R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Herr Schatten

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thank you.

It really wasn't so bad in the end. You just need to learn how to use your resources most efficiently. This means playing with the force detached for surprisingly large chunks of the game in order to get the necessary screen coverage, and being very careful which weapon you pick up and when. Apart form the latter half of stage 3, I usually try to keep the red laser. I also bomb strategically in stages 4 and 7.2. the run could have been a no-miss, but I messed up in stage 3, when one of those damned flying tanks got me. :?
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Made a 4k (more a 2k) Video with the Switch- and the PS4-versions in a side to side comparison from first to last stage (7.0 route). Haven't found one on YT so I made it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb27dkFDrWM

The Switch version is really not bad at all if you ask me.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Cool, I'm a captain now. Let's see what's required for my next promotion
Spoiler
Stages cleared without losing a life
99/1000
Well at least I'm already 10% there I guess...
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Congrats Herr Schatten!

There are no overpowered ships in the game yet. Even the Leo 2 is balanced by the rarity of bits.

I'm having a lot of fun with the transform-type TL-1B "Asklepios". Split wave cannon is fun to use, but you have to detach the force to use it. Mirror shield force really does reflect enemy bullets back, I haven't found a use for that yet but I don't remember it from the last game!
I dont think so. I guess most players will find it much easier to get their first 1cc with the tentacle force ships or the Leos. I would say, that every ship wich allows you to do less repositioning feels superior and allows earlier successes. Like if you don't have to switch sides against the stage 4 boss or lets you kill the armored ceiling/ground bio-turrets before you have to dodge their attacks in stage 4. So I guess all wall piercing wave cannons (includes the ones of the Andromedalus for instance) are a bit in favor (if the beams are more or less of equal value).
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

DLC is out on US PS4.

I'm VERY pleased with this pack. The only thing that sucks is that you HAVE to play through the two previous packs to even get to those levels. That Leo level sucks.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

The newest update on Steam removed the unreleased ships so now they all have blank models so attempting to load them will result in an indefinite loading screen. It seems to make sense considering how I saw elsewhere people were celebrating having these unreleased ships (a save data was distributed that had every ship unlocked though not all of them playable for one reason or another). Granzella seems to have made a statement (link here) regarding cheating which I have also seen for people showing off their "no death" runs where they were obviously using something along the lines of a trainer. However, I am anticipating that this means the unfinished content we have seen so far for those who were digging around in the game are definitely going to be different than how they were presented so far (such as certain ships being obnoxiously overpowered).

I personally don't like the arranged music they used for the new Downloadable Content but I will discuss that in a spoiler.
Spoiler
Stage X3.0 as some already know is R-Type Delta's Stage 1, which is also known as "Crazy Machine" in R-Type Delta (known as "Crazed Craft" in R-Type Final 2. While the stage is slower and has a lot of changes from R-Type Delta, I feel that the biggest potential thrown away was really in not only how the ships interacted with the stage in R-Type Delta (you can crash into the cars on the bottom, you had a missile-shooting enemy who was hiding behind a building you couldn't reach normally, and so on) but also that the music simply didn't "sync" with the stage like the original. On top of that, it just sounds like the music was simply unfinished because so much of the variety and things going on behind the song were just "missing."

Stage X4.0 definitely reminds me of Super R-Type because dying at the boss means starting over at the beginning of the stage, but it's not a very long stage either. However, I really feel like the game could benefit from an "alternative soundtrack" option or a "Music Select" option so you can choose something like the original music, the arranged music from R-Type Dimensions, or something else like that instead of it defaulting to some reused music from R-Type Tactics II that I wasn't particularly so fond of. I like the stage, but I really wish the music would have complemented it more.
And it seems that some PlayStation 4 players were also able to figure out what is coming up next due to them having that same little hiccup that gave Nintendo Switch players a preview of Stage X3.0.
Spoiler
As found in the game's files the last time I had posted, it is now seemingly confirmed that Stage X5.0 is R-Type Final's Stage 2 (2.0 all the way up to 2.4 as the music for all variants exists in-game already). I am curious to see what how this looks not only remastered, but if it ends up scaling to what R-Type Final 2 aims for in difficulty or if it will be a copy/paste sort of situation as the music was also untouched. However, from all the promotional material that I recall, we do not know what Stage X6.0 is yet or what we will anticipate from R-Type II.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Marc wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:1. A way of changing the default ship speed. It's a minor thing to hit the speed booster twice after each life lost, but it's annoying all the same. Why wouldn't I want to move at the highest speed possible ever?

Ah, you're that guy :D
I'm the one that lurks around the bottom on selectable speeds, I generally find most of them too twitchy at the highest. Natsuki Chronicles solves this really well - two speeds selectable in-game, but both definable by the player.
Speed 3 is where i like it, 1 and 2 are far too slow but i will ocassionally switch to 4...the underwater stage boss springs to mind where this is useful.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Is it possible to save your custom courses? I like the idea of an 'on the surface' playthrough which consists only of forest, caves etc.
Also I appreciate the way that the RT1's battleship stage has a different setting in Dimensions vs RTF2. Space vs undergound. Adding variety to the remixed stages is a good idea, Delta's stage is almost a 1:1 reproduction visually in comparison.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Delta Stage feels unfinished. Some of the sound effects sound really out of place and the smoke effects really destroy the scale of the decently-rendered city. It plays pretty well but the bit doesn't drop.
Spoiler
So far I've played on 3 variants of stage X4.0: Yellow Bydo, Lava and Purple Bydo. The variants seem to be triggered by difficulty but I got to the purple stage by playing as Shooting Star so I'm not sure.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

tizerist wrote:Is it possible to save your custom courses? I like the idea of an 'on the surface' playthrough which consists only of forest, caves etc.
Also I appreciate the way that the RT1's battleship stage has a different setting in Dimensions vs RTF2. Space vs undergound. Adding variety to the remixed stages is a good idea, Delta's stage is almost a 1:1 reproduction visually in comparison.
Yes you can save your courses. You have like 6 slots or something for that.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:DLC is out on US PS4.

I'm VERY pleased with this pack. The only thing that sucks is that you HAVE to play through the two previous packs to even get to those levels. That Leo level sucks.
Yeah, I really wish I could just pick DLC two-level packs and play them as I'd like. Or just level select/level arrangement in general. I was hoping this new pack would be on a new "homage 2" menu selection or something.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

A Worldline Without Force get!

I never want to see that Leo stage again.

In other news, the difficulty trophies don't stack. I wonder if it's a bug that you can unlock R-Typer 2 and 3 by just doing a 7.X stage in Score Attack.

(lol, I have a gold "R" medal now that the description still reads "????".)
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

I also saw that people have accessed the jungle stage from RTF1, but I can't find it on youtube anymore...did anyone else see that?
Found it: https://youtu.be/CKhmvtCtA_o?t=432
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:The only thing that sucks is that you HAVE to play through the two previous packs to even get to those levels.
Did they jack up the difficulty of the Delta and RT1 stages? If not, what kind of difficulty curve is that supposed to be? I haven't really delved into the homage stages yet, but in their original incarnations, those stages are way easier than even the first homage stage.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Herr Schatten wrote:Did they jack up the difficulty of the Delta and RT1 stages?
Not really.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I've done my first 1cc on normal with the RX 10 Albatross (7.0 ending).
https://youtu.be/c-Hh6S_wgqQ

I would say, its last 3 stages are easier than in Final 1 but the third and fourth are more difficult and a bit more fun.

The Albatross is strong as always but not as strong as the two LEOs.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Angry Hina wrote:I've done my first 1cc on normal with the RX 10 Albatross (7.0 ending).
Congratulations. I've recently been experimenting with the RX-10 myself, but I find it a mixed bag. I try to always keep the red weapon, because I find the blue one weak and difficult to aim. It has a tendency to attach itself to everything but the targets I want it to hit. The yellow weapon seems clunky and not very useful. The force is fantastic for clearing out the rings in stage 6.0 when detached, although I tend to have difficulties catching it, when I try to reposition it, especially if it happens in tight spaces.

Another ship class that absolutely obliterates most threats in stage 6.0 is the R-9B series with its Balmung missiles. The main challenge is actually seeing a thing behind all the fireworks, lol.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Yes, I will try an Sleipnir-Run in the future.

I'am very used to the RX 10, because I've played it in Final 1 many hours, so I can handle the force and the blue beam very well. So at the end I would say, that the blue one is really good. I use it more often than the red one even if it is not too strong damage wise. But the yellow one is really bad and unbalanced. Have no clue, when it is useful. I guess never :D
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I hadn't yet tried a Score Attack level, but was pleased to see after beating a stage in score attack, it grants you the in-game currencies to buy new ships, just like playing from a level in the main campaign. So basically, I get what I was hoping for, which was a stage select, so that's nice.
Been playing R-type 1 stage 3 homage on repeat. It's nice and short, and difficult. Fun to see how each ship presents a new challenge. The fireworks do confuse me pretty often, but the whole level does look really cool. And nice to have all the environmental level variations (though they seem random?)
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

The Balmung missile types really are something to behold in this one. Maybe the best visual upgrade weapon wise.

Question for backers (on ps4) in euroland: What dlc has been released so far? I've only been sent one code a couple of weeks ago which unlocked the first dlc but haven't received any new codes from Granzella yet. Does the same code unlock dlc set 2? Do i have to be patient or do i need to contact Granzella (again)?

Also i thought each dlc pack has 2 stages but i now see new homage stage footage from Delta, Rtype 1 and Final floating around the web... are they all in dlc pack 2?

Thanks in advance.
Airspace under control get back 100 %
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Last Guardian wrote:The Balmung missile types really are something to behold in this one. Maybe the best visual upgrade weapon wise.

Question for backers (on ps4) in euroland: What dlc has been released so far? I've only been sent one code a couple of weeks ago which unlocked the first dlc but haven't received any new codes from Granzella yet. Does the same code unlock dlc set 2? Do i have to be patient or do i need to contact Granzella (again)?

Also i thought each dlc pack has 2 stages but i now see new homage stage footage from Delta, Rtype 1 and Final floating around the web... are they all in dlc pack 2?

Thanks in advance.
You probably already have dlc set 2 downloaded without knowing it. I'm in the UK and I now have the second set without needing to do anything. Your game should be version 1.05.
The level from Final will be in Set 3, along with II and a new version of the first stage of the original game.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Has all homage stages to be played in one particular order? I've downloaded the first two and now I only can play them beginning with the kinda hard R-Type 3 Stage 4 and the even harder one from Leo (? don't know the stage and I don't know Leo so... ).
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Angry Hina wrote:Has all homage stages to be played in one particular order? I've downloaded the first two and now I only can play them beginning with the kinda hard R-Type 3 Stage 4 and the even harder one from Leo (? don't know the stage and I don't know Leo so... ).
The first time, yes. Once you beat them you unlock them in Score Attack and Course Edit so you can play them in any order you like.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Angry Hina wrote:Has all homage stages to be played in one particular order? I've downloaded the first two and now I only can play them beginning with the kinda hard R-Type 3 Stage 4 and the even harder one from Leo (? don't know the stage and I don't know Leo so... ).
Still haven't downloaded the 2nd dlc but if that's the case is a bit stupid. They could've set the Homage courses by dlc sets. Well you can always unlock them by doing a playtrough on practice. After that you'll be able to select the stages for course edit or score attack.

Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

But the Leo Stage is even on practice kinda hard ^^
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah you just need to get the hang of the last platforms elevator just before the boss. The boss dies pretty quick on practice...

Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Samildanach wrote: You probably already have dlc set 2 downloaded without knowing it. I'm in the UK and I now have the second set without needing to do anything. Your game should be version 1.05.
The level from Final will be in Set 3, along with II and a new version of the first stage of the original game.
Haha, haven't checked yet but that's probably it. Only beat the stage 2 boss once but that must have been before the 1.05 update (confusing as my euro copy updated to 1.05 weeks before my backer copy did.. no idea why)
Airspace under control get back 100 %
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

I'm guessing Granzella wants each "season" to be a new 7 stage course for the game hence why you can't really play them seperately once installed (on PS4 at least).

Kind of an unfortunate side effect to have to play through all the content first but whatever. Not like I won't practice each of these a bunch of times anyway.

Speaking of which I need to upload some of these 1CC's I finished weeks ago. Been stupid busy with school and getting screwed on unemployment so R-Typer needs to wait.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

R-Typer 3 1CC complete.

The stage 5 boss is the pretty much the only thing standing between me and a no-death clear. Strangely LeoII can quick kill it (though a bit inconsistently)... but only if you're not at full power.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Zach Keene wrote:The stage 5 boss is the pretty much the only thing standing between me and a no-death clear. Strangely LeoII can quick kill it (though a bit inconsistently)... but only if you're not at full power.
With which weapon? Red or blue?