R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Klatrymadon

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does - I had to log into a Japanese account to claim the first 'stage pass' pack on PS4.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Zach Keene wrote:From https://nisamerica.com/blog/r-type-fina ... 2-dlc-sets
NIS America wrote:*Please note that due to differing storefront policies in North America, the final boss within Stage Y1.0 in DLC Set 4 will differ slightly from the original Japanese release. Please refer to the information below to see which platforms are affected:

R=Unchanged Content; Release Date 10/15&Modified Content from Japan; Release Date TBD R=Xbox One / Series X&PlayStation®4 US R=PC Steam, Epic Game Store, GOG, Microsoft&Nintendo Switch™ US, EU R=PlayStation®4 EU&
lol
Image Image Image

Never change, Anglosphere. Image Image Image Yanks for ultraviolence, brits for smut, Nihon for BOTH Image Image ("Hero Turtles?" U wot m8?)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Apparently the word filter for making your pilot name is also really overzealous: https://twitter.com/_RibbonBlack_/statu ... 6399706112
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wonder if it still calls you a "CNT" for credit feeding >_> (nah that was Raiden's thing, IIRC :lol:)
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I see that Rtype Final 2 DLC set 4 is now available for download.
Is this free for backers?
I'm being charged for it- is that correct?
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, DLC 4 is part of a second set of stages, and it can be bought either individually or as part of 'stage pass 2', I think. No backer privileges on that one. FWIW, the 'stage pass' given out to backers didn't include everything from first set, just stages X1.0 and X2.0. (At least, that's what I got when I claimed mine on PS4.)
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

[R-Type Final 2 Second Decal Contest Kicks off] Submit your drawings & designs to Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtags #RDecal & #rtypefinal2 ! The winning entries will be included in the game and can be used as decals by everyone who plays the full version. The deadline for entries is November 9th, 11:59 p.m. (JST).
We look forward to your entries!! For more information about the contest rules, please see:
https://rtypefinal2.com/news/2021/decal-contest-202110/
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I waited patiently for the game to go on sale on GOG, and now here we are. The GOG installer failed for some reason but I used InnoSetupExtractor on it. Problem solved. The game runs with medium settings on my GTX 650 Ti. It works with Joy2Key. Window mode doesn't work so I guess I'm going with fullscreen.

This has the same problem that basically all 3D games have, where you have to find out the hard way which visuals are purely decorative and which are actually part of the game. "Do I die from touching this stuff? Uh, yup. OK. Good to know." Doesn't happen in every stage though, and R-Type was always big on trial and error. IIRC, having the charge shot ready at the right time to wipe out particularly dangerous enemies was a big part of the old R-Type games (at least the original one and Super). But the charge shot feels underpowered in Final2, so I find myself not using it much. Not needing to collect a powerup to change your ship's speed is nice, although it would be better if that setting persisted when you respawn too.

I'm enjoying the shmup action so far. The things outside of that, by which I mean the various menus, extras, customizations, and constant confirmation prompts, are horrendously obtuse and clunky.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

ED-057 wrote:I waited patiently for the game to go on sale on GOG, and now here we are. The GOG installer failed for some reason but I used InnoSetupExtractor on it. Problem solved. The game runs with medium settings on my GTX 650 Ti. It works with Joy2Key. Window mode doesn't work so I guess I'm going with fullscreen.

This has the same problem that basically all 3D games have, where you have to find out the hard way which visuals are purely decorative and which are actually part of the game. "Do I die from touching this stuff? Uh, yup. OK. Good to know." Doesn't happen in every stage though, and R-Type was always big on trial and error. IIRC, having the charge shot ready at the right time to wipe out particularly dangerous enemies was a big part of the old R-Type games (at least the original one and Super). But the charge shot feels underpowered in Final2, so I find myself not using it much. Not needing to collect a powerup to change your ship's speed is nice, although it would be better if that setting persisted when you respawn too.

I'm enjoying the shmup action so far. The things outside of that, by which I mean the various menus, extras, customizations, and constant confirmation prompts, are horrendously obtuse and clunky.
I just picked up the Deluxe edition on GOG as well, and my initial thoughts are very close to yours (although I didn't have any install issues).

The only other thing I would like to add, which I am sure has been mentioned previously in this thread, is the visual prioritization of enemy bullets. Those getting obscured by explosions and other objects is more of an annoyance than a challenge. I am not an experienced R-Typer so I don't know if that's par for the course when it comes to the series or not.

I am adapting to the heavy trial-and-error/checkpoint gameplay loop. As much as I hated that style before (it was THE main reason why I didn't get into shmups as a kid in the 80's/90's) this is growing on me "a little". Based off what I am hearing the Leo2 ship is pretty good so I am going to aim to unlock that and go from there.

Quick question for the R-Type Final 2 Vets: I saw that in the shop you can exchange the "R" currency for the other currencies that are used to unlock ships, are those options always there for exchange or are those one-time only purchases that can never be utilized again? Based on the weird scaling between the low and high amounts I am thinking one-time only.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

They're nominally one-time purchases, but the most recent major update made the three biggest packs of materials available again (for another one-time purchase), so maybe that'll continue as more content is added to the game...
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I can't find the new dlc on US Eshop or Hong Kong PSN. Is it out yet?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

It’s out in NA!
Spoiler
Blue Spiny Dog Dick! Great job Granzella!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

I like that under "My Addons" the icon for Set 4 still has the original design.

edit: it's actually the same picture that's been in the trophy list all this time. Still funny they didn't change it.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

ED-057 wrote: IIRC, having the charge shot ready at the right time to wipe out particularly dangerous enemies was a big part of the old R-Type games (at least the original one and Super). But the charge shot feels underpowered in Final2, so I find myself not using it much.
It's highly ship-dependent. There are others you'll unlock down the line which can charge up multiple bars and do colossal damage.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:It’s out in NA!
My morbid curiosity demands footage of the censored version of the boss. :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:It’s out in NA!
My morbid curiosity demands footage of the censored version of the boss. :lol:
Here is some footage of the censored version (around 3:56), though the thumbnail for it still shows the old version.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Glad to know that my Asia PSN shows uncensored version.
Really digging this stages so far.

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I love that the censorship effort has only produced a fetish object, a lurid sex toy.
BIL

Post by BIL »

From Magic Dragon to Bad Dragon Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Ribbed for her pleasure.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

The censored version is nastier lol

DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

So where can i find the new Image Fight ship? And speaking of ships the password for Mr. HELI never worked with me..
Anyone know why?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It's just "mrheli" with no spaces or punctuation IIRC - is that how you entered it? To get to the Image Fight ship you need to have unlocked number 48, the TX-T Eclipse. The OF-1 Daedalus is behind it, followed by all the variants. There's a helpful ship tree here (though it isn't fully up-to-date): https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/tree/
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Udderdude wrote:Ribbed for her pleasure.
The censored version is BARBED, jesus

DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Klatrymadon wrote:It's just "mrheli" with no spaces or punctuation IIRC - is that how you entered it? To get to the Image Fight ship you need to have unlocked number 48, the TX-T Eclipse. The OF-1 Daedalus is behind it, followed by all the variants. There's a helpful ship tree here (though it isn't fully up-to-date): https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/tree/
Thank you, i do have the TXT N48 unlocked, so it's the 49 row. I see now... Im missing some Etherium.
I have unlocked 48 ships on ps4 and 46 on Switch...yeah... Damn i love this game.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I should have gotten this on PC. I got it on Switch because I had a trip the same week of it's launch and really wanted to play it. These load times are insane.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Yeah I'll probably get it on Steam if they don't improve that on Switch (which I highly doubt :cry: ).
Plus, you know, my Barakus in all its glory :lol:

Long load times in shmups... :roll: Some are enjoying it on Switch though! Maybe play it on a lower difficulty for now to die less and avoid respawning load times?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
lordnikon

Post by lordnikon »

I bought on day 1.

The DLC pricing is out of line.

I bought the Digital Deluxe version of R-Type Final 2 at full price, because I wanted to vote with my dollars. The developers of a sequel to a game I am a big fan of chose to release in DRM free format. This is great. Awesome. If I buy a game for PC, I would prefer it to be DRM free. I never expected to ever be able to play R-Type Final 2, let alone in an incarnation that involved some of the original developers.

By buying the Digital Deluxe version, I figured I would gain access to the complete package of creative output that Granzella had planned out for the game. At near $65.00 USD, this is what I assumed. The GOG description said (and STILL says) the Digital Deluxe version included access to "Stage Pass". Not Stage Pass Volume 1. Just Stage Pass. The purchase implied I was done paying money.

It turns out, they aren't finished with the game. *shrugs* Its not done yet. They are still working on it, and their vision, if there even is one beyond stringing out DLC content, isn't finished. They have a whole nother set of DLC that they now want me to pay them $19.90... for 7 more stages. This is almost an entirely new games worth of stages. Just make another game. Make an Image Fight game so its the new Dark Souls of the shmup genre or R-Type Tactics 3, or some 3D based Silpheed style R-Type spinoff. Anything other than dragging out wallet leeching "who knows when we will be done" DLC.

So, when am I supposed to be able to formulate an opinion on the "finished" R-Type Final 2? I guess I can't yet, not until they are really really done with the game.

I am just not a fan of the modern day peace meal release process, not only from a creative content perspective, but a pricing one as well. I more or less have to start waiting years for games to mature like wine, or just get out of gaming and play what I already have. Play the old stuff, and check out from the modern industry.

$84.63 USD is too much for all the content in this game, and them opting to release a Stage Pass Vol. 3 would push the price beyond $100. Insane pricing does not help keep me from pirating this game, especially if I feel the original amount of money I spent should entitle me to Stage Pass Vol 2 content.

I know many of you may not have any issue with this, and that is perfectly fine. This is just where I am personally at with this stuff.
"Nature is amazing when you're a kid.
You have fish in the rivers and oceans, and wild plants in the mountains.
There's food to be found everywhere.
That's how we enjoyed nature.

But we've lost it all." -Naoto Matsumura
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I agree with all that for the most part, but just to answer this point:
So, when am I supposed to be able to formulate an opinion on the "finished" R-Type Final 2? I guess I can't yet, not until they are really really done with the game.
There's a development 'roadmap' which culminates in the release of 'R-Type Final 3', supposedly due for the end of this year*. We've little idea what that will involve (got my fingers crossed for yet more stages!), but that's the last planned/announced update, as far as players are aware. I could swear Kujo mentioned supporting the game for two years after release, though, so who knows...

*those 'late summer' features have not been added yet, so I'd assume these release dates will spill over into next year.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

So you say you're wating for R-Type Final 2 Final?