Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
31%
TSU
29%

Total votes: 95

Jonpachi

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW), and now, COTTON ROCK N' R

Post by Jonpachi »

I was kind of excited to see Umihara Kawase show up, but then the character art appeared. She used to be a fairly modest, somewhat androgynous character, but the de-evolution of her character design has become a visual crime scene.

This was my first experience with the series

And now we're fully into sexualized 3rd grader territory
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm not a fan of the art style, but I think it's simply meant to be a cartoony art style. Silk looks odd in the style too. Umihara was drawn with big breasts ever since Shun.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Yeah she's had big honkin' tits for a while now. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to be a 3rd grader anymore.
drauch

Post by drauch »

EmperorIng wrote:Longer Cotton Rock n' Roll gameplay video now, about 4 minutes of footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQqvnMlnUQ

Hey, the centipede doesn't look like a ps2 simple series enemy anymore. Progress!
Ah, thanks for this. Definitely looks a lot better than the initial screens. I went ahead and picked up the pre-order with the Cotton fig beforehand anyway, 'cause I need that I love me some Cotton.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

DietSoap wrote:Yeah she's had big honkin' tits for a while now. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to be a 3rd grader anymore.
Child Kawase in Sayonara aside, she never really was. She was actually supposed to be 19 in the original SFC game, and 20 in Shun and Sayonara.

Cotton has never been a series I've been very into, but Rock n' Roll looks like a game I might very well pick up on an eShop sale.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Someone looked at the scoreboards being set up for Rock n' Roll on one of Success' websites, and it looks like the 4 (initial?) characters are:

Cotton
Umihara
Psyva Ria
Vein

I suppose we can deduce what gameplay styles these two, as of yet unrevealed characters will bring.

There was a loketest today, apparently, but I can't find if there was any streams of it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vein better not have any of the ice-skating inertia! Strap a nice pair of tits on it for ballast Image
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Imma 'bout to opt out of this entirely. GROSS.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Cotton website showed another guest character (a girl in a red dress). ルフィー
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

BrianC wrote:The Cotton website showed another guest character (a girl in a red dress). ルフイ-
Wow, that's a deep cut. That's Luffee from Doki Doki Poyacchio, some kind of life sim game by M2 from 1998. Apparently she's also in Umihara Bazooka.
KAI

Post by KAI »

EmperorIng wrote: Psyva Ria
here's Saiba Ria, an anthropomorphic version of axion-μ from psyvariar delta
she can buzz

The other character on the left must be Vein
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ms. Tea wrote:
BrianC wrote:The Cotton website showed another guest character (a girl in a red dress). ルフイ-
Wow, that's a deep cut. That's Luffee from Doki Doki Poyacchio, some kind of life sim game by M2 from 1998. Apparently she's also in Umihara Bazooka.
Not surprisingly, searching for the kana brought up a certain One Piece character.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Strictly Limited sent out a new email to their mailing list teasing editions of Saturn Tribute and Cotton Rock'n Roll. Unclear if there's going to be anything different about Saturn Tribute given we already know the worldwide digital release won't have an English story mode - might just be an English package that's identical to the Japanese retail release?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Apparently, the Cotton Rock n Roll has been recently released to Sega AMP3 internet-connected arcade with console release coming in a few months. However the shocking surprise is that Exa Arcadia has secured the game with new exclusive features such as 2 player simultaneous.
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 6004908032
Mero

Post by Mero »

MrJBRPG wrote:Apparently, the Cotton Rock n Roll has been recently released to Sega AMP3 internet-connected arcade with console release coming in a few months. However the shocking surprise is that Exa Arcadia has secured the game with new exclusive features such as 2 player simultaneous.
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 6004908032
The All-Net release won't have much shelf life then.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Here is a new video of the arcade version

https://youtu.be/enwA0cKok7A

Looking slightly better than what is shown in the recent console version trailer.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rock n' Roll also now has physical Japan editions up for Pre-order and there are 4 of them.

-Normal edition (5000 yen)
-Limited edition (8000 yen) includes a fantastic Cotton Nendroid figure, soundtrack, and Cotton series art book
-Amazon limited edition (11000 yen) includes everything from the regular limited edition plus a Silk DLC
-Famitsu DX pack (15000 yen) includes everything from the normal limited edition plus a tapestry, an extra soundtrack disc, new tea cup, and a bromide set.

I'm pretty damn happy about this set and finally getting a proper Cotton figure after all these years
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
KAI

Post by KAI »

Full playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=152D-4yfK90

this game looks awesome, and apparently is thanks to the team behind the umihara series according to the credits. Can't wait to play it.
MachineAres 1CC

KAI wrote:Full playthrough

this game looks awesome, and apparently is thanks to the team behind the umihara series according to the credits. Can't wait to play it.
Confirmed that Cotton Rock n' Roll is now fully playable on home PCs. As is the arcade version of Rolling Gunner :D Gonna jump into this later today :D
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Please let me know your impressions! I haven't had the chance or wherewithal to set this up but the video makes it look a little on the easy side. Maybe not though! The scoring at least looks satisfying and pleasant.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:

Confirmed that Cotton Rock n' Roll is now fully playable on home PCs. As is the arcade version of Rolling Gunner :D Gonna jump into this later today :D
Rolling Gunner, you say? Is that a thing that's accessible to the masses?
MachineAres 1CC

banjoted wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:

Rolling Gunner, you say? Is that a thing that's accessible to the masses?
They are, more or less. You need to look into the app that lets you run them at home, it's pretty easy to find. Not sure if it's against rules to post about it here or not, but it has the initials TP.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Only watched part of this so as not to spoil the whole game for myself, but a couple of things jumped out at me:

- They seem to be leaning particularly hard into the silliness this time, at least as far as the between-stage story sequences are concerned; they look goofier than ever, and I couldn't be happier.

- Off the cuff it appears that scoring is based almost entirely on using bombs offensively; seems they're carrying on the approach from 2 and Boomerang that your main shot is basically a backup for when you can't kill enemies the "right" way.

- On that note, is it me or does it look like the "tornado" bomb is much more useful than the other two? It covers more space and lasts longer than either the fire or lightning bombs, and at a glance it doesn't appear that the latter two make up for that in terms of raw damage or anything else. Maybe I'm just missing something.
-Amazon limited edition (11000 yen) includes everything from the regular limited edition plus a Silk DLC
Is there any additional info floating around about this? Amazon.co.jp does have an "exclusive to Amazon" version of the LE up, but it doesn't seems to mention anything different than the "non-exclusive" version's page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not sure if anyone's already posted footage of Vein and Ria. (EDIT: And Luffee.)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Not sure if anyone's already posted footage of Vein and Ria. (EDIT: And Luffee.)
Interesting that all three runs go without tea for a secret bonus. Did previous games have that too?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ Yep! Stay away from that tea!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

...unless it's a retailer-exclusive preorder bonus!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Speaking of preorder bonuses, that Cotton nendoroid sure is cute. I dunno I can be bothered to get a special edition, but it *is* adorable.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BulletMagnet wrote:Not sure if anyone's already posted footage of Vein and Ria. (EDIT: And Luffee.)
Wow they did a fantastic job with this. I can't decipher the moon runes but it looks like each character brings their own unique mechanics. Bravo.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Some additional footage of Umihara, as well as Appli, who seems to retain the ability to grab and toss enemies from 2/Boomerang.