R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DietSoap

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by DietSoap »

Has anyone with the PC version found something like an .ini or .cfg file that allows you to customize the visuals a bit? Because there's certainly nothing for that in the game itself.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

They actually went with the cheesy techno in the end?? How uninspiring the music is. They obviously didn't see the myriad complaints about the musical style on previous youtube videos. Tsk tsk. Apart from that, the game looks good.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

So how's everybody liking the game? Having fun? Grievances?

If there is ONE complaint I have with this game that I forgot to mention, its the lack of being able to switch ships between levels. This is really where a lot of my difficulty with the game comes from. Much like Final 1 the level can be downright torturous or a walk in the park depending on what you use.

Good example would be how easy it is to kill Dobs on R-Typer by deploying a Shadow or Tentacle Force at its core while chilling in the safe spot near the tip of his tail but in contrast you bring something like the R9 or Hot Conductor and its a brutal fight harder than anything in previous difficulties in later levels.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:So how's everybody liking the game? Having fun? Grievances?
I do not know if it is just me or not but I feel that on the Nintendo Switch the "feeling" of movement is really wonky. It may be because my JoyCons are drifting so I am forced to use something else (which I have an 8bitdo controller for) but there is a noticeable sense of "sluggishness" I am experiencing. On the Steam version, however, I do not have this at all and the game feels very familiar in comparison.

So far I am liking the game quite it a bit though I was never particularly very good at these games without credit feeding, unfortunately, so I do not know if my word would mean much. From what I can immediately tell, I really do like that there is much more "strategy" to having so many different ships. I really do like some of the changes made to ships like the R-9C "Warhead" where its first full charge is actually powerful and the second is optional if you needed to clear groups. I have not yet gotten to it but I am very curious to see how other ships like the Ragnarok and the Cerberus series ends up playing out as I noticed from several videos I saw of people playing the Albatross (and any with targeting Force Units that seek enemies) ends to make much of the game easier as well.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I don't know if it was just me being stupid again and actually paying for a Switch game, but this game needs a serious patch. This spotty performance is not good.
Also this final level is awful. It's also a slide show despite looking like a PS3 game.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Got to level 2, got killed by the plant closing its leaves on me. I'll remember that for next time. The detached force takes care of Mr Dobkeratops in the blink of an eye, even wih a non homing one. Fire one at his core and he stands no chance. I very rarely launched the force in previous games except to reposition it to the front or back. Detaching the force offensively might be a viable strategy here.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:If there is ONE complaint I have with this game that I forgot to mention, its the lack of being able to switch ships between levels. This is really where a lot of my difficulty with the game comes from. Much like Final 1 the level can be downright torturous or a walk in the park depending on what you use.
You can do this (unless it gets disabled on higher difficulties, I've only played on Normal so far.) On PS4 it's triangle on the level result screen.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

I'm playing on PS4 Pro and it crashed on me. Had bad luck with PS4 games lately. Disco Elysium is a buggy mess and crashed on me frequently too.

How do you unlock new ships? I've played for about 2 hours now but have no idea how to unlock stuff.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:How do you unlock new ships? I've played for about 2 hours now but have no idea how to unlock stuff.
In the Hangar and the Gallery menu you can go to the R-Museum and pick the slots you want to research. The resources come from completing stages and the rewards scale with the difficulty as well. Some of the ships have stage completion requirements and some seem to have ship research requirements. However, it seems there are some that are locked behind passwords (R-9B "Strider" has the password "granzella" without the quotes) and some are still yet inaccessible until a future version of the game, it seems.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

VanillaLucia wrote:
Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:How do you unlock new ships? I've played for about 2 hours now but have no idea how to unlock stuff.
In the Hangar and the Gallery menu you can go to the R-Museum and pick the slots you want to research. The resources come from completing stages and the rewards scale with the difficulty as well. Some of the ships have stage completion requirements and some seem to have ship research requirements. However, it seems there are some that are locked behind passwords (R-9B "Strider" has the password "granzella" without the quotes) and some are still yet inaccessible until a future version of the game, it seems.
That's the ticket! Thank you.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

IDruggedShamu wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Is there any way to boost the framerate to 60fps with a XSS console setup?
I'm playing on a XSX.. while the framrate is smoother on the XSX compared to the Switch, I still notice hitches. I haven't tried the PC or PS4 versions yet.

On the XSS or XSX, if the game itself supports FPS Boost, you need to highlight the game and press the Menu button, then go to Manage Games and Add-Ons, then select Compatibility Options. Unfortunately I'm unable to check and see if this game supports it at the moment.
The FPS boost mode is only for regular Xbox One games playing on Series X/S, not ones that are already optimized for Series X/S. R-Type Final 2 is optimized already, so there won't be FPS boost available.

I played through the whole game and didn't notice framerate drops at all on Series X, so not sure what the difference was between my playthrough and other people's.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

Ah, regarding my earlier post about Backer Rewards and the "extra" music found from the demo I now see that the game does actually implement those. I was curious of others mentioning the "Homage Missions" and saw them and got a neat bit a nostalgia from them.
Spoiler
Last edited by VanillaLucia on Sat May 01, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Looks like the 3 dlc sets have achievements/trophies.

I'll spoiler it as it reveals what games the first two homage stages are from on dlc set 1 and the unlock requirements for the secret achievements:
Spoiler
Third Bydo Mission
Reliving-III: A record of the battle during Operation Code "THE THIRD LIGHTNING".
- 10 points

The Eden Paradox
Reliving-LEO: A record of the battle during the "Eden Paradox" in a parallel dimension.
- 10 points

Mega Wave Cannon
This information is classified. You will need to progress in your missions to unlock it. (secret)
- 50 points How to unlock: Mega Wave Cannon of maximum charge closed the curtain on the Reliving-III.

World Line Without the Force
This information is classified. You will need to progress in your missions to unlock it. (secret)
- 120 points How to unlock: Completed Reliving- LEO without ever equipping the Force.

A total of 190 points in dlc set 1
Wooph

Post by Wooph »

Played through all 3 paths on the PC version. Runs great at 240fps, and it even caps further at 360fps. It's a much better game to play than final. Too bad the music is completely forgettable, and the visuals are wildly inconsistent. Level 3 looks like its made of placeholder assets and 7.2 is lacking in detail as well. I've been playing from normal to R-typer 2 so far, and difficulty seems quite managable until you reach level 6. Some checkpoints are brutal to recover from.

I wish they dialed back the visual effects, because there were occasions where the game was so visually noisy that I flew into something I didn't notice.

I've noticed something odd about the Defensive force's Impact Dispersion Laser too. It seems far more powerful than any other weapon in the game for some reason. I wonder if it's some kind of high framerate bug.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I wonder if the look of Stage 3 is intentional and not a placeholder?

Since it's an AI station, maybe the walls and the ship are supposed to look super sleek and tron-y because they were designed by an AI?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
MJR

Post by MJR »

Mischief Maker wrote:I wonder if the look of Stage 3 is intentional and not a placeholder?

Since it's an AI station, maybe the walls and the ship are supposed to look super sleek and tron-y because they were designed by an AI?
Not very plausible. While it surely is supposed to be sleek-y and Tron-y, in the Stage 3.0 all the lighting, shaders and materials are seriously undercooked. Compare it to the actual official Tron: Evolution made for PS3 more than decade ago; surely it should look better than that, not ten times worse?

No, I think they simply run out of time. It can happen in game development for myriad of reasons, even for experienced developers.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

I'm liking it so far, but I think I liked Final "1" better. I'll echo other posters here and say that starting in Stage 3 things look and feel very cheap, with a lot of poor, low-resolution textures and inconsistent visuals. Like the busted parts on the big ships look shockingly fifth-gen, and there's a nebula that looks very pixelated but is also superimposed on a very sharp planet. It's less great than good. However, the lighting and dynamic shadows are awesome.

Seeing as how the PS4 version performs the same as the demo, I'm glad I changed my preorder from Switch to PS. But I have to say, PC is definitely the way to go (i5 9900 4.3gGhz + RTX1660 + 32GB RAM) Even running at 4K everything is rocksolid with no dips or framedrops as seen on PS4 Base, even when recording in OBS in "indistinguishable" mode. Also worth noting: Everything is visually cleaner and smoother on PC, there have clearly been concessions made to PS4 that may or may not get smoothed out on a Pro or PS5.

Not liking the missing content though, some ships are locked behind "currently being researched at Granzella". No bueno.

At the very least, the shop is all in-game stuff and not RWC (for now.) I was very concerned with that. I'll have way more to talk about in the review.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

1CC Get! But it was kind of unintended, so...task failed successfully? Took me 7,5 hours of flight time overall, ship was TX-T Eclipse. Tentacle Force ftw.

I started today deciding I'd credit feed through the game to see what's in there, unlock the stages to Stage Select for practice and get some of those resources. Well, I got to 7.1 easily enough, and after a few credits of struggling with the first 30 seconds of the stage...the game crashed. At least I kept the resources I had gained during the run.

After a while I tried again, hoping it was just something caused by a memory leak (I had kept the game on pretty much since I got it, only putting my Switch to sleep and never shutting the game off) and on a whim decided to pick a different colored orb near the end of 5.0...hey, a completely new stage! Managed to beat 6.2 though I lost my first, and only, life there, got to 7.2 and beat the damn thing on the first go. There were some really lucky moments, though. End credits, very cool to see my name in a real R-Type game, even if it is just in the middle of thousands of others, and a short monologue about what happened.

No performance issues at all on 7.2, btw.

Beating the game did unlock plenty of new items in the Shop, but sadly not a single resource pack. I do wish there was a way to get them faster. I'm at 28 ships now and at this rate it'll take ~30-40 minutes to have enough of the green ones to unlock a new one (those seem to gather the slowest), so it'll take a good while to catch 'em all.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I saw most stages and unlocked a twenty something ships by abusing credit allowance.

I am only discussing graphics and visuals in this post. Spoilers, of course.

I think the art direction was overall stronger in Final, set pieces like the opening with the control rods of the force drowned at sea aren't to be found here. It's lacking a bit in melodramatic impact. It's also seriously lacking in sexual / gomander weirdness.

I can only remember how sumez was horrified with Bloodstained using Unreal... Now, after Trials of Mana and this one, I definitely get the idea that this Unreal middleware isn't suited for everything and that all games made with it tend to look a bit samey. The games suffer from some graphics schizophrenia with some textures and particle effects reaching hyper-realistic levels but clashing dramatically with the rest of the presentation.

The general consensus about the shoddiness of Stage 3 must be explained by this: the flat surfaces just don't mesh well with the rest of the rendered objects. Unfortunately, stage 3 isn't even the worst offender to my eyes. Stage 4 bio-wall for example gets destroyed in small square blocky chunks... The overall effect is less convincing that what sprite art did with the very same theme in Salamander's first stage, 35 years or so ago.

Stage 5 to me is where the most depressing thing happens. After a while you realize this is meant to be the water stage, except the effect is so bland that it must qualify for worst water rendering in the series. It's less convincing than R-Type II stage II with its waterfalls... Less convincing that the masterpiece Delta with its masterstroke (and Huelsbeck-like) music-changing-while-submerged features... Axelay, Phalanx, X-Out... You name it. If you have a soft sport for underwater shmuppy stages, prepare to a blow because here, besides cool lighting effects on the prisms, the actual watery sensation is non-existant.

It's funny, but since Bloodstained had SotN spritework as a nearest reference, while Final 2 has PS2 polygon graphics to compare with, the glaring flaws of Unreal cheapness do stand out more. Then again, Bloodstained raised six times the money than Final 2 and had a quite longer development cycle, so I guess if you endlessly polish your textures and assets, you can definitely get marked improvements.

Final 2 gets particles and lighting effects to an oustanding degree of course (gotta love that while your force is rotating, the environment gets illuminated accordingly, with different dark spots for every kind of rods you can have), but the overall effect this Unreal production gives, on purely aesthetics grounds, can't make a dent on visual masterpieces such as Gradius V or the first Final.
X - P - B
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Turrican wrote:Stage 5 to me is where the most depressing thing happens. After a while you realize this is meant to be the water stage, except the effect is so bland that it must qualify for worst water rendering in the series.
I didn't get that it was supposed to be a water stage until I went to the Bydo lab and read that the POW armor exclusive to that stage is an aquatic one. Would've helped if there was a short section first above water, and then you go under shortly after, like in Delta.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

To Far Away Times wrote:Godammit. That's disapointing. I only played around with a handful of ships on Final 1 so theres a lot of "new" content here, but still...
It's not so disappointing in the sense that of course you get all-new different stages to play and they are cleverly designed for the most part, on purely gameplay terms.

It's also refreshing in a sort of odd way... Think about it. Let's take Spider-Man. One would thing that a billion-dollar valuable IP aquired by Disney and created in 1962 would get some respect from its handlers. Instead scriptwriters and creators found themselves in such a rut that basically every so often the character needs a "reboot". They can't stay consistent to a vision. The first serious reboot attempts last months or years... then It get rebooted and subsequent reboots come at an even faster rate, until the point that the character becomes only a brand and get defaulted at every new release, kinda like "Final Fantasy".

Lara Croft? Arguably's UK most successful video game character? You can't make a game on her without basically rebooting every time. Assassins' Creed? Ditto.

This is the weird world we live in. A world where Parker or Croft are endless chameleons, but a world in which I'm pretty sure I have to develop the Cross the Rubicon, or I won't get to the Cerberus. R-9 lineage has more consistency than most IPs out there! :wink: :lol:
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ghegs wrote:I didn't get that it was supposed to be a water stage until I went to the Bydo lab and read that the POW armor exclusive to that stage is an aquatic one. Would've helped if there was a short section first above water, and then you go under shortly after, like in Delta.
Yeah... with the overall impression one should work with a lot of trickery here and there. For example, the bydo yellowish medusas are very quick and follow a strict angular path... This is a nod to what happens in R-Type II of course, and yet one cannot shake the feeling that if they were animated a little more, huh, animal or medusa-like, this would definitely help the submerged theme of the stage.
X - P - B
MJR

Post by MJR »

Turrican wrote:I saw most stages and unlocked a twenty something ships by abusing credit allowance.

I am only discussing graphics and visuals in this post. Spoilers, of course.

I think the art direction was overall stronger in Final, set pieces like the opening with the control rods of the force drowned at sea aren't to be found here. It's lacking a bit in melodramatic impact. It's also seriously lacking in sexual / gomander weirdness.

I can only remember how sumez was horrified with Bloodstained using Unreal... Now, after Trials of Mana and this one, I definitely get the idea that this Unreal middleware isn't suited for everything and that all games made with it tend to look a bit samey. The games suffer from some graphics schizophrenia with some textures and particle effects reaching hyper-realistic levels but clashing dramatically with the rest of the presentation.

The general consensus about the shoddiness of Stage 3 must be explained by this: the flat surfaces just don't mesh well with the rest of the rendered objects. Unfortunately, stage 3 isn't even the worst offender to my eyes. Stage 4 bio-wall for example gets destroyed in small square blocky chunks... The overall effect is less convincing that what sprite art did with the very same theme in Salamander's first stage, 35 years or so ago.

Stage 5 to me is where the most depressing thing happens. After a while you realize this is meant to be the water stage, except the effect is so bland that it must qualify for worst water rendering in the series. It's less convincing than R-Type II stage II with its waterfalls... Less convincing that the masterpiece Delta with its masterstroke (and Huelsbeck-like) music-changing-while-submerged features... Axelay, Phalanx, X-Out... You name it. If you have a soft sport for underwater shmuppy stages, prepare to a blow because here, besides cool lighting effects on the prisms, the actual watery sensation is non-existant.

It's funny, but since Bloodstained had SotN spritework as a nearest reference, while Final 2 has PS2 polygon graphics to compare with, the glaring flaws of Unreal cheapness do stand out more. Then again, Bloodstained raised six times the money than Final 2 and had a quite longer development cycle, so I guess if you endlessly polish your textures and assets, you can definitely get marked improvements.

Final 2 gets particles and lighting effects to an oustanding degree of course (gotta love that while your force is rotating, the environment gets illuminated accordingly, with different dark spots for every kind of rods you can have), but the overall effect this Unreal production gives, on purely aesthetics grounds, can't make a dent on visual masterpieces such as Gradius V or the first Final.
You are writing a wall of strange opinions, as usual :lol: But you are entitled to have them.

I would like to note though that Unreal engine is not "cheap" nor it is "wrong" middleware choice for any art style. If anything, it is way more versatile with it's custom shaders that you can write yourself, if you have the time and skills. The caveat is that some things in UE can take longer to do than in Unity, but then again there will be more freedom, and you are not fucked if something goes wrong since you are able to get under the "hood".

I am writing this because your post gave impression that the art in game is somehow lacking because of Unreal Engine. No. It is lacking because the developers clearly did not have either time, resources or skills to come up with good art. It's not the fault of the engine that it's more demanding to use than Unity or other dev tools. Also, flat surfaces never look good unless you can give them some good materials and shaders to reflect light properly on, which in turn requires skills, planning and art direction.

I think Stage 1, 4 and 5 are the best looking ones I've seen so far. Though none of them look as good in my eye as anything in the old, first 2D R-type. Making good looking art in 3D is harder, and the more advanced rendering engine you get, the harder it becomes.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

MJR wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:I wonder if the look of Stage 3 is intentional and not a placeholder?

Not very plausible. While it surely is supposed to be sleek-y and Tron-y, in the Stage 3.0 all the lighting, shaders and materials are seriously undercooked. Compare it to the actual official Tron: Evolution made for PS3 more than decade ago; surely it should look better than that, not ten times worse?

No, I think they simply run out of time. It can happen in game development for myriad of reasons, even for experienced developers.
You guys seen the dlc trailer? I barely did (peeking through my hands, not wanting to spoil anything) but oh boy did i spot a huge ass ...... in there.

So far (st4) i'm preferring Final (for pretty much the reasons Turrican mentioned) but it is so so good to be back playing with the Force in new bydo infested levels.
Airspace under control get back 100 %
heli

Post by heli »

Turrican wrote:but the overall effect this Unreal production gives, on purely aesthetics grounds, can't make a dent on visual masterpieces such as Gradius V or the first Final.
I agree, only most developers are using pre-made engine mostly unreal.
All those original developers are grandpas now.

If you say to a beginner to make a game they are not going to write a engine no more because they dont know the underlaying things what its been based on all these years.

I bet you need a PS5 at least to make a cave game in unreal-engine, i always wanted to know if its possible.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

MJR wrote:

Yeah, I kinda posted that in desperation last night because I'd already bought and been disappointed by Battle Axe earlier in the day.

Two expensive arcade disappointments in one day were a bit too much for my quarantine-stressed psyche to handle.

Had it been $20, I'd have eaten the disappointment and stuck it out for the spaceship pokemon. But I'm much more of a bullet-hell fan than an R-Type one, and I bought this game specifically for the graphics. Refunded!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
MJR

Post by MJR »

Mischief Maker wrote:
MJR wrote:

Yeah, I kinda posted that in desperation last night because I'd already bought and been disappointed by Battle Axe earlier in the day.

Two expensive arcade disappointments in one day were a bit too much for my quarantine-stressed psyche to handle.

Had it been $20, I'd have eaten the disappointment and stuck it out for the spaceship pokemon. But I'm much more of a bullet-hell fan than an R-Type one, and I bought this game specifically for the graphics. Refunded!
I understand :/ I nearly stopped playing in disgust because the stage 3.0 put off me so much. Thankfully, the playability is still quite good and the graphics pick up after that stage.. somewhat. It's not graphical tour de force what I hoped would be, more like uneven, ranging from nice to ok to shaggy.

Contrary to what is being claimed here, you actually can make a quality shoot'em up with Unreal Engine, because you can customize it so much, unlike Unity. It's my own personal experience using it and it's the current consensus with game developers at the moment.
qmish

Post by qmish »

tl;dr, Sine Mora is still best looking 3d shmup, lmao

:lol:

At least Rt Final 2 plays much better
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

qmish wrote:tl;dr, Sine Mora is still best looking 3d shmup, lmao
Iunno, I think Astebreed beats it, generally speaking. Don't @ me.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Technologically - maybe. But not in art direction.

And if bosses/enemies look gorgeous in both, SM is way ahead in how stages are worked out. At times, so many details, reminding me of, e.g. Dimahoo or Batrider.
Astebreed just doesn't reach that with skyboxes that compensate emptiness.