R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by xxx1993 »

https://youtu.be/a2r6wqwn3mk

Check out this video from Shmup Junkie.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

KAI wrote:Homage Stage DLC will be a remake of the 1st stage from Delta

All the great and incredible stages in delta and they pick boring stage 1. Unforgivable. :x
Why did stage 1 even win the fan poll? Are people so braindead and shitty at the games that they never saw past stage 2's bee hives?
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Yeah, the last two stages in Delta are amazing. Some of the best in the whole series.

I like Stage 2 with it's submerging into the water.

Stage 1 is still good though. Has a great song atleast.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Yeah, a bit disappointed that Stage 1 was chosen. It's a good stage certainly, but I played it too many times due to endless failures at the later levels. Agreed that the last two levels would have been the best choices, although Stage 6 may have proven to be a little too similar to an upcoming Final 2 level (the increasingly infected base idea).
To be fair, I am just relieved it is not Stage 5; despite being another great level, I am not sure I could cope with reliving that nightmare again!

As for the other games in the series yet to have their levels included, my choice would be:

Final - Stage 2 (love the variety depending on the temperature)
III - I've always liked Stage 2 here too, but would be happy with anything except the first stage... its going to be the first stage isn't it?
II - Stage 3 and its fleet of battleships win it for me.
Leo - Having never played this one I am happy to play ANY of this game.
slateman

Post by slateman »

Samildanach wrote:Leo - Having never played this one I am happy to play ANY of this game.
Oh, man, you have to get around to trying it. Different, certainly, but a worthy entry into the franchise.

Of course, there's always the legal question of playing this. But you should make it happen. I quite like Leo.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Final 1 stage 6 would be awesome. Its one of the beste STG-stages, I think.
SmithyTHFC

Post by SmithyTHFC »

Demo coming on the 1st April
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Today's Kickstarter update notes that the remade 'homage' levels from previous R-Type games will be paid DLC but anyone who backed a physical or digital tier will be emailed a code for the DLC.

They also revealed a very lame KS exclusive slip case for the physical orders. It looks exactly the same as the regular box art but just with engrish text that says: R-Type Final 2 crowdfounding edition. Bit lazy.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Demo is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NhKo2WVoo

You need resources to manufacture new fighters like in Tactics. Thanks to Kazuma Kujo, I'm ready to call Final and Tactics it's own continuity. Glimpsed in the trailer is a blueish level that looks exactly like the end sequence from Tactics, I'm guessing this will be the final stage.
Nod Silently
Give a Thumbs Up - Give a Salute
Wink Anyway
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

I hope the demo is not representative of the Switch performance (it probably is, since it's Unreal Engine) because that was kinda bad. It felt like it was 20-30 FPS most of the time. PS4 looks and plays great. No Steam demo to compare, but I think it'll probably be on-par with PS4/PS4 Pro.
To Far Away Times

Played the Switch demo and loved it.

Game feels good, ships feel distinct. Opening stage is good, no dead space like R-Type Final 1. Was messing around and found a quick kill strategy on the stage boss. This game is classic R-Type through and through.

I think fans of the series could be in for something really special here.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Played the demo on Switch and it seemed pretty cool. People who were worried about the graphics being super cheap and bland looking don't need to worry. Looks really good. It's a short and easy first level only so it's a little tough to say how it will play from that. My impressions were positive though.

Unfortunately, yeah the performance on Switch was terrible. My guess is that it does target 60 fps but rarely hits that for very long even with little happening. Maybe they could reduce the resolution and nip and tuck on some graphical settings to get the frame rate smoothed out. I'd rather see the visuals take a hit than the gameplay.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

There's a real chance this is a three to six month old build, too. Publishers often re-use E3 or other show demos for pre-release demo purposes, and that can give you a really skewed look at the product.

It's possible. We won't know until the end of the month. I sure hope they've gotten a bit more optimizations in!

PC version will probably look amazing. These environments don't get insanely complicated, but they're doing quite a bit with UE's physics and lighting to make the levels look really nice. Almost too nice-- the effects can make it seriously hard to see bullets at times.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Also tried the Switch demo just now . . . played fine, I enjoyed it enough . . . hard to say much about it though, based on this one straightforward stage. Guess we'll find out it in a month....
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Not in european stores i guess :/
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

On Switch I think it's only on the Japanese shop. Just create a Japan account real quick.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Edit because situation changed:

Wasn't on PS4/Switch in the West last night, but is now.

Still no Steam demo or preorder.
Last edited by Firehawke on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Just checked this out on PS4, and damn, these visuals and presentation are impressive. Gameplay is pretty solid too, just going by the one stage we get to check out, but this made me pre-order after playing. Definitely excited to check this out in a few weeks.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I went into the demo kinda cynical about it, and came out way more excited about this game's potential which surprised me a bit. Even the first stage has a bit of scoring depth since killing things with the force pod or "tickling"enemies with it racks up some extra points. Then there's that section with a pod that repeatedly spawns spiders where you can try to milk as many of then as you can without cornering yourself or prematurely destroying the pod.

One little thing I also like is that they added that toggle to completely disable the cut scenes at the start menu. Always a good sign that a dev for an arcade style game doesn't have their head up their ass.
To Far Away Times

Wish we had a second and more challenging level to grind and really see the puzzle like gameplay, but I get why they'd use the opening level. The floating space debris with their physics and momentum could have made for a really cool puzzle, but as it is its just shrapnel.

The presentation is quite nice in a genre that doesn't usually get very modernish looking 3D games. Definately a bit more budget thrown into this than most shmups. As always, I would prefer 2D sprites, but this is 3D done right like Ikaruga and Gradius V. The lighting looks very cool in the dark environment. They'll probably get a bigger audience this way.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wow, really excited by the apparent promise in the PS4 build!
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Just had a go at the demo and this is looking great so far. You can unlock more ships than the first 3 in the demo by the way. In fact, the R-museum suggests there will be 99 ships unlockable in the main game. I know the previous game had that, but as that stretch goal wasn't reached, I hadn't expected Granzella to do it here.

Another thing noted: The bydo R-ship with its force pod lurking in the background. I wonder if the first stage will have some variations like stage 2 of Final had? Will there be a defrosted version of the boss?
Special World

Post by Special World »

If you’re talking about the ship i think you’re talking about, I was able to destroy it. I think it came onscreen after blowing up the big box with all the alien type bydo coming out the top and bottom?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Gave the demo a go on both Switch and PS4, also with the latter playing on my base PS4 and my PS5

Did notice some more framerate issues and such on Switch, which is kinda expected. PS4 version playing on my base PS4 worked mostly okay but did have some odd slowdown during the boss, mostly with that up/down firing pattern and the effects on screen there. Playing it on my PS5 had none of that though and was 100% smooth throughout.

Regardless of platform, the game definitely seems to have potential, though obviously not a huge amount to do with just one stage playable so far, but I'm definitely interested to see the rest, and will likely pick up the PS4 version.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Anybody get nothing but hard system crashes when trying to boot the demo on PS4? Of course I was forced to do a system update immediately before loading the demo, so I have no way of knowing which is the cause.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I thought the demo ran just fine on the Switch. Played through it with all six ships and I didn't spot any glaring issues.

Hopefully they'll be to ship out the physical versions in a timely manner, I'm getting anxious to play it now. Not sure how I feel about 99 unlockable ships...I'd rather they spend the time tweaking everything else to perfection rather than making dozens of ships that are just small variations on the previous ones. Quality over quantity, I say.
Special World wrote:If you’re talking about the ship i think you’re talking about, I was able to destroy it. I think it came onscreen after blowing up the big box with all the alien type bydo coming out the top and bottom?
How'd you get it to come on-screen? I've tried killing the carrier craft fast, I've tried letting it live, but the infected ship just stays in the background like a creepy stalker. I was hoping it'd be a hidden, 7th playable ship in the demo.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

bigbadboaz wrote:Anybody get nothing but hard system crashes when trying to boot the demo on PS4? Of course I was forced to do a system update immediately before loading the demo, so I have no way of knowing which is the cause.
I have had no issues downloading or playing the demo on PS4.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Loom1es wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Anybody get nothing but hard system crashes when trying to boot the demo on PS4? Of course I was forced to do a system update immediately before loading the demo, so I have no way of knowing which is the cause.
I have had no issues downloading or playing the demo on PS4.
I've also had no issues playing on a base PS4. You may want to rebuild your ps4 database, maybe that helps.
https://www.psu.com/news/how-and-why-yo ... regularly/
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I couldn't find it on the console but the demo is out in Europe now.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... INAL2DEMO0

(Click 'download from library' after adding it and it should appear in your PS4's library.)
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Ghegs wrote:
Special World wrote:If you’re talking about the ship i think you’re talking about, I was able to destroy it. I think it came onscreen after blowing up the big box with all the alien type bydo coming out the top and bottom?
How'd you get it to come on-screen? I've tried killing the carrier craft fast, I've tried letting it live, but the infected ship just stays in the background like a creepy stalker. I was hoping it'd be a hidden, 7th playable ship in the demo.
I got it to appear by choosing Bydo difficulty. Sometimes it's just lurking back there, sometimes I don't think it appears at all. It seems to be difficulty based.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]