Strikers 2020 in development

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GFoyle

Strikers 2020 in development

Post by GFoyle »

Mortificator

Re: Strikers 2020 in development

Post by Mortificator »

I've been seeing a positive reaction from people who've tried Psikyo's shooting games for the first time via the new ports. I guess they've sold well enough for the execs at City Connection to notice.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
CRP

Post by CRP »

source https://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999903/20190510088/
Can some who reads japanese tell if there is more interesing stuff, it seams quite long so there bound to be more goods stuff meantioned

what are they saying about switch and also strikers 2020 seams to pop up a bit in the middel ?
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

CRP wrote:source https://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999903/20190510088/
Can some who reads japanese tell if there is more interesing stuff, it seams quite long so there bound to be more goods stuff meantioned

what are they saying about switch and also strikers 2020 seams to pop up a bit in the middel ?
Tried google translate to the page, but was a bit of a mess... but from what I understood from it, it didn't contain much details. They clearly are aiming for the 2020 release.

Frankly, I think it's going to really hard to predict whether it will be any good or not. Now at least they (zerodiv) have more resources after merged City Connection, so there is hope that it will be good (I wonder do they have anybody who were responsible of the design from Psikyo still with them, that would mean a lot)

btw, Strikers 1999 on Switch should be out digitally on 29th of August, that is what it says here: https://psikyo-portal.com/shootinglibra ... rikers1999
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

According to City Connection’s Nobuhiro Yoshikawa, only the title has been decided so far, and currently discussions have begun on things like, “What sort of team will develop it?”
Asked if the title indicates a 2020 release, Harakami said would be bad if it were a 2021 release, and that he does not want to make the fans wait.
So they don't even have a dev team, but they're aiming to release next year? :lol: How long has that one Treasure shooter and the new M2 Aleste been in development, again? And that's with genre veterans at the ready.

translation excerpt from here:
https://gematsu.com/2019/05/strikers-2020-announced
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

You know most arcade games were developed within half a year, right?

Up until now, Zerodiv has only been doing ports, so they have to get used to trying to make a game from scratch.

Also Zerodiv is ex-Psikyo.

Speaking of arcade, the mention of getting an arcade release makes this far more exciting.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Yes I'm aware, but that was then and this is now. If they get it out next year then I'll admit I was wrong.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Making simpler games is easier in some ways than it used to be. Depends on what you're trying to do. Thing is, most of these games are being made by individuals in their spare time, instead of just smaller companies like Zerodiv (or M2!).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This is a pretty pleasant surprise. I hope CityConnection can pull it off. They put so much love and care into the Game Tengoku port and content. Buying the Psikyo IPs was clearly a prelude to a project like a new Strikers game. I know ZeroDiv's porting has been spotty, but there's good along with the bad. I hope some of the CC devs can help the ex-Psikyo devs push something that is good.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Despatche wrote:You know most arcade games were developed within half a year, right?
There's no way that they have the same resources that they used to have back in the 90s. Every team is like G.rev now, maybe even Triangle Service. Piecemeal outsourcing, with a long haul among a final few core guys to draw it all together.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

...You know most old video games period were developed by small teams, right? Ray Force, one of the finest games in the genre both mechanically and aesthetically, took like ten people to make. Unsurprisingly, most of those were graphics people.

It also took a lot more to make an older game, especially arcade games, even if many of the games themselves were technically "simpler" than something made today. There were a lot of things you had to worry about with game development back then that you really don't have to worry about anymore unless you willingly choose to (this is both a good thing and a bad thing).
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Despatche wrote:Making simpler games is easier in some ways than it used to be.
Absolutely, but they're also out of the routine of cranking them out every few months like a well oiled machine. They also no longer have the old Japanese supervisor who knows nothing about video games that forces the product out at a hard deadline, come hell or high-water.
Lyv

Post by Lyv »

They talk about many topics. I didn't read the whole thing, but some interesting facts that are not mentioned in the gematsu article (some of it is probably already known) :
- they also own the IP rights of Jaleco.
- they plan on making more new games building on the IPs they have if Strikers 2020 has some success (like 1 new game for every 3-4 old ones).
- the Strikers Shooting collection on Switch will include online rankings and Strikers 1999 (first port of this game). They are thinking about "downloadable content" (I assume DLC), but want to focus on the quality of the release in priority. They have some old stuff like artwork they would like to add (probably to the vol.2 given the time or file size constraint, not sure...).
- about Strikers 2020 : as mentioned, they don't have a team yet, so it's only wishful thinking. But they want to make it close in spirit to Strikers 1945 I and II since it is, according to them, what players think about when they hear "Strikers series". They want to keep the core elements/game systems of Psikyo games so that old fans won't be dissappointed, including the lightning-fast bullets. They said something about the difficulty ; I think they want to keep it on the same standards as before, but not sure on this point. They want to make it more modern on the graphics side, and confirm it would be a vertical shooter.

Sign me the fuck up.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

Curious to see which Jaleco titles they will resurrect.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I'm excited for the current gen aircraft that they can use for this game. My question is, how would aircraft licensing work for them now that they probably don't have as big of a budget as they did back then?
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Thanks Lyv, interesting stuff.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote:I'm excited for the current gen aircraft that they can use for this game. My question is, how would aircraft licensing work for them now that they probably don't have as big of a budget as they did back then?
I assume they could just make blatant knock-offs. I also wonder if some of these manufacturers wouldn't allow zerodiv (or whoever is developing this) to use their planes likeness for free in exchange for the publicity.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Against all odds i’m hoping for pixels instead of some soulless 2.5d unrealengine thing
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

As much as I look forward to this, do we really have to wait until next year for this?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

xxx1993 wrote:As much as I look forward to this, do we really have to wait until next year for this?
From the sound of it they have barely even begun development on the game.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I hope they begin sometime this year. Maybe near the end.
Mills

Post by Mills »

They wanna bring back the spirit of the original Striker's 1945, so will we see the return of those weird end bosses from stage 8?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Mills wrote:They wanna bring back the spirit of the original Striker's 1945, so will we see the return of those weird end bosses from stage 8?
I swear you fight a giant butt hole at one point in Strikers 1945 Plus / Pt II.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Props to them for having the ballz to develop a new game. I'm genuinely curious to see what they will do. Let us hope they have the sense to include some kind of stage select or boss select option.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

I wonder if they're keeping the old pilots?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Obviously hoping Strikers 2020 is like Strikers 1999 only 1.05% better.

But fully expecting 2.5d, lifebar, max 6 bullets on screen at a time, awkward perspective, downloadable ships, 16:9 verizontal etc.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

MX7 wrote:Obviously hoping Strikers 2020 is like Strikers 1999 only 1.05% better.

But fully expecting 2.5d, lifebar, max 6 bullets on screen at a time, awkward perspective, downloadable ships, 16:9 verizontal etc.
That sounds horrible.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

DialKnight wrote:I wonder if they're keeping the old pilots?
They only appeared in the first game, in the ending, so probably not.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
DMC

Post by DMC »

Obviously hoping Strikers 2020 is like Strikers 1999 only 1.05% better.

And a falling piano.

I am also concerned it will be Sengoku Cannon quality, but at least we get some new game on current gen.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

These slides should probably be in here:
Spoiler

When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Tokyo-J wrote:
Mills wrote:They wanna bring back the spirit of the original Striker's 1945, so will we see the return of those weird end bosses from stage 8?
I swear you fight a giant butt hole at one point in Strikers 1945 Plus / Pt II.
You mean the 2nd to last stage 8 boss. I thought it look like the Cloverfield monster from the movie.