R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Turrican

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Turrican »

If Bloodstained taught me one thing, It's that physical perks are going to suck big time regardless.

Who cares though? The game got funded, and at least for tiers like mine, It'll be cool to have my name tied to a series that has meant so much.
X - P - B
JBC

Post by JBC »

I'm more excited for this than any other game, and that includes Resident Evil 8 & Elden Ring. R-Type is one of the games that got me into shmups when I was so very young. It's been a long time since R-Type Final. I'll never forget the way this series feels. It's always been so atmospheric and this one also looks beautiful in the few moments we've seen in the trailers. I can't even believe it's a thing really. It can't get here soon enough.
Godzilla was an inside job
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Just got this email from NIS:
Hello R-Type Customers

Thank you very much for purchasing R-Type Final 2 Limited Edition in our Online Store!

We wanted to give you an update on the Limited Edition as there have been two changes in the Collection:

Change 1: We have added on the "33rd Anniversary Pilot Tag" Dog Tag to the Limited Edition! This calls out the 33 year anniversary for the series and recognizes you as one of the pilots that made this happen! Check out our latest addition of the "33rd Anniversary Pilot Tag" Dog Tag here!
Change 2: The Hardcover Art book will instead be a softcover art book, but will contain all the same images and content as originally intended!

If you have any questions about these changes, feel free to contact us at "storesupport@nisamerica.com" with the Subject update "R-Type Final 2 Changes" and we will be happy to assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you once more for your support with our store, and we hope you continue to look forward to your R-Type Final 2 Limited Edition!

Best wishes,
NISA Online Store
StoreSupport@nisamerica.com
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

April 29th in Japan
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Rastan78 wrote:April 29th in Japan
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

There's a livestream aka Granzella Gathering coming up tomorrow am that will have more info about R Type Final 2.

https://youtu.be/YMZLj5lz1NU
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

April 30th in US

Pre-orders open for 2 physical editions. One comes with some stuff. The other comes with some more stuff.
slateman

Post by slateman »

Trailer #4 released today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUqz4rFf-A)

I'm excited about what appears to be a boost in speed versus Final. But then again, I was rather enamored with that game (evidence here http://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal/)
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

slateman wrote:Trailer #4 released today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUqz4rFf-A)

I'm excited about what appears to be a boost in speed versus Final. But then again, I was rather enamored with that game (evidence here http://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal/)
Thanks for the link. It is looking very promising indeed now.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rastan78 wrote:April 30th in US

Pre-orders open for 2 physical editions. One comes with some stuff. The other comes with some more stuff.
Where are these preorders at?
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:April 30th in US

Where are these preorders at?
Amazon, GameSpot and probably other places. I didnt look too hard since I probably won't pre-order a physical copy.
MachineAres 1CC

Rastan78 wrote:Amazon, GameSpot and probably other places. I didnt look too hard since I probably won't pre-order a physical copy.
Same, I'm just curious what they'll have.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:Amazon, GameSpot and probably other places. I didnt look too hard since I probably won't pre-order a physical copy.
Same, I'm just curious what they'll have.
'Inaugural Flight Edition' will include:

R-Type Final 2 for Nintendo Switch™/PS4™/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S
R-Type® Final 2 Official Soundtrack
The Artwork of R-Type® Final 2 Softcover Art Book
Collector's Box

Limited Edition contains:

R-Type Final 2 for Nintendo Switch™/PS4™/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S
R-Type Final 2 Complete Soundtrack
The Artwork of R-Type Final 2 Softcover Art Book
Metal Earth® R-9A Model
"33rd Anniversary Pilot Tag" Dog Tag
Collector's Box

There's a "Chronicle Box" of items that actually doesn't even include the game. Now I've seen it all lol.

It has:
MCU x R-Type image song CD
R-Type chronicle T-shirt
R-Type logo sticker
Face cover mask
R-Type Final 2 PC Engine package-styled keychain
Reprinted arcade leaflets of R-Type, R-Type II, R-Type Leo, and Armed Police Unit Gallop
MachineAres 1CC

Rastan78 wrote:'Inaugural Flight Edition' will include:

There's a "Chronicle Box" of items that actually doesn't even include the game. Now I've seen it all lol.
As far as I can tell, the Inaugural Flight version is the only one releasing in the West, the other two are only in Japan, unless you've found otherwise.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Looks like NIS America online store is carrying the limited edition.
Sengoku Strider

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:'Inaugural Flight Edition' will include:

As far as I can tell, the Inaugural Flight version is the only one releasing in the West, the other two are only in Japan, unless you've found otherwise.
If you look up about 10 posts you'll see I've got the limited edition coming, with details.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

What do you guys think...will the SWI version be on par with PS4? I'd much rather have it on cartridge but not if it'll be inferior visually. Too early to tell probably but it does look really good....wondering if SWI can handle this. All the lighting and whatnot. I hope so, but it makes preordering really difficult.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Samuray wrote:What do you guys think...will the SWI version be on par with PS4? I'd much rather have it on cartridge but not if it'll be inferior visually. Too early to tell probably but it does look really good....wondering if SWI can handle this. All the lighting and whatnot. I hope so, but it makes preordering really difficult.
I know what you mean. Look at what happened with Bloodstained on Switch where the framerate was halfed to 30 and it ran very badly with high input lag. Im totally ok if it ends up with graphics or resolution downgrades on Switch due to the portable nature of the system, but hopefully the framerate will be solid 60 on all versions and input lag reasonable.

Maybe someone like Digital Foundry will do a comparison video. They just did a nice video on the Mister FPGA including some frame by frame comparison with Dodonpachi running on MAME.

I agree that preordering the Switch version is risky. If they half the framerate that's gonna be a mess. But for all we know it could end up identical and perfectly optimized on all versions. Gotta wait and see.
Sengoku Strider

LOL ok now the anticipation for my Switch preorder is pretty deflated. That Bloodstained comparison...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ok Bloodstained was probably a bad example. If they do a good job then gameplay should be equal across all platforms. Obviously Switch is not gonna have 4K etc like the XBOX series X and PC versions probably will. Doesn't look like a game that exactly needs 4K though. As long as the framerate is solid on Switch thats all I really care about.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Bloodstained also ran kind of shitty on a PS4 at launch (not as bad but not anywhere near as well as it should have considering its visuals). I think Bloodstained is just an example of a game that changed developers too many times, with little to no optimization.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah, also sometimes a small dev trying to release on every single platform day one can be a bad idea. Better to release a solid version on one or two platforms first and go from there.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Rastan78 wrote:Yeah, also sometimes a small dev trying to release on every single platform day one can be a bad idea. Better to release a solid version on one or two platforms first and go from there.
When in doubt, always go with the stronger platform. The Switch is great for portability and a few devs have figured out how to program shmups for it decently but something like this where it's a tiny team with limited resources? I would never pick the Switch version. Too risky.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Why are we assuming the switch version will be this vastly inferior version to be avoided?

This is not a hugely demanding game and the switch version was announced at the same time as other platforms, so it was developed with the switch in mind.

Bloodstained was a bit of a mess throughout development, I don't see any reason to think there'd be a repeat here.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I don't think anyone is assuming it will be vastly inferior. It's just that in the context of preordering, the Switch version could be a little more risky. Hopefully it turns out well on every platform.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

To Far Away Times wrote:Why are we assuming the switch version will be this vastly inferior version to be avoided?

This is not a hugely demanding game and the switch version was announced at the same time as other platforms, so it was developed with the switch in mind.

Bloodstained was a bit of a mess throughout development, I don't see any reason to think there'd be a repeat here.
Things were announced at the same time for the Wii and WiiU too years ago and we saw the hits in quality that games that weren't demanding took as a result of being made to run on a lower power machine. This isn't a knock on the Switch, it's a great console but if you want to lock yourself in to have a game with steady/smooth framerates, (usually) less input lag and all of the nice lighting and particle effects you are seeing in the trailer, your best bet is the stronger platform. It's not like they are thinking, "let's build it for the Switch and then upscale it for the other systems..." They are thinking "let's make this as impressive as possible on the high end platforms and then try to get it working with less on the Switch". This has been the way with Nintendo consoles for years now, it's nothing new. Bloodstained might be a "bad" example but you could pick any almost any other game made for multiple consoles and then compare them to the Switch versions. Factor in the size of the team and the resources they have and you are rolling the dice.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Have Kickstarter backers still not received a demo?
2020/09/22
Dear our backers,
・Apologies for the delay in distributing the demo version

Thank you for your continued support of R-Type Final 2.
We sincerely apologize for the delay in the distribution of the demo version.

We had been preparing to release the demo version as a Steam Early Access (beta test) in July 2020, but we decided to reconsider the release date. We are very sorry about this. We are looking at the possibility of making the demo version playable on other platforms as well.
We are very sorry for the long wait, and we would appreciate your understanding. Once the timing of the release is decided, we will make an announcement.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Samuray wrote:What do you guys think...will the SWI version be on par with PS4? I'd much rather have it on cartridge but not if it'll be inferior visually. Too early to tell probably but it does look really good....wondering if SWI can handle this. All the lighting and whatnot. I hope so, but it makes preordering really difficult.
I only get a few games a year and skip on most triple A games, so I decided to pre-order both the Switch and PS4 versions. Plus it feels good supporting games like this. I say get both!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8kvkPwxk4

New gameplay trailer out, guys. And check out the tagline: "Upgrade. Evolve. Destroy."