Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

BulletMagnet

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW), and now, COTTON ROCK N' R

Post by BulletMagnet »

Panorama Cotton is out October 29th.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Panorama Cotton is out October 29th.
Shame there's still no news about Cotton 100% as it's the vastly superior game in every way. I imagine it can't be too far behind. I just hope lag isn't an issue for these, cause boy would that suck ass if this turned out as laggy as Cotton 2.

Also, all I want from the collector's edition is the tea accessories, but don't think I can justify the price for that. It says the phyiscal edition won't ship til around February next year. It doesn't look like Japan is even getting a physical edition of Panorama, which is kinda weird.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

C100% will be availabe the same day. The listings are up on strictly already

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/ ... connon-100

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I seem to recall some folks here saying Cotton 100% is only worth it if you crank the difficulty to max; otherwise it's pretty snoozy.

That collector set looks like grabber-overload to me, but at least I can pick these up as digital. I mean, they can't really be selling an entire PS4 disc that has a SNES rom on it, can they???
MachineAres 1CC

EmperorIng wrote:I seem to recall some folks here saying Cotton 100% is only worth it if you crank the difficulty to max; otherwise it's pretty snoozy.
Personal opinion, but I think it can still be fun even without hiking the difficulty, and has the best aesthetics in the series.
That collector set looks like grabber-overload to me, but at least I can pick these up as digital. I mean, they can't really be selling an entire PS4 disc that has a SNES rom on it, can they???
They definitely can, and are. I'm passing on the collectors editions, they're WAY too expensive for not really anything of much value. The teacup designs look quite bad, and I think the cups are tiny, even smaller than previous ones. I'll probably pick up the games themselves, at least for 100%, but even the discs by themselves are way more expensive than they should be.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, pretty bonkers. Wish it was like when shit was just like a poster only and no/marginal upcharge. All the paper nicknack stuff is clearly just going to rot in that box, 'cause what else do you do with it other than look at it once and just stash it back in there.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% are out now. Haven’t heard anything about how good the ports are or even who’s doing them. Panorama is $18CAD and 100% is $15CAD, that’s probably something like $15 and $12 US?

Panorama: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/p ... on-switch/
100%: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/c ... nt-switch/
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Came here hoping somebody had found some information about the porting jobs. Guess not yet. The eshop does list the publisher as ININ, so I'm going to hope that means the quality is above a city connection hackjob. Both games are listed at $15 US.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ms. Tea wrote:Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% are out now. Haven’t heard anything about how good the ports are or even who’s doing them. Panorama is $18CAD and 100% is $15CAD, that’s probably something like $15 and $12 US?

Panorama: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/p ... on-switch/
100%: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/c ... nt-switch/
I read on Twitter that Panorama is done by the same people who did Turrican Flashback and Gleylancer.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Shmups on Switch has a review of it on youtube. The porting job is apparently very similar to the other Ratalaika port of Gley Lancer. Ratalaika handled the port for Cotton 100%. So expect the same features and options as the Gley Lancer port. My best guess is lag will probably be similar too. I don't know exactly what the lag situation is with Gley Lancer, but 5-7 frames or so is probably not far off. Again, I don't know (because nobody is fucking lag testing these games!), but most switch shmups have around 5 frames of delay. The shmups on switch review guy mentioned he didn't notice any particularly bad input delay.

So if you bought Gley Lancer, I think Cotton 100% is probably a safe purchase. My issue with it is more that it's twice the price of Gley Lancer (more when you consider Gley Lancer had a sale on release, while Cotton has none.) I don't have any nostalgia for these games, so my picking them up is solely based on if I think they're going to be enjoyable. And if an old game is cheaper on release, then I'm more likely to throw some dollars at it. $15 is starting to get up into that Live Wire territory.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Gley lancer is also a much better game than Cotton 100%, so there's that too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steam page for Reboot is up, though the release date is just "coming soon".
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

The date in the sidebar says November, so - that's soon! PC version's self-published by Beep but looks like it'll have English.
To Far Away Times

Been on a Cotton kick as of late and against my better judgment I bought the Cotton 2 port with tons of input lag. I'll have a chance to play it later today and see how bad the lag is. It's a shame since Cotton 2 otherwise seems like quite a good game from the limited time I've spent on it before.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It looks like Cotton's localized name will be Cotton Fantasy... which is a lot lamer than Cotton Rock n' Roll. At least they kept the Superlative Night Dreams subtitle. Why fix what isn't broken?!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

So I downloaded both Cotton 100% and Panorama Cotton on Switch. In terms of responsiveness, they both feel about the same as Gley Lancer.. so a hair laggy but certainly playable.
That said, the aspect ratio for both releases is wildly inconsistent (I'm using similar display settings for Gley Lancer, PC and 100%). I've added Sega Ages TF IV and NSO SNES Pop'n Twinbee for reference:

Also, Cotton 100%'s audio is really shrill on my setup. Also also, the audio cuts out entirely when a midboss or boss enters the screen or is destroyed (does the original cart behave in a similar manner?).
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Kiken wrote:So I downloaded both Cotton 100% and Panorama Cotton on Switch. In terms of responsiveness, they both feel about the same as Gley Lancer.. so a hair laggy but certainly playable.
That said, the aspect ratio for both releases is wildly inconsistent (I'm using similar display settings for Gley Lancer, PC and 100%). I've added Sega Ages TF IV and NSO SNES Pop'n Twinbee for reference:

Also, Cotton 100%'s audio is really shrill on my setup. Also also, the audio cuts out entirely when a midboss or boss enters the screen or is destroyed (does the original cart behave in a similar manner?).
The music cutting out on mid bosses seems to be on the original cart (checked first level). PC emulation also cut the music so i guess its a quirk of the game and not an emulation issue.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

EmperorIng wrote:It looks like Cotton's localized name will be Cotton Fantasy...
Outta curiosity, what's the source for that? My Google-fu is failing me...
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

It's at the end of the English Panorama Cotton trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHgjI7V1-rA "Fantasy" is pretty bland compared to the original title. I don't mind them changing it if they really felt like they had to but they should have picked something more fun.

When I saw the eShop screenshots with the stretched-out screen for Panorama Cotton I figured they were just advertising it with some bad 16:9 stretch and there'd be a proper aspect ratio option in-game. It really looks like that with no option to fix it? That's weird.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Thankfully you can change the aspect ratio in all the Ratalaika Games ports, including in Panorama Cotton. The 4:3 option looks a bit too wide to me though, was the game’s native rendering resolution an odd one?

Also, in Cotton 100% the game is stuck in 8:7 rendering mode, which has to be a bug. Choosing any other option does nothing. Many sprites, particularly the bosses, were clearly drawn with 4:3 in mind so they appear squashed.

A more pressing concern - it seems the PS4/Switch release of Panorama Cotton has some damning emulation inaccuracies, most notably the absence of certain sprites. This is obvious from the beginning where stage 1 on real MD hardware should display rocks on the sand, which are entirely absent from the new version. Worse is the absence of level scenery and projectile sprites that can damage Cotton. Does anyone else have the same issue?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

harborline765 wrote:Thankfully you can change the aspect ratio in all the Ratalaika Games ports, including in Panorama Cotton. The 4:3 option looks a bit too wide to me though, was the game’s native rendering resolution an odd one?
No, but the way Genesis renders games on CRT screens looks oddly squished and some 4:3 ratios try to fix this rather than using the actual 4:3 from the system.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

harborline765 wrote:A more pressing concern - it seems the PS4/Switch release of Panorama Cotton has some damning emulation inaccuracies, most notably the absence of certain sprites. This is obvious from the beginning where stage 1 on real MD hardware should display rocks on the sand, which are entirely absent from the new version. Worse is the absence of level scenery and projectile sprites that can damage Cotton. Does anyone else have the same issue?
Yeesh, that's nasty. I looked it up and a few different reviews are saying the same thing, which is pretty bad. Doesn't sound like ININ's commented on it either. https://www.gamesasylum.com/2021/11/03/panorama-cotton/
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Ms. Tea wrote:
harborline765 wrote:A more pressing concern - it seems the PS4/Switch release of Panorama Cotton has some damning emulation inaccuracies, most notably the absence of certain sprites. This is obvious from the beginning where stage 1 on real MD hardware should display rocks on the sand, which are entirely absent from the new version. Worse is the absence of level scenery and projectile sprites that can damage Cotton. Does anyone else have the same issue?
Yeesh, that's nasty. I looked it up and a few different reviews are saying the same thing, which is pretty bad. Doesn't sound like ININ's commented on it either. https://www.gamesasylum.com/2021/11/03/panorama-cotton/
I think it was addressed here:

https://twitter.com/StrictlyDave/status ... 08128?s=20

Sounds like the PS4 patch may be out?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

SLG preorders for Rock n R...uh, Fantasy, will open this weekend. There'll be a LE, though no details yet on what's in it.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Inaccuracies aside, is Panorama Cotton even a good game?
To Far Away Times

Sima Tuna wrote:Inaccuracies aside, is Panorama Cotton even a good game?
I remember being pretty impressed by the smooth scaling compared to some of Sega's own offerings on the Genesis (and Sega were the undisputed leader in sprite scaling games in the arcade with Outrun, Super Hang On, Galaxy Force II, etc.), but I also never really returned to Cotton Panorama after trying it out, so... maybe?
AimeeSH

Post by AimeeSH »

BulletMagnet wrote:Steam page for Reboot is up, though the release date is just "coming soon".
Its available now on Steam page

$44.99 U.S. Dollar
37.99€ Euro
£31.99 British Pound
CDN$ 51.49 Canadian Dollar
A$ 64.95 Australian Dollar
¥ 4750 Japanese Yen
R$ 84,99 Brazilian Real
825 ₽ Russian Ruble
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

Cotton Reboot on Steam requires some fairly QOL improvements... No option to boot to FULLSCREEN other than ALT+ENTER and no EXIT other than ALT+F4. PIA for those that plan to integrate into their arcade setups.
MachineAres 1CC

SLG details are up for the Western release of Cotton Rock'n Roll, and the stupid title change to "Cotton Fantasy" is pretty weak.

It's a great set though, and does come with the Nendroid figure, so it's a no brainer for me. I had already ordered the Japanese limited set, but I'll likely just cancel it, especially since Amazon Japan is quoting $150 for shipping on the set...while this may be a mistake and could change, I don't want to give them the opportunity to charge me an extra $150 for nothing.

SLG will also have an additional tea cup set aside from the normal game set. They claim this is the last of the Cotton stuff they'll be doing for the forseeable future, which makes sense.

Pre-orders are live this weekend:

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/ ... 4-preorder

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/ ... t-preorder
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

hyp36rmax wrote:Cotton Reboot on Steam requires some fairly QOL improvements... No option to boot to FULLSCREEN other than ALT+ENTER and no EXIT other than ALT+F4. PIA for those that plan to integrate into their arcade setups.
Not to mention that it actually costs slightly more than the console versions and has a max resolution of 720p.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.