Strikers 2020 in development

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mills

Re: Strikers 2020 in development

Post by Mills »

2nd thoughts, not sure If welcome another Striker's judging by this garbage by Mobrirx
https://youtu.be/ens5LDJm1T4
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

It’s pretty disappointing to see the game being set in WWII again. That’s so boring and it’s been overdone. With a title like Strikers 2020 I was expecting a proper sequel to Strikers 1999, set in the present day or near future. That could’ve given them the opportunity to introduce much cooler new aircraft/near future concepts.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I would've loved it if they did a Psikyo all stars mash up with team edit like what Raizing did with Batrider. Let me get a Valpiro, P51 Mustang, Rob team going on. That being said Psikyo games usually encourage no miss/no bomb play at the higher skill level so there would have to a be a swap mechanic of another kind besides suiciding ala Batrider.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Should be called Sengoku GunBlaze Aero Strikers Starring Video System & Psikyo All-Stars.

And the stages are all a mish-mash of those various themes. That sounds like something Xeno Fighters may have done, actually.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Rastan78 wrote:I would've loved it if they did a Psikyo all stars mash up with team edit like what Raizing did with Batrider. Let me get a Valpiro, P51 Mustang, Rob team going on.
That would be interesting. A new Psikyo game really should try to play to as many rose-tinted glasses as possible. The shmup community being as small as it is, limiting themselves to only Strikers bosses and ships could backfire.

My major concerns with a new strikers game from City Connection are how they'll tackle lag on the switch and what kind of practice options they'll include. Not just talking about save states. I consider level and boss select as important. Yeah, if you have enough save states, you can kinda set those up yourself. But you need a lot of save states and that's extra effort to set them up and remember which ones do what. So much easier if the devs just include level and boss select. Caravan/time attack is nice too.

I have a pretty low opinion of City Connection overall, but I genuinely want this new game to be fantastic. I would like nothing better than for a new Psikyo game to be amazing.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Since the game won't be emulated input lag shouldn't be a big deal. Games like Ikaruga, Cotton Remake, Crimson Clover etc are all fine on Switch. It's more the budget emulation packs that really suffer.

The hard part will be nailing down that legendary Psikyo feel and gameplay. Any news about the staff involved?

On a side note, a lot of people may not realize that the main man behind the Psikyo classics, Shin Nakamura, has been working at Inti Creates. He's lead on background and ui graphics for games like Blaster Master Zero 2 and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2.
Mills

Post by Mills »

schleichfahrt wrote:These slides should probably be in here:
Spoiler

Why go back to World War2 theme with the fighters, when they could go Sci-fi space shooter theme and do something really creative.
dark

Post by dark »

Maybe a silly question, but these days, would a modern shmup developer who is using actual modern aircraft designs need to pay licensing fees to the defense companies that make those current fighters (kinda like how driving games)? Not sure if the age of the WW2 stuff or some of those companies being totally defunct, maybe allows them lesser risk when using real planes of that era.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I feel like a game with the name "Strikers 2020" should have futuristic aircraft. Maybe not science fiction. More like how Ace Combat uses experimental prototype planes because they look neat and future-y. The planes should be the cutting edge of what is available today + some slight extrapolation into future-y cool designs. Just off the top of my head:

Su-57 "Felon"
Su-33 "Flanker D"
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
F-22 Raptor
Rafale

"Strikers 2020" to me, sounds like a sequel to Strikers 1999 in tone and setting. If they wanted to use WW2 planes, they should have called it Strikers 1944 or something. That's assuming they don't want to do the king of fighters thing and include planes from every era and across all psikyo properties.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Just gonna throw this out there - it is now 2021 and having "2020" in the title does not imply futuristic

Like......maybe.....change the name, guys?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Just gonna throw this out there - it is now 2021 and having "2020" in the title does not imply futuristic

Reminds me of the Thundarr intro and the Jetsons.
Mills

Post by Mills »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Just gonna throw this out there - it is now 2021 and having "2020" in the title does not imply futuristic

Don't forget we were under a global Pandemic.

It may never happen now