Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

pablumatic

Re: Cotton Remake/Port - AND A NEW COTTON GAME!? [PS4/PC/SW]

Post by pablumatic »

That is great news that three good (and expensive!) Saturn shooters will be playable on newer hardware. Gives more people opportunity to discover them.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Shelcoof wrote:I wonder if this will be emulation or a port.

I think the ST-V hardware would be hard to properly emulate.
I think it must be a port, emulation seems really heavy-handed and difficult when I'm sure they have source they could port much quicker and cheaper.
Shelcoof wrote:Also Guardian Force will it be the ST-V or Saturn version?
I know the ST-V version has terrible lag vs the Saturn having none of that.
Sounded like they'll all be based on the Saturn versions, but it doesn't really matter. If it's a port, they wouldn't be using the code responsible for introducing the extra ST-V lag anyways.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

trap15 wrote:Sounded like they'll all be based on the Saturn versions, but it doesn't really matter.
Hmm, that actually makes me wonder if they'll include the extras found in the Saturn versions, including the remixed additional mode in Cotton 2.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

We can guess the pack isn't going to be titled "Saturn Tribute" just because.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BulletMagnet wrote:
trap15 wrote:Sounded like they'll all be based on the Saturn versions, but it doesn't really matter.
Hmm, that actually makes me wonder if they'll include the extras found in the Saturn versions, including the remixed additional mode in Cotton 2.
I'd like to say Game Tengoku: Cruisin' Mix including the Saturn's arrange mode (and apparently sharing the Saturn version's nerfed loop, even in arcade mode) is a good sign they'll just port everything over wholesale... but I thought Capcom Arcade Stadium was gonna match the workhorse excellence of Belt Action Collection, and so far (pending PS4/XB/PC release), reception has been patchy at best. So I won't say anything just yet. :wink:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

EmperorIng wrote:On a related note, in May the first DLC characters for Reboot will drop
LOL

I still don't have my physical copy yet.
BIL wrote: I'd like to say Game Tengoku: Cruisin' Mix including the Saturn's arrange mode (and apparently sharing the Saturn version's nerfed loop, even in arcade mode) is a good sign they'll just port everything over wholesale...
They somehow haven't shipped physical copies of that yet either, lol.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

EmperorIng wrote:On a related note, in May the first DLC characters for Reboot will drop
I don't know if the original link specified as much, but according to this Appli and Needle are actually included free with an upcoming update.
neon guide

Post by neon guide »

Excuse my probably massive ignorance, I'm just looking at the Cotton collection on Amazon.jp, there seem to be two versions, same price but one is 'with original clear file', I have no idea what it means, any clues?
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

A clear file is a plastic file for keeping important papers in. Probably has some Cotton artwork on it. In Japan, clear files are used everywhere all the time.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

City Connection posted a tweet regarding an overseas release: https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... 2519623681
For overseas customers:
・The system text is available in English
・There are currently no plans to release the NA / EU exclusive physical edition by us
・The digital version will be available worldwide on Switch, PS4, and Steam
・The Claris Shop can handle orders from overseas
I'm guessing they don't wanna deal with Dispatch's crap again for physical. And hey, Steam release confirmed too.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I suppose that announcement leaves it open to any of the western boutique shops to offer up a physical version. Limited Run Games published Tengoku CruisinMix Special, also from City Connection. One of these groups will scoop it up.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Zeether wrote:
・The Clarice Shop can handle orders from overseas
shop link: Clarice Shop
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Zeether wrote:City Connection posted a tweet regarding an overseas release: https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... 2519623681
For overseas customers:
・There are currently no plans to release the NA / EU exclusive physical edition by us
I'm guessing they don't wanna deal with Dispatch's crap again for physical. And hey, Steam release confirmed too.
Good, at this point I feel like publishers should stay away from Dispatch. At least until they can prove they can actually ship the fucking games they took money for ages ago.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

SuperDeadite wrote:A clear file is a plastic file for keeping important papers in. Probably has some Cotton artwork on it. In Japan, clear files are used everywhere all the time.
Yep, it's essentially just a thin piece of clear plastic with some art on it. Certainly not worth an extra $30 for me. You can usually buy clear files with all kinds of anime and game art on them for like $1-3 each all over the place.

The only other things the special edition includes is some arcade card repros, a bootlet with dev interviews (all Japanese, obviously) and the Guardian Force soundtrack on CD. Whoopie.

Also, there's a small gashapon figure included if you buy from Clarice Shop, and it also comes with the regular edition. Too bad they don't ship outside of Japan!
Koa Zo wrote:
Zeether wrote:
・The Clarice Shop can handle orders from overseas
shop link: Clarice Shop
They do not. When you put the item in your cart and go to check out, it specifically says "this item cannot ship to your location!" The address section won't even let you change the country from Japan. They just said you can use a forwarding service that'll usually add quite a bit of extra money to your transaction. They also said their website has info about which forwarding service they suggest, yet there is no such information to be found.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
neon guide

Re: Cotton Reboot (2021, PS4/NSW/PC), And a NEW COTTON GAME!

Post by neon guide »

Thanks for the replies, Ive pre-ordered from Amazon with the plastic things because it was the same price. Super excited.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Johnpv wrote:
Zeether wrote:City Connection posted a tweet regarding an overseas release: https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... 2519623681
For overseas customers:
Good, at this point I feel like publishers should stay away from Dispatch. At least until they can prove they can actually ship the fucking games they took money for ages ago.
Honestly it’s especially noteworthy here because City Connection own Dispatch. Sounds like they’re not trusting them with their own games anymore?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Was really wondering how people are having such an easy time with this 1CC... then I discovered that the charge magic for the blue/lightning shot is a REALLY powerful bubble shield. So if you’re having a hard time, prioritize blue crystals and hold the bomb button when you have blue magic “equipped” until it makes the deedly dee charged noise. Made my life a looooot easier—made it to Wool and was just shy of beating her buns. Got taken out with just a little left to go. I’ll get her next time!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Special World wrote:Was really wondering how people are having such an easy time with this 1CC... then I discovered that the charge magic for the blue/lightning shot is a REALLY powerful bubble shield. So if you’re having a hard time, prioritize blue crystals and hold the bomb button when you have blue magic “equipped” until it makes the deedly dee charged noise. Made my life a looooot easier—made it to Wool and was just shy of beating her buns. Got taken out with just a little left to go. I’ll get her next time!
Yeah your mantra should be A-B-S - Always Be Shielded
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MachineAres 1CC

Special World wrote:Was really wondering how people are having such an easy time with this 1CC... then I discovered that the charge magic for the blue/lightning shot is a REALLY powerful bubble shield. So if you’re having a hard time, prioritize blue crystals and hold the bomb button when you have blue magic “equipped” until it makes the deedly dee charged noise. Made my life a looooot easier—made it to Wool and was just shy of beating her buns. Got taken out with just a little left to go. I’ll get her next time!
This is the same in every other Cotton game, to be honest, not sure if this is your first rodeo.
Special World

Post by Special World »

You can be sure!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems eShop listings are starting to show up for Cotton Reboot on some western storefronts, listing a June 25th release date.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Amazon has physical releases up. PS4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0947RZX9P / Switch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0947T6CW4
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The Cult Hit From Japan

This takes me back to the NES days when games like Gradius and Milon's Secret Castle would have "million seller in Japan" on the box as a means to lure in wary westerners.
MachineAres 1CC

Jonpachi wrote:The Cult Hit From Japan

This takes me back to the NES days when games like Gradius and Milon's Secret Castle would have "million seller in Japan" on the box as a means to lure in wary westerners.
I definitely cringed when I saw that label. Do they really think people are that stupid and/or easily influenced by being told it's from Japan? As if that wasn't obvious from the get-go anyway after seeing the cover art? Yucky. Maybe this would have worked on a few people back in the 1980s before the internet and access to entertainment from other countries being readily available was a thing, but nowadays it feels desperate/pathetic and cringe.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I have a score thread up now, so people take a chance to post there to fill up with Reboot/X68k scores!
viewtopic.php?p=1452942#p1452942
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Got my Japanese copy from Play-Asia yesterday. I'm digging the arranged mode. I really like the graphics and the arranged soundtrack. Also thought they did a good job with modernizing the gameplay.

That being said it comes off as a budget title. Overall options and features in the game are pretty bare bones and even looking at the art on the disc it seemed like a cheap print job. Seems more like a $20 game than the $36 that is being charged for the western version. And I heard a few complaints of the screen being overly busy and that is pretty true. In an hour of play the vast majority of my deaths came from stuff I couldn't see.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

For folks interested in the US physical version, its up for preorder on Amazon now for $39.99 and releases June 25th. Inin Games is the publisher.

Key rule, if ININ Games is the publisher, its not exclusive and Strictly Limited isn't worth the wait and hassle. Same thing happened with Darius Cozmic Revelations and it not being worth going through them since there is a JPN version with English text. Different publisher but my point is that its not the only way to get an English text version of these games and for much cheaper.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Also on that note, a new patch released today (I know for PS4 owners; haven't checked switch yet). This adds Appli and Needle to the game, and fixes some bullet visibility issues and some sound cues. All good news to see the game still being actively supported!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Update is live for Switch too, but I didn't have to download anything this morning to see it so perhaps it was a previous update that I just didn't notice?

Needle seems really fun and different to play, but she suffers from the same problem as Silk in that there's always the "ghost" of Appli in the background as you play. I find this incredibly distracting and confusing in tense situations, and often give up a life here and there due to the visual noise.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Jonpachi wrote:Update is live for Switch too
Did they ever fix the language settings so you can turn it back to English on the Switch version?