R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MJR

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by MJR »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
qmish wrote:
Leader Bee wrote:Its crazy, the core is only exposed for a fraction of a second even on practice.
I still try out thing with starter 3 ships, and i timed out with them there :oops:
Easiest way is usually shoot it a few times before the battle so it starts swinging back and forth, then when it swings mostly to the left, go all the way to the bottom and shoot your force to the right side of the screen, then move back to the top of the screen and recall your force and it'll just jam into the weak spot so no matter whether you or your force is hitting it, you'll do a lot of damage, even if it turns around the weak spot. Works way better with a force that homes in on enemies, but still works with any force, really.
Thanks for this!
While I have mostly played on practice so far, just to get the feel on the stages, I did try the R-typer to see Dobkeratops in it's full glory, and I wasn't disappointed, looks great. Even managed to beat him. I've been enjoying this just as much as Final, if not more, since stages have less fluff. I'm used to Stage 3.0 by now, only thing I care is if the gameplay works, and it does.

I can imagine that R-type's gameplay is just too old school for modern gamers, it's so unforgiving, even the easiest level can slam your ass. You are totally expected to memorize the levels and the attacks and it won't cut you any slack. So I'd imagine some reviewers would roast it. But to call these features as faults within the game is just to ignore what R-type should be.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

MJR wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:Easiest way is usually shoot it a few times before the battle so it starts swinging back and forth, then when it swings mostly to the left, go all the way to the bottom and shoot your force to the right side of the screen, then move back to the top of the screen and recall your force and it'll just jam into the weak spot so no matter whether you or your force is hitting it, you'll do a lot of damage, even if it turns around the weak spot. Works way better with a force that homes in on enemies, but still works with any force, really.
Thanks for this!
While I have mostly played on practice so far, just to get the feel on the stages, I did try the R-typer to see Dobkeratops in it's full glory, and I wasn't disappointed, looks great. Even managed to beat him. I've been enjoying this just as much as Final, if not more, since stages have less fluff. I'm used to Stage 3.0 by now, only thing I care is if the gameplay works, and it does.

I can imagine that R-type's gameplay is just too old school for modern gamers, it's so unforgiving, even the easiest level can slam your ass. You are totally expected to memorize the levels and the attacks and it won't cut you any slack. So I'd imagine some reviewers would roast it. But to call these features as faults within the game is just to ignore what R-type should be.
Sorry, this was actually for stage 4.0 boss.

For 3.0 boss, you can kill it in 1 cycle just by hovering right above the weak spot before it shoots the lasers for the first time, and diving right in once you have enough space to go down, shoot the force right into it and just fire until it closes, then back up all the way to the upper left of the screen to dodge the bullets, then go right back down in and repeat the attack. With most ships, it'll die after those two point blank force/shot combos.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Leave it outsiders sitting in their armchairs to talk about Kickstarters and showing they only know how to make reductionist arguments. For every "bad" Kickstarter, you have equal amounts of great ones and of course the dreaded MIA ones like Unsung Story (Project Phoenix) which are rare but happens. Risk of Rain 2 is one of my favorite modern games and that sequel wouldn't have happened without the 1st being crowdfunded.

The funny thing about people complaining about 3D models vs sprites....well start supporting more sprite based games to prove the demand. I bought KoF 13 twice and spread the gospel but that game almost tanked SNK again but now all you see is crying about the graphics of 15 being ugly even though we know if it was sprite based again like 13, people would cry foul on asset reuse (took 6 months of work for one character). You can't have it every which way. That isn't reality.

I feel like Owen Wilson in Idiocracy when it comes to talking about this stuff. People don't know the difference between context and semantics.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I think the stage 3 boss is probably one of the easiest in the game. Very easy to read, and even with the Arrowhead it only takes 2-3 full charge + force punch combos to destroy it.

I'm still trying to work out a reliable strategy for the fourth boss. The first time I got there I had the force pod on the other side by accident, and the boss went down really quickly. However, I haven't been able to replicate that since. Often the force gets stuck in places where it can't hurt the boss, and sometimes it somehow manages to pass through the rope the boss is hanging on and get back to me on the left side.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Herr Schatten wrote:I'm still trying to work out a reliable strategy for the fourth boss. The first time I got there I had the force pod on the other side by accident, and the boss went down really quickly. However, I haven't been able to replicate that since. Often the force gets stuck in places where it can't hurt the boss, and sometimes it somehow manages to pass through the rope the boss is hanging on and get back to me on the left side.
Unless you have the homing force, it's harder to pull off correctly, but it can still be done. It might end up taking a bit longer, but can usually be done fairly quickly if you use the method I just described above.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Steven

Post by Steven »

Herr Schatten wrote:I'm still trying to work out a reliable strategy for the fourth boss. The first time I got there I had the force pod on the other side by accident, and the boss went down really quickly. However, I haven't been able to replicate that since. Often the force gets stuck in places where it can't hurt the boss, and sometimes it somehow manages to pass through the rope the boss is hanging on and get back to me on the left side.
Try Sweet Luna's Wave Cannon. You can hit it from anywhere as long as the place you need to hit is in the reticle. I find it also makes the stage itself quite easy, as you can kill the things that pop out of the ground/ceiling easily with it, as well.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

If you really want to cheese Stage 4 then R-9S works well. the gimmick of the stage and boss boss is eliminated as you can fire through walls with the lv2 charge shot.

About roasting the game and whatnot.. this game feels like its in a time capsule from when Final came out. Nothing in game mechanics or has changed. So if it wanted to outdo older games it needs to outdo them purely in level design and presentation which is a tall order. I never played Delta much so don't mind the mechanics being basically the same.

A lot of games have come out since final 1 and standards should be higher for some things, but r-type has a distinct style and people like the oldschool feeling. I think it'd be different if you had an unfinished cave-shooter released with no new mechanics and questionable stages. People would easily compare that to Crimzon Clover or older titles etc.
Last edited by Zaarock on Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

... Or use Leo ship charged beams with the bits equiped.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thanks for the hints, guys, but I'm adamant on refusing to use any other ship before I have cleared at least one path with the standard R-9A Arrowhead. I'm aware that it makes most stages unnecessarily challenging, as they seem to have been balanced around the stronger ships this time, but it's also very satisfying if you work out a safe route through a level.

At the stage 4 boss I seem to have most success by attaching the force to the rear and dealing as much damage as possible before the fight even starts, the returning to the left side once the vulnerable spot turns and rapid fire at it to keep it pinned in the rightmost swing.
lordnikon

Post by lordnikon »

Herr Schatten wrote:
lordnikon wrote:the 2nd stage boss has a safe spot (at least on Normal) where you can just camp out the fight.
Where? I keep hearing about this, but I don't think there's one that works with all ship configurations. At least I have yet to find a safe spot that works with the Arrowhead. There are 2-3 spots where you're fairly safe for some time, but if you really try to camp there to time out the boss, a stray seed or sprouting tentacle will eventually hit you. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

In fact, ridiculously, the stage 2 boss is one of my major obstacles while working towards the single ship clear with the R-9A due to its randomness, even though I can no-miss stages 3 and 4 quite consistently.
Here is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNy4uokOs3I
"Nature is amazing when you're a kid.
You have fish in the rivers and oceans, and wild plants in the mountains.
There's food to be found everywhere.
That's how we enjoyed nature.

But we've lost it all." -Naoto Matsumura
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

@ Schatten:

[With Arrowhead] Attack from the right with lasers + grinding until the weak spot switches sides. You're safe from the rockets in the top corners of the screen, the only thing you need to worry about is whether there's a blue ball directly beneath you. When you switch to the left side, just blast away. I find that when the weak spot switches back to the right it will switch back left after only a few seconds so it's not worth changing sides again. The fight will be over very quickly.

To make it even easier, keep the red laser. For the section with the rear facing turrets and swinging obstacles it is possible to scrape the lower turrets with the red laser with proper positioning and dodge past the upper ones. Or just bomb past this section, you can almost completely refill your dose by grinding away the pink wall before the boss, even on normal.

Arrowhead doesn't have the fire rate to take down enemy projectiles consistently. I haven't been able to get safespots to work, certainly not on 6.2 anyway.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Herr Schatten wrote:Thanks for the hints, guys, but I'm adamant on refusing to use any other ship before I have cleared at least one path with the standard R-9A Arrowhead. I'm aware that it makes most stages unnecessarily challenging, as they seem to have been balanced around the stronger ships this time, but it's also very satisfying if you work out a safe route through a level.

At the stage 4 boss I seem to have most success by attaching the force to the rear and dealing as much damage as possible before the fight even starts, the returning to the left side once the vulnerable spot turns and rapid fire at it to keep it pinned in the rightmost swing.
Stage 5 boss can get much worse than the Stage 2 one unfortunately (might depend on difficulty). I actually found the st2 boss pretty fun once I understood how the patterns work. It's basically the only fast paced fight in the game with bullet dodging and attacking on the fly instead of fully memorized (pretty flexible & fast fight with leo2 on highest difficulties).

MQ7145 has some good videos on R-9A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJt-JVKCNnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kywMTVyOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcPsgL25Zls

But I can't recommend subjecting yourself to fighting st5 boss with the thing on rtyper3. That fight will be a hundred times harder than the rest of the game and the only thing messing with consistency. Weakish ships can deal with it if they happen to have a decent force but pretty sure Standard Force won't cut it.

About the 6.2 safespot it's really not necessary if playing Leo2 with bits on. Bit attack into point blank blue lasers kills the core before it can shoot a single red laser. I kinda regret timing it out in my previous runs being sure of that now.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Been playing this Rtype Final 2 since it came out a few weeks ago and it's holding my interest... mostly.

It seems wildly unbalanced; at points it's very good, just what I'm looking for in an Rtype game- the stages 4 and 5 are good fun- but there's a lot of really sparse bits too.

The level 7.1 - the one with the massive 3d battleships is for me a complete mess- lost my lives a few times here and there trying to work out what exactly was hitting my ship- it wasn't obvious at all.

That third level is ok- not that exciting or imaginative is it?

All in all the game is ok - if it wasn't for unlocking ships I'd probably have stopped playing by now, so I suppose that's the hook.

Can't help but think that there's been a lot of missed opportunities- a severe lack of interesting Bydo enemies- for me it all seems very sparse. Whole areas where there is just nothing happening- after playing the same levels through and through the tension does wane.

What happened to different variations on the same level?- likes of Rtype Final- level 2- about 5 iterations on the same level- that added interest.

I've been playing Rtype since 1986 when it first came out- pumped a lot of 10ps into both Rtype 1 and 2. Enjoyed Rtype 3 and Delta. I found Rtype Final to be quite epic and atmospheric on occasions, it was a worthy Rtype.

This one is ok, I'll play it through- it's Rtype by numbers in my opinion.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Herr Schatten wrote:Thanks for the hints, guys, but I'm adamant on refusing to use any other ship before I have cleared at least one path with the standard R-9A Arrowhead.
Kudos to you for stickin' to the standard ship to try and prove the game is doable with it. Would be nice to think the game is balanced to be doable with every ship but with such a massive roster it's likely hard not to balance around some of the higher tier ships.
qmish

Post by qmish »

What i hate so much with stage 3 boss, it's me dying from.... accidentally touching him when going close to weak spot!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Not quite a tip for the stage 4 boss per se, but take the bottom route just before it (the one with the living wall) and strafe up and down to fill up your dose metre, hopefully youll at least have a delta attack to use during the fight.

Stage 7.1 does have some confusing geometry in sofar asthere were places that looked like i would collide with the battleships if i did not move and also right at the end its not quite made clear that the turrets in the background can shoot and kill you either, rather than just being a nice effect.

Ive died more times to the stage 3 boss becaise of similar issues rather than being shot, the camera is at an odd angle where it makes it difficult to judge your ships distance from the boss and i have collided into it while trying to hide under the lasers.

Ive managed to get every entry in the data log now and i dont feel that i should have done that already.

Does anyone know where i can find the R9-WF in the tree? It seems its necessary to continue unlocking the Adromalius path in the museum and ive found i quite like the ship and its force.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

NA PS4 codes were posted today. Just deleted 53 ships and 21 hours of progress so I could reinstall the digital deluxe copy and enjoy the dlc levels. (was playing JP) Still nothing for Europeans though!
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:Thanks for the hints, guys, but I'm adamant on refusing to use any other ship before I have cleared at least one path with the standard R-9A Arrowhead.
Kudos to you for stickin' to the standard ship to try and prove the game is doable with it. Would be nice to think the game is balanced to be doable with every ship but with such a massive roster it's likely hard not to balance around some of the higher tier ships.
These ships are starting to seem really balanced so far, I underestimated the Arrowhead. 2.0 boss with Cerberos is a nightmare. The claw attack is no longer a reliable way to deal damage or build dose. Albatross' weapons seem weaker, forcing you to rely on the wave cannon and the pod's homing ability. You really do have to play differently.

Some force pods have no forward shots when detached and wont damage Ebon Eye if you fire the pod inside.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
zakk

Post by zakk »

lordnikon wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:
lordnikon wrote:the 2nd stage boss has a safe spot (at least on Normal) where you can just camp out the fight.
Where? I keep hearing about this, but I don't think there's one that works with all ship configurations. At least I have yet to find a safe spot that works with the Arrowhead. There are 2-3 spots where you're fairly safe for some time, but if you really try to camp there to time out the boss, a stray seed or sprouting tentacle will eventually hit you. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

In fact, ridiculously, the stage 2 boss is one of my major obstacles while working towards the single ship clear with the R-9A due to its randomness, even though I can no-miss stages 3 and 4 quite consistently.
Here is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNy4uokOs3I
Not a consistent safe spot. Might be a bit _more_ consistent at lower difficulties but even on normal you might get hit by the shots from the boxes.
It's also more/less consistent depending on ship type/configuration. I'm not sure anyone has found a consistent safe spot or strategy on that boss.
Everyone just seems to pick a 'safer' spot and hope the RNG doesn't kill you.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Leader Bee wrote:Does anyone know where i can find the R9-WF in the tree? It seems its necessary to continue unlocking the Adromalius path in the museum and ive found i quite like the ship and its force.
It’s #22 Sweet Memories according to this and this.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Finally got my reward code for PS4 Digital deluxe edition :) (EU codes now posted)
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Zaarock wrote:Stage 5 boss can get much worse than the Stage 2 one unfortunately (might depend on difficulty). [...] But I can't recommend subjecting yourself to fighting st5 boss with the thing on rtyper3. That fight will be a hundred times harder than the rest of the game and the only thing messing with consistency. Weakish ships can deal with it if they happen to have a decent force but pretty sure Standard Force won't cut it.
You're not kidding. Stage 5 is the one I'm working on now, and while I got okay through the rest of the stage, I had to blow 30+ credits on the last checkpoint before I finally managed to take down the boss and get 5.0 into stage select.

If you arrive there with a powered up force and pick the red weapon, it's alright, but if you start from the checkpoint and only have a level 2 force, only leaving it detached gives you a little chance of controlling the smaller fish, as the firing rate is too slow otherwise. I have yet to arrive there with a full dose, so I don't know if bombing the thing would work.

Bombing at the really busy spot in stage 4 has made my life much easier, and it's nice of the game that it lets you rebuild your dose right after.

Stage 2 boss depends much on the weapon. If I manage to keep the red laser I picked up in stage 1 right before Dobbie, the fight is over quickly, but if I accidentally pick up another weapon, it's unpredictable how the fight will go.

I get the impression that they really tried to make the different ships significantly differently this time, forcing you to change strategies considerably. I don't remember this quite as much from Final 1.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Has anyone else not gotten their backer copy yet? I'm starting to be at a loss as to what my options are other than bugging their support all the time.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

EmperorIng wrote:Has anyone else not gotten their backer copy yet? I'm starting to be at a loss as to what my options are other than bugging their support all the time.
I've had my download code finally today but I also have a physical copy that has yet to appear, so you are not the only one. Uk by the way.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

In the uk got my digital copy but im being held hostage by the wife . I will have to download it in the morning cant wait.

The wait for the game has been horrible cant wait to play as my boys the delta ships.
Arms installation complete Good luck
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the Xbox Series S console, R-Type Final 2 now runs at a silky smooth "arcade-spec" 60fps framerate from the get-go with the latest update at v1.0.2. It's a mere 700.8mb d/l -- sure looks & plays a lot better than with the original 30fps framerate issue to contend with when using an XSS console setup (with the older initial v1.0.1 update) indeed. Granzella truly delivered this time around in spades. Wow!

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hm, I wonder if the patch improves the performance on the One X. Will try it and report back.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but you can predict the path of the stage 2.0 bosses based on their color. Red = counterclockwise (will head for top path out of the right-side hatch), white = clockwise (will head for bottom out of the hatch)

They do love to switch colors/paths on the fly, or just stall entirely (at least on R-Typer) so watch out for that.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Pledge ¥11,000 or more
PHYSICAL COPY + SPECIAL GOODS

That was my Kickstarter pledge- does that get me any downloadable content - so far nothing has arrived online.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Zach Keene wrote:Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but you can predict the path of the stage 2.0 bosses based on their color. Red = counterclockwise (will head for top path out of the right-side hatch), white = clockwise (will head for bottom out of the hatch)

They do love to switch colors/paths on the fly, or just stall entirely (at least on R-Typer) so watch out for that.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Is there a similar hint system in place that makes it possible to predict the movement of the stage 5 boss? Or can you maybe lead it in sone way or another?
MJR

Post by MJR »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Zach Keene wrote:Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but you can predict the path of the stage 2.0 bosses based on their color. Red = counterclockwise (will head for top path out of the right-side hatch), white = clockwise (will head for bottom out of the hatch)

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Is there a similar hint system in place that makes it possible to predict the movement of the stage 5 boss? Or can you maybe lead it in sone way or another?
I felt it was just the classic get-away-from-line-of-fire pattern, meaning that you have to bait it and launch the force from time to time in the middle of the swarm.