Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

Warp_Rattler

Re: Cotton Reboot and COTTON ROCK N' ROLL! (2021, PS4/NSW/PC

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Sengoku Strider wrote:It's funny you say that about DHL though, they've been the best option for me by far. It's FedEx who are a nightmare to deal with every time.
I guess all things considered, they're not that bad--I've yet to have any problems with things not arriving or being totally mangled. I think what is irritating is the way that most shipments take several days to start updating the tracking info; the version of the DHL site that SLG confirmations link to likes to claim my tracking number isn't even a valid shipment for about four or five days before it starts providing updates. It all feels a bit janky at times, and I've had sketchy orders drop-shipped via no-name Chinese carriers that had better end-to-end tracking. At least they don't play the stupid "you must be home to sign for delivery during working hours!" game that FedEx loves.

I went a little isolation-crazy last year and ordered a number of games from different limited print companies that are finally starting to trickle in (which is like a fun present from past-me), and Limited Run Games recently switched all their shipping to DHL because it helped make some aspect of international orders much smoother/cheaper or something. Which seems like a nice change for international customers, given how frustrating the customs/tax situation seems to be, but for orders within the US, it means that a 4-7 day shipment via USPS now turns into two weeks. For the first week the package doesn't actually leave North Carolina at all, and then there's an extra day or two added onto the end for the awkward DHL→USPS handoff. At one point, I had an order ship from a Singapore retailer and one from LRG on the same day--in the height of COVID shipping delays--and the Singapore package showed up nearly a week before the LRG one.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:You didn't. It's not very fun. To quote myself:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:It's biggest problem it's that it's just kind of a janky mess. Very thrown together feeling, and not very fun to play.
That's good to know my memories are still somewhat accurate. It's too bad--as I said, I think the aesthetic was a lot of fun, in that sort of chaotic way that showed up a lot on the Dreamcast.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:And yeah, most Dreamcast games a VGA compatible (Gunbird 2 being a noted exception) with an adapter.
Sengoku Strider wrote:Fortunately Dreamcast is dead easy because of its VGA capabilities; it still plays nice with 99% of computer monitors.
I keep forgetting about VGA--probably because my TV doesn't have a VGA input. I never think to hook a console up to my computer monitor, but it would give me a reason to clear off my desk. There was a period when good VGA adapters seemed really hard to find and the market was flooded with cheap dodgy ones, but it looks like more high-quality ones are popping up now. It's been too long since I've had my Dreamcast out and running; I hope it still works. I've been a bit tempted to really go all out and replace the GD-ROM with an ODE, but it sounds like there's an annoying amount of additional work that needs to happen (some sort of tinkering with/replacing the power supply so it doesn't fry the card reader, plastic bits to fix airflow issues without the GD-ROM)...

Anyway, looks like my copy of Cotton has landed here in the States so I should have it in hand within the week!
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ayyyy, sorry I know I asked a bit back about patching for visibility on Reboot. Still no patch on US PS4 copies. Just want to confirm: people with JP PS4 copies, did it go up to 1.04? Thinking about just ditching this and picking up the JP instead at this point.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Mine arrived safe & sound on Friday.
Warp_Rattler wrote:At least they don't play the stupid "you must be home to sign for delivery during working hours!" game that FedEx loves.
THIS. That is why I hate FedEx. Multiple times a shipment hasn't arrived, after a week or so I go to check their site online, and I see "Business closed, left attempted delivery notice" from like 4 days before. Except I don't live in a 'business,' it certainly wasn't closed, I was sitting right there all day, and there was definitely no note left.

So then I'll be told that their exciting new service grants customers the opportunity to pick it up themselves, at their lone shipping centre on the other side of the city, hidden somewhere down in the docks. I love being given the chance to pay to do their job for them.

I even once had them never notify me of anything, and send a shipment back. I called them as they were in the process of doing so; after 40 minutes on the phone with 'Steve' over VOIP in India, I got through to the escalation manager, who told me there was nothing they could do and it was out of their hands. Except they were literally the only people on earth whose hands it was in. Like, their website even said it was sitting in their warehouse. They told me to work it out with the shipper and pay to have it shipped a second time. Y'know, once FedEx got around to shipping it back to them. Assuming it arrived.

That was when I swore I would never deal with those r@tf#ckers again. Their corporate culture appears to be beyond toxic. Waiting 3 days for DHL's website to acknowledge my shipment even exists is platinum-tier service by comparison.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Not to derail the thread, but I currently have a package that's been sitting in a FedEX warehouse for nearly a month.

They said they attempted to deliver (they didn't)
The next day, someone called me from FedEX saying that Google Maps (!) shows my address is actually a business. I explained that my address was the door next to the business as I live above said business (they have never heard of this before??). They said "okay, it will be delivered today"

For over THREE WEEKS it just keeps stating "delayed" on their site (when the site works, which isn't often), and every attempt to call Pakistan (or wherever) just leads to them telling me another attempt will be made "tomorrow," which of course, never comes.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Is there a way you could travel to a location and pick it up instead? I know it's ridiculous to suggest, but it sounds like they're too dumb to figure out how to deliver.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I forgot the official European release is this week until I saw this thread pop back up - a nice surprise!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sima Tuna wrote:Is there a way you could travel to a location and pick it up instead? I know it's ridiculous to suggest, but it sounds like they're too dumb to figure out how to deliver.
I don't have a clue. They just keep assuring me it will be delivered "tomorrow"

At this point I'm figuring it will eventually be sent back to the sender and I will be refunded. Eventually

About a year ago, the entire street had a problem with FedEX just leaving all packages outside, on an extremely busy street populated entirely by businesses. So thankfully, they're not doing that again.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Oof, I really hope that package finds its way to you soon. I had a fairly important package get sent to the USPS's dead letter office a while back after I had just moved to a new place; the company had bungled my (somewhat uncommon) last name and the overly-literal humans in the mailroom at my previous residence decided it wasn't close enough to the name on the address I'd been at for years, so instead of forwarding it on (because I had filled out all the forms to have mail forwarded to the new residence just for things like this) they declared it undeliverable and it went off into postal purgatory. It took a full afternoon of calling various post offices, distribution centers, and sitting on the phone for two hours waiting for customer service to free up, but I finally got the package dislodged and back on track. When these services work well, they're easy enough to ignore (or get irritated that my package that was supposed to arrive TODAY will instead arrive TOMORROW, etc.) but when things go wrong it is such a hellish time.

Anyway, my Cotton Fantasy arrived without issue and I put a bit of time into it last night. I only played as Cotton but it seems like the different characters could substantially change way the game plays (and scoring?) with their different abilities. I didn't read up on any strategies or whatever beforehand, so it took me a few runs before I figured out that using the magic charge drops score items. I'm used to stocking and sitting on anything bomb-like in most games, but apparently here the trick to a high score is using the magic as often as possible to sweep up bullets and enemies, or something like that?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

you should be using and refilling your magic crystals constantly, that goes for almost every character. Using magic skyrockets your score bell multiplier's chain, and when it's maxed out you should be using magic to generate as many bells as you possibly can.

Be sure to check out my currently-dormant score thread and drop some progress! :wink:
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'd def suggest trying out Ria/Psyvariar, as it feels like a whole different game and my personal favorite way to play. I'm not the biggest Cotton fan in the world, NOR the biggest Psyvariar fan, but somehow the gameplay ice-cream-sandwich found here is just perfect.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

EmperorIng wrote:you should be using and refilling your magic crystals constantly, that goes for almost every character. Using magic skyrockets your score bell multiplier's chain, and when it's maxed out you should be using magic to generate as many bells as you possibly can.

Be sure to check out my currently-dormant score thread and drop some progress! :wink:
Yeah, I was definitely starting to feel like the game doesn't penalize magic use at all the way bombs/special attacks are generally discouraged. I need to re-read this thread in more detail about the bell thingies--it certainly seems like there's some sort of Deathsmiles-esque change to their point values and such.

I was pretty pleased with myself when I found out that using magic on the Mike Wazowski-looking enemies in the second stage when they're firing their laser generates a pretty big stream of bells. I'll check out the scoring thread and see if I can post anything yet or if that'll give me something to aim for.
Jonpachi wrote:I'd def suggest trying out Ria/Psyvariar, as it feels like a whole different game and my personal favorite way to play. I'm not the biggest Cotton fan in the world, NOR the biggest Psyvariar fan, but somehow the gameplay ice-cream-sandwich found here is just perfect.
I don't know if I've ever played a Psyvariar game, but I do like buzzing/grazing mechanics in general. Bullets here seem a bit faster than the average danmaku, so I'm curious as to how well that works. I guess it was pretty obvious with the name and the BUZZ emphasis, but it's good to know that I am indeed smart and Ria is indeed a Psyvariar reference. I was trying to place where all the additional characters were from, but aside from Kawase and a decent guess for Ria, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to recognize them. I'm sure it's already been discussed in this thread--I followed it fairly closely during Rock N' Roll's original release and then completely forgot everything while waiting for my copy to arrive.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It's basically a whole new game with certain characters. The patterns are very much tuned on a per-character basis, so when playing as Ria you'll get slow lines of bullets to graze that you wouldn't see otherwise.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Has anyone bought the international version on Switch? I've read about some performance issues playing undocked :?:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Has anyone bought the international version on Switch? I've read about some performance issues playing undocked

Rock and Roll?
None that I experienced, and undocked is how I mostly played...
SPM

Post by SPM »

yes, but I mean the international version (Fantasy). Did you play that one? I know the JP version works well
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Oh, no. Only RnR
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SPM wrote:Has anyone bought the international version on Switch? I've read about some performance issues playing undocked :?:
I have. I haven't noticed any yet, but I only played on the first couple stages.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

So, I grabbed an Amazon deal on C:Reboot US version and something weird happened. I was trying to clear out the common trophies and the 5 minute one popped, the server froze, and now my trophy list doesn't show I go it. I've tried doing it 3 more times, nothing.

Also, the US version is listed as 1.0, no patches available. Is that correct?

EDIT: OK, so there was some sort of glitch, but I forced sync with my cloud trophies and the trophy showed up. Weird.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, those cocksuckers still haven't updated the US version. I've sent emails/messages to multiple fronts for the company and nadda (no surprise, but had to at least give it a shot).

*Edit, PS4 version still not up to date regarding Reboot.
Last edited by drauch on Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

drauch wrote:Yeah, those cocksuckers still haven't updated the US version. I've sent emails/messages to multiple fronts for the company and nadda (no surprise, but had to at least give it a shot).
The US Switch version seems to be up to date. Rygar on the US PSN STILL hasn't updated either (last I checked).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

DHL has apparently received word that my PS4 LE of Fantasy from SLG is on the way, so hopefully it'll actually be en route soon; SLG's updates page suggests that the LEs for Reboot are starting to ship as well.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Inin are publishing "Cotton 16-bit Tribute" for Switch and PS4 in Japan, a retail pack of Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% on one cart/disc: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SPE-1 Comes out in October, ¥5300 for the standard edition or ¥7315 for the special edition. Special pack includes a hankerchief, postcard, and two soundtrack CDs.

I don't really see the need to get these physical on either platform, but it's definitely a better deal than SLG's separate editions of Panorama/100%.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

I'm not used to buy "Anniversary Edition" of games, but I have received the "30th Anniversary Edition" of Cotton Rock N' Roll! from Amazon Japan, and it's a beautiful set for the price (6200 JPY). Also I really appreciate the quality of packaging work and shipping service from Amazon JP, it's soooooo better than Amazon France... :roll: :roll:
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I so much prefer the “Cotton Fantasy” name over “Rock n Roll’ that I might have to buy the former even though I already imported the latter.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Ms. Tea wrote:Inin are publishing "Cotton 16-bit Tribute" for Switch and PS4 in Japan, a retail pack of Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% on one cart/disc
Argh, this is a bit annoying. I got the standalone Switch version Cotton 100% from Strictly Limited (to ease my guilt at selling my boxed SFC copy about a decade ago). The price for each release was high for what you actually get, but I didn't bother with Panorama because that never really interested me. I certainly would have jumped on a dual pack like this (which is arguably how they should have been released in the first place, at least for the physical copies) had the option been available up front. Oh well. At least SLG is still generally committed to including decent manuals in their Switch releases.

I guess I didn't notice this earlier, but I like how the cover art for these two titles is an update to the original art--same overall layout, but done in the more recent Cotton style.
professor ganson wrote:I so much prefer the “Cotton Fantasy” name over “Rock n Roll’ that I might have to buy the former even though I already imported the latter.
I think I grumbled initially about the change from "Rock n' Roll" to "Fantasy" for the non-JP releases, but after spending some time with my copy I think "Fantasy" is a much better fit for the whole Cotton theme--certainly moreso than "Rock n' Roll."
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

FYI, the Japanese retail release of Cotton 16bit Tribute (100% & Panorama) is now up for order on Amazon.jp and Play-Asia, with the precise release date of October 28.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Has SLG started shipping Cotton Fantasy (collector or standard) ? Interested in the collector but i'd rather order when they're actually shipping them.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Lux wrote:Has SLG started shipping Cotton Fantasy (collector or standard) ? Interested in the collector but i'd rather order when they're actually shipping them.
I got my Switch standard from them back in... May? June? Or so? So those are definitely going out--not sure if there's any difference between Switch and PS4 shipping, though I had thought I'd seen others mention getting their PS4 copies. The SLG Twitter had a post about shipping having started for the collector's editions back in mid-July, so I'd assume those are out in the wild too.

For whatever it's worth, most of my orders from SLG have been preorders (and the rollercoaster of waiting that entails, though my last few have been a lot faster and a lot closer to the estimated release than, say, Cotton Reboot was), but I ordered a copy of Pocky & Rocky once they had them in-hand, and it shipped out just a few days later.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The Steam page for Cotton Rock'n'Roll is now up. It releases on January 6:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1364 ... HT_DREAMS/
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Not using Cotton Fantasy as a name, huh?