R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Tokyo-J »

Kickstarter is up.

Raised 95K already

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gr ... erm=r-type
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm not about to pay more in shipping and customs than the price of the game itself. Unless this Kickstarter looks like it isn't going to meet its goal (unlikely), I'll skip on backing it and wait to see if the game looks any good once it's actually out.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Uum, is the average pledge higher than usual for games Kickstarters ?
266 donated between 11 000 and 16 500 yen, which seems like a lot, also, the current average would be around 126€ !

Good news anyway.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Curious how the physical copy isn't present in tiers over $100. $5000 gets you to make your very own Bydo and you get a digital copy of the game.

Certainly has a strong start with a bit over 25% already done, but a week is still a really short time...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

I'd love to pledge for just the digital copy, but this whole Kickstarter affair is strictly credit card only apparently
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

PooshhMao wrote:I'd love to pledge for just the digital copy, but this whole Kickstarter affair is strictly credit card only apparently
https://rtypefinal2.com/order/
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I pledged, physical + cd + artbook and name in credits seems reasonably priced.

I wish them luck, although I'm uncomfortable with the whole idea of continuing something that Irem had put to rest.
X - P - B
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Imma set a reminder and will probably pledge close to the end of the campaign. I hope they hit the stretch goal of cross-platform leaderboards.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'd rather have this game be released sometime this year if the Kickstarter is successful. I don't want to wait for next year.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Turrican wrote:I wish them luck, although I'm uncomfortable with the whole idea of continuing something that Irem had put to rest.
They didn't exactly want to put it to rest. They called it "Final" because Irem was basically going out of business and because they were sure that Final was the best game they could make then. It's the same as now.

Gradius III was intended to be the last major game in that series. Then Parodius succeeded it, and eventually we got Gaiden. Developers rarely expect to keep making sequels to their games, and those that get the opportunity to do so eventually run out of ideas... for a while.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The manual states "you can be sure any further R-Type release will not bear the Irem name".
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despatche wrote:
Turrican wrote:I wish them luck, although I'm uncomfortable with the whole idea of continuing something that Irem had put to rest.
They didn't exactly want to put it to rest. They called it "Final" because Irem was basically going out of business and because they were sure that Final was the best game they could make then. It's the same as now.
And if I'm not mistaken, Delta was likewise planned as the 'last' R-Type (and the game itself does have a ring of 'finality' about it, too).
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:The manual states "you can be sure any further R-Type release will not bear the Irem name".
Enter Granzella, ha ha. 8)
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I managed to back the project and I wish everyone good luck in supporting the campaign.

I never got a chance to play R Type Final because I did not have PS2. This title would be the next best thing and it's multi-platform.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

3,000yen shipping!? :shock:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
dave_wellington

Post by dave_wellington »

Leviathan wrote:3,000yen shipping!? :shock:
Yeah it's crazy expensive. The shipping cost is the same for the tier with the artbook, as it is without. Worth mentioning in the comments page if you pledge, hopefully they'll adjust it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The Shooting Star's a good ship to include in the initial four. If more are added, though, I'd hope to see some new designs.

I guess they didn't care enough to take R-Type Leo screenshots. It would be more interesting to see a 3D take on the stages from that game and III than the Final stages again, but Final's positioned at the lowest bonus stage tier.

And "Final 2" is still a terrible title.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
system11

Post by system11 »

I have backed the Kickstarter.

That said, I'm very worried by the statement about 10 stages and more to come later. Why? I don't want to see bland copypasta stages like Dariusburst, R-Type needs well crafted stages with a mixture of scenery and enemies to navigate. It does not need an asset bank used for lots of samey stages - I hope I'm misreading the situation.

R-Tye Final was the worst in the series, they need to focus on what made Delta the better game, which was everything.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I will most likely back since I had a lot of fun with R-Type Final back in the day, despite its faults.

But it would be good to know more about the developer and their team. If I understand correctly Granzella has some former Irem personnel - do they have a good track record? What were their other projects?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

OK, which one of you guys hit up the $10K tier?

It's kinda awkward that the tiers grow steadily until roughly $200 and then it jumps suddenly to $500. I backed it though... hopefully it comes out sooner than Legend of Iya.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I hate to say it, but honestly I hope this funds with none of the extra level/ship stretch goals. Every new feature will delay release that much more, and when you're sending out copies for ps4 you better finish before ps5 comes out.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sir Arthur ahf

Post by Sir Arthur ahf »

Turrican wrote:I pledged, physical + cd + artbook and name in credits seems reasonably priced.

I wish them luck, although I'm uncomfortable with the whole idea of continuing something that Irem had put to rest.
Same here

Hope we can see this beauty
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

system11 wrote: R-Tye Final was the worst in the series, they need to focus on what made Delta the better game, which was everything.

Delta better than Final?...

Have you been drinking? :oops:

...I'll readily admit Final can try your patience at times, maybe less so than Delta I guess. Yes, the soundtrack is boring, yes, there were some ill-advised camera swings that induced the sort of slowdown that never should've gotten past testing, and the game suffers from that drabness I've come to associate with PS2 games, but I just can't help but look past that and giggle like a good fanboy should whenever I'm browsing my hangar for my next run.
system11

Post by system11 »

PooshhMao wrote:
system11 wrote: R-Tye Final was the worst in the series, they need to focus on what made Delta the better game, which was everything.

Yes, massively.

Visual: Delta beats Final in the environments, colour and frame rate areas. The only plus point is pixel count for Final. Pro-tip run Delta on a PS2 with smoothing on and it does a lot to clean up the rough edges on the polygons - not a smear/blur filter.
Audio: You can't even compare them - Delta has one of the best shmup OSTs of all time, and you've got tricks like the underwater tune change.
Gameplay: Delta has much better stage design, more memorable bosses and the ships are diverse. You don't need 100 little ship variants at all.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Delta was miles ahead of Final.

Final got so many things wrong, Pacing, Lack of focus, Boring levels, Forgettable music.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Looks like they're keeping with the direction Final took instead of going back to a more arcade-oriented experience. Hopefuly I'm wrong.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

system11 wrote:
PooshhMao wrote:

Yes, massively.

Visual: Delta beats Final in the environments, colour and frame rate areas. The only plus point is pixel count for Final. Pro-tip run Delta on a PS2 with smoothing on and it does a lot to clean up the rough edges on the polygons - not a smear/blur filter.
Audio: You can't even compare them - Delta has one of the best shmup OSTs of all time, and you've got tricks like the underwater tune change.
Gameplay: Delta has much better stage design, more memorable bosses and the ships are diverse. You don't need 100 little ship variants at all.
...Yeah, the fact that people like you say Delta is the better title makes me feel reluctant to even back this up. I've had a strong bigotry towards R-Type for its dark and eerie atmosphere since Delta, claiming the game had given me "childhood PTSD". Besides, I don't even know how to do a Kickstarter.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

It’s gonna breeze past it’s target. 300 out of 330k with 6 days to go. Long live R-Type. If it’s a really successful kickstarter we may even see entries beyond RTF2!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ryu wrote:Looks like they're keeping with the direction Final took instead of going back to a more arcade-oriented experience. Hopefuly I'm wrong.
R-type has been straying off from arcade experience since well, forever. Even if it wanted to stay arcade-experience, a la I-II, it would be criticized because that particular iteration of the genre doesn't exist anymore. People would expect a Progear from an arcade hori. Thus a sequel true to "Final" has much better chances that one aping I-II.

Guys, I thought It was canon around these parts that Delta is the best R-Type ever. I'm not asking Granzella to outmatch the best ever, really.
X - P - B
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Looks like the page has been updated since my last check, or maybe I just missed this before:
At least 12 original stages (10 + "more stages" afterwards)
Also there is the possibility of remade stages depending on finances.
Sounding good so far, eager to see more.
Also, if any Granzella are reading this, please, please drop that lame techno from your trailers....it doesn't inspire....
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Honestly Delta's pacing is what makes it better than Final. Final intended to be a far more strategic game but was ultimately just more boring and slow.

The rest is up to ship and stage design, and there's not really something you can "Do the Delta way" or "Do the Final way" , rather you can do it poorly or well (and the respective games just match up to that).

I sincerely hope that Granzella makes the stages and ships well. That said, I'd much prefer Delta's pace to Final's and the trailer seems disappointing in this regard.

I still think it'll be a fun experience, but I doubt it'll be the best shmup ever, etc. Not with Final pacing.
Play for fun and win when you can.