R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Marc »

Got my first play this morning. Seems cool, but there's a lot going on visually. That aside, think I'm going to be spending a lot of time here. It's just got that R-Type..... feel.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Playing this on PS5 now. Runs absolutely phenomenal. DualSense support would put this game over the top.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:Playing this on PS5 now. Runs absolutely phenomenal. DualSense support would put this game over the top.
What does DualSense offer a game like this?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:Playing this on PS5 now. Runs absolutely phenomenal. DualSense support would put this game over the top.
A creepy sensation as you fly through the meat in stage 4?
JBC

Post by JBC »

Samildanach wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
A creepy sensation as you fly through the meat in stage 4?
Since I was a kid I've always lathered myself in room temperature beef and algae scoopings when I play R-Type.
Godzilla was an inside job
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Environmental effects, the force Pod, laser charges, missiles. Speed change FX. The adaptive triggers for charge attacks similar to how Returnal does it. Obviously a lot more w things like gyro and the built in speaker but that's for a sequel at that point.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

New update on PSN:
Patch Notes wrote:What's new in this version.
1. Fixed sections of the game that caused instability.
2. New developable player craft (R-9Ø, R-9ER, R-9ER2, TP-3)
3. Improved controls
4. New player craft decals
Gallery no. 14 was unlocked for me without doing anything
Spoiler
probably due to me having all the R-9B line unlocked.
I also had the complete data for Klein ("Movable Obstacle") in the Bydo Lab without any further action, which I had attempted numerous times to scan in the previous patch.

TP-3 is password locked. Password is
Spoiler
mrheli
A whole bunch of craft histories have been added to the R Manual.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The slow button has actually been implemented really well. All the music and sound fx slow down and speed back up too, It's quite a fun effect!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Patch Notes wrote:TP-3
YES! Any idea when this update will come to the Switch? The last one took its sweet time.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Some more 1:07 changes I noticed:

X5.0 weather transitions have been adjusted. Not improved, just... changed. When using the slow button during the water sections the slowed music sounds like it might actually be a completely new track!

As requested somewhere in this thread; you can now once again mash the speed buttons as much as you want. Great news for Eclipse players and the upcoming OFs!
heli

Post by heli »

Zach Keene wrote:Password is mrheli
Thats me.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Anybody seen the VR 360 play through of stage 1 on YT? Didn't know this was possible even. Found it a bit hard to control the camera on pc but worked well on my ps4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OLwabjHtkM
Airspace under control get back 100 %
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

I was wondering why my Speed Up no longer worked.

Anything mapped to R1/RB doesn't work anymore. They hard mapped R1/RB to be the slow down button regardless of whether you are playing Practice mode or not. They need to let people manual map that command in the options. My muscle memory is all out of wack trying to relearn a new control scheme.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Marc

Post by Marc »

SPM wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Hey all. Figured this was the place to ask. I'm working on a clear of the first R-Type on the PS1. Great game and holds up well. One thing that doesn't though is no save states or the ability to practice specific stages. I don't do mame. Can you use save states or practice levels in R-Type Dimensions? Also , how does this version run the 2 games in their original forms? I won't be playing much with the updated graphics on this collection, just in their original forms.
There's a Dimensions thread, but anyway: The emulation is close to the international version, but not 1:1 (There's no Japan version in the collection). You have stage select and can fully upgrade your ship with the press of a button (to practice CP's without recoveries), and have a fast-forward/slowdown option to quickly move past easy section or practice tough spots (all this under "infinite mode". Classic mode remains... well... classic). It's a great collection, I love it.
Sorry, slight derail, I was messing around on Dimensions last night and can't find any of this stuff. ST6 has been something I've meant to memorize properly for years, but it drops me in with no power-ups and I can't find any option to upgrade (Switch)?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Marc wrote:can't find any of this stuff
There you go! I put it on Twitter in case more people don't know this stuff (not that many will see the tweet anyway haha). It's a game changer for anyone not playing emulators (i.e. save states)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Marc

Post by Marc »

SPM wrote:
Marc wrote:can't find any of this stuff
There you go! I put it on Twitter in case more people don't know this stuff (not that many will see the tweet anyway haha). It's a game changer for anyone not playing emulators (i.e. save states)
Cheers man! Final 2 has gotten me back into the entire series, I will be practicing lots of R-Type 2 for the foreseeable.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Did anyone ever receive a Tshirt that was supposed to be part of the Kickstarter?
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

PSN update (1.08)
Patch Notes wrote:What's new in this version.
1. Fixed sections of the game that caused instability
2. Improved controls.
The Practice Slomo button is now configurable. No new ships.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Still no sign of the previous update on Switch. :x
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Switch version updated to 1.07 on my side
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Thank god they fixed that input mapping issue. It must be said but at least on base PS4, the perfomance has kind been all over the place where they fix one thing and break another section. Twisted Ecology is super choppy again.

Definitely looking forward to throwing this back in the rotation alongside Hades and Nocturne. It blows my mind seeing people with the upper 5 figures worth of resources in each category. I'm only sitting at around 10k of each lol.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Switch version updated to 1.07 on my side
Finally! There seem to be (very) minor changes to the stages. I noticed an additional enemy near the start of stage 3, also the small enemies in stage 5 that crawl along the walls seem to shoot more bullets and earlier. I also noticed some newly introducef choppyness at the start and end of each stage. I wonder what's up with that. On the plus side, the loading times seem a little shorter now, although it's possible I'm just imagining this.

I'm having a lot of fun re-learning the stages with Mr. Heli. It's a powerful ship, albeit not without numerous idiosyncrasies.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I see it updated again on Switch today, any idea what changed?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Playing pretty casually nowadays until the next update. Completed Bydo Lab and just hit 800 stages for Admirality. Can anyone tell me what gallery no. 26 is?
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Can anyone tell me what gallery no. 26 is?
Trade you for no. 11...
Spoiler
"King of Land." A picture of the TW-2 Kiwi Berry
Sly Cherry Chunks

^Thanks!
Spoiler
No.11 is the Wandering Albatross.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Thanks. Strange I didn't have that one already.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Things:

On the Final 1 DLC, if you let the boss fight drag out, the pow armors that keep appearing eventually drop a bit powerup. (not sure if it happens on all routes, but I got it on red>blue route)

A regular in-game decal shop item that appeared later was buying a third bulk set of ship unlock materials, like, enough to unlock 3 ships immediately. (not sure if patch created this or just playing and beating things)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just got my hands on my copy yesterday. I already beat the first two routes. Did it all on Kids Mode because R-Type isn't my cup of tea and I'm well aware of its brutal difficulty. I struggled through all of Stage 7.1.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally beat the third path.