Sega genesis mini Shooters STG or “shmups”

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
thelion1856

Sega genesis mini Shooters STG or “shmups”

Post by thelion1856 »

So the sega genesis mini looks to be a smash, with the new revealed games including Disney livened games and earthworm Jim come two new shooters. With space harrier 2 already announced. Now comes in thunder force 3 and super fantasy zone. What other possible shooters you all looking to get on here? What about other games? Are you guys picking one of these up?

Now that all the games for this system have been reviewed, there seems to be just these 4 shooters on it.
Space harrier 2
Thunder force 3
Super fantasy zone
Darius II
Last edited by thelion1856 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
stryc9

Re: Swag genesis mini Shooters STG or “shmups”

Post by stryc9 »

Fire Shark would be a great addition as the vertical representation I think. Obviously TFIV should join III, IIRC Bio Hazard Battle usually makes it onto these things so that too. As much as I would like to suggest titles like Battle Mania Daiginjou and Slap Fight MD, they probably don't have the brand recognition in the west to get on there.

Other games: Pulseman, Devil Crash, Revenge of Shinobi (can't really leave that one off the list, Sega).
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Japan gets Musha Aleste. Japan wins.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

SuperDeadite wrote:Japan gets Musha Aleste. Japan wins.
Sole reason why i bought mega drive consoles time and time again. And Musha Aleste is the reason why i will buy the mini.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm only now just learning that Sega dropped AtGames and have been developing this themselves. A wise decision. AtGames are notorious for putting out garbage. Games library isn't looking too shabby. Would be a shame if Western audiences don't get MUSHA.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
mainpatr5

Post by mainpatr5 »

Thunderforce 2 and 4

Mid-tier shmups like Arrow Flash and Whip Rush.

Wings of Wor.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Is there a practical reason why these games shouldn't be released in all regions?
At this day and age, why keep overrated MUSHA Japan-only?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Kollision wrote:Is there a practical reason why these games shouldn't be released in all regions?
Yes, greed. They want the collectors to buy both versions :wink:
Just like all emuboxes before it the Genesis/MD mini will get hacked so people will be able to add their own games. In the end the different selections really don't matter.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'll wait for more game announcements to see if Musha is coming to the US. Castle of Illusion doesn't seem to be on the JP list and I would be surprised to see World of Ilusion without it.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

Would be awesome if Japan would get twinkle tale and Battlemania daiginjou.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Kollision wrote:overrated MUSHA
Boo!
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Ajora wrote:
Boo!
MUSHA is a decent game, but its reputation is overblown. It's a little lacking in gameplay, and while the aesthetics are nice, I can't see why people revere it far more than something like Super Aleste or the other choices in the Compile library.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Square_Air wrote:
Ajora wrote:
Boo!
MUSHA is a decent game, but its reputation is overblown. It's a little lacking in gameplay, and while the aesthetics are nice, I can't see why people revere it far more than something like Super Aleste or the other choices in the Compile library.
I disagree. I think it's by far one of the best games ever made. I think some people here just like to pull the 'overrated card' on it because it's a bit on the easy side. Blazing Lazers, however, I think has a fairly overblown reputation. I finished it a few months ago, and couldn't see it as anything beyond average. Cool last boss, though. I haven't yet played Super Aleste.
Deadliar

Re: Sega genesis mini Shooters STG or “shmups”

Post by Deadliar »

Musha's gameplay is decent but incredibly smooth and polished. Couple with badass style and graphics and its no wonder it gets its reputation.

Super Aleste by comparison has way more content and gameplay but the style isn't even close.

Both great games, mind you.
Play for fun and win when you can.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

Darius II just announced for the swag genesis mini.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

thelion1856 wrote:Darius II just announced for the swag genesis mini.
I think you mean Darius I, my dude.
Play for fun and win when you can.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Necronom wrote:
Kollision wrote:Is there a practical reason why these games shouldn't be released in all regions?
Yes, greed. They want the collectors to buy both versions :wink:
Just like all emuboxes before it the Genesis/MD mini will get hacked so people will be able to add their own games. In the end the different selections really don't matter.
Not always just black/white, there's sometimes understandings/relationships, language standards, or even licensing that could be just a faff to sort out - it'll often just be the path of least resistance for whatever reason, or (more likely) combination of reasons which can include the collectard-cash-grab as a benefit :)

And in some way perhaps it's good the region differences amount to more that just an alternative cover... As long as they do it right - it's ok - let's face it you don't need these minis to play these games, and if the selection is an issue I'm sure there's a hack.

But do it wrong and it could be some kind of ps1 mini ethos of lets do the PAL setup so we that have access to the other languages available, and not bother to expose options on anything or implement it right, or some wierd understanding/policy that if we use PAL roms we must play them at PAL speed etc.etc.

In MUSHA's specific case it might even be because it's a 'genesis' product and who knows if Seismic has any possible recourse/ownership over any aleste game on a 'genesis' in the US, or a translation, or some part of the rom, or whatever, even if that hardware is now completely different... You might run it by a lawyer who in 5 mins says it's debatable, you can pay to look into it, or keep this for a Japan exclusive... you're not going to change the platform name; that's the selling point in the US... there's a casual office debate of how popular it is even if it's a niche hit, half your western selection for this could be EU and they never got a version back in the day and it only sold 10 copies off the wii store in that region blah blah ...it's not worth looking into, or making a fuss over... You make it Japan exclusive, with the fringe benefit of anyone super keen might buy both, and you move on ...perhaps someone makes a note to look into it for the future...

...Outside of first party stuff, it's kind of awesome and intriguing that anything like this gets done officially :)
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sotoyama's console games were little more than warm-up for what he did at Raizing. Mahou Daisakusen sits far above Musha.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

thelion1856 wrote:Darius II just announced for the swag genesis mini.
Actually We’re both kinda wrong, Sega said that this is a new never before released version of Darius, here’s the story on Kotaku:

Sega has told Kotaku that the version of Darius on the Genesis Mini is a totally new version ported by the developer M2, and not based on the fan work. However, since the Mini version bears striking similarity to the fan-created port, it still seems possible that there is a connection between them. We have updated the headline and first paragraph of this story. The rest of our original story is below.

The developers of the Japanese Mega Drive Mini revealed the new game on a livestream early this morning, and Sega of America confirmed that it would also be included on the Genesis Mini as well. The livestream panel noted that this version of Darius uses a 32-megabit ROM size, which would have made for an incredibly expensive cartridge back in the late ’80s or early ’90s. (Its sequel Darius II, which was ported to Genesis back in 1990, used an 8-megabit ROM, which was considered large for the time.)

What Sega did not note on its livestream, or anywhere else, was the origin of this new version of Darius. The internet’s most knowledgeable Genesis nerds immediately recognized the port as the work of a hobbyist programmer named Hidecade, who had been publicly sharing updates about the unofficial project as recently as last year. Again, although it’s not confirmed that Hidecade’s port is the one being used here, it is exceedingly unlikely that there would be an entire second port of Darius. Also, the screenshots (including the HUD, which had to be redesigned for the Genesis screen) look identical.

Moreover, it seems that Hidecade has gone through and scrubbed all references to the project from his personal pages, including Twitter, his blog, and YouTube. In the livestream, Sega simply said that the game was being developed by M2, the developer of the Genesis Mini software, and supervised by Taito. (Kotaku has reached out to Sega and will update this story if it returns comment.)