R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Not that I work for Nippon Ichi, but I didn't see a post about the hori stick giveway
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It's gorgeous, but this is a funny game to design a stick for - it's up there with Caladrius and Grand Cross Renovation in the stick-unfriendliness stakes, with all its shoulder button mappings. I do manage to play it on stick with the following layout, though:

Top row: shot, Force detach/attach, rapid shot, Dose
Bottom row: speed up, speed down

Sort of like a Cave layout but with lots of cumbersome extra functions. :P

@Her Schatten: Icarus demonstrates the st2 safe spot with the Leo II here: https://youtu.be/dNy4uokOs3I
postman

Post by postman »

I emailed Granzella about the gallery, so for anyone who is trying to complete it:

"#63
The condition for unlocking the gallery was incorrect, instead of "Develop R-101", it was "Watch the ending with R-101".
We apologize for the inconvenience." (can't do score attack)

Also #57 is glitched, I had completed level 1 on R-Typer before, but I had to do it again after this patch for the picture to unlock.

I found the two new stages very underwhelming too, BTW.
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

postman wrote:I emailed Granzella about the gallery, so for anyone who is trying to complete it:

"#63
The condition for unlocking the gallery was incorrect, instead of "Develop R-101", it was "Watch the ending with R-101".
We apologize for the inconvenience." (can't do score attack)

Also #57 is glitched, I had completed level 1 on R-Typer before, but I had to do it again after this patch for the picture to unlock.

I found the two new stages very underwhelming too, BTW.
I dunno. The new 5.1, while visually not exactly setting things on fire, is quite good gameplay-wise. The corrupted subs from before and aft sending tracking torpedoes if you are level with them, coupled with the 3-lines of attack from the oprning oysters gave some interesting challenges in how to navigate through. The new boss certainly is decent enough too, while perhaps not as iconic as some of the old bosses.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I’ve bought this game twice plus the stages passes. But now I’m not spending more money on this till something quiet relevant…or if I have nothing else new to play. Will keep an eye since I really enjoy the game anyway.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Samildanach wrote:The new boss certainly is decent enough too, while perhaps not as iconic as some of the old bosses.
That's the weird thing about it - it's based directly on an 'iconic' boss. No doubt it would have taken tremendous effort to recreate the Janus-faced statue faithfully, given the amount of detail and animation it had, but this boss bears no resemblance to it at all. Maybe they were pre-empting further censorship, since the original battle gets fairly gruesome?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Klatrymadon wrote:
Samildanach wrote:The new boss certainly is decent enough too, while perhaps not as iconic as some of the old bosses.
That's the weird thing about it - it's based directly on an 'iconic' boss. No doubt it would have taken tremendous effort to recreate the Janus-faced statue faithfully, given the amount of detail and animation it had, but this boss bears no resemblance to it at all. Maybe they were pre-empting further censorship, since the original battle gets fairly gruesome?
Ah, that is stage Z2.0 (In The Hunt St 5) with its Golem boss whereas I was waffling about the new Final 2 stage 5.0 with the fish..thing boss.
The Golem boss is indeed less gruesome than the original, although as he takes damage you start to see a skeletal jaw and a creepy frondy thing where his eyes should be, so I am happy enough with that.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah of course - sorry! I haven't played the standard course in ages so I need to check out the new 5.1 ASAP.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Does anyone have the new #48 in the Bydo Lab? It would seem to be either something added to 5.0 or something in 5.1, but either way I don't seem to have encountered it.
postman

Post by postman »

#48 Corroded submarine (from the new level).

Looks like a sub with a bunch of Bydo junk on it. I beat it on practice and it appeared, so just keep playing the level.

More help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMd8AwjrupI
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Got it, thanks. I had been playing on R-Typer and the subs are all D Tiras (#49) there.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Does anyone have problems unlocking the Incomparable R-Typer achievement on the XBOX port?, 'cos I've finished the game on all the three R-Typer levels and it doesn't unlock, making me think it is glitched or something.

Speaking of achievements, how can I unlock the "Spacecraft Carrier Pursuit"?
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Speaking of achievements, how can I unlock the "Spacecraft Carrier Pursuit"?
There's an extra section of the stage after the boss that only appears on Bydo or higher. Don't recall doing anything special other than that.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Two of the most loathed stages in the series, and both stone cold classics:

https://youtu.be/PTgjY_ytPHc
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Hopefully the R-Type Final Stage 1 homage will have far less dead space than the original. Early videos I have seen suggest that is the case and the boss Xelf has had an upgrade too.

As for R-type II stage 5's homage, they appear to have applied the same improvement that they did for the R-Type III Cask Factory homage, in that they provide lines tracing where the fast moving wall building/wall eating enemies will travel. I approve, though I do wish we had more homage levels from III and Leo.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Set 8 appears to be out for everyone now.

Prepare your soul for the crushing pain of the R-Type II Stage 5 homage.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So when's Final 3 coming out? Hopefully in time for Halloween.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Fun fact: you can cheese the Sabotage Report trophy by doing it on Practice and abusing slo-mo. (You can also kill the red drones.)
ryu

Post by ryu »

xxx1993 wrote:So when's Final 3 coming out? Hopefully in time for Halloween.
Are they already working on a sequel? I haven't even been able to play 2 much yet.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

ryu wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:So when's Final 3 coming out? Hopefully in time for Halloween.
Are they already working on a sequel? I haven't even been able to play 2 much yet.
They mentioned they were working on an R-Type Final 3...
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

R-Type Final 3 is just the tentative name for a big update to R-Type Final 2. Certainly more content, but not an actual sequel. The next stream is Oct 29 and is supposedly a big announcement in Japanese and English, co-hosted by NIS. You never know, 3 might actually come out in time for Halloween.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

That's going to be hella lame if R-Type Final 3 is basically just a DLC and some extra trimmings.

Atleast make a new game in order to earn that number, ya know?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:R-Type Final 3 is just the tentative name for a big update to R-Type Final 2. Certainly more content, but not an actual sequel. The next stream is Oct 29 and is supposedly a big announcement in Japanese and English, co-hosted by NIS. You never know, 3 might actually come out in time for Halloween.
It better come out in time for Halloween, considering R-Type is one of the freakish, most nightmarish shmup franchises ever.
qmish

Post by qmish »

To Far Away Times wrote:That's going to be hella lame if R-Type Final 3 is basically just a DLC and some extra trimmings.

Atleast make a new game in order to earn that number, ya know?
It's more like 2.0 and 3.0
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

So, I backed this Rtype Final 2 since the kickstarter and when I got my game disk, although I live in the UK, it appears that only Japanese Playstation Store updates will update it.

To give an example- if I buy and download the new levels using the UK Playstation store they simply don't work.

I need to buy the Jap Playstation store levels for them to appear.

Anyone got a solution to this? It's a pain having to buy a credit to use in the Japanese store in order to buy these updates.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

NAVVARR wrote:So, I backed this Rtype Final 2 since the kickstarter and when I got my game disk, although I live in the UK, it appears that only Japanese Playstation Store updates will update it.

To give an example- if I buy and download the new levels using the UK Playstation store they simply don't work.

Anyone got a solution to this? It's a pain having to buy a credit to use in the Japanese store in order to buy these updates.
This happened to all Kickstarter backers. We only got the JP version.

The only solution is to buy a version of the game for your region. DLC on Playstation is region locked.
qmish

Post by qmish »

The only solution is to buy a version of the game for your region. DLC on Playstation is region locked.
"solution" is not a fitting word in such case :roll:
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

NAVVARR wrote:So, I backed this Rtype Final 2 since the kickstarter and when I got my game disk, although I live in the UK, it appears that only Japanese Playstation Store updates will update it.

I did the opposite and bought a JP copy a couple of weeks before I got my download code. I had to reinstall, can't remember if it asks for your region when you download but I havent had a problem with DLC since.

Check https://team-rtype.rtypefinal2.com/setting and see if you have a DL code. It would be hella-lame if everyone who requested a disk got the wrong region!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

This is available at its lowest ever price of $23.99 on both Steam and GOG right now.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I've kinda lost interest in this anyway a bit. It's a steady drip feed of mediocrity now. Old levels rehashed, I'd prefer some decent new originality.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab