Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
31%
TSU
29%

Total votes: 95

Darkseed_5150

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW/PC), And a NEW COTTON GAME!

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

So is it fair to expect an English translation to be re-patched in to the JP version once the game officially releases In US?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

On Switch, probably but it depends. It seems very common for a single base game to be shared across regions, even with different publishers, but it’s not 100%. I’m under the impression it’s less common on PS4 but I’m not really sure.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

How many PS4 special editions did they make? The price is going down even more.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Ms. Tea wrote:For anyone who's patched their copy, do you know if they left in the French translation or did they take that out too? I know the patched version still has Chinese and Korean.
Answering my own question: tried it out on a friend's system, and French is gone too. I'll just leave my copy unpatched until the official English version comes out. I can deal with not playing as Appli/Needle for a little bit.

Speaking of which, it looks like it's been delayed into late July. Not sure what's going on there, since it seems like they were already mostly done back in February. Maybe a physical manufacturing thing? Because I can't see a translation fixup and some QA needing an extra month over the four months they already had.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Some Saturn Tribute news -

It's been said before, but City Connection have confirmed again on the official site that Saturn Tribute will have English support. Sounds like it's only the story that will be untranslated, which I'm fine with.

They've also finished posting the list of order incentives from different stores, in case anyone's interested in that. Here's what they say:
  • Clarice Shop - Mini Cotton figure, looks like maybe a small acrylic standee
    Beep - teacup (LE only)
    Amazon - clear file
    Amiami - transit card case
    1983 - shitajiki
    Neowing/CD Japan - can badge
    Rakuten - acrylic coasters
    Wondergoo - water absorption coaster
    Ebten - special LE containing a repro calendar, notebook, and acrylic keychain
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Ms. Tea wrote: 1983 - shitajiki
I have never heard this term before, I had to look it up:
Shitajiki (下敷き, lit. "under-sheet") is a Japanese word for various types of materials placed under a sheet of paper for writing, either to prevent marking on the sheets below or to provide a better surface for writing. They are usually referred to as pencil boards in English.

Shitajiki for handwriting are generally made of plastic about 1 to 2 mm in thickness, making them flexible but still durable. Typically, they are B5 sized (slightly smaller than U.S. letter size), although other sizes are also available (typically A4 or A5). Shitajiki for calligraphy are typically made of dark (blue or black) felt, and are available in a variety of sizes.

Merchandised shitajiki are very common, featuring images of everything from tourist attractions and celebrities to anime and manga characters. Most shitajiki designs only go through one print run, making them highly collectible and often difficult to acquire. Collecting shitajiki is a hobby for many anime and manga enthusiasts. As collectibles, shitajiki are also often used for decoration or other ornamental purposes.
Learn something new every day.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The name of the new Cotton game has been announced:

Superlative Night Dreams: Cotton Rock n' Roll!

Will feature some of the cast of Umihara Kawase and Doki Doki Poyacchio (a game I've never heard of) as playable characters.

Too bad in that they just seemed to knock it out of the park with the gorgeous pixel art of Cotton Reboot (seriously; it looks amazing!) and this one looks like it will have a cleaner 3D look (which is probably cheaper to make). This tiny screen does make it look like it will be a shootemup, though, so there's that! Apparently you can pre-order it already (!!!) from BEEP's store, for PS4 and Switch.
BIL

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW), and now, COTTON ROCK N' R

Post by BIL »

Great to see them keeping the momentum up!
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Simple flat shaded polygons on PS4?

Unless this improves a lot I'll stick with the classics.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

EmperorIng wrote:Too bad in that they just seemed to knock it out of the park with the gorgeous pixel art of Cotton Reboot (seriously; it looks amazing!) and this one looks like it will have a cleaner 3D look (which is probably cheaper to make). This tiny screen does make it look like it will be a shootemup, though, so there's that! Apparently you can pre-order it already (!!!) from BEEP's store, for PS4 and Switch.
Can't tell who's making this. The official site says it's being published by Success, not Beep, so I don't know if this has any staff shared with Cotton Reboot. https://cotton-rock-n-roll.success-corp.co.jp
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Telling from a translation of some of the text, it sounds like Cotton Rock 'n Roll will use the time system from (Starfighter) Sanvein and the buzzing from Psyvariar.
translation wrote:While keeping the comical world of conventional cotton and silk intact, the system includes not only the "COTTOn" series, but also the features of shooting games that Success Co., Ltd. has released to the world, such as the time system of "Zanfine" and the BUZZ system of "Cyberria"
Took me a while to figure out what "Zanfine" was.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hmm. While Sanvein's "topdown on ice" handling isn't easy to love, and definitely not ideal for a conventionally punishing STG (damage loses you time there, rather than lives/hitpoints), I always loved the frenetic bursts of controlled destruction. Could be interesting. As for the graphics, as long as they keep a solid 60fps with tight input response, I'm ok with 'em.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Anyone seen a teacup anywhere for this game yet? With Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute, it was BEEP-exclusive, but no teacup there this time.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

pablumatic wrote:Image

Simple flat shaded polygons on PS4?

Unless this improves a lot I'll stick with the classics.
lol. Me too.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Found the teacup. It's in the Famitsu DX Pack.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Looks like the Japanese version of Reboot didn’t get a patch to bring back the English/French text unfortunately.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Bought the eu/uk version on switch and read through a lot of this thread but so much to take in when ps/switch. Looking forward to giving it a go at the weekend.

Edit: had a quick go on arrange and like it a lot! See why someone said in other post reminds of deathsmiles gfx wise.

Anyone else with the trouble witches link wanting a switch version?
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Cotton Remake/Port - AND A NEW COTTON GAME!? [PS4/PC/SW]

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Porting my Reddit post.

English in-game instruction manual: https://imgur.com/a/EorSXaO
French in-game instruction manual: https://imgur.com/a/TWoCRig

Imgur put two images in the wrong order and wouldn't let me fix.
Jonpachi wrote:I went so far as to delete everything Cotton from my Switch's memory, but it still boots to Japanese. So if you've done the upgrade, it seems like there's no way back.
You can go back to Cotton 1.0.0 on Switch but you lose the patch with Appli and Needle and increased bullet visibility. Also can't access Ranking to view high scores.

1) System -> Formatting Options -> Initialize Console

This deletes everything but Photos folder and Cloud saves. Switch Online's NES and SNES saves are Cloud and can be imported back.

Takes a few minutes. Then after Switch setup:

2) Turn Auto-Update Software to Off before you restart Cotton.

3) Insert Cotton.

4) Data Management -> Data -> Settings -> Advanced Save-Data-Settings -> COTTOn Reboot! -> set to Off

I didn't do this after first factory reset and the game updated itself on my second start up.

Clear on any difficulty to get Silk and Sound Test back. May as well turn Online Ranking to Off in Game Settings to avoid leaderboard error messages after game clears.

WARNING: Switch will keep trying to trick you into downloading the update as the default option when you start Cotton. Even twice in a row before booting. Cancel if you don't see "Start Software" option and it'll come up next time.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Read most of this thread. I’ll be playing this! Thanks for all the info.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Can terrain kill you in this game? Under normal circumstances you just kinda slide around it or bump off it, or sometimes even clip through it when squeezed against the screen, but there are some times it seems like I've died inexplicably while tucked into a corner or such (even with a shield up, which should rule out enemies who sometimes get clipped inside the terrain).
(talking about the X68K mode here)

Also, am I correct in thinking that crystals have to drop or not be shot for a certain time period before shooting them again can change their color (or at least make the chance of changing color again more than a tiny %)? Sometimes I feel like I can just shoot a crystal forever and it stays yellow.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

My early experience with this, in a nutshell:

Speaking of additional playable characters, the game (US release) didn't download an update when I first started it up, so presumably the patch is on the disc; however, while the option to change your character is in the options menu it's seemingly grayed out, I assume you need to complete the game once to unlock it or something like that?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

lol at the "even worse version of twinbee" bit

Yes, you need to beat the game (with any amount of credits) to unlock the new characters.
sharak

Post by sharak »

I bought the Switch LE of this on release (btw the PS4 LE is above 7k yen at the time of writing), and can’t remember what I paid for it. I haven’t actually gotten (heh) around to playing it yet, as I’ve focussed on other games, then kind of forgot about it on the shelf in this big box.

If the game’s good then I should crack her open and give it a go. The English language thing is a bit annoying—patches removing things from games due to licensing or whatever is a bit… naff. Obviously I would like the improved bullet visibility, and in fairness, never expected the game to be in English when I bought it. Still, it’s a little annoying I now have this silly choice to make.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I never thought the whole English thing was an issue. It really is just the cut scenes which are not a hige deal for me. I'd take the bullet visibility over English cut scenes anyday. From what I gather the bullet issue is pretty game breaking.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I might be remembering wrong, but I bought the US switch version on the eshop and the translation seems different from what I remember from playing it on PS4. It's possible I could be confusing it with the TG-CD translation, though.
Creamy Goodness

Yes it is getting a console release. It is on Amazon right now, but won't ship until next month.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Yes it is getting a console release. It is on Amazon right now, but won't ship until next month.
It already did ship last week. (at least in North America)
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Yeah, I got mine a few days ago. (Just on a whim with Terminator Resistance to hit the free shipping tier, lol)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Creamy Goodness

Johnpv wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Yes it is getting a console release. It is on Amazon right now, but won't ship until next month.
Nice. I iust glanced at Amazon real quick and it was saying it would be delivered after 8/10.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Creamy Goodness wrote:
Johnpv wrote:
Nice. I iust glanced at Amazon real quick and it was saying it would be delivered after 8/10.
No idea there, I just looked and it says it can be delivered tomorrow. Maybe they were sold out when you looked.