Mega Drive Toaplan shooters PAL @ 60hz on modded console?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bytestorm

Mega Drive Toaplan shooters PAL @ 60hz on modded console?

Post by bytestorm »

Does anyone know if any of the toaplan games for mega drive (PAL) plays in a lower speed?
I read somewhere that the PAL versions will play in correct 60hz if run on a modded megadrive, is that true?

Would like to get the PAL version of some of them IF they will run at 60hz on my 50/60hz regionmodded console.

Fire Shark
Twin Hawk
Hellfire
Zero Wings
Truxton

Thanks!
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Necronom

Re: Mega Drive Toaplan shooters PAL @ 60hz on modded console

Post by Necronom »

I'm far from an expert but I have a modded Pal MD1 with an Everdrive cart :wink:
Zero Wing is not Pal optimized which means it should run just like the JP version once you run it at 60 Hz. I can check tomorrow.
Same with Hellfire though there are people who say it causes problems with the music when played on a MD2...
https://bordersdown.net/archive/index.php/t-56582.html
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

AFAIK, all of those games should be fine on a 60Hz console (not completely sure on Hellfire and Fire Shark). I have the EU cart of Super Fantasy Zone and it plays at the correct speed in 60Hz on a US Genesis, though the in game text is different from the JP version with less Engrish, if I remember correctly. The JP Twin Hawk, Daisenpuu, plays as Twin Hawk on a US Genesis at the correct speed (and EU and JP versions seem to be using the same ROM). Truxton uses the same ROM for all regions.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

None of the early mega drive games are Pal optimized. And after like 92 or so it was mostly the bigger releases, like 1st party games.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Great! Thanks for all info guys! :D

I need those Toaplan shmups.. man the music in those titles is awesome
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
davyK

Post by davyK »

As with most early 90s MD games, PAL versions run fine at 60Hz.

My PAL MD is modded with a region switch and a 50/60Hz switch.

Games like PAL Super Fantasy Zone and Zero Wing run just fine at 60Hz.

Even PAL games like Sonic1&2, Toki etc run fine too.

Interestingly if I play with the region switch I sometimes get different title screens - for example I get Ju Ju with Toki when the region switch is set to JPN. :)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am in the UK and still have my USA Genesis. About half my collection is PAL and to date I haven't had any issues with the rule that anything pre 92 is bought and anything post 92 is the USA release.

I don't have a modded Genesis, so I buy the USA versions of the games if I really need them. I just bought soldiers of fortune and Speedball 2 from the USA which I felt might cause issues. Speedball 2 runs too fast at 60hz. Anything Konami I buy from the USA.

Shinobi 3 and Streets of Rage 2 I have from the USA as these were the 2 games which caused issues being forced against their will to other regions/speeds.

Can't help with Toaplan, I bought most of the games in the USA when I lived there so they are all USA releases.

There are post 92 post games that still work fine though. I digress that your situation is not the same as mine as you don't have region lockout issues buying pal for pal.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.