R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DenimDemon

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by DenimDemon »

VanillaLucia wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:Are the dlc stages already available for purchase? I don't see them on my PSN store.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Some quick Googling led me to the online store pages which may be of help.

R-Type Final 2: DLC Set 1 ($6.99 USD)
R-Type Final 2 Stage Pass ($19.99 USD)

Only the first pack is available to play right now but the Stage Pass will get you all three packs as the other two release.
Its not available at my region it seems (Hong-Kong PSN)...

Hopefully they will pop up.

Thank you!

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Not going to watch that video review in all likelihood; I know exactly what I'm getting myself 'into' with it. 8)

I can't believe I haven't gotten my fucking backer copy yet. What is this shit, Granzella.
MJR

Post by MJR »

qmish wrote:
MJR wrote: .

Now he claims that director of R-type final 2 is not the veteran Kazuma Kujo, but Hiroya Kita. This is quite weird, considering that the end credits of the game state Kujo as the lead game designer and game director, and the booklet that comes with the inaugural flight edition contain Kujo's interview, where he is presented as director. In this interview he also mentions that many veterans from the original games are in this team as well. I don't even know where on earth did he pick up that Kita name, but he is now blaming "fanboys" for looking the Kujo name up from wikipedia... lol

If someone with a reddit account wants to set this poor sod straight, be my quest. But I don't think it will help, he is going to continue acting defensive (and digging himself deeper into the pit). Bit of shame really, if he really has done good things for the shmup genre in the past, as has been mentioned here.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstat ... ta/credits

EDIT:

http://shmuplations.com/rtypedelta/

Hiroya Kita – Director
Takayasu Itou – Programmer
Koichi Kita – Designer
Ahh, I misread his text there, he stated correctly that Kita was the director on Delta and Final 1, although this being his last reasoning why Final 2 sucks is bit ehh. I don't remember if I ever claimed in the comments that Kujo directed Delta and Final 1. Whely Whell 8)
Last edited by MJR on Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Just beat stages 6.0 and 7.0 for the first time, loved them! Only stages left that I haven't seen are 6.2 and 7.2.

(On the first time I picked grey orb, which took me to stage 6.1. On the second time, if I remember it correctly - I picked yellow orb, which took me to... 6.1. again! But apparently it is random)
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I watched it. Eh. I don't get hung up on any one review. He disliked the game and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

There are things that are a bit amateurish with this game, I definitely had some of the same thoughts about the asset store use (those high resolution cliff textures... really??), but while I can isolate plenty of parts that can be better, my overall impression of the game is that I still like it a lot. We got a brand new R-Type game with a shit ton of content and good stage design in 2021.

Sometimes the game feels like its trying to punch above its budget, and I'm cool with that. Only thing I don't really care for is the music. Its ok, its there, it gets the job done, but this series has a bunch of games with fantastic OSTs so I was hoping for a bit more in that department, and thats one of the areas where budget doesn't matter so much.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:Edit, nevermind. colorboy got you. behold the lels!
Holy hell, is that how bad the ships and enemies normally look on the Switch version? The ship and many of the enemies all appear elsewhere in the normal game, so I don't know why their models would just randomly be all jank just in this stage, but damn that looks really bad.
lol yeah it's pretty bad. I'll take Switch portable mode over shiny-shiny tho. Maybe I'll snag a PC version on a steam stale to see what ultra-graphics I've been missing. A checkpoint restart that isn't 9 seconds would also be nice.

To the kickstarter funder people, thank you all for putting in the cash to help this game exist, regardless if financing and delivery shenanigans happened behind the scenes. I appreciate you! I do enjoy playing the feeling of a """grand""" commercial STG videogame after years of only ports and small-team doujins.

I'd say wait on grinding the ship unlocks until all the DLC comes out, then you'd have two full games of stages to bounce back'n'forth to make the ship unlocks way more casual and enjoyable. You don't want to repeat the feeling of emptiness a decade ago where the ship unlock content was way more tedious because there was so much more player ship content than the Final 1 game stages had to offer. The main popular Final 1 thread was titled "R Type Final Really Sucks" for reasons.
Listen to your elders! We know things!
qmish

Post by qmish »

To Far Away Times wrote:

Sometimes the game feels like its trying to punch above its budget, and I'm cool with that. Only thing I don't really care for is the music. Its ok, its there, it gets the job done, but this series has a bunch of games with fantastic OSTs so I was hoping for a bit more in that department, and thats one of the areas where budget doesn't matter so much.
To me, music was "eh?" when listened separately, but grew more on me during play of game.

Still not in my top 50 shmup osts, or even not in top 100. But has some good tracks here and there. Especially if u like dream trance and ambient.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I liked the music quite a bit.. :oops: then again, I've never been a huge massive fan of any R-type soundtracks, except the ones on C64 sid arrangements & amiga title music of the first one.
slateman

Post by slateman »

To Far Away Times wrote:I watched it. Eh. I don't get hung up on any one review. He disliked the game and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.
I agree. Shitty review? Whatever. Sucks that people are basing their opinions on it, but such is life.
MJR wrote:(On the first time I picked grey orb, which took me to stage 6.1. On the second time, if I remember it correctly - I picked yellow orb, which took me to... 6.1. again! But apparently it is random)
Got to 6.0/7.0 today after a few 6.2/7.2 runs. Unlocked Leo. Next up is 6.1 and Leo II. Pink/Orange/Green lead to 6.0/6.1/6.2 respectively. The grey orb in 5.0 seems to be random? My first run, I didn't collect any and that brought me to 6.2 as well. (Maybe that's random too?) Genuinely hoping the grey one has some other significance for a later update. Was also hoping for something like 3.5 when flying w/ Cross The Rubicon. Just wishful thinking. 1.0's non-icy stage on R-Typer difficulty (not sure which) is a cool alteration.

Does anyone know the full post-launch plans? Dunno if they're reliant upon sales or not. (in which case, I hope 'crappy review dude' doesn't sway too many away). DLC seems to cover extra stages but I am just looking forward to all 101 ships. I still can't believe we're all doing this again all these years later. Particularly as Final 1 was overwhelmingly disliked. Love looking at all these user names with a "joined" date of 2005. Then I realize I'm 45 and played R-Type in the arcades a lifetime ago. Love this forum. (/drunken friday-night feels)

Oh...started to put together a tree list w/ images. See how long this takes me.
https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/tree/
qmish

Post by qmish »

Btw, good old fansites (like yours) totally rock!

Better navigation and SOUL than most wikias :mrgreen:

..too bad many of such went offline, and even webarchiveorg failed to keep all the treasures
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

VanillaLucia wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:Are the dlc stages already available for purchase? I don't see them on my PSN store.
Some quick Googling led me to the online store pages which may be of help.

R-Type Final 2: DLC Set 1 ($6.99 USD)
R-Type Final 2 Stage Pass ($19.99 USD)

Only the first pack is available to play right now but the Stage Pass will get you all three packs as the other two release.
PSN store is a giant disaster now, it's hard to find DLC for anything, and even if you're linked to the store from within an actual game, it still won't even show you all the DLC available for it. I don't know what the hell they're doing with all their digital marketplaces now.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
To Far Away Times

Anyone going to bump a game out of their Top 25 for this next year? I want to, I really do, but I don't think I can.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Theres a new update on Switch version...

Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Does midnight eye actually do anything? Its close range weapons and terribly weak wave cannon make me think this particular ship is supposed to be useful in other ways???
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Leader Bee wrote:Does midnight eye actually do anything? Its close range weapons and terribly weak wave cannon make me think this particular ship is supposed to be useful in other ways???
The force of that series is the only one that fires colored weapons even when detached so you can point blank with them even from far away.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

After seeing that video someone posted of the unreleased ships yet, I have found how to access them using some tinkering. However, while the names and entries aren't all there yet there is a lot of experimenting with our version to see what is possible as the full list of selectable options are not yet fleshed out. For the options that aren't present in the list, some things simply don't work at all and don't show up in-game (for example the Cyclone Force does not show up in-game so you don't get a Force unit when you pick it up). My quick experimenting had me try out the Ragnarok with the Shadow Force and the Hyper Wave Cannon and I really do have to admit that the Hyper Wave Cannon feels much more fun in this game to use than it was in R-Type Final.

Edit: I recorded some Score Attack runs with these ships and am in the process of uploading some runs for those curious to see.
Spoiler
Last edited by VanillaLucia on Sat May 08, 2021 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

To Far Away Times wrote:Anyone going to bump a game out of their Top 25 for this next year? I want to, I really do, but I don't think I can.
I usually follow the "one entry per series" rule, and Final 1 is my series go-to. So no. But I am still having genuine fun, which is kind of a big deal. Absolutely has issues, but I'll be patient for fixes.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Hopefully I'll get the Arrowhead 1CC today.
And I did! 7.2 route. Would have been a no-miss but I goofed up my timing getting through the row of moving balls right before the final boosters. No trophy?

IS the pilot's record borked?
No. of stages cleared with No Continue 4
Highest difficulty of stage cleared with no continues NORMAL
No. of stages cleared without losing a life 0
Looks like they're using the word stage instead of 'game'.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
To Far Away Times

9 years and 721 posts later, I finally have an avatar.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Hopefully I'll get the Arrowhead 1CC today.
And I did!
Congratulations! I' m still working on it. (Stage practice is a godsend.)

Thanks for the hints regarding the stage 2 boss fight. Carrying over the red weapon all the way from Dobbie absolutely slaughters it, but I can now consistently beat it with yellow, too, by riding the pods and shoving the force in their faces. Bombing it can also help quite a bit.

I tried to replicate the safe spots from Icarus' videos, but no luck. I guess they only work with certain ships, of which the R-9A isn't one?
kilauea

Post by kilauea »

Had my copy a week, I can’t say I’m disappointed as I didn’t have big expectations. But it’s clearly not as polished as Final, playing them back to back this feels like a fan tribute. And I think Final was eclipsed by Gradius V.

Each to their own though. It got me dusting off Final and Delta so not a complete waste of money. And there are worse games out there.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Zaarock wrote:
Leader Bee wrote:Does midnight eye actually do anything? Its close range weapons and terribly weak wave cannon make me think this particular ship is supposed to be useful in other ways???
The force of that series is the only one that fires colored weapons even when detached so you can point blank with them even from far away.
Thanks! From the ships description i thought it might be tied into unlocking things in the gallery or researching other ships ffor example

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
repoman

Post by repoman »

subcons wrote:
repoman wrote:I've unlocked 20 or so ships so far but I found most to be quite useless. Am I right in thinking that the key to success is the tentacle force? Because that seems to be a boss-melter.

Can anyone tell me where the Leo ship is in the Museum please? Also, does anyone have any ship recommendations?
I’ve been using this guide and it’s quite good:

Tips and Quick Guide for R-Type Final 2

It’s in Spanish, but reads fine when translated in Chrome. Leo II is #17 in the museum BTW.
thanks, man. Useful!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Here's a translated interview that ought to be interesting for R Type and Irem fans. Final 2 designer Kazuma Kujo is mentioned a few times.

http://www.onemillionpower.com/shinichi ... etal-slug/
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

repoman wrote:
subcons wrote:
repoman wrote:I've unlocked 20 or so ships so far but I found most to be quite useless. Am I right in thinking that the key to success is the tentacle force? Because that seems to be a boss-melter.

Can anyone tell me where the Leo ship is in the Museum please? Also, does anyone have any ship recommendations?
I’ve been using this guide and it’s quite good:

Tips and Quick Guide for R-Type Final 2

I managed to disintegrate Dobkeratops on R-Typer difficulty in 6 seconds with Andromalius, blast hom with a full wave cannon shot, then detatch your force and hide at the end of his tail, rapid fire from the force bit should finish him off

It’s in Spanish, but reads fine when translated in Chrome. Leo II is #17 in the museum BTW.
thanks, man. Useful!

ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

This link should be pretty handy in due time for Passwords.
https://steamah.com/r-type-final-2-all- ... -on-4-may/
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Oh boy, Nintendo, you just opened a full can of worms here!

https://imgur.com/a/i7vfv5E

I get to totally talk your ear off here, don't I? (I also have it on PC, but I certainly have a *lot* to say about the Switch version's performance.)
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Are there any tricks or secrets unlocked by unleashing DOSE at specific times?
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

SavagePencil wrote:Are there any tricks or secrets unlocked by unleashing DOSE at specific times?
None that I have seen. The only real secret so far are the passwords and the gems that determine your last two stages as far I know and experienced.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
TrevorMcFurr

Post by TrevorMcFurr »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:Are there any tricks or secrets unlocked by unleashing DOSE at specific times?
None that I have seen. The only real secret so far are the passwords and the gems that determine your last two stages as far I know and experienced.
There's also one where playing a custom route that DOESN'T include 1.0 which gives you a different launch sequence...
gamertag/PSN ID: TrevorMcFurr

d_resolution dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/kw5fjnvr
Vulcano dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/43ztk2un

"If she makes it, she should be a perfectly normal and healthy cat. Other than having two faces."