R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BurlyHeart

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by BurlyHeart »

copy-paster wrote:One informant told me that FINAL 3 would be just Final 2 with all DLCs and stuffs present in one package, not surprising if it's true. :lol:
That's pretty big, appreciate the heads up.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Finally had the chance to play it on the Switch.
- Hitbox seemed huge at first, but I got used to it.
- Graphics are sterile, but I guess this is how non-indie games look nowadays. The lighting effects were, indeed, excessive in that they made it impossible at times to see enemy bullets - case in point: first boss on the highest difficulty was incredibly annoying to beat due to this problem.
- Music ranged from ok to hilariously bad and inappropriate (I get angry just thinking about the stage boss tune. whoever thought that that would be a fitting piece of music needs to be shot).
- Stage design for the first four levels was ok, but not amazing.
- Menu design is an atrocity - when it's game over I can chose to go back to the main screen? When I don't have any continues left I can still "chose" to go back to the main screen instead of getting a proper game over-screen? Way to destroy any arcade ambience the game might have built up before.
- Load times are stupidly long.
All in all, I wouldn't buy it again for 65 Eurobucks and give it a 6/10.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
heli

Post by heli »

Waiting for the final 3 version with all DLC included.
Load times ?, nice graphics cost many time, it looks to nice.
Happy i did not buy this yet.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:- Graphics are sterile, but I guess this is how non-indie games look nowadays. The lighting effects were, indeed, excessive in that they made it impossible at times to see enemy bullets
There's a lot of modern games I've played that I feel went way overboard with lighting effects and actually would have benefited from more "flat" shading, or have bloom options you can disable and look better without it.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I've been trying to keep up with all the R-Type Final 2/3 info and I have not seen at any point a mention of all the dlc being included. Now that certainly doesn't mean it WON'T be included, but since Final 3 is meant to be a free update, I think it is very unlikely.

What has been revealed is the presence of alternative new levels for the early/mid game as well as some form of multiplayer component. The info on Final 3 has been very limited, but hopefully we will be getting more in the next couple of months.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Samildanach wrote:I've been trying to keep up with all the R-Type Final 2/3 info and I have not seen at any point a mention of all the dlc being included. Now that certainly doesn't mean it WON'T be included, but since Final 3 is meant to be a free update, I think it is very unlikely.

What has been revealed is the presence of alternative new levels for the early/mid game as well as some form of multiplayer component. The info on Final 3 has been very limited, but hopefully we will be getting more in the next couple of months.
Is there anywhere I can catch up on R-Type Final 3 news? Haven't seen much about it other than its being worked on.
postman

Post by postman »

Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

And fuck all these stupid DLC shenanigans. It cuts a game into lots of little pieces when it should be a self-contained whole. Also, RF2 was by no means cheap.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

How much DLC is there? Just the six stages? I think I might have seen something about a ship, too. Anything else?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

They have released two 'seasons' of seven stages each, with a third set imminently arriving. You can buy them in their two season passes, alternatively they can be bought in their individual sets of 2 or 3 levels. Confusingly getting a season pass doesn't automatically get you the levels, you have to then 'buy' and download the now free level packs... though maybe this is how all season passes work these days.

To be fair, the base game had 11 stages in all, which is towards the upper end of what shmups normally have. Also, while admittedly there were limited ships available at first, they have gone on to release all 101 ships as they made them, for free. There is a single paid for ship, which is perhaps the only thing that I thought was a bit cheeky.

There looks like there will be at least 3 new levels to be added for free in the Finsl 3 update, so you do get a pretty good bang for your buck in the base game, even if it took a couple of years to get there.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Samildanach wrote:They have released two 'seasons' of seven stages each, with a third set imminently arriving. You can buy them in their two season passes, alternatively they can be bought in their individual sets of 2 or 3 levels. Confusingly getting a season pass doesn't automatically get you the levels, you have to then 'buy' and download the now free level packs... though maybe this is how all season passes work these days.

To be fair, the base game had 11 stages in all, which is towards the upper end of what shmups normally have. Also, while admittedly there were limited ships available at first, they have gone on to release all 101 ships as they made them, for free. There is a single paid for ship, which is perhaps the only thing that I thought was a bit cheeky.

There looks like there will be at least 3 new levels to be added for free in the Finsl 3 update, so you do get a pretty good bang for your buck in the base game, even if it took a couple of years to get there.
Thanks for the recap. I got Season pass Vol 1, which was included for free for KS backers. I also bought Vol 2 on sale a couple weeks back. I'll just wait and watch for Vol 3 to go on sale eventually. Thanks again.
slateman

Post by slateman »

They may be doing what Street Fighter V did. If you install any old version, the latest update will bring you to SFV: Champion Edition. However, you could also buy a retail game, also titled SFV:CE which has "all" the content.

Granted, changing the number to 3 would really give a sense of NEW - but maybe re-tooling all that DLC to be more embedded in the system/game loop could open it up to more new users. I bought at launch and tinkered with the first DLC but then fell off.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

While not directly game related, per se (granted, the box is R-Type Final 2 themed), my Figma figures of the R-13 and R-X showed up today. They're actually larger than I was expecting:
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Can somebody tell me how to unlock these images from the gallery?
No.11, 14, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 31, 34, 35, 40, 41, 43, 45, 46, 50, 57, 59 and 63
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
postman

Post by postman »

Granzella monthly V-log is out, looks like an update for RTF 2.5 is coming first now in mid August.

DLC for Mr. Heli and In the Hunt stages.

Revised shop and R-Museum.

Details at about 22 mins in the video.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

slateman wrote:I bought at launch and tinkered with the first DLC but then fell off.
Exactly the same for me - I Kickstarted the thing, got my 1CCs in the three routes available in the base game, tried out the first DLC set once or twice but then fell out. It was taking a long time to get enough resources to unlock new ships, and by that point I had already played the game a few dozen hours, and wanted to do something else. RTF 2.5 will apparently make gathering resources easier where equipping certain pilot suits gives you a bonus percentage for gathering specific resources (mentioned here, and shown earlier in the video here) , but it's hard to say if that'll be enough. At least it'll tie the pilot customization into the rest of the game in a more meaningful way.

I'm also kind of annoyed how my Kickstarted physical copy is far from the complete game in itself, it doesn't even have all the 101 ships included in the cart. That said, I do like the game, and if there's ever a new physical release of R-Type Final 3 that is honest-to-goodness complete with all the ships, DLCs, patches, everything included, I'll probably double-dip.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Looks like the new underwater level is going to be stage 5.1, as in an alternative to the original stage 5.

The other new level (that appears to have similar 'electronic data' aesthetics to Final's stage 6.2) is being called stage R1.0 or something, not sure what that means...an alternative stage 1 seems unlikely since the player would not have had the chance to select it from the pod that releases the level crystals. My guess is that the 'R' stages are random stages that you could end up with at any time in a playthrough.
postman

Post by postman »

Can somebody tell me how to unlock these images from the gallery?
No.11, 14, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 31, 34, 35, 40, 41, 43, 45, 46, 50, 57, 59 and 63

Good news, part of the update is revealing requirements for gallery pics. So mid August you should get an answer.
MJR

Post by MJR »

What, no mention of the new DLC set 7 trailer? I am quite excited that they got first level of Mr.Heli in, I love that level so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDExfYvIQko
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

MJR wrote:What, no mention of the new DLC set 7 trailer? I am quite excited that they got first level of Mr.Heli in, I love that level so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDExfYvIQko
Yeah, it looks good. Will be getting the dlc day one as I have been pretty impressed by the dlc levels so far.

I've heard in the grapevine that set 8 will be Final's first stage and Delta's 6th. Also set 9 may have Image Fight's Stage 1 and X-Multiply's 4th stage (plus presumably one other). https://www.reddit.com/r/RType/comments ... eculation/
Looks to be a pretty decent set if that is true.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If so, any idea if the X-002 will be included, or if they're still just going with Cross The Rubicon as a close analogue?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Have the developers mentioned, even hinted, that they might release “Final 3” physically, with all DLC?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I've not read/heard anything that answers the above two questions. I would definitely buy it again if an all-on-disc complete version were released, despite having everything digitally.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The new DLCs are out now on Steam (and I assume other platforms).

Here's the DLC Set 7 page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2068 ... DLC_Set_7/

And, as with the previous Stage Passes, for some reason Stage Pass Volume 3 isn't listed on the main store page, you have to click on the DLC Set 7 page, and it shows up there as a buying option.

For PC users, stores like Fanatical and Green Man Gaming currently have 15% off discount codes listed on the main store page, so you can purchase the Stage Pass Volume 3 from them for a bit less than on Steam.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I can confirm the free R-Type Final 2.5 update and not free dlc pack 7 (or expansion pass vol.3 if you prefer) are up on the UK ps store.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Any idea when we might see the remakes of R-Type Tactics I+II ?
postman

Post by postman »

Just a heads up for the latest update (now live in the US):

1. The game will default to 0 ship stock, so when you die and get a continue screen very fast, don't panic just change the setting in the new "advanced" difficulty options.

2. The new free level is accessed via a stage select ship which now appears in level 4.

Also, I think some gallery conditions are wrong, one is "develop ship R-101" and "clear level 1 on R-Typer difficulty" both of which I have but the picture has not unlocked.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Which class of ships is the Granvia associated with? I still haven't spent nearly as much time with this as I'd have liked to, so half of the branches on my ship tree are still bare.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Did they switch up some boss patterns? My old safespot strategy for Stage 2 doesn't seem to work.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Voxbox wrote:Did they switch up some boss patterns? My old safespot strategy for Stage 2 doesn't seem to work.
There's a safespot there? With which ship?
The only one I know of is the safespot at the 5.0 boss with the Leos.