R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Droks

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Droks »

How is R-Type Final 2 currently running on the Nintendo Switch after the patch? I’m not a PC gamer, so I’m adjusted to 30FPS and lower resolution games. But I am concerned with the Switch overheating, as some people have mentioned in the discord I’m in. Does that Switch’s fan also struggle?
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Its nothing special, I guess. Played a lot in handheld mode. Even in summer while its very hot here in Germany. Performance is really good as shown in a comparison video Ive made:

https://youtu.be/Sb27dkFDrWM
SPM

Post by SPM »

The only problem for me with the Switch version is the loading times. I'm sure they would piss me off too much.
I haven't bought it yet in case they improve them. If not, I'll end up getting it on Steam :roll:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Here's to hoping R-Type Final 2 adding some ships from other series or themed DLCs for the next Stage Pass.

I would die if Vic Viper was added to this game.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Here's to hoping R-Type Final 2 adding some ships from other series or themed DLCs for the next Stage Pass.

I would die if Vic Viper was added to this game.
Vic Viper!? The old school rival of R-type. Hmmm, sounds interesting...
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

SPM wrote:The only problem for me with the Switch version is the loading times. I'm sure they would piss me off too much.
I haven't bought it yet in case they improve them. If not, I'll end up getting it on Steam :roll:
But the Loading times of the PS4 version could be way shorter too.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Definitely! I just saw your video and the only death I saw took 10 secs. Terrible.
As I said, I'll wait until the final version (or get it on Steam and see how my laptop handles the load times)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

The loading times (I'm playing the Switch version) are really atrocious. Inbetween stages I don't really care, but they make practicing with the score attack mode really awkward, because you want to restart quickly after screwing up, but the loading times make this impossible. I wish they would address this issue first before releasing any new content.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Yep. The death freeze screen should last half the time and the loading screen shouldn't take more than 2-3 seconds. I breaks the rythm. It would be great if they placed checkpoints closer to the action as well. Coming from its arcade roots I can't understand why this wasn't a priority.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

SPM wrote:It would be great if they placed checkpoints closer to the action as well. Coming from its arcade roots I can't understand why this wasn't a priority.
My guess is that, like the first Final, this is done to give the 5 or more charge-level ships a chance to charge up their death rays.

Credit fed and got the 7.0 ending and am pretty pleased. That's two endings, two (?) to go?
Still haven't even touched my special stage pack or any difficulty higher than normal. I figure I should get a good grasp of the game first before credit-feeding R-Typer and up like a madman.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

New update up (on US PSN at least).
Patch Notes wrote:What's new in this version.
1. Fixed sections of the game that caused instability.
2. New developable player craft. (TP-2S, TP-2M, TP-2H)
3. Improve controls. (R-Craft Album)
Also another set of resource packs have been added to the shop (+1200 of each type for 6000 Rpts a pop).
Gallery no 28 is now unlockable.
There are now two different options for the DLC courses ("R-TYPE Homage Stages Course Stage X1.0-" and "R-TYPE Homage Stages Course Stage X3.0-")
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Zach Keene wrote:New update up (on US PSN at least).

Also another set of resource packs have been added to the shop (+1200 of each type for 6000 Rpts a pop).
Gallery no 28 is now unlockable.
There are now two different options for the DLC courses ("R-TYPE Homage Stages Course Stage X1.0-" and "R-TYPE Homage Stages Course Stage X3.0-")
Man why can't they resources in the shop just be infinite or at least restock every completed playthrough. I appreciate them listening but this is just a bandage fix to the problem with how damn expensive ships get and how stingy resources given are.

The DLC stage change was a good one. I hated the idea of needing to replay that godforsaken Leo level every time I wanted to check out the new levels.

What are the unlock criterias for Gallery pictures? Is it ship development or something else entirely?
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

It's generally "unlock the ship(s)/beat the level pictured." I haven't been keeping track of specific requirements. I'm actually missing two still (not counting 33 and above, which I assume aren't in the game yet.)
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Codes are now available for backer-exclusive ships R-9uso800 (APRIL FOOLS) and TW-3B: (LONG SYMPHONIES), for you crazy bastards who pledged US $500 or more.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Codes are now available for backer-exclusive ships R-9uso800 (APRIL FOOLS) and TW-3B: (LONG SYMPHONIES), for you crazy bastards who pledged US $500 or more.
Hopefully they get datamined soon.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

The need to pack all my gaming stuff to do some construction work at home as made me play more the Switch hand-held.
The game looks a bit better on Switch than i remembered... Texture and resolution wise I mean, since the frame pacing is still quite noticeable.
The DLC 2 looks fantastic on the Switch screen. Now if they could fix the damn loading...
Im surprised for how long I've been playing this game and still coming back for more... And still having a lot of fun with it. Good Times.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Sly Cherry Chunks

Gameplay vids of the joke ships are on Youtube already.
ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Codes are now available for backer-exclusive ships R-9uso800 (APRIL FOOLS) and TW-3B: (LONG SYMPHONIES), for you crazy bastards who pledged US $500 or more.
Hopefully they get datamined soon.
If hackers distribute the $500 dollar ships to everyone, Granzella are likely to stop supporting the game. Put me in the screenshot.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Gameplay vids of the joke ships are on Youtube already.
So... one is the Kiwi Berry with multicolored shots and an absurdly huge wave cannon, and the other one ...causes the end credits to play over the game?
I think I can live without those, lol.

Speaking of the TW-2 Kiwi Berry, that's now my go-to ship for stage 6.1. Its powerful vertical bombs and strong red laser are absolutely fantastic in this stage. Its small size also makes it possible to sit in a semi-safe spot* while fighting the boss where you can also use the drill force to fully charge your dose.

* I learned the hard way that, apparently, different ships actually seem to have (slightly) different hitbox sizes. That surprised me. Case in point: the semi-safe spot that works brilliantly with the TW-2 Kiwi Berry doesn't work with the bulky R-9Sk2 Dominions.

Now that I can no-miss the x.1-route up to stage 7, can anyone recommend a good ship for practicing stage 7.1 that's as close as possible to the Bydo ship?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

EmperorIng wrote:
SPM wrote:It would be great if they placed checkpoints closer to the action as well. Coming from its arcade roots I can't understand why this wasn't a priority.
My guess is that, like the first Final, this is done to give the 5 or more charge-level ships a chance to charge up their death rays.
This was my thinking as well, but so many of these breaks don't end with anything justifying a charge shot that I notice.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

You're right about the ships being superfluous but I don't think they would go that far to can everything they just announced. If that was the case Capcom would've been dead from all the leaks and datamining years ago lol.

It's interesting that Kujo mentioned wanting to put an Image Fight stage and a Tactics stage in the next Stage Pass as well as make a brand new campaign for Final 3 entirely. 28 stages in total sounds ambitious.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Noticed some 1.06 changes in game:

Added a Dobkeratops roar right before the first bossfight. (Its the same SFX from RTF stage 4)

Floating tanks from stage 3 had their shots changed from yellow to a lovely turquoise, ready for the RTII stage.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Does the game have rank? I could swear the little orange enemy bullets in stage 7.1 are faster and more numerous if I play it as part of a full run compared to selecting it in score attack.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

It does, and is presumably what's being measured by the number on the right side of the score multiplier popup. It increases for each force power up, having full dose, and periodically throughout a stage (moreso in Score Attack, I only see this increase during a normal game if you stall against the boss for a long time.)
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Finally unlocked Hades! Definitely one of my favorite of the R-13 line. I'm starting to get a hang of some of these levels on R-Typer 3 (The stronger ships feel balanced in this difficulty in an odd way). Stage 2 is honestly a blessed and cursed level. That boss is nonsense and all checkpoints are near impossible to recover from if you die but early enough in the game to where a lot of time isn't wasted to just restart.

Is it universally accepted that 2.0. Boss, 5.0 Boss, 7.2 Bydo Wall are the hardest sections in the game not counting the entirety of 6.1 (Why it's always avoided)?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Is it universally accepted that 2.0. Boss, 5.0 Boss, 7.2 Bydo Wall are the hardest sections in the game not counting the entirety of 6.1 (Why it's always avoided)?
I think so. I would add the stage 6.2 boss to that list, unless you use a ship with a continuous beam that can utilize the safespot.

The Bydo wall in 6.2 isn't that bad, but you need a ship with good screen coverage, either through a detached force or a homing weapon like the Leo's yellow laser. It's a perfect place for bombing through, too, because you can easily refill your dose if you let a certain enemy grab your force. Well, maybe not on R-Typer 3 difficulty.

Here's an interesting analysis of the stage 2 boss patterns.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

I've recovered from the Bydo Wall checkpoint on R-Typer 3. AMA

The Wall itself isn't actually a threat. Attach force to rear, park in the bottom right corner (yes, bottom right), and wave cannon any of the Bydo that pop up directly in your path.

It's the popcorn swarm afterward that can give you grief. If you're fully powered, a detached force will handle things nicely. If you're using Cerebus/Hades, you have the homing wave cannon that can keep things under control. If you have a Leo with a level one force... good luck.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I would like to get a R-Typer 1cc (but not with the Leo) but Iam stuck with the stage 2 Boss. In score attack it works sometimes but if he's going one, two or three times the harder routes, its nearly just luck for me at the moment.

@Herr Schatten:
thanks for the link. Ive seen some ways to avoid getting stuck between the two but Iam not sure if i could react fast enough. Look at route 11 and how narrow the room gets and how the two projectiles pass the ship... I dont know...

It seems that the Boss is more or less the same in R-Typer and R-Typer 3.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

I'm really having issues with this stage 2 boss. The idea is interesting but it gets out of control way too easily a lot of times for me. The King's Mind trick is nice for salvaging a run just to finish it but a waste if you're trying to maximize on points.

Speaking of which is that 1,000,000 points trophy bugged out? I feel like it should have popped during one of my Bydo runs in Score Attack. Is it only for the main game?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

You know, when the game was just out and someone wondered if anyone would include this in their top 25 next year, I though "No way!", but in the meantime the game has grown immensely on me. I'm just having so much fun with it. I know that Delta is quite certainly a better designed game, but I don't think I really enjoyed playing it as much as I enjoy playing RTF2. So while I would place RTF2 in third place of my favourite entries in the series, just behind the original and Delta, it's become actually quite likely that it will enter my vote next year, as a honorable mention at the very least.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Its hard for every game to be compared to delta, so...
;)