R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by xxx1993 »

I actually don't like the story in Radiant Silvergun. While it is a good game, the overall plot just feels too bleak for a shmup. It's almost as bad as the R-Type series' plot as a whole.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Look I know there's some shmups with great story out there but I think that you've seriously picked the wrong genre to invest in if you appreciate these things to such a degree
Play for fun and win when you can.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm a bit of a mixed guy, honestly. Sometimes I like the story, sometimes I don't.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

i really hope this revives R-type and more titles will be released.

i want a Delta sequel.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Isn't Final pretty much a Delta sequel?
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

xxx1993 wrote:Isn't Final pretty much a Delta sequel?
Final was garbage, i'm sure they're all related in some sort canonwise but
Delta is on another level.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It was NOT garbage. I swear there are too many trolls on every forum these days...
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^Noone hates R-Type more than you.
xxx1993 wrote:No, ANYTHING but R-Type, because R-Type is a piece of shit.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Keep hating on Final, and I don't think you guys even deserve Final 2.
syveL

Post by syveL »

Are you using all proprietary code, or are you using Unreal or Unity?

We’re not writing proprietary code, and it’s one of the two engines you mentioned, but I can’t say which at this point.
The starting scene in this trailer is not pre-rendered, but a real-time computer graphics just the same as the game
Every time I rewatch the trailer, I just think about how terrible the Switch port performance is going to be. I feel like this is going to be another bloodstained.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

I'm reserving judgement on Final 2 once it actually comes out. Too many kickstarters out there promise one thing but deliver something quite a bit different, sooooo....
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

I'll reserve judgement when it actually comes out. Who knows how long it'll actually be not to mention so many kickstarters deliver games that are vastly different in the end than their promises at first...
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

xxx1993 wrote:I actually don't like the story in Radiant Silvergun. While it is a good game, the overall plot just feels too bleak for a shmup. It's almost as bad as the R-Type series' plot as a whole.
Now if there's one aspect to shmups I couldn't give two shits about, it's the story. Alien empire invaded earth, you're the only one capable of piloting that experimental state-of-the-art space fighter, good enough, let's go.

I don't see why you'd need to single out R-Type here. It's got the exact same premise as hundreds of other shmups, only the variables differ. I even think R-Type has more interesting lore than most, what with Bydo being a corrupting organical entity. Then there's the K-Type/R-Type reproduction strategy thing, not to mention that Final ... suggests some things that are, uh, open to interpretation. The dimension warping thing. The blurb you can read about the ships also helps building a pretty interesting world.

And *Final* is a kickass game - my favorite in the series. Yeah, I agree with complaints about pacing, the boring soundtrack, all those things are true - yet I *still* consider it a kickass game. It's a flawed jewel, as far as I'm concerned.

Which is why I'm eager to see more about Final 2. Talk about a chance to redeem itself.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

syveL wrote:

We’re not writing proprietary code, and it’s one of the two engines you mentioned, but I can’t say which at this point.
The starting scene in this trailer is not pre-rendered, but a real-time computer graphics just the same as the game
Every time I rewatch the trailer, I just think about how terrible the Switch port performance is going to be. I feel like this is going to be another bloodstained.
There's going to be 3 versions of the Switch hardware available before this game's scheduled release. So long as it doesn't take 4 years and 5 studios to finish, I think it'll turn out better than Bloodstained.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

syveL wrote:

could you imagine the battleship stage slowdown, yikes!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

There's going to be 3 versions of the Switch hardware available before this game's scheduled release.
And they all have the same underwhelming specs... except one is stuck permanently in portable (nerfed) mode.
Last edited by Strider77 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Only a little bummed that the highest amount of votes tallied was for the battleship stage (3.0). I mean come on, you KNOW they're gunna put a battleship stage in there, it's R-Type. Fanboys... :roll:

Not so sure about Forest Watchdog being in the top 3 either. People might remember it more fondly for the atmosphere than the teeth-grating checkpoint recovery. I guess Summer Twilight is a nice stage though. I would have vastly preferred Floating Graves, which has far less votes..

Who knows what they'll pick? At the very least it would be exciting to -potentially- play some of these stages without slowdown (hello 3.0 and 3.1).

Since my last post I've played a ton of R-Type Final as 'prep.' Unlocked more than half the ships over a binge period. Still haven't gotten the ones I really want, though. :cry: The interview mentions how the unlock conditions of the original were obnoxious, and I agree. However, I don't think they should be done away entirely. One of the things a number of indie-releases have shown is that a steady stream of unlocks can maintain player engagement through the grind (such as ZeroRanger's palettes or Devil Engine's various unlocks). Having new ships doled out at a refreshing pace would make the player feel more satisfied than having 50 to choose from right off the bat.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Forest watchdog has a fair amount of potential as shipVship duels can be very entertaining if properly done.

This being R-type I find myself not knowing if I should be hopeful or not. No need to bring up the whole final/delta comparison.

That said, nothing wrong with two battleship stages. Battleships are cool, yes.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I guess you're right - I shouldn't be too down on rehashing a stage when the whole point of a stretch goal was to rehash a stage!

I hope they make them different, however. With Forest Watchdog, for example, the only enemies are those balls of light and the slow-moving snake on the ground. I would hope that they liven up the place, if that's what they choose. Summer Night F-B at least has a lot of enemies flying in to make it more exciting.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Looks like this will be shown at TGS.

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/r-type-fina ... ember-2019
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Mero wrote:Looks like this will be shown at TGS.

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/r-type-fina ... ember-2019
And apparently they're going to have a demo of the game there, wow. I guess this game is a LOT further along in development than people (or maybe just me) thought. Further along than M2's Aleste and Ubusana, anyways...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm still holding out on M2's Aleste...
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

i hope the R-9 weapons will have decent power. They were so weak compared to the R-13
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

My prediction is that the R9 will have meh weapons but the most powerful wave cannon, probably in exchange for being the most down-to-earth one.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

These poll results continue to mystify me. Second place for DELTA of all games goes to its piss-easy Stage 1? Did any of these idiots casting 'ballots' ever make it past stage 3?

At the very least, my favorite stage (Awakening) made it to the top. And surprisingly stage 4 in third place, which is one I find pretty hard, but cool (great music track). I hope they don't just randomly pick one of the top three. Because seriously. Stage 1. It's so fucking dull. I am beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with these 'fans.' This isn't R-Type's stage 1, people. Nothing iconic about a big lego snake knocking over some buildings.

Looking forward to seeing what they have at TGS. Likewise, I'm surprised that they're chugging along, but one of these interviews intimated that work started on the game before the Kickstarter even began. Now I just have to hope that Limited Run or Strictly Limited doesn't get their paws on this, and this is speaking as kickstarter backer. I just want more than youtube celebrity reviewers to own copies of this game.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

xxx1993 wrote:I actually don't like the story in Radiant Silvergun. While it is a good game, the overall plot just feels too bleak for a shmup. It's almost as bad as the R-Type series' plot as a whole.
Ive had Radiant Silvergun for maybe 4 years on the Saturn. At first, I had it very high on my to get list. Played it and thought, 'wow this is awesome". Fast forward a few years now, and I think its too gimmicky. Dont like the chaining and just way too many weapons. Alomost like they were trying to cram as many things in the game as they could. I think Ikaruga's simplicity makes it a better game. Just about every Saturn shooter video Ive seen has RS and Battle Garegga vying for the top spot but after playing Limited Run Battle Garegga recentlhy I can say its way better IMO.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Man, Im SO jazzed about Rtpe Final 2. Maybe Im in the minority here, but I like Rtype Final. Still have my PS2 game. Yeah it had slowdown and did we really need 101 ships , but I still enjoyed it. Man I feel like its a dream. All these new shooters being made and companies like M2 are doing and excellent job with their porting. Heck, we even got a new Darius! All that's left is for a new Gradius.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Alpha footage at TGS

A few things to note:
1) ship movement is normal; the trailer shots were just that
2) the stage is all-new; I don't think this is supposed to be a 'remake' of Final like some had feared
3) the stage is pretty rough and probably just a proof of concept for the visual effects. Nice explosions, though I hope they don't obscure the bullets
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Getting straight back into hideous biomechanical fare with the environment and the return of the Bydo System class of ships as enemies, which is heartening. It's a really promising opening salvo, the fundamentals all visibly in place. The openness and flatness of the stage design probably is indicative of its proof-of-concept intent, although the Outslay could certainly create more pressure later in this area.