R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I dig it. You don't know how many times in a shooter I pick a ship that's less good for me just because I like the colour better.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hmmm. Interesting. Sounds like possible rpg elements. Guess we can only speculate at this point. If you can upgrade your ship that raises some questions about balancing, how online leaderboards could work etc. Maybe some sort of rank system so the game doesn't become a total wash as you "evolve."

I do like the idea of tinkering with your ship and upgrading it better than having like 500 unlockable ships to deal with. Even though I've always been a fan of barebones arcade style everyone starts on a level playing field gameplay, I'm open to new ideas.

But please, for the love of God, don't hit us with paid DLC upgrades/skins.

It's Forza Horizon x R Type. After I upgrade my R-9 can I race it against a Corvette across a panoramic vista in New Mexico?

Actually the Corvette would smoke the R-9. That is one slow ass space ship.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Rastan78 wrote:Hmmm. Interesting. Sounds like possible rpg elements. Guess we can only speculate at this point. If you can upgrade your ship that raises some questions about balancing, how online leaderboards could work etc. Maybe some sort of rank system so the game doesn't become a total wash as you "evolve."

I do like the idea of tinkering with your ship and upgrading it better than having like 500 unlockable ships to deal with. Even though I've always been a fan of barebones arcade style everyone starts on a level playing field gameplay, I'm open to new ideas.

But please, for the love of God, don't hit us with paid DLC upgrades/skins.

It's Forza Horizon x R Type. After I upgrade my R-9 can I race it against a Corvette across a panoramic vista in New Mexico?

Actually the Corvette would smoke the R-9. That is one slow ass space ship.
I hope it's just skins or unlockable parts at most, but without any kind of levelling up (unless it's done only within the run, à la Caladrius Blaze). Otherwise it may turn into some kind of Sky Force grind fest, which would suck
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote: Actually the Corvette would smoke the R-9. That is one slow ass space ship.
It does have a NOS button if it needs to escape an exploding base or be in the first stage of R-Type III.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Raiden ship is pretty slow too, but it uses that nitro jet boost to get up to the blazing fast 6 mph it needs to get off the aircraft carrier.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

At this point it's still not clear what exactly type of game this is going to be! They haven't said how they'll integrate the past-series levels (Delta, 1, 2, etc.). Who knows if it will have a progression system either; though I think the "evolve" is more of a marketing buzzword than anything else.

Delta/Final's ships had selectable speeds so I wouldn't worry about that. Anyone complaining about the Arrowhead's speed never tried the white-knuckle world of R-Type 2's st4 boss chase with 3 speed-ups (with the game spewing out more and more to get you to crash).

They've showed off a lot of environments so far but not much in the way of action. Time is ticking; throw some enemies in those stages Kujo.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I like the movement speed of R Type and Raiden ships in game. It's just funny to think about how slow they would be flying IRL.

Not to mention that planes in shmups can fly backwards at will without falling out of the sky.

But seriously it would be cool if they hit us with some more extended gameplay clips soon.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Rastan78 wrote:Not to mention that planes in shmups can fly backwards at will without falling out of the sky.
Well... if the screen is scrolling (not always the case), going "backwards" would just be going slower than moving forward or "staying put", but never flying backwards ;)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Well in most shmups the screen scrolls so slowly that you can definitely move backwards. In Raiden I can accept that a ship could fly backwards. I can accept that it can take off from an aircraft carrier at 2 mph. I can accept that it can take off into outer space and space is only about 50 feet away from the ground. But those cows that just continue to lazily graze in the pasture while all out warfare takes place right above them? Total immersion breaker right there. How can I enjoy this game now? :lol:

Sorry guys, back to R Type Final 2. :oops:
SPM

Post by SPM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry for trying to defend the indefensible. Shmups are ruined now. Ruined! :mrgreen:

and yep, back to the topic: Switch trailer! https://youtu.be/jq6KtJ0xme4

Love the OST there. Hope it's from one of the stages :D

Edit: nevermind... It's the same already posted. But I'm glad Nintendo is giving it the spotlight on their channel
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Based on the footage at 0:22, it looks like you can touch the walls on this one. Woohoo!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

R-Type final was one of my favorite STGs...
I hate the way this game looks.
Ultra-budget aesthetic. Was really hoping for something more polished looking, less amateur. Not feeling it.
Sengoku Strider

kid aphex wrote:R-Type final was one of my favorite STGs...
Ultra-budget aesthetic. Was really hoping for something more polished looking, less amateur. Not feeling it.
The obvious solution here is to buy 12 000 copies so they can afford better visuals for R-Type Final 3.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Comparing this game to the other most recent 3D mainline retail shooter sequel that I can think of, Raiden V, Final 2 looks quite a bit better.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

I expected the graphics to look as sterile as they do, but if they keep that shitty trance music it will break my immersion into the game harshly. I have no idea why they'd even put this bullshit into an R-Type trailer... fuck. Let's hope the new Ghosts'n Goblins has better music.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

pablumatic wrote:
Comparing this game to the other most recent 3D mainline retail shooter sequel that I can think of, Raiden V, Final 2 looks quite a bit better.
I completely agree. Says more about the state of the genre than anything.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

It's funny to think how shooting games once had some of the best graphics in the whole medium. There wasn't much in '87 that looked as good as R-Type. Of course, that came from being an arcade-oriented genre, and arcade hardware giving more visual heft than early home computers and consoles.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Mortificator wrote:It's funny to think how shooting games once had some of the best graphics in the whole medium.
While there were no "real" arcades where I grew up, there were those small ones (more like "gaming rooms") attached to restaurants in holiday resorts. Basically a room with 3 or 4 cabs and some pinball machines. And I do distinctly remember how opulent the shmups were looking, compared to anything your crappy 8bit home computer could do.

From what I've seen now of R-Type Final 2, I'm.. underwhelmed. It looks too plasticky, "sterile" as someone further above called it, is absolutely fitting. Not sure I ever saw a contemporary "full HD" shmup that I really liked though.
I'll wait to see how well the gameplay works.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
MathU

Post by MathU »

You know what a game that is primarily about aiming and dodging visible projectiles should have? Lots of particle, lighting, and translucency effects.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Sengoku Strider

Mortificator wrote:It's funny to think how shooting games once had some of the best graphics in the whole medium. There wasn't much in '87 that looked as good as R-Type. Of course, that came from being an arcade-oriented genre, and arcade hardware giving more visual heft than early home computers and consoles.
STGs were pretty much #1 in Japan until the Dragon Quest boom messed up their flow. That R-Type port was what launched the PC Engine past the Famicom on the sales charts, even though it was only the first 4 levels (the other levels were released a few months later as R-Type II on a separate card). That system launched in '87 and only had 26 games through the end of '88, which dripped out at one release per month until fall '88. R-Type was absolutely carrying that system on its back.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

kid aphex wrote: I completely agree. Says more about the state of the genre than anything.
Indeed. I'm not saying R-Type Final 2 looks amazing, but the stuff shooting fans have been handed over the last decade have all been pretty substandard. Dariusburst started on the PSP, keeps moving to better platforms, and the visuals haven't changed much. Final 2 is at least a step up from that and Raiden V.

I'm at the beggars can't be choosers stage and will accept what I get. I may not be alive in another 17-18 years if they decide to make another sequel to an older shooter franchise I like. The pace these are made at is pretty glacial now.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

pablumatic wrote:
kid aphex wrote: I completely agree. Says more about the state of the genre than anything.
Indeed. I'm not saying R-Type Final 2 looks amazing, but the stuff shooting fans have been handed over the last decade have all been pretty substandard. Dariusburst started on the PSP, keeps moving to better platforms, and the visuals haven't changed much. Final 2 is at least a step up from that and Raiden V.

I'm at the beggars can't be choosers stage and will accept what I get. I may not be alive in another 17-18 years if they decide to make another sequel to an older shooter franchise I like. The pace these are made at is pretty glacial now.
I agree 100%. Being that I don't buy triple A anymore and only buy a few games a year now, I look forward to games like this. My way of thinking is that I always try to find the good and a reason to enjoy a game. Unless it's just horrible. I know that some gamers are way too critical and always gripe about games and that's cool, just not my thing. I think this game is still looking better than Raiden 5. Hopefully the gameplay will be spot on and I'll be sold.
Austin

Post by Austin »

In case anyone forgot, the original Final on PS2 also looked plastic-like and sterile. I guess it's fitting this one does as well.
auryn

Post by auryn »

I was actually pretty impressed with the look of the original Final on PS2, it was pretty much as close as you could get back then to a 3d version of the feel of the 2d R-types
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I must admit I'm surprised people is giving so much attention to this.

Not developed by Irem, looks bland, sterile and cheap, what we saw from gameplay so far looks generic and boring as hell, the title is stupid* and should had remained a 1st April joke....

If this didn't have the R-Type name plasterd on it people wouldn't be caring that much for it, if so many other good shmups around.

*R-Type Reborn, R-Type Returns, R-Type Reboot, R-Type Gaiden, R-Type Legend, R-Type whatever. "Final 2" is a stupid name.

Maybe they should have called "R-Type that wasn't Final at all"
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Shatterhand wrote:I must admit I'm surprised people is giving so much attention to this.

Not developed by Irem, looks bland, sterile and cheap, what we saw from gameplay so far looks generic and boring as hell, the title is stupid* and should had remained a 1st April joke....

If this didn't have the R-Type name plasterd on it people wouldn't be caring that much for it, if so many other good shmups around.

*R-Type Reborn, R-Type Returns, R-Type Reboot, R-Type Gaiden, R-Type Legend, R-Type whatever. "Final 2" is a stupid name.

Maybe they should have called "R-Type that wasn't Final at all"
I admit, I'm not fully convinced by the footage I've seen . . . but it's R-Type for heaven's sake! It may not be made by Irem, but ex-Irem staff are involved. I remain hopeful . . . and it's hard for me to imagine not buying it, since I'm such a big fan of the series.

I agree the name is dumb though. R-Type Final really was "final" in so many ways . . . something like R-Type Rebirth could work! Or thinking of the Matrix movies, maybe R-Type Reloaded, or R-Type Revolution. :) However, the name won't matter if the game is good. We'll find out soon....
BIL

Post by BIL »

Should call it R-Type 5. >_> Or R-TYPE ε for 1337 Delta cred (that's a game to reference! max good times!). Or R-Type V. Studies show "V" makes people think of Vagina, an eerily apropos motif for our Giger-loving crew. Make the first boss a massive fanny with metal parts, or something.

Still available! Rock-bottom rates!
Spoiler

Remember: 0% MOE, 110% PLEASE GOD NO

"The [pick a word: grave, grim, morbid, mortal, dirgelike, funereal, sepulchral, fatalistic] atmosphere of R-Type Final presaged teh death of an icon Image" O RLY? :shock: Why's he pawing at my wallet again? Is he a zombie? Wait phone is buzzing

"Hey, sup. I didn't really kill myself after that early 00s emo phase, haha! Sorry about the shitty framerate, I was TOTES WASTED FROM BEER PONG and submitted Alpha code by mistake, lmao! Wanna go shoot some Bydo?"

Oh. :o That explains that! Image Well I'm all paid up, IDGAF. Image Just saying, if you're gonna check out, check out. Unless your swan song was a significant hit, and you're relying on the cachet. That I do get, of course, say no more. Man's gotta eat!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I wouldn't call Final a swan song. It had the features to make the game replayable and the graphics to make R-Type look cool, but gameplay was considerably slower and lamer than the likes of Delta (or older titles). R-Type ε is what we needed '-'
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I wouldn't call Final a swan song.
Pls pretend there are massive, blisteringly flashing scare quotes around "swan song" Image

More like SWAN GONE WRONG song :shock: Image