R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Steven »

Cool, Japanese Switch version 1.0.3 is now available. Not sure what it does, though...
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well look, if people are unloading on Final 2 here, I gotta say I do not get the love for Final 1's F-A "sea urchins in jello" stage.

Even at the time it felt like a cheap cop-out to me. The urchins looked silly, after all the rumors on the message boards of people having sex in the background, the actual vague silhouettes were disappointing, and the "gameyness" of being put in danger of being crushed by the spiral of urchins not by an actual wall or anything, but by the edge of the screen, broke my suspension of disbelief. Yet despite the lame visuals the slowdown was hellacious. At least the slowdown on the battleship stage felt earned by what was actually on the screen.

And what's most baffling is the game actually had some genuinely visually spectacular stages like the Bydo Forest as hidden extras you have to grind hard to reveal and most players would have given up long before finding, while it was mandatory for everybody to intricately navigate the lame urchin-ball before the bizarrely inappropriate final credits song.

I'll take Final 2's stage 3 visuals over Final 1's F-A any day of the week.

When the "implications" are what makes the stage cool for you, that's your own imagination doing the art team's job for them.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Herr Schatten wrote:By pure chance I found out two important things about the double mecha assault in stage 6.2: If you get behind the mecha coming from the left and keep moving up and down, he won't shoot at you and he will shield you from the shots of the other mecha on the right.
If you use the Leo 2 you can fire a charge shot from behind the mech on the left and it will pierce through and also hit the one on the right. A level 2 charge shot takes them both out in one shot.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Mischief Maker wrote:Well look, if people are unloading on Final 2 here, I gotta say I do not get the love for Final 1's F-A "sea urchins in jello" stage.

Even at the time it felt like a cheap cop-out to me. The urchins looked silly, after all the rumors on the message boards of people having sex in the background, the actual vague silhouettes were disappointing, and the "gameyness" of being put in danger of being crushed by the spiral of urchins not by an actual wall or anything, but by the edge of the screen, broke my suspension of disbelief. Yet despite the lame visuals the slowdown was hellacious. At least the slowdown on the battleship stage felt earned by what was actually on the screen.

And what's most baffling is the game actually had some genuinely visually spectacular stages like the Bydo Forest as hidden extras you have to grind hard to reveal and most players would have given up long before finding, while it was mandatory for everybody to intricately navigate the lame urchin-ball before the bizarrely inappropriate final credits song.

I'll take Final 2's stage 3 visuals over Final 1's F-A any day of the week.

When the "implications" are what makes the stage cool for you, that's your own imagination doing the art team's job for them.
I don't want 3 battleship levels in one game. We are already have one and R-Type Stage 3 is coming at some point.

Twisted Ecology was the second lowest ranked level which I couldn't believe. 2nd place after Battleship Raid was F-B Summer Night. Final is a divisive game but clearly so are people's taste in stages.

Personally want to see the Forest Watchdog from Final. Hopefully more stages from older games get added because the Leo stage we got was the least wanted level in the poll with Floating Continents and Paradise Planet being the two most wanted.

Keep in mind they will probably make changes to these older levels much like how the Fire Cask Factory has. The entire intro section was removed and being able to destroy the lava buckets makes a huge difference. If they use F-A I doubt it'll be the same exact way. Even the preview for the R-Type Stage 3 has lava on it now (because collision with most surfaces can't kill you Final 2 but absolutely can in RT1 so it was probably done to keep the challenge of the original level)
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I very much doubt people were voting for objectively good stages, considering we got:
- R-Type III's stage4 (and not stage3 or 6)
- R-Type Delta's stage1 (and not stage2, 4, 5 or 6)
- R-Type Final's stage3 (and not stage2 with all of the variations, or stage 4, 5, F-B or F-C).
At the very least they seem to be making small alterations to the stages they do drop in the Homage Stages sets, which is nice.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I mentioned it pages and pages back, but considering the winners of the stage polls, it sadly convinced me that most R-Type fans are severely lacking in taste.

Emailed the Granzella support via the backer site again, saying where da FUK is my copy. No response yet...
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I guess whether it gets further homage levels will depend mainly on how both the main game and the dlc sells. I certainly will merrily buy further dlc levels if they want to make them. Imagine if eventually they remake EVERY R-Type series stage; an impossible dream but that would be pretty cool.
Anyway, if we only get one more release after the third dlc, perhaps it will be a 6.3 and 7.3 leading from the 4th crystal?
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

I find it a bit dismissive saying the only reason I find the stage cool is because I'm using my imagination for the sake of the art team. If you don't like Stage F-A for the reasons you outline, that's fair enough, Just the same I don't find it necessary to make excuses to do the same.
Samildanach wrote:I guess whether it gets further homage levels will depend mainly on how both the main game and the dlc sells. I certainly will merrily buy further dlc levels if they want to make them. Imagine if eventually they remake EVERY R-Type series stage; an impossible dream but that would be pretty cool.
Anyway, if we only get one more release after the third dlc, perhaps it will be a 6.3 and 7.3 leading from the 4th crystal?
From my experience it seems the 4th crystal just randomizes your route from any of the three routes (same effect if you didn't pick up any of them at all) but I definitely wouldn't mind if they added a 4th route with a stage 6.3 and 7.3. At least this would actually give that 4th crystal a purpose rather than be the same thing of making no choice at all.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

To be fair no matter what level made it in from Delta we were going to be griping about another stage getting left out. That game had so many bangers. The only stage I didn't like was stage 4 (the vertical shaft) but I pretty much love every level and I'm grateful for Delta Stage 1 because I really don't like the first stage that much in this game. I'm immediately replacing that on course edit.

Speaking of course editing, we should share our routes! Hoping they add in the ability to pick stage 7 outside of just the last level as well as multiple since you can only pick one. I'd like to have both 7.2 and 7.0 in one route as they are probably my two favorite stages to play.
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Samildanach wrote:I guess whether it gets further homage levels will depend mainly on how both the main game and the dlc sells. I certainly will merrily buy further dlc levels if they want to make them. Imagine if eventually they remake EVERY R-Type series stage; an impossible dream but that would be pretty cool.
OmegaDL50 wrote: From my experience it seems the 4th crystal just randomizes your route from any of the three routes (same effect if you didn't pick up any of them at all) but I definitely wouldn't mind if they added a 4th route with a stage 6.3 and 7.3. At least this would actually give that 4th crystal a purpose rather than be the same thing of making no choice at all.
They really need to do something with that 4th crystal. If anything actually stood out as "placeholder" in this game, it's that. I'd love to see something like Beautiful Erasure with just a boss fight or something surreal or gross like R-Type 1's final stage, Final's F-A, or Delta's Fate. Final 2 is fine for what it is but it really is lacking in WTF moment whether its the stage biomes or enemy/bosses. This game really doesn't start shining until Stage 4 imo but the back half sans the .1 Bydo route is fantastic.
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:To be fair no matter what level made it in from Delta we were going to be griping about another stage getting left out. That game had so many bangers. The only stage I didn't like was stage 4 (the vertical shaft) but I pretty much love every level and I'm grateful for Delta Stage 1 because I really don't like the first stage that much in this game. I'm immediately replacing that on course edit.

Speaking of course editing, we should share our routes! Hoping they add in the ability to pick stage 7 outside of just the last level as well as multiple since you can only pick one. I'd like to have both 7.2 and 7.0 in one route as they are probably my two favorite stages to play.
A bit of a shame course editor only limits you to 7 stages total.

I was hoping for the option of a marathon mode being able to chain all 11 stages + 7 DLC stages (once they are included), to do a non-stop 18 stage run consecutively. Would have made for a nice 1cc challenge.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Loving it. Played a lot of Final when it first came out, now I'm playing this one with my 10 year old kid... the cool thing is, he's loving it too!
slateman wrote: Got to 6.0/7.0 today after a few 6.2/7.2 runs. Unlocked Leo. Next up is 6.1 and Leo II. Pink/Orange/Green lead to 6.0/6.1/6.2 respectively. The grey orb in 5.0 seems to be random? My first run, I didn't collect any and that brought me to 6.2 as well. (Maybe that's random too?) Genuinely hoping the grey one has some other significance for a later update. Was also hoping for something like 3.5 when flying w/ Cross The Rubicon. Just wishful thinking. 1.0's non-icy stage on R-Typer difficulty (not sure which) is a cool alteration.
Thanks for explaining 6.0/1/2!
I feel dense, couldn't suss out what was changing it level 6.
I was thinking it was "no death" or higher scores. As sometimes I died, sometimes I didn't. I think we frequently grabbed the grey one, so that was extra confusing.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

MommysBestGames wrote:Loving it. Played a lot of Final when it first came out, now I'm playing this one with my 10 year old kid... the cool thing is, he's loving it too!
slateman wrote: Got to 6.0/7.0 today after a few 6.2/7.2 runs. Unlocked Leo. Next up is 6.1 and Leo II. Pink/Orange/Green lead to 6.0/6.1/6.2 respectively. The grey orb in 5.0 seems to be random? My first run, I didn't collect any and that brought me to 6.2 as well. (Maybe that's random too?) Genuinely hoping the grey one has some other significance for a later update. Was also hoping for something like 3.5 when flying w/ Cross The Rubicon. Just wishful thinking. 1.0's non-icy stage on R-Typer difficulty (not sure which) is a cool alteration.
Thanks for explaining 6.0/1/2!
I feel dense, couldn't suss out what was changing it level 6.
I was thinking it was "no death" or higher scores. As sometimes I died, sometimes I didn't. I think we frequently grabbed the grey one, so that was extra confusing.
The Leo / Leo II line up of ships are really powerful. They do heavily rely on the Homing Bit attack based on their game of origin. I did a chart of all potentially unlockable ships in the game as of current patch v1.04. It's not labeled or anything so no spoilers.

Here it is. Until more patches / updates become available only 54 out of 99 listed in the Museum are unlockable.
https://i.imgur.com/sM9uvmX.jpg

Although folks have datamined the game for some of the unfinished ships and levels, the content does exist in some shape or form but is largely unfinished so it's just a matter of letting Granzella work on it and release it when it's ready.

As for a bit of Off-topic, I remember downloading Shoot 1up years ago on my Xbox 360 part of the XBLIG service. Had a lot of fun with it. I should definitely revisit it again and see what's new with the DX release. I also didn't know you were the same developer behind Serious Sam Double D XXL, well in any case much appreciated for your development work.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The physical copy is region-free and will work fine on game consoles in all regions.

As for the DLC, we will distribute the content of the same region as the physical copy sent to you as a reward.

(It will be from the Japan region)

Would you please check your store account settings and try the download?

I heard that there is no problem with any description of the Japanese address.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Granzella Inc. 

Ok- for clarification, I'm in the UK with a PS4 and a UK PS4 account.
Do I need to set up a Japanese account to download this content then set it back to my own account.
I actually don't usually bother with my PS4 much, so I'm not that familiar with this downloading content.

Can someone advise how I go about getting the content?
When I go to use my code it tells me I'm in the wrong region.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
decalcomania

Re: R-Type Final2 Score exploit

Post by decalcomania »

So, I managed to get 500K from killing the 7.2 dual miniboss last night! If the same score trick works on R Typer 2 & 3, I reckon it will be possible to get 1 million points in 7.2 alone! I'm not skilled enough to unlock R typer 2 and 3, but I'm know most of you folks are. Come on all, Big Puntos!
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

NAVVARR wrote:Ok- for clarification, I'm in the UK with a PS4 and a UK PS4 account.
Do I need to set up a Japanese account to download this content then set it back to my own account.
I actually don't usually bother with my PS4 much, so I'm not that familiar with this downloading content.

Unfortunately yes. You'll need to setup a Japan region PSN account if you want to access your backer DLC.

The game may be region free despite being a Japan copy, but DLC is not.

I used this guide - https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/11/how-to ... mes-games/

This will also work on a PS5 too, the steps are almost identical.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I don't understand why polygon based games always try to push specs as much as possible; why not compromise and build games so that we get consistent 60 FPS everywhere? There's plenty of 3D games with Xbox 360 or even PS2 quality that still look great.
• A higher framerate does not significantly affect sales of a game.
• A higher framerate does not significantly affect the reviews of a game.
source, Mike Acton, Insomniac Games
What do either of these have to do with how good a game actually is? There are plenty of great games that were reviewed well that sold poorly, and plenty of frankly bad games that had considerable sales due to the strength of the series' brand. Good games generally have stable framerates. Only very few games are forgiven for inconsistent framerates due to how hard they try to push the scope of the console (Shadow of the Colossus, which pretty much generally everyone agrees would've been better at a stable 30 FPS or preferably 60 FPS).
The industry's general attitude is to cut corners on purpose to make it prettier, on the belief that prettier sells and reviews better.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The industry's general attitude is to cut corners on purpose to make it prettier, on the belief that prettier sells and reviews better.
Actually the same approach Metal Slug took lol

Nintendo has a whole lot of exclusive that are perfectly locked to 60 or almost always get there. 60 fps was probably a key ingredient of Modern Warfare's success on console back in the day.

IMO certain genres like open world games, slower paced games like Dark Souls, it makes sense to go for 30 and spend more resources fleshing out the world and the graphics.

In a shmup 60 fps is mandatory. The choppiness of Final 2 on Switch feels janky and feels like a big step backwards.

I was hoping they would cut back the particle effects, lighting etc where needed to smooth it out a bit more. Take a look at a game like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair where a small dev hit a smooth 60 fps on all platforms. I believe the approach they took was to begin with the Switch version so it was optimized and then scale up to the other consoles from there.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

OmegaDL50 wrote:
NAVVARR wrote:Ok- for clarification, I'm in the UK with a PS4 and a UK PS4 account.

Unfortunately yes. You'll need to setup a Japan region PSN account if you want to access your backer DLC.

Wait you can use your Japanese backer copy with the US Stage Pass? If so I'm gonna cancel my order for a US copy. I could have sworn the Japanese copy only works with the DLC from the JPN store.
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:
OmegaDL50 wrote:

Wait you can use your Japanese backer copy with the US Stage Pass? If so I'm gonna cancel my order for a US copy. I could have sworn the Japanese copy only works with the DLC from the JPN store.
Only the physical game itself is region free.

DLC is not region free. Also if you backed the game you should be entitled to the stage pass. It was a stretch goal already paid for by backers. You might want to check the Team R-Type Final 2 backer website for your digital rewards.
slateman

Post by slateman »

OmegaDL50 wrote:Only the physical game itself is region free.

DLC is not region free.
While you're right, it's also a bit misleading. Games & DLC are both region-free (meaning you can play any region of game/dlc on a console from any region).

What you mean is that DLC is region-locked to the base game's region. I'm certain you know what you're saying - but just to be clear for everyone else, it's semantics.
NAVVARR wrote:Do I need to set up a Japanese account to download this content then set it back to my own account.\
Fortunately, after setting up an account, you can play all your different-region stuff just like you normally would. Just don't lose the account login/info. Resetting an international account can be a major pain and could lead you to losing access to DLC. (Just write your stuff down). I have three accounts: America (original), Europe (lived here for 5 years) and Japan. It's nice when things work - you'll be fine once you get an acct set up and going. Good luck!
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Cheers for the help, I managed to create a Japanese account and tried using the code I've been given and it's stating that the code is already in use.

What a load of hassle this game is.

I'll email Granzella...
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

So apparently you can use the R-9E series to complete investigations on indestructible enemies like Psywave ("Wave") or Rosengear ("Optical Pinwheel")... not sure of the exact mechanism there yet (if you have to use the charge shot or the bits or what.)

Oddly you don't get the "Update" notification in the Bydo Lab when you do this although the entries are indeed updated.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

OmegaDL50 wrote:As for a bit of Off-topic, I remember downloading Shoot 1up years ago on my Xbox 360 part of the XBLIG service. Had a lot of fun with it. I should definitely revisit it again and see what's new with the DX release. I also didn't know you were the same developer behind Serious Sam Double D XXL, well in any case much appreciated for your development work.
I am that guy. Thanks for saying!

Cool thing I noticed in level 2 today, was playing on Bydo (only had played there on Normal before).
I was stuck on a checkpoint (rotting creature directly above on ceiling, big flower on ceiling).
The flying bugs the rotting creatures make, which normally seek you--they only seek you if you have a force pod OR are charging your super shot.
I used my regular shot at the start of the checkpoint, and they ended up attacking the flower! (And of course the flower does not fold if you don't shoot it.) It definitely helped me there.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

MommysBestGames wrote:
OmegaDL50 wrote:As for a bit of Off-topic, I remember downloading Shoot 1up years ago on my Xbox 360 part of the XBLIG service. Had a lot of fun with it. I should definitely revisit it again and see what's new with the DX release. I also didn't know you were the same developer behind Serious Sam Double D XXL, well in any case much appreciated for your development work.
I am that guy. Thanks for saying!

Cool thing I noticed in level 2 today, was playing on Bydo (only had played there on Normal before).
I was stuck on a checkpoint (rotting creature directly above on ceiling, big flower on ceiling).
The flying bugs the rotting creatures make, which normally seek you--they only seek you if you have a force pod OR are charging your super shot.
I used my regular shot at the start of the checkpoint, and they ended up attacking the flower! (And of course the flower does not fold if you don't shoot it.) It definitely helped me there.
The flowers also don't shoot you if you dont shoot them
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

FINAL(2)LY! My backer copy arrived yesterday. The only hiccup - the stage pass code doesn't work on the eshop, saying it's not yet available. I presume this means that it only works on the japanese eshop (since the game was a japanese copy, despite everything, including voices, being in English. I guess I need to switch my account settings like I've done in the past, or is it just flat-out not available on switch yet?

Only played up to the level 2 boss on Normal but I do like it so far. I am looking forward to seeing the changes on higher difficulties. To unlock the Bydo difficulties do you need to beat the game on the previous one, or is it a gradual unlock?
Steven

Post by Steven »

EmperorIng wrote:FINAL(2)LY! My backer copy arrived yesterday. The only hiccup - the stage pass code doesn't work on the eshop, saying it's not yet available. I presume this means that it only works on the japanese eshop (since the game was a japanese copy, despite everything, including voices, being in English. I guess I need to switch my account settings like I've done in the past, or is it just flat-out not available on switch yet?
You have a Japanese copy, so you have to enter the code in the Japanese eshop.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Switch Stage Passes were sent to backers earlier today. I had to create a JPN Nintendo account to redeem it from the eShop, but after that it works on my normal account just fine.

Man, these stages are considerably more difficult than the regular ones. Didn't recognize StageX1.0, but turns out it's from R-Type 3 which I haven't played. StageX2.0 from Leo was more familiar, I like how they made a unique POW armor to match the power-up capsules from that game.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Updated to 1.05, achievements for the next 2 DLC stages can be viewed.
Spoiler
The trusty POW is now available, bringing the roster to 55/99
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I've already bought the DLC on the Steam version, but I backed the game at the "Crowdfunding Edition and your name in the credits" level and haven't had any codes for my PS4 version yet. Should I have any?