R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Klatrymadon wrote:I've already bought the DLC on the Steam version, but I backed the game at the "Crowdfunding Edition and your name in the credits" level and haven't had any codes for my PS4 version yet. Should I have any?
I had to spam their email for them give me a code. It still requires a Japanese account to access.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Haven't played anything else since this released. I love this game.
So today i was messing around with Course Editing, composing an alternative Final 2 campaign. For now i settled with: Mission 1 (6.2) Breaktrough Defense System which has direct continuity with the alternative launch animation, Mission 2 - Destructive Invaded Plant Factory, Mission 3 - Clean Up, Mission 4 - Rotation:Decaying Erosive Cave, Mission 5 - Surfacing Unknown Underground, Mission 6 - Abandoned Space City - since the most iconic boss in the series should die at the end... And Final Mission is Graveyard.

Will add another route featuring DLC stages.

This game is fun.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
ZaKa-tokyobassist

DenimDemon wrote:Haven't played anything else since this released. I love this game.
So today i was messing around with Course Editing, composing an alternative Final 2 campaign. For now i settled with: Mission 1 (6.2) Breaktrough Defense System which has direct continuity with the alternative launch animation, Mission 2 - Destructive Invaded Plant Factory, Mission 3 - Clean Up, Mission 4 - Rotation:Decaying Erosive Cave, Mission 5 - Surfacing Unknown Underground, Mission 6 - Abandoned Space City - since the most iconic boss in the series should die at the end... And Final Mission is Graveyard.

Will add another route featuring DLC stages.

This game is fun.

I'm going to try this one out! This sounds like a cool narrative.

I really wish they doubled up on 3, Delta and Final stages instead of remaking the R-Type 1/2 stages. With Dimensions itself being a remake, they feel redunant even if I 100% get the appeal of them (using different ships and new mechanics on classic levels). I would absolutely make a nightmarish route that gets creepier the longer the game goes and end it on 7.2 or 7.0.
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I tried this game on R-Typer.
Die once, just restart. c:
This difficulty is wild. lol
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

slateman

Post by slateman »

I've slowed down lately (assuredly due to Resident Evil VIII) but have been consistently updating my site. I've included as many Bydo Lab entries as I've had the patience to type out (missing 7.1 entries...6.1 just destroys me). There are stage alternates in there and a full masterlist + tree list.

In addition, a spoiler-filled tree with all ships is also posted. There is a link in the tree section, so avoid that if you don't want spoilers! This includes all ships in what's likely to be the final hangar tree. Their models are all in the game, but not all bits and missile types and force orbs are currently in there.

https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Awesome man. I can definitely relate in that non-stop RE8 has eaten into my shmupping time, but I just finished the game the other night so I am hoping to blast off against the Bydo pretty soon.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Zach Keene wrote:So apparently you can use the R-9E series to complete investigations on indestructible enemies like Psywave ("Wave") or Rosengear ("Optical Pinwheel")... not sure of the exact mechanism there yet (if you have to use the charge shot or the bits or what.)

Oddly you don't get the "Update" notification in the Bydo Lab when you do this although the entries are indeed updated.
That’s really cool, I’d been using the Sweet Luna a lot simply because I genuinely like the ship and I didn’t even notice. I had thought all the stuff about data collection was just flavour text.
Sengoku Strider

Also, am I the only one whose mind puts the word "Joe" in front of Bydogen every time I see it?
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Probably a hot take:

The music kind of grows on you after awhile. Most of the tracks, anyway.
leodash

Post by leodash »

DragonForce guitarist, Herman Li, streaming this game on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/hermanli

And he improvised the ending credit with his guitar. Nice.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Firehawke wrote:Probably a hot take:

Not a hot take at all. Stage 4, Stage 7.0/7.2 and the R-Museum are immediate jams imo. I like the 2nd boss theme as well.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I've been listening to the soundtrack while working. It has definitely grown on me.

ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Firehawke wrote:Probably a hot take:

I agree. I even like the more somber stage 3 music. Something very cinematic about seeing the big ship and making your way around it while that tune plays. I also dig most of the other stuff.
OmegaDL50

Post by OmegaDL50 »

Klatrymadon wrote:I've already bought the DLC on the Steam version, but I backed the game at the "Crowdfunding Edition and your name in the credits" level and haven't had any codes for my PS4 version yet. Should I have any?
Yeah the the extra stages were backer stretch goals already funded in the Kickstarter and subsequent crowdfunding campaigns, the only exception was the last three stretch goals which weren't reached but Granzella is still trying to do the work to include them over period of time with patch updates.

That being said you should have gotten the Ship DLC code via the backer website.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Guys, I really, really want to like and get it, but from what I've seen, it feels amateurish. Incomplete, even. Is it just my imagination? The First R-Type Final felt more cohesive and better planned to me.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Ive noticed a lot of people mention the course editor in this thread...where do i find that? Am i just being stupid?

Also, is it just me or does your ship seem to drop bombs faster when you charge the wave cannon?
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Specineff wrote:Guys, I really, really want to like and get it, but from what I've seen, it feels amateurish. Incomplete, even. Is it just my imagination? The First R-Type Final felt more cohesive and better planned to me.
It seems to have got a reasonably positive response on this forum if you look back, and it would have been ripped a new one here if it was truly a poorly designed shmup (see Sine Mora for example). It is perhaps more of a grower, in that your experience with it improves once you spend a bit of time with it. If you just go by your first couple of attempts and stop there, you'll probably have experienced only the weakest aspects of the game and reject it. Stick with it!
I have enjoyed it so far, despite not being a big R-Type fan (I prefer Darius and Thunder Force style in my Horis).
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Samildanach wrote:
Specineff wrote:Guys, I really, really want to like and get it, but from what I've seen, it feels amateurish. Incomplete, even. Is it just my imagination? The First R-Type Final felt more cohesive and better planned to me.
It seems to have got a reasonably positive response on this forum if you look back, and it would have been ripped a new one here if it was truly a poorly designed shmup (see Sine Mora for example). It is perhaps more of a grower, in that your experience with it improves once you spend a bit of time with it. If you just go by your first couple of attempts and stop there, you'll probably have experienced only the weakest aspects of the game and reject it. Stick with it!
I have enjoyed it so far, despite not being a big R-Type fan (I prefer Darius and Thunder Force style in my Horis).
I initially didn't like the demo however I ended up picking it up on pc. Over the last few weeks I have really grown to like it. The game gets better as you work through the levels. I feel the level design works well and is quite fair with respawn points. The level select and changeable routes add longevity and keeps things fresh. Repeated playthroughs are rewarded well with new ships which add more variety. The difficulty levels are good but even on the lower levels it still pays to know the levels well as in traditional R Type fashion. It's not the prettiest but i really like the gameplay.
Sengoku Strider

There are very few games you'll find that are as perfectly put together top to bottom as the original R-Type, which is why it's the only pre-1990s shmup that still shows up in the top 25 every year.

But yeah, Final 2's legit fun and the whole build-an-armada-of-ships thing and the customization is great, it guarantees you'll find a couple of ships you'll bond with. The game has that "just one more try" factor that a lot of shooters don't manage. In my play sessions I find myself sticking with it for a couple of hours, much longer than I do with a lot of other horizontal classics like say, Pulstar or Thunder Force IV.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

It's actually much more intricately designed than it first appears to be. The first two stages are a slow-burning warm-up that only show how much thought went into them if you play for score or try to max out your dose, and the third stage, while being a classic R-Type stage mechanically, is the one that falls short of the rest aesthetically, so the initial impressions aren't great. From stage 4 on, however, the game really picks up and constantly keeps you on your toes. There's a ton of variety and the three pairs of final stages are really quite excellent.

You won't get anywhere if you don't develop a strategy to handle each situation the game throws at you. What I really like is that the game actually encourages you to use each of your tools to the fullest. Unlike in any of the predecessors, there are surprisingly many scenes where it's best to play with the force detached, exchanging vulnerability for screen coverage.

Speaking of strategy, anyone have a good one for handling the scene in stage 7.2 after the first pair of jets, where the blue orbs bubble up while a wave comes from the right and some grey enemies from the left? I usually just bomb past it.

That damn 1CC keeps eluding me, even though I can no-miss all stages of the x.2 course individually. My major chokepoints are the bosses of stages 5.0 and 6.2, where I have the feeling that some unfavorable RND can really screw up my run. I mostly 'beat' them by time out, because my weak ship makes it quite risky to attack them properly.
Sengoku Strider

Herr Schatten wrote: the third stage, while being a classic R-Type stage mechanically, is the one that falls short of the rest aesthetically, so the initial impressions aren't great.
You know, I see this type of comment a lot, but I was actually wowed when
Spoiler
the stage opens up into space and you're up against an armada of huge battleships.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Man the extra dev time really shows in the upcoming DLC Pack. Holy ****. Especially that R-Type 1 stage. It looks so different and super vibrant. Screenshots in the link below.
https://ec.nintendo.com/AU/en/aocs/70050000026470
slateman

Post by slateman »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Man the extra dev time really shows in the upcoming DLC Pack. Holy ****. Especially that R-Type 1 stage. It looks so different and super vibrant. Screenshots in the link below.https://ec.nintendo.com/AU/en/aocs/70050000026470
The lower-priced release + DLC feels a bit expensive but when all is said and done, we'll be looking at 11 base stages, 6 DLC ones and over a hundred ships. I would have liked it all at once, but again, the final package feels pretty damn killer, especially in 2021 when shooters (particularly horizontal ones) are few and far between. I'm so stoked to see DLC #2 and 3 and genuinely hope people keep up with this game. It's no Game Of The Year contender (man, I like RE Village) but shmups rarely are. There's so much replay value in this game and there's still more on the horizon.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

The only Shmup DLC standard I really have to go off of are M2's Ketsui and Dariusburst's which I felt not only are too expensive for what they are but they didn't add as much to the game as I wanted. R-Type Final 2 has the right idea for longevity. New ships are sweet but new stages (especially with the course edit) will definitely have me coming back for a long time.

Dariusburst's crossover ships, music and new mechanics are cool but not having crossover bosses or stages made the overall thing feel not so much lazy but doesn't feel like it added much new to the game that's already kind of bloated which in turn made the DLC just feel like more bloat and nothing special.

I love Ketsui but that DLC was quite literally gutted from the game and sold separately (as with the stetch goal levels here for non-backers) which I'm surprised people didn't raise more hell over considering the whole point of a modern rerelease was to compile everything together for one definitive package for future perservation.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I think it would be fun to have a random mode for course edit. A roll the dice kind of thing.

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I finally got the single-ship 1CC on normal mode with the standard R-9A Arrowhead, on the x.2 path. Looking forward to trying some of the other ships now.

Two things I wish for in future updates:

1. A way of changing the default ship speed. It's a minor thing to hit the speed booster twice after each life lost, but it's annoying all the same. Why wouldn't I want to move at the highest speed possible ever?

2. A way of restarting from the beginning or returning to the main menu after a life is lost, without first having to wait for the checkpoint to reload (on the Switch).
Marc

Post by Marc »

[quote="Herr Schatten"]1. A way of changing the default ship speed. It's a minor thing to hit the speed booster twice after each life lost, but it's annoying all the same. Why wouldn't I want to move at the highest speed possible ever?
[quote]

Ah, you're that guy :D
I'm the one that lurks around the bottom on selectable speeds, I generally find most of them too twitchy at the highest. Natsuki Chronicles solves this really well - two speeds selectable in-game, but both definable by the player.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Congrats Herr Schatten!

There are no overpowered ships in the game yet. Even the Leo 2 is balanced by the rarity of bits.

I'm having a lot of fun with the transform-type TL-1B "Asklepios". Split wave cannon is fun to use, but you have to detach the force to use it. Mirror shield force really does reflect enemy bullets back, I haven't found a use for that yet but I don't remember it from the last game!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Herr Schatten wrote:I finally got the single-ship 1CC on normal mode with the standard R-9A Arrowhead, on the x.2 path. Looking forward to trying some of the other ships now.
Congrats!