R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Angry Hina

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Angry Hina »

It was long but it had a bit more variaty, I think.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Too many dead/cinematic moments that get old really fast. An arcade/replayable game shouldn't have those, or at least make them completely skippable!
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
malc
Site Admin

Post by malc »

SPM wrote:@malc: To be fair, it's hard to compare games based on just the first stage. And in any case, doing so puts the first Final at the very bottom! What a long and boring first stage it had!
It's quite funny how there were games which had utterly bollock blastingly brilliant first stages years ago and we still can't get that right.

Contra III, 1992, just as an example off the top of my head.

If I was putting out a demo, would I put out a boring first stage? Does not inspire confidence, that.

Yes actually, thinking about it, Rtype Delta would be something I would be doing a sequel to, if I was to ape something.
Wooph

Post by Wooph »

I'm still baffled by the decision to revive R-type by making a sequel to Final. Was it that fondly remembered compared to Delta, or any of the other games? Was having tons of ships to play with that great of a feature? Were the somber, ambient tunes that enjoyable?

Still looking forward to its release, but I'm not expecting anything great. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Wooph wrote:I'm still baffled by the decision to revive R-type by making a sequel to Final. Was it that fondly remembered compared to Delta, or any of the other games? Was having tons of ships to play with that great of a feature? Were the somber, ambient tunes that enjoyable?

Still looking forward to its release, but I'm not expecting anything great. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
I would prefer a game more in line with Delta than Final, but I'm seeing a lot of improvements here over the original Final.

The first stage is much better than Final 1's first stage. I think space ship Gran Turismo can be a cool feature if it doesn't come at the expense of stage design, music, etc... My only complaint with the Final 2 demo is that the music is too quiet and not that memorable. Previous R-Type games had rippin' soundtracks, and that's pretty much a requirement to get into the elite shmup category.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

A trophy list for the game has appeared for those that are interested. The link won't reveal hidden trophies unless you deliberately click a second link within the article (up to you if you want to spoil yourself a little).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.truetr ... t-revealed
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Got an email from NIS saying they're billing customers tomorrow. Make sure there's enough in you account/card balance to cover it. Finally getting released on the 30th though, it's close.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

I got very curious with the game's files and did some digging and managed to pull out almost all of the music, sound effects, and voice clips in the demo so far. It is definitely interesting to me to see how the game will be utilizing some of these voice clips (some of them relating to Backer Rewards) and some of the music present in the files but not used in-game make me wonder how the game's stage progression will go. At first I was disappointed with sounds like the DOSE sound effects not sounding quite like they did from R-Type Delta and Final (I thought those sounds were iconic) but it turned out that on a closer listen they are relatively close.

That being said I'm very excited for the game's release.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Famitsu gave this a 31. Not great, not bad either.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Got an email from NIS saying they're billing customers tomorrow. Make sure there's enough in you account/card balance to cover it. Finally getting released on the 30th though, it's close.
They just billed me for the digital version I pre-ordered for Series X, so I guess this is actually happening now. Just another week.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I have this premonition kickstarter backers will get their copies after everyone else... I can just feel it. :?

Especially since I've gotten no emails whatsoever from kickstarter or team for months.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

They sent out two emails this month. One on the 2nd and the other on the 16th.
All physical reward items will be delivered in a special "Team R-Type Final 2" box. We will send you a download code by email if you have pledged for any digital rewards.

The reward items' delivery is scheduled for the game's release date (29th April 2021). Please note there may be a delay depending on shipping conditions and your location.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

EmperorIng wrote:I have this premonition kickstarter backers will get their copies after everyone else... I can just feel it. :?

Especially since I've gotten no emails whatsoever from kickstarter or team for months.
Same here. Worrying that other people are receiving them and not us, that's what I get for using paypal instead of kickstarter. Oh well, I pledged for a digital copy - I've seen placeholder copies in the local game store so planning to double dip for physical copy anyway. It's R-Type.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

It's getting closer:
Hello valued customer!

Thank you for being patient with us during our preorder process. We are happy to let you know that your payment for your preorder has been successfully received!

Your order will now be processed to be shipped out. Once your order is on its way, you will receive a notification with the tracking number.

Please note that your order will remain in “Pending Fulfillment” status until after your order is shipped.

We appreciate your support, and look forward to getting your order to you soon. Until next time, have a great day!

Best wishes,

NISA Online Store
NIS America, Inc.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

EmperorIng wrote:I have this premonition kickstarter backers will get their copies after everyone else... I can just feel it. :?
I got a message from FedEx yesterday that a package from Granzella will be delivered on the coming Monday. So even if it gets a bit delayed it should still be here on time for the official release date, best case scenario it'll be here a few days before that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Ghegs wrote:
I got a message from FedEx yesterday that a package from Granzella will be delivered on the coming Monday. So even if it gets a bit delayed it should still be here on time for the official release date, best case scenario it'll be here a few days before that.
What tier did you back? Someone on reddit already posted their disc only Switch version.

I backed the PS4 art book and OST version, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

prophetic wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
What tier did you back? Someone on reddit already posted their disc only Switch version.

Physical copy (Switch) + special goods, so CD and artbook included.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

prophetic wrote:
Ghegs wrote:

I just found in my junk email a request from Granzella to enter my phone number into the Team R-Type website, since they apparently can't send the stuff till the have it. Might be worth checking your spam too.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Samildanach wrote: I just found in my junk email a request from Granzella to enter my phone number into the Team R-Type website, since they apparently can't send the stuff till the have it. Might be worth checking your spam too.
I haven't gotten a Team R-Type email since 2019, spam or otherwise. Kinda worried now.

Edit: I just checked Team R-Type website, and my phone number is already there. Guess I'll just keep waiting...
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

So I got my backer copy in today and finished one playthrough after 4 hours or so. I really enjoyed my time with it and there are quite a few things that I found surprising or at least interesting. I'll be as spoiler free with my impressions as and leave the spoilers to the full stream of my playthrough below.

Pros:
+ The visuals are great but there are times where it can be a bit overbearing but for the most part its nothing that kept me from being able to play well.
+ Music is a step up from Final and a lot better at hitting those moments of ambience with hard rhythmic parts.
+ Ton of ships but some are password locked either by Backer Passwords or special events where they are given out like back in the day I'd assume. We'll need to get together for this one. I have tried some JP and EN passwords from Final but none worked.
+ 7 stages per playthrough and once you finish the stage you have access to it via stage select.
+ 3 unlockable difficulties (R-Typer 1/2/3)
+ Difficulty chosen changes layout/route through levels. Not just more enemies, bullets and health values. Not sure if there is dynamic ranking at play but enemy placement does change whether you are arriving at certain section via checkpoint or by just playing.
+ There are definitely stage secrets and alternate routes to take but this will require discussion and experimenting.
+ Ship grind so far is based around resource collecting, playing certain levels or building certain ships. No time played with x ship grind in sight yet.
+ Trophy list has the Homage DLC Pack 1 trophies and it mentions "OPERATION CODE" - Third Lightning and "Eden Paradox" - Leo so those are your throwback stages that were chosen.
+ If ships are your thing, this game has support for up to 99 ships however....

Cons:
- Its a very unforgiving game when you screw up. Some brutal checkpointing here where its extremely difficult to make recoveries.
- It's hard to tell what surfaces can and can't kill you but I'm sure this will take time.
- The shop lets you use credits to purchase stuff like decals and avatar suits but also resources to build ships. However these resources are one times purchases and they never restock under any circumstances thus far but I'm still experimenting.
- The version I received as a backer ended up being a Japanese copy. This may or may not be an issue in the future with regards to DLC as I've heard that backers get the Homage DLC Packs for free. (I was never asked for which region I wanted and the original Kickstarter pledge said it would be defaulted to whatever region your address is in).
- I find the last bit unfortunate because I feel like now I need to get a US copy to access the DLC.
- Some ships are outright locked off by passwords. It's unclear what the format is (Final 1 used the xxxx-xxxx 8 numbers only format with no letters) and if they are different from region to region (platform to platform). I'm pretty sure some are backer only ships so if you're a stickler for "complete edition 5 five years from now or no buy", you're SOL on unlocking everything but hopefully the PC release can provide some clues on how to unlock stuff. It's not a big deal but if really bothers you, the PC version might be a better option to consider (hex editing).

I definitely plan on playing more. I'm wholly satisfied that feel that this easily sits above Final and comfortably behind or alongside Delta. If you don't like R-Type games, this won't change your mind so save your shit talk and move on lol. For fans of the series and especially those who found Final a bit underwhelming, I think you'll definitely like this game. There is even good lore nuggets for you Tactics fans as well.

Link to full PS4 JP version playthrough + Look at gallery/museum/shop at the end:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RvYUpOKms&t=120s
Last edited by ZaKa-tokyobassist on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thanks for the impressions! Very detailed.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Oh man, I'm so jealous.

Can't wait for this one. I'm something of an R-Type super fan, I can't believe only a week away now.

Any songs on the OST worth listening to outside of the game? Also the stage select sounds wonderful for learning those R-Type puzzles. How's this one rank in difficulty? Four hours to grind through a checkpoint clear seems kinda fast? Hopefully I can bang my head against ingeniously designed stage layouts for a long time lol. For all we know it might take another 20 years to get a sequel.

IMO, the quality gap between Delta and Final was massive, is this one more on the arcade side like Delta or more consolized like Final?
ZaKa-tokyobassist

To Far Away Times wrote:Oh man, I'm so jealous.

Can't wait for this one. I'm something of an R-Type super fan, I can't believe only a week away now.

Any songs on the OST worth listening to outside of the game? Also the stage select sounds wonderful for learning those R-Type puzzles. How's this one rank in difficulty? Four hours to grind through a checkpoint clear seems kinda fast? Hopefully I can bang my head against ingeniously designed stage layouts for a long time lol. For all we know it might take another 20 years to get a sequel.

IMO, the quality gap between Delta and Final was massive, is this one more on the arcade side like Delta or more consolized like Final?
Yeah the OST is fire imo. Stage 4 and Stage 7.0 in particular was really dope. The difficulty is a variable topic here because you have to consider difficulty levels which in turn affects the layout/path you take through levels/possibly bosses + what ship you use...basically the difficulty is customizable and there is plenty to chew on here for years to come. Don't forget there are 3 tiers of R-Typer above the regular one plus hard ass trophy list if you're into that.

It is very much consolized but nothing like Ginga Force where the grind actually kinda sucked and was required. The pace of levels and their designs remind me of Delta but overall the game feels like a revision of Final 2 and made better for it. I would be happy if this was the actual Curtain Call for R-Type.
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Great write-up of the game ZaKa-tokyobassist. I've not had my backer copy yet, but it is concerning regarding the region and dlc issue. Has there ever been a time when dlc works with the base game when they are from different regions?

I'm glad I funded it, as we probably wouldn't be getting this high a budget game without the very successful crowdfunding. But it is frustrating to be seemingly getting a less than ideal result compared to those who can buy it now.

Maybe I will put more cash down and buy the Nis LE version. Ha! In your face Granzella. Who's the winner now eh?
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Samildanach wrote:Great write-up of the game ZaKa-tokyobassist. I've not had my backer copy yet, but it is concerning regarding the region and dlc issue. Has there ever been a time when dlc works with the base game when they are from different regions?

I'm glad I funded it, as we probably wouldn't be getting this high a budget game without the very successful crowdfunding. But it is frustrating to be seemingly getting a less than ideal result compared to those who can buy it now.

Maybe I will put more cash down and buy the Nis LE version. Ha! In your face Granzella. Who's the winner now eh?
From my personal experience, DLC has always been region locked. I too might get myself the US copy for future DLCs just in case I end up not getting codes set to me.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

In case people weren't aware..

DLC is region locked on Playstation 4/5 and Switch but universal on Xbox.

Great to hear the game is being well received, If they want to send out the kickstarter codes already that'd be nice.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks for the review ZaKa, actually feeling pretty hyped about this now. :smile:
SPM

Post by SPM »

Thanks for that feedback! Looking good!
Astro City II wrote:In case people weren't aware..

DLC is region locked on Playstation 4/5 and Switch but universal on Xbox.

Great to hear the game is being well received, If they want to send out the kickstarter codes already that'd be nice.
I thought that wasn't the case with the Switch. Heard people getting base game and DLCs in different regions.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

SPM wrote:
I thought that wasn't the case with the Switch. Heard people getting base game and DLCs in different regions.
It's a little messy.

The system itself and the games are not region locked. But each profile on your switch can only be associated with one region app store.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Great stream, thanks for sharing! Interesting how much stuff glimpsed in the trailer doesn't seem to appear in your playthrough.
Spoiler
Granzella channel has footage of Dobs out of the ice and snippets of the DLC levels!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]