Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
31%
TSU
29%

Total votes: 95

BrianC

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW), and now, COTTON ROCK N' R

Post by BrianC »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Yes it is getting a console release. It is on Amazon right now, but won't ship until next month.
Was this in reply to the post where I mentioned I bought the game on the eshop? eshop=digital. The game is out. Last I checked, it's in stock on the US Amazon.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I emailed City Connection about Saturn tribute to find out if the standalone digital releases that are coming out worldwide are the same as the versions in the 3-in-1 digital pack. The answer is yes: the standalone versions will also have English system text but untranslated story. Too bad they won't be translating the story, but it's not terribly deep so that's not a huge loss.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There is a fan translation of Cotton 2 that came out recently that you can credit feed through a few times so you get the gist of it.

I think there's an English version of Guardian Force out there as well, but the 'story dialog' in that one is all of two screens, if not one. I don't even think Boomerang has a plot.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Sorry if this has been asked but, do we know for a fact cotton 2, boomerang and guardians force are staying Japan exclusive or are they headed west? I’d like to know before I import since lately it’s been taking months for my games to get to me after release.

Thanks!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

The standalone digital releases are coming west. The 3-in-1 physical release will be Japan-only. Both versions have the same content.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Awesome! Thanks!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Just got an email from SLG mentioning that they shipped Switch Cotton. Thought they said they were shipping later in October...
Looking forward to it.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Mero

Post by Mero »

Been playing a bit of X68000 mode, what makes it happen that sometimes I don't get tea time? Is it taking too long on a boss?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

DenimDemon wrote:Just got an email from SLG mentioning that they shipped Switch Cotton. Thought they said they were shipping later in October...
Looking forward to it.

I saw some got an email that it was shipping last week. I've heard nothing yet though.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Ms. Tea wrote:The standalone digital releases are coming west. The 3-in-1 physical release will be Japan-only. Both versions have the same content.
Any word if it will be a worldwide release at once. Want to know if my impatient ass should look into pre ordering.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I don't think they've said, sorry! My guess is it'll probably be a simultaneous release but I don't actually know.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:Just got an email from SLG mentioning that they shipped Switch Cotton. Thought they said they were shipping later in October...
Looking forward to it.

I saw some got an email that it was shipping last week. I've heard nothing yet though.
I can confirm. Just got it on the mail.

Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

DenimDemon wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Looking forward to it.

I can confirm. Just got it on the mail.

After spending the year watching the release date quietly get pushed back a month at a time until September/October, I was pretty surprised when my shipping email arrived out of the blue on the 4th. Gotta say, though, DHL is sure taking its sweet time getting it to me.

Now, it would be great if Rolling Gunner shipped a few months early as well, but Cotton having been my first experience with SLG I figure it's probably pretty silly to expect it before 2022.
Sengoku Strider

LOL it finally showed up today out of the blue. I never even got an email.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Am curious how/if this release differs from the Inin published version that came out last month? (which, incidentally, I picked up on release, cancelling my SLG order).
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same version of the game. Just the packaging is different.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Does anyone know if the leaderboards are worldwide?
I’m sitting much higher in the caravan modes than I expected I would.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

They may not be cross platform but as far as I can tell the Switch leaderboards are worldwide.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

banjoted wrote:Am curious how/if this release differs from the Inin published version that came out last month? (which, incidentally, I picked up on release, cancelling my SLG order).
SLG has a color manual & reversible cover. It's also individually numbered.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Ms. Tea wrote:I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same version of the game. Just the packaging is different.
Ah, OK. Ta.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Short video of Cotton Rock n' Roll gameplay

https://twitter.com/tomazo909/status/14 ... 8854781954
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Looks like a budget PS2 game. I'm holding out hope, but there's nothing going on there giving me much confidence in this project.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Jonpachi wrote:Looks like a budget PS2 game. I'm holding out hope, but there's nothing going on there giving me much confidence in this project.
In fairness, I think it looks like a mid-budget PS3 game. There's a whole lot of stuff out there at that level or below these days.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I do wish they had kept with a 2D art style for this. They did such a good job with Cotton Reboot.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Took Reboot on holiday with me, figured I'd get an hour's gaming before heading out for the day.
One credit per morning has seen me through to the sixth level, but literally 99% of deaths are down to the amount of pure shit on screen. Activating the multiplier at the right time essentially renders everything else almost invisible, I can't believe there's no option to turn this shit off - worse, there are points where it actually covers bullets!

Other than that it's really solid which makes such a glaring fault even more infuriating - perhaps I'll take a look at the X6800 version (seems nice enough from what I've played) or the arcade original on my Astro Mini.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Marc wrote:Took Reboot on holiday with me, figured I'd get an hour's gaming before heading out for the day.
One credit per morning has seen me through to the sixth level, but literally 99% of deaths are down to the amount of pure shit on screen. Activating the multiplier at the right time essentially renders everything else almost invisible, I can't believe there's no option to turn this shit off - worse, there are points where it actually covers bullets!

Other than that it's really solid which makes such a glaring fault even more infuriating - perhaps I'll take a look at the X6800 version (seems nice enough from what I've played) or the arcade original on my Astro Mini.
Have you connected online and gotten the patch? They did an update that does reduce some of the bloom and makes it much more legible.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jonpachi wrote:
Marc wrote:Took Reboot on holiday with me, figured I'd get an hour's gaming before heading out for the day.

Have you connected online and gotten the patch? They did an update that does reduce some of the bloom and makes it much more legible.
I'd plugged in it for a few creits before going, so I assume I'm running the latest version. It's mainly just the score notifications when using the multiplier - once you hit a decent number of popcorn it looks an absolute mess.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Johnpv wrote:I do wish they had kept with a 2D art style for this. They did such a good job with Cotton Reboot.
Not the same team. Cotton Reboot is Rocket-Engine + Studio Neon, who aren't working on Rock'n Roll at all.

That short video doesn't give a huge impression of gameplay, but could be fun. Curious to see how it'll turn out!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm hoping to see a video that shows the Psyvariar and Sanvein elements.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Longer Cotton Rock n' Roll gameplay video now, about 4 minutes of footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQqvnMlnUQ

Hey, the centipede doesn't look like a ps2 simple series enemy anymore. Progress!
BrianC wrote:I'm hoping to see a video that shows the Psyvariar and Sanvein elements.
Yeah, I haven't seen no buzzin' yet, cousin.