R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Axelay

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Axelay »

Has anyone recevied any messages about the kickstarter backers or is it a case of waiting until late april ?

I backed it ages ago do i get it early ? Or
is it the same for everyone else ?

Went with just a digital copy.

I loved the first stage of delta but really wanted it to be the second stage !

My body is not ready.
Arms installation complete Good luck
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Very pleased with the demo, like night and day compared with the original Final. The presentation is so good. The full charge on the Andromalius is perfection. "Look at that fucking gun!"

I noticed the Dose meter off to the side. Pardon my ignorance as I didn't stick with the first Final long enough to explore its mechanics beyond ship unlocking. Is this meter just a multiplier, or does it somehow feed and strengthen the pod?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

ExitPlanetDust wrote:I noticed the Dose meter off to the side. Pardon my ignorance as I didn't stick with the first Final long enough to explore its mechanics beyond ship unlocking. Is this meter just a multiplier, or does it somehow feed and strengthen the pod?
It's like a smart bomb. You need to feed the force enemies and bullets by crashing the pod into them to fill up the dose meter, then you can unleash it once it's full.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Herr Schatten wrote:
ExitPlanetDust wrote:I noticed the Dose meter off to the side. Pardon my ignorance as I didn't stick with the first Final long enough to explore its mechanics beyond ship unlocking. Is this meter just a multiplier, or does it somehow feed and strengthen the pod?
It's like a smart bomb. You need to feed the force enemies and bullets by crashing the pod into them to fill up the dose meter, then you can unleash it once it's full.
Haha oh shit, watch me go. Thanks!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
Special World wrote:If you’re talking about the ship i think you’re talking about, I was able to destroy it. I think it came onscreen after blowing up the big box with all the alien type bydo coming out the top and bottom?
How'd you get it to come on-screen? I've tried killing the carrier craft fast, I've tried letting it live, but the infected ship just stays in the background like a creepy stalker. I was hoping it'd be a hidden, 7th playable ship in the demo.
I got it to appear by choosing Bydo difficulty. Sometimes it's just lurking back there, sometimes I don't think it appears at all. It seems to be difficulty based.
Ah, right you are, I had only played on the normal difficulty. With Bydo it seems to come out to play every time.

It doesn't seem to unlock as a playable ship (tried destroying it, letting it live, and ramming into it), but I'm not 100% convinced yet there isn't a 7th ship in the demo. If you look at the R Museum, for #40 it reads "This craft requires technology currently being researched by the Granzella Laboratory. Thank you for your patience and please wait for the version that will allow development of this craft." but the other seven empty places just read "This craft is not available in the demo." #40 is unique here, every other ship is either available, developable, or plainly stated to not be available in the demo.

I thought #37 Midnight Eye might be required to unlock it, since that one is higher in the same tech tree and its cannon description reads "Main function is data collection. The longer the enemy remains in the target scope, the greater amount of data is collected." so I tried letting the infected ship live while keeping a charged-up cannon pointing at it as long as it's on-screen, and while it does sort of look like the enemy is being scanned, nothing happened.

Or maybe #40's description is just literal and there will be a new/patched demo with the ship added in? Or it's all just a ruse.

In any case, this lead me to playing the demo a few times more and it's pacing really reminds me of the very first game's first stage, think I've played it a ten or so times now. And the overall play time is still shorter than Final's first stage, heyooo
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Ghegs wrote:Or maybe #40's description is just literal and there will be a new/patched demo with the ship added in? Or it's all just a ruse.
This is what i was thinking. maybe this will be the difference between the public demo and the "backer demo" they've kept promising is still coming even though the game is out in 4 weeks.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

IIRC there's no plans to have all 99 ships at launch, even though the tree is there. Sounds like placeholder text for the empty slots that might get developed eventually. I'm more interested in the new levels or maybe some original ships
Spoiler
and of course the inevitable crossover ships like in DBCS.
PS - Buy the toys!
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

I haven't checked the Kickstarter page in a while, Did they promise a certain amount of ships in the final retail version?

If they're planning on selling the homage stages as paid dlc then there's bound to be some paid dlc ship packs eventually too. Bit annoying but expected in this day and age.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Liked this a lot. Controls and collision feel tight, nomming up Dose feels as good as it does in Delta. And while the stage isn't as action-packed or varied as Delta's - I can replay that one for PBs all day - it's well within the better games' orbit. Reminds me of Pulstar's first, aesthetic-wise. Cleared Bydo with the top three ships, seems I was too tired/inebriated to spot the other three. I did wonder about that creepy ship puttering in from the left!

Already down for the full game but it's nice to know the fundamentals are sound. Was on base PS4, seemed to run fine.

(It hit me just now, Delta holds back its standard-issue floor n' ceiling sidescroller, all the way until the sixth stage - the first and third rove all over the place, the second and fourth are heavily vertical, and the fifth is open space menaced by lethal debris - at which point it can go balls-out with bouncing zako hordes, monstrous crawling middleweights, and an infamous flying dong, with a hellish bio-horror aesthetic to match. even caps off with Dobie. hoping to see some more of that stage designer joie de vivre from Kujo and company)

DEMO SKIP option = excellent. I appreciate the effort they put into the cinema, and it's actually pretty cute, but as a rule, this is something I like to have. Any arcade-styled game's cinemas get old pretty fast.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Yeah this is the real deal. AAA for the shmup sphere. Already can tell it’s gonna sit up there with the modern classics. Hopefully, if it does well we can see more similarly high production quality releases.

Getting this on PS4/5 for maximum sensory overload and Switch so I can nonchalantly pick up n play. Hopefully gets updated to take advantage of PS5 features like DualSense. Frame rate on Switch is targeted 60 but hangs around what seems like 30-50 FPS 70% of the time. Here, the frame pacing and copious amounts of eye/ear candy make it surprisingly playable for me. I enjoy handhelds more than tv gaming so I can compromise just to have this in that format. This is one case where the total price for double dipping day one is equivalent to my perceived value of what’s on offer.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Why is this taking so long to release to the west... especially kickstarter backers!
Sly Cherry Chunks

What format? AFAIK it's available everywhere in the west on Switch and PS4.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:What format? AFAIK it's available everywhere in the west on Switch and PS4.
And Xbox. It's got a native Series X version according to the marketplace page so will probably be the best console release.

CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Fingers crossed the Series X version supports 4K 120fps. I know it’s not a twitch shooter but low latency never goes amiss.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Local games store had some placeholder copies of this in it's 'coming soon' section. Was reading the back of the box which describes something mentioned in the original kickstarter and on the homepage but that hasn't been discussed since - the adaptive difficulty. Stages will change based on performance. I wonder what this will mean? - beyond triggering that bydo fighter to come out. Will Dobkeratops bust outa the ice?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Local games store had some placeholder copies of this in it's 'coming soon' section. Was reading the back of the box which describes something mentioned in the original kickstarter and on the homepage but that hasn't been discussed since - the adaptive difficulty. Stages will change based on performance. I wonder what this will mean? - beyond triggering that bydo fighter to come out. Will Dobkeratops bust outa the ice?
I am hoping there will be quite drastic changes to the levels, in the same manner as Stage 2 of Final. Imagine if the level becomes less frozen and more Bydo infested; those odd floating 'fridges' could open up expelling Bydo horror out, and certainly the boss seems ripe for a more active form.
heli

Post by heli »

R-Type Final 2 - Inaugural Flight Edition
I think i will wait for the final edition with all DLC.
Not buying for now, let me know how bad it is with DLC pay content please.
I dont pay anything for internet software assigned to one user in one computer.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Played the demo on Switch, not overly impressed

* The way the background moves is giving me motion sickness
* Collision detection is well off, have died a few times to a bullet that didn't touch me
* Fairly pedestrian stage with some cheap tricks. Ate laser from the 2nd robot first time around then never again
* Dreadful music
* I know it's stage 1 but the boss was simple and uninteresting to face
* Could have used a second, more challenging stage

Quite like the artistic direction though. Boss encased in ice, funky lobster things.

Need that camera gone if I'm to buy it though, regardless of other improvements.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the Xbox Series X/S consoles, it'll be a 5.26gb d/l at best with a 4-30-21 10:00am PST release (as listed on the USA region Microsoft Store site).

Will surely require a proper XSX or XSS arcade stick indeed -- perhaps the Hori Fighting Stick Alpha will suffice as it's currently the only dedicated XSX/S arcade stick available as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Austin

Post by Austin »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:On the Xbox Series X/S consoles, it'll be a 5.26gb d/l at best with a 4-30-21 10:00am PST release (as listed on the USA region Microsoft Store site).

Will surely require a proper XSX or XSS arcade stick indeed -- perhaps the Hori Fighting Stick Alpha will suffice as it's currently the only dedicated XSX/S arcade stick available as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Why would it require a S/X dedicated stick? Xbox One accessories carry forward.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Austin wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:On the Xbox Series X/S consoles, it'll be a 5.26gb d/l at best with a 4-30-21 10:00am PST release (as listed on the USA region Microsoft Store site).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Why would it require a S/X dedicated stick? Xbox One accessories carry forward.
Correct, controllers do carry forward across the board, for all games, unlike PS5, on which PS4 controllers can only be used to play PS4 back compat games.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I can already tell I am going to hate controlling this game with the awful Switch pro controller! Agh, why did nintendo have to make one of the worst d-pads in their entire history, bar the fucking GC pad?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Keep trying for a Metal Black style duel by unleashing a full dose blast just as the boss does the red laser attack. Saw some VFX dancing on the boss and camera zoomed in, but not sure if there’s actually an interaction...
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

EmperorIng wrote:I can already tell I am going to hate controlling this game with the awful Switch pro controller! Agh, why did nintendo have to make one of the worst d-pads in their entire history, bar the fucking GC pad?
Spend the $25 on a Retro-Bit Saturn pad. You won't regret it for a second.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^^^

Seriously worth it. That or the Megadrive/Genesis pad and you're good to go with one of the best d-pads you can get on the system, and proven low latency.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I can already tell I am going to hate controlling this game with the awful Switch pro controller! Agh, why did nintendo have to make one of the worst d-pads in their entire history, bar the fucking GC pad?
I got the wireless one for my Saturn, but I hadn't thought to use it for my Switch yet. Here's to hoping!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

EmperorIng wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
I got the wireless one for my Saturn, but I hadn't thought to use it for my Switch yet. Here's to hoping!
I believe you'll need a dedicated one for the Switch. The Switch one works with Switch/Steam/PC/Mac/Android, whereas the Saturn one is listed as working with...the Saturn. Fortunately they're pretty cheap and not hard to get.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Agreed with the above. It's actually replaced by arcade stick as my go-to controller, just as long as you don't get one of the dodgy d-pads like I did at first attempt...

Finally got round to trying this last night. Not really a lot to go off, even for a demo. Looks nice though, if a little busy at times.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
malc
Site Admin

Post by malc »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Played the demo on Switch, not overly impressed

* The way the background moves is giving me motion sickness
* Collision detection is well off, have died a few times to a bullet that didn't touch me
* Fairly pedestrian stage with some cheap tricks. Ate laser from the 2nd robot first time around then never again
* Dreadful music
* I know it's stage 1 but the boss was simple and uninteresting to face
* Could have used a second, more challenging stage

Quite like the artistic direction though. Boss encased in ice, funky lobster things.

Need that camera gone if I'm to buy it though, regardless of other improvements.
Came on to say pretty much the same. Distinctly underwhelmed after sampling the Switch demo. Playing Delta or Final after it, you realise what a proper R-Type feels like. Am I old and jaded? Probably, but at least am not alone in my impressions of it. Hoping the final iteration will be better. Overall, it just seems sluggish, even for the type of game it is.
SPM

Post by SPM »

@malc: To be fair, it's hard to compare games based on just the first stage. And in any case, doing so puts the first Final at the very bottom! What a long and boring first stage it had!
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah