R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
system11

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by system11 »

xxx1993 wrote:It's not coming out until December 2020? This is what I was afraid what was going to happen! I wanted it to be released sometime this year and not have to wait for a long time!
It's a Kickstarter game. There's no way in a thousand years this ships on time in December 2020.

I back a lot of Kickstarters, I think it's around 80 so far - various things. Almost without exception the things that delay the most are games. Nothing else is close in the delay olympics.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Not gonna even sugar coat it.

Recreating anything from 1 or 2 is redundant with Dimensions existing. The only things that should get recreated is anything from Leo, the giant walker stage from Delta or the nightmare level, and the Third Lightning level where you go backwards after killing the boss.

Most levels in Final are so damn drab I could careless even though I put a ton of time into the game.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

There's gotta be at least some shmups coming out this year...
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Not gonna even sugar coat it.

Recreating anything from 1 or 2 is redundant with Dimensions existing. The only things that should get recreated is anything from Leo, the giant walker stage from Delta or the nightmare level, and the Third Lightning level where you go backwards after killing the boss.

Most levels in Final are so damn drab I could careless even though I put a ton of time into the game.
Absolutely true. RT 1 and 2 stages, why even bother? They’ve only recently received modern updates...
And as for recreating Leo and Delta levels, they are also somewhat worthless....I mean, are they gonna be added to the main RTF2 campaign? In which case, it’s weird because then two R-Type games contain them as part of the campaign. Or, even more pointless, they will just be single stages selected from the main menu....
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

There's a good chance the stretch goal for recreating a stage from Final will be hit. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Final's Stage 3 made again so it runs more than 15 FPS.

And here's hoping for more Delta-like pacing and pretty much everything overall.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ciox

Post by ciox »

This actually got funded, that's great.

For the devs, consider simply reducing the delay between enemy waves, just doing that goes a long way towards solving the pacing problems from Final.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Not gonna even sugar coat it.

I am thinking the same way. 1/2 is not really necessary. If I had to pick a stage from Delta, it'd be either the walker or the Nightmare stage (what a great, and frustrating level!).

From Final 1*, my pick is Stage 6.0, Floating Graves. It feels the most like a classic R-Type stage, with lots of enemies from all directions, lots of positioning required, and the requisite fanservice fight against a new take on Gomander. The battleship or lab would be good, but my guess is that we're already getting a battleship and lab stage anyway. I certainly hope there aren't enough votes for a snoozer stage like F-A.

One more day to go. We might get the Delta stage (likely), but we certainly won't get the remade 1/2/3/Leo stages (well, MAYBE 3), or the full 102 ships. That might be a blessing - there's too many ships to choose from in Final :mrgreen:

Starting to wonder about my pledge. Do I really need an artbook??

*in post I realize it's kinda funny to type that title.
system11

Post by system11 »

All I ever wanted was a Delta port.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well hey, you'll get a Delta stage. Maybe if we're lucky it's stage 5 or 6.

And depending on how much money is made in the next 45 minutes, a R-Type 3 stage too. Maybe if we're unlucky it'll be stage 1! EDIT: and they did it. Quite a bit of cash!
Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Armed Police Unit Gallop stage.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ciox wrote:Armed Police Unit Gallop stage.
Small time. Think big dude! Gun Hohki stage, Granzella!
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

The R-Type III stage is in. It's unlikely they'll find another $100k the next ten minutes, so the Leo stage probably won't.

I'm very happy with the outcome.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

noice. I backed last minute, it got way more stretch goals than I thought! Now let's reconvene in 2022 when the game comes out :mrgreen:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Weak Boson wrote:noice. I backed last minute, it got way more stretch goals than I thought! Now let's reconvene in 2022 when the game comes out :mrgreen:
In the meantime, people (like me) should actually try to play/beat Delta and Final and post their scores in their respective threads. Or Dimensions, whatever floats your boat. :mrgreen:
MJR

Post by MJR »

I almost skipped the campaign, seeing that it was filled already, but those stretch goals made me change my mind. Having level from Delta and Final included was a nice bonus. Now all we have to do is wait..
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Pretty good interview with the developers.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019 ... g3Vi7yjtr4
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What did it mean when it said that it won't pick up right at the end of R-Type Final, but beyond the prior games?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That was a fun interview to read. lol at Kazuma Kujo bragging that he created the fun levels in Delta (1, 4, and 6). Hm, well, Delta's stage 1 is whatever. 4 and 6 are some heavy hitters though. Stage 6 was my vote for the stage to be remade in Final2: floating sausage of doom for the win!

I presume that what Kujo meant is that the events of Final2 will be lead up to, and be concurrent with, Final. I guess the name implies the game takes place in the same time-frame.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So it's an interquel? Ugh, it's not worth it then...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

xxx1993 wrote:What did it mean when it said that it won't pick up right at the end of R-Type Final, but beyond the prior games?
It means you should stop caring about the story in shooting games.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don't get why people don't care about it these days... When Radiant Silvergun came out back in 1998 people actually were interested. Why were they like that so suddenly?
ryu

Post by ryu »

That was a fun interview to read
was it? it read to me like the guy doesn't care much for the game. he even said he's got no sentiments towards r-type final - despite having been responsible for it and basing the new game on it.

maybe he's scared of becoming another inafune and doesn't want people to get excited for it though
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

ryu wrote:he even said he's got no sentiments towards r-type final
I think what he means is that the whole slow burning "farewell" theme of the first Final won't be at the heart of the game anymore...

"I don’t have any sentimental feelings toward this project [as I did with R-Type Final]. The focus is purely on how we can make a new and fun R-Type game that we couldn’t make in 2003. That’s all there is to it."

To me it reads: We'll focus on solid R-Type mechanics while making full use of a much more powerful hardware and 16:9 aspect ratio :D
But maybe that's just me being positive and happy about a new R-Type :wink:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, it seemed clear to me that he was saying he simply has vastly different ambitions with this game (at the very least, that it isn't intended to be a funeral procession for the series in the way that Final was), not that he doesn't care about Final or the series any more.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

No X-Multiply ship though. Plus, somewhere around 2009 there was a failed R-Type/Gradius/Dariusburst collaboration :/
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Plus, somewhere around 2009 there was a failed R-Type/Gradius/Dariusburst collaboration :/
care to elaborate on that? I don't think I heard about that one. :?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Around 2008 or 2009, I had a meeting with the producer of Dariusburst and the producer of the Gradius series. The meeting was set up to discuss the possible loaning of the R-Type IP to Darius and Gradius for a collaboration.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

xxx1993 wrote:I don't get why people don't care about it these days... When Radiant Silvergun came out back in 1998 people actually were interested. Why were they like that so suddenly?
The general fanbase always recognized that a genre where you have room for a few lines of dialogue at most is not an easy one for character or plot development. RSG is a weird curio due to its absurd length, animated cutscenes, and unique presentation.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

And even then, no one cares about the story in it.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I like it, tbh.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.