtime fave so I'm really excited for this!
I wonder if this will be emulation or a port.

I think the ST-V hardware would be hard to properly emulate.

Also Guardian Force will it be the ST-V or Saturn version?
I know the ST-V version has terrible lag vs the Saturn having none of that.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

I wonder if there will be a physical for Boomerange and Guardian Force and who will be doing it. Will Dispatch get the opportunity to steal more money?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I guess the cover artwork suggests that all three titles will be included on the physical versions:

https://i.imgur.com/S7NNNSf.jpg