R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Samildanach

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Samildanach »

I am liking the three stages in dlc set 3, each one has something new to bring to the table. The boss of the R-Type Final stage is definitely better than the original version, especially as it would have been a iittle too similar to Stage 4.0's boss. The R-Type II level and especially the boss are adrenaline-filled excellence, definitely the biggest highlight for me. Perhaps the only letdown was the final boss as it felt a little bit of a damp squib. Perhaps it will have a few tricks up its sleeve on harder difficulty levels?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Masochists will be delighted to hear that Rios is far more difficult than when he appeared in R-Type II.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

The Rtype 2 end of level boss is just brutal- took me ages to finally beat it and only managed after I put it on practice mode which I never do.

I'm not that impressed with the choice of DLC levels- seems to me that there were way better levels that they could have remade. Ho Hum, I believe it was all down to a vote- which I never remember being asked to vote in despite being a backer.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

NAVVARR wrote:The Rtype 2 end of level boss is just brutal- took me ages to finally beat it and only managed after I put it on practice mode which I never do.

I'm not that impressed with the choice of DLC levels- seems to me that there were way better levels that they could have remade. Ho Hum, I believe it was all down to a vote- which I never remember being asked to vote in despite being a backer.
I gather Final, Delta and Leo got a vote. I can't recall whether III did and II certainly didn't. Considering Leo's stage 5 got the lowest vote out of Leo's stages and ended up being used suggests they mostly ignored the votes anyway.
I'm just glad they didn't pick my least liked levels of each game, namely: St4 of I (still decent but annoying) St 5 of II (like St 4 of I but even more annoying) St 1 of III (dull, dull, dull), St 5 of Delta (a good level that I never want to subject myself to again) and St 1 of Final (a spectacle but very dull on repeat plays). So they did alright in my book, even if I think they should have given the homage stages' final boss a second surprise form in my opinion (like a version of the original R-Type's last boss bursting out of Dobs hurling his spinning balls of doom out of his head).
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Stage 2 of Rtype 1 would have been good with the iconic Gomander
Stage 2 of Rtype 2 with the water effects
Stage 3 from Rtype 3 with the spider crab boss- I like that one, it's pretty intense.
Stage 4 -(i think) The vertical lever from Rtype Delta -something different?
Stage 5 from final - again, a challenging but fun level

How about a remade stage from X Multiply- I'd love to see that- Stage 3 or 4 or 5 - fantastic levels.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, it's such an odd mixture of groanworthy, dull-as-ditchwater choices (the first stages in most of these games are pretty uncontroversially the least interesting from a gameplay perspective) and left-field bangers (Leo's Area 5 is not one I would have expected to see, but I'm really happy it's there). Any other stage in Delta would have been a more inspiring choice than the one they went with, as much as I love it thematically, and I just hope that going forward they pay more attention to those stages which demonstrate R-Type level design at its strongest and most labyrinthine, gradually ramping up the pressure with a mixture of environmental hazards, anxiety-inducing bottlenecks and ruthless enemy sniping.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Finally beat the dlc. Time to grind them on R-Typer. Was cool to see R-type 1 stage 1 in Final 2 theme. Contrary to Delta stage 1 wich looks beautiful but its almost a remaster of the original with R-type stage 1 they re imagined within Final 2 theme.

I think these old stages are a neat ideia but in the end i would trade them for new Final 2 stages.

Time to add a few more missions on course edit.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Luckily we are getting both new stages to the first part of the main game this summer AND a new set of homage stages later in the year. Perhaps X-Multiply will make an appearance still (along with Imsge Fight, In the Hunt etc.)?

III St 3 is indeed fun, but I personally would plump for St2. Possibly a distorted bias since I still remember the old magazine previews of the game and thinking the stage 2 graphics looking so detailed and inventive.
Delta St 4 would have been an awesome addition instead of St 1. Definitely a missed opportunity there.
Final St 5 could be good if they got rid of the wibbly/wobbly warp effect.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Damn you cant use R-type stage 1 as first mission on Course edit. Its a final stage by default.

Was thinking Rtype 1 > Final 2 stage 4> R-type 1 stage 3 > R-type 3 > etc...

Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Hey all. Figured this was the place to ask. I'm working on a clear of the first R-Type on the PS1. Great game and holds up well. One thing that doesn't though is no save states or the ability to practice specific stages. I don't do mame. Can you use save states or practice levels in R-Type Dimensions? Also , how does this version run the 2 games in their original forms? I won't be playing much with the updated graphics on this collection, just in their original forms.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Zach Keene wrote:So apparently you can use the R-9E series to complete investigations on indestructible enemies like Psywave ("Wave") or Rosengear ("Optical Pinwheel")... not sure of the exact mechanism there yet (if you have to use the charge shot or the bits or what.)

Oddly you don't get the "Update" notification in the Bydo Lab when you do this although the entries are indeed updated.
No 138 ("Movable Obstacle") doesn't seem to want to scan for some reason though...
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Seeing Final stage 2 again felt like slipping in a warm bath even with the slightly inferior lighting. Part of me wishes they copied Final st2 wholesale but the other part of me is glad they changed things up. Beat the boss, get to stage x6.0. Get out of the warm bath and put on your gamer robes and dancing shoes. The music, art direction, the mayhem, the boss. Favourite moment in Final 2 so far. Boss raped me so hard i had to quit but it was a ragequit with a huge smile on my face. More of this pls Kujo-san.
Airspace under control get back 100 %
SPM

Post by SPM »

Gamer707b wrote:Hey all. Figured this was the place to ask. I'm working on a clear of the first R-Type on the PS1. Great game and holds up well. One thing that doesn't though is no save states or the ability to practice specific stages. I don't do mame. Can you use save states or practice levels in R-Type Dimensions? Also , how does this version run the 2 games in their original forms? I won't be playing much with the updated graphics on this collection, just in their original forms.
There's a Dimensions thread, but anyway: The emulation is close to the international version, but not 1:1 (There's no Japan version in the collection). You have stage select and can fully upgrade your ship with the press of a button (to practice CP's without recoveries), and have a fast-forward/slowdown option to quickly move past easy section or practice tough spots (all this under "infinite mode". Classic mode remains... well... classic). It's a great collection, I love it.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Sly Cherry Chunks

Gamer707b wrote:Hey all. Figured this was the place to ask. I'm working on a clear of the first R-Type on the PS1. Great game and holds up well. One thing that doesn't though is no save states or the ability to practice specific stages. I don't do mame. Can you use save states or practice levels in R-Type Dimensions? Also , how does this version run the 2 games in their original forms? I won't be playing much with the updated graphics on this collection, just in their original forms.
R-Types on PS1 has codes for level select and weapon edit. They're easily found on the web.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Masochists will be delighted to hear that Rios is far more difficult than when he appeared in R-Type II.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

SPM wrote:There's a Dimensions thread, but anyway: The emulation is close to the international version, but not 1:1 (There's no Japan version in the collection). You have stage select and can fully upgrade your ship with the press of a button (to practice CP's without recoveries), and have a fast-forward/slowdown option to quickly move past easy section or practice tough spots (all this under "infinite mode". Classic mode remains... well... classic). It's a great collection, I love it.
ZOMG

I've owned Dimensions EX for a year & a half but I had no idea about all that. I've never touched infinite mode because I just thought it was an "I have no patience with these old games just lemme play" kind of thing. So of course I've been hammering away at classic wishing it had some of those features.

Now if it could just get some proper scanlines.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Last Guardian wrote:Seeing Final stage 2 again felt like slipping in a warm bath even with the slightly inferior lighting. Part of me wishes they copied Final st2 wholesale but the other part of me is glad they changed things up. Beat the boss, get to stage x6.0. Get out of the warm bath and put on your gamer robes and dancing shoes. The music, art direction, the mayhem, the boss. Favourite moment in Final 2 so far. Boss raped me so hard i had to quit but it was a ragequit with a huge smile on my face. More of this pls Kujo-san.
I was "dancing" on that boss for 24h... What a pain. Couldn't keep up with the race and hit box at all. Had to take a break and clean my eyes with some Thundercross 2...
Then finally beat the boss.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I backed this and opted for the Jpn version. I finally got around to redeeming my backer code. The Jpn PSN store accepted but I can't find any content. Where are the new stages? I don't even see anything in my download history.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Thanks for the help on those R Types cheat codes fellas. They are going to be a great help.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

What I find weird about the DLC stages is that their difficulty is so wildly all over the place. I would have preferred it if they were arranged in a less random way, so playing them in the preset order made more sense. As it is, playing through the complete course is something you only do once to unlock them all for score attack and stage edit.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Herr Schatten wrote:What I find weird about the DLC stages is that their difficulty is so wildly all over the place. I would have preferred it if they were arranged in a less random way, so playing them in the preset order made more sense. As it is, playing through the complete course is something you only do once to unlock them all for score attack and stage edit.
Absolutely this. RT III St 4 was definitely an odd place to start before getting brutally difficult on the Leo stage. Three relatively easy stages go by , then we get the magnificent but very hard RT II stage. The final stage I guess doesn't need to be the hardest (just look at Delta's final stage) and it is fitting to return to where it all began, it's just the final boss seems to be a bit wet.
Anyway, my course order will be:
Delta Stage 1
Final Stage 2
R-Type Stage 3
III Stage 4
II Stage 4 (though St 5 if you are playing Super R-Type)
Leo Stage 5
then the final stage
Kind of follows the order they appear in the games...which pleases me greatly. Coincidentally it also gets harder from 1-6.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

DenimDemon wrote:I was "dancing" on that boss for 24h... What a pain. Couldn't keep up with the race and hit box at all. Had to take a break and clean my eyes with some Thundercross 2...
Then finally beat the boss.
Ah, the good old TC 2 palette cleaning method! Glad to hear it worked out for you :)
Herr Schatten wrote:What I find weird about the DLC stages is that their difficulty is so wildly all over the place. I would have preferred it if they were arranged in a less random way, so playing them in the preset order made more sense. As it is, playing through the complete course is something you only do once to unlock them all for score attack and stage edit.
It's not just the difficulty, the art direction is also all over the Bydo moon. This lack of artistic connection between stages might be my only real minor gripe with the game right now. Leo stage 5 and R-Type 2 stage 4 seem to be made by a different team then stage 1,4 and 7.0 and X7.0. Stage 3 looks completely different from both of those and then there's stage 6.1. Thankfully there's a course editor and more levels to come.

Edit: That's a nice order Samildanach, going to try that one out.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Last Guardian wrote:It's not just the difficulty, the art direction is also all over the Bydo moon. This lack of artistic connection between stages might be my only real minor gripe with the game right now. Leo stage 5 and R-Type 2 stage 4 seem to be made by a different team then stage 1,4 and 7.0 and X7.0. Stage 3 looks completely different from both of those and then there's stage 6.1. Thankfully there's a course editor and more levels to come.
I feels like a case of resource allocation. We're kind of lucky to say that the crowdfunding campaign didn't even reach the stretch goals for the two R-Type 1 stages but we got all this and more. As for the DLC packs, it does look like for all 3 we got one beautifully crafted stage (X2.0, X4.0 and X6.0) bundled with a bunch of half-arsed efforts.

Stage X1.0 is not actually bad at all. Proof that japanese twitter poll users know how to troll.

Stage X3.0 I've already complained about.

Stage X5.0 has a weird frame-drop for the first section on PS4. The attack waves are nicely designed throughout but there's too much dead air between the weather-changing segments. Also, it would be nice if the scenery evolved in real time in front of our eyes when the weather changes. Finally, we can splosh in and out of the water like in R-Type II but the water effects look really bad. Space-hopper Negus O Shim is rubbish.

Stage X7.0 offers a nice twist on the original formula but art-wise is just another variant of the 'metal box' stage of which we already have 4 (ice, plant, bydo, 7.1 and now fungus).

I'm hoping we get at least one fully organinc stage. The section in 7.1 where the gaupers are exploding into green sludge is too short, we need a full stage of that. (Devs hinted at Gommander's return). My wildcard choice for a homage stage would be stage 4 from Super R-Type. Really liked that most of the battleship was hidden by darkness, only revealed by the flashing lightning.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

How do I access the DLC homage stages on my PC version that I bought on Epic Game Store?

On the PS4 version the DLC courses are unlooked.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

One thing that winds me up is that they swapped around the mid-boss music of the R-Type III stage with the boss music. I've always felt III's boss music suited Stage 4's crazy spinning boss the best out of all the game's bosses and then they go and swap it goddamit. I guess I ought to be thankful that they at least used it on the midboss, but it still rankles me far more than it should. THIS MUST BE SOME KIND OF TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Y'all make me feel like I have low standards as an R-Type fan lol. Most of my complaints with the base game was the lack of biome variety (fixed with DLC Packs), performance issues and the poor balancing of difficulties.

Visuals do matter but I just can't bring myself to call his particular game ugly, just sterile (in some places like 3.0) and the music is always a subjective topic but I've grown to really like some tracks here. Stage 2.0 always gave me a Gradius V vibe and I loved it. The quality of the base game is scatterbrained and there is no denying that but do think the effort here is commendable especially when you see how much better they gotten at using Unreal with the DLC stages. It shows a lot of potential for Final 3's campaign.

Considering this is a $40, crowdfunded, April Fool's joke, it more than met my expectations as I've played far worse for the same price or more. I've also crowdfunded some games I ended up either not liking much or it just wasn't for me so I have that perspective I suppose (HOVER and Wonderful101).

All in all, I've been happy with 90% of the games I crowdfunded and this is one that's pretty damn high up there with Bloodstained series, SuperHOT and Risk of Rain.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Speaking of which, I hope we get a music playlist editor at some point. Would be nice to not have to play 2.0 or 3.0 just to hear that version of the boss theme. I like it as much as that sweet Creature System remix on Nutsack O Shim.
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:It feels like a case of resource allocation. We're kind of lucky to say that the crowdfunding campaign didn't even reach the stretch goals for the two R-Type 1 stages but we got all this and more. As for the DLC packs, it does look like for all 3 we got one beautifully crafted stage (X2.0, X4.0 and X6.0) bundled with a bunch of half-arsed efforts.
Stage X5.0 has a weird frame-drop for the first section on PS4. The attack waves are nicely designed throughout but there's too much dead air between the weather-changing segments. Also, it would be nice if the scenery evolved in real time in front of our eyes when the weather changes. Finally, we can splosh in and out of the water like in R-Type II but the water effects look really bad. Space-hopper Negus O Shim is rubbish.
I'm very interested to find out why certain stages look like they do and hope to hear/read from director-san how it all came about, what challenges and decisions he faced, when he decided to make it such a long term project and where he found all that extra money to do so :D Aiming a bit high maybe but curious nonetheless. Roadmap going into 2022, we might be looking at 6-7 stages with all art styles represented equally in the end. Also have good hope the water effects will eventually get enhanced in 5.0 and X5.0, as it stands the older games (arguably) did it better. Scenery changing in real time might be ambitious but would enhance the experience no doubt. X3.0 does the Delta -> double down hint at Last Resort -> back to Delta vibe already but (on my ps4 at least) seemingly at the cost of scrolling speed, making the stage feel slightly compartmentalised (imo).
ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Y'all make me feel like I have low standards as an R-Type fan lol.
Nah mate, mine are just unreasonably (?) high. I just really like Final (and Delta, Pulstar and Last Resort) and up until the latest dlc's i found myself having a hard time connecting with the game like i did with those titles. It wasn't the quality of the stages per se but more the lack of an overall theme or vibe that made those games so special (to me at least).
ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Speaking of which, I hope we get a music playlist editor at some point. Would be nice to not have to play 2.0 or 3.0 just to hear that version of the boss theme. I like it as much as that sweet Creature System remix on Nutsack O Shim.
Good shout! Would be even more chuffed if they add a few different (more up tempo) ending themes because the current ones deflate my excitement and adrenaline levels immideately. Yes, i liked the BMG ending in Final... sue me :P
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Hey man that BMG ending track slapped and really fit well with that grim finale lol
Sly Cherry Chunks

Rios goes down after two hits from Kenrokuen on normal. You get a free level 4 hit after you pass the first pow (although maybe not if you need to pick up a force), I then charge and hit him with a level 3 right after the one-eyed metal things pop out and attack from above and below. This seems to be the safest time to get a hit in but it may be possible to kill him even quicker, I'm not sure how much damage he takes.
For Leo players: the bit drops on the second run through the maze (you'll notice it repeats about every 30 seconds) if you take the bottom route right after the L shaped wall drops down, just before the metal things pop out.

Granzella dev diary previews Mr Heli and something about a slow button that should make Rios even easier!

https://www.granzella.co.jp/contents/di ... pyaus9MThI