R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by qmish »

I like Uroboros though (perhaps I play too much biohazard battle/crying, eh)

:roll:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Voted Blue Symphonies out of ground-based solidarity. Image
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Blue Symphonies said SHAVING IS BORING!
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Why is Blue Symphony not only not winning, but sitting in last place by an embarrassingly large margin? This is bullshit.
Last edited by DietSoap on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't know man. I am starting to think that R-Type fans are just really dumb, and have no taste.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bring on IMAGE FIGHT GAMMA and R-TYPE ƐPSILON pls Image
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

EmperorIng wrote:just really dumb
Definitely.
EmperorIng wrote:have no taste.
Nah, they're R-Type fans after all.

Personally, the TANK is an easy first choice. Aesthetically I think that Uroboros is the coolest but it seems like the designated noob ship with its gimmick. Thus, I'd have to pick April Fools as a runner up. Requiem is cool but far too edgy for my tastes lol.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Austin

Post by Austin »

Another Kickstarter update rolled out today. Only a couple things of note:

- New million dollar stretch goal has been met. Because of this they will be recreating a level from R-Type Leo (the specific stage hasn't been stated yet).
- For the $900,000 tier, they ran a poll for what R-Type III stage to remake. Stage 4 got the most amount of votes and so it looks like they will be remaking it for Final 2.

Personal opinion: R-Type III Stage 4.... blech.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Austin wrote:R-Type III Stage 4
God have mercy. :shock:

Unless by remake they mean "fix." In that case I get it. I'd vote to remake Saigo no Nindou's ninja pit any time. After remaking whoever mandated its inclusion's face with my fist. Image Kidding! I'd imprison them miles underground and interrogate them as to WTF they were thinking, though!

TBH safe option would be remaking stage 1. Highspeed space junkyard is a bangin' stage when you chop out the 90% dead air currently making it the Worst Opening STG Stage Ever (not even Gekirindan can compete). That Gains who gets PWNed by a wall after comically glancing over his shoulder deserves better, god damn it.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, I'd love to see that Stage 1 remade in the updated engine. It's a bit on the slow/tedious side in the SNES one, but this would be a good chance to make it more exciting.

*Edit: I sort of take that back. I'd rather see them craft a tightly nit, unique set of levels rather than focus so much effort on old ones. I am curious though how they plan on implementing these remakes into the game, and how much they plan on rearranging them (if at all).
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

So, this is a new Rtype - so why are they looking to re-do old levels- surely the whole point of this is to create some new masterpiece?

They've kinda missed the point?

Or am I wrong?
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
BIL

Post by BIL »

No, I would concur (also with Austin's similar point above). I enjoy call-backs to past stage/enemy/setpiece designs, R-Type's included (Delta has some great ones, particularly Stage 3's huge battleship reimagined as an earth-shattering quadrupedal fortress). Done right, it can create an appealing sense of legacy (not to be confused with nostalgia!) and, ideally, put some new spins on old favourites.

Outright announcing entire stages to be remade wholesale seems on-the-nose, at best.

But I was a bit uneasy at them calling it "Final 2" to begin with, given that game's not entirely successful execution, and its "Space Gran Turismo" concept running counter to the tightly-focused stage+ship design I value from vintage IREM (bangin' epigraphs though! Image). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and giving them the benefit of the doubt that these won't just be Dimensions-esque note-for-note reconstructions. (not a knock on Dimensions itself, OFC, given that is expressly a polygonal reconstruction of the first two games)

(TBH I wonder if the remake thing is corporate-mandated. I know if I was working unfettered on such a project, I'd be itching to do a Leo/Delta-style original. A xenohorrific bioindustrial motherfucker screaming up out of its blazing pyre like a Gigeroidal Phallo-Phoenix. I'd go BALLS-HARD on the black terror of total biospheric annihilation, too. 0% moe, 1000% please God no. Image)
Spoiler
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Stage 4 of R-Type III is goddamn BS and it's the most voted yet.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Maybe it's a protest vote. If they did a Saigo no Saigo no Nindou (The Really Saigo One This Time), and had a similar poll, I would sure as hell vote to remake stage 7-2, an even worse truckload of Memoriser Bullshit™ than R-Type III's fourth stage. :lol:

I'd rather they not remake anything at all but if they're going to, I'd rather get a fixed piece of garbage than a retread of something that was good the first time around.

EDIT: I really want a Holy "Not Crap Controls" Diver remake tbh, but I'll stop before we really get into the weeds. :o

Or maybe they're just going for Dobkeratops' irresistible cool factor. :sad: That annoying batard! He puts in ten seconds work thirty years ago and gets a friggin career out of it! He's the Ringo Starr of STG bosses, surely. Not that I don't love him. I'm just envious my own creation BIO-CUNT will never be as famous. :oops:

Last edited by BIL on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin

Post by Austin »

BIL wrote:than a retread of something that was -not- good the first time around.
Fixed that for you.

:lol:
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

I really hope we get stage 2 from delta in this game .

I love the air and water music change so much.

Any new screen shots of the game ?

I will head over to the Twitter to see what new developments, ships they are showing.

I am so excited for this game !

I loved collecting ships in the original .

Bill you are spot on with the ringo Starr refrence XD
Arms installation complete Good luck
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

BIL wrote:EDIT: I really want a Holy "Not Crap Controls" Diver remake tbh, but I'll stop before we really get into the weeds. :o
What do you mean by crap controls? They feel pretty flexible compared to something like (NES) Castlevania, or the Makaimuras.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Axelay wrote:Bill you are spot on with the ringo Starr refrence XD
The cool kids dig Pig Joe and Black Heart, but they'll never be ballin' on the cover of Life Magazine like ODB (OL' DoBIE). :cool:
FabulousVioletGuy wrote:What do you mean by crap controls? They feel pretty flexible compared to something like (NES) Castlevania, or the Makaimuras.
It's not the handling, which is beautiful (the TRVE and original METROIDVANIA* Image), but the control interface, which is brutally glitched and has to be worked around from start to finish.

I don't think HD would be much harder than one-lifing Zelda II or Metroid (tough, but fair!) if fixed. As-is, it's a brain-rewiring nightmare, closer to genuine body horror than anything the R-Types did. After no-missing it, I was subconsciously performing the learned workarounds in stuff like CV1 and Ninja Gaiden (and getting battered for it :shock:). Just watching footage, any footage, I feel 'em firing up again. VIDEODROME lurks! It's a game I can genuinely say I don't plan on playing again, and I own a copy so mint the box corner could put an eye out. Image

I'd buy the hell out of a fixed version, though!

Rad avatar+username btw Image
Spoiler
*though its Treachery Platformer™ element owes as much if not more to Zelda II, which also seems to have had its lifebar pilfered!

"BAH GAWD YOU GONE OFF-TOPIC" says my conscience. "STFU BITCH, BTW DID YOU KNOW MASAHIKO ISHIDA DID THE OSTs FOR BOTH HOLY DIVER AND R-TYPE II, AND HE NEVER FINISHED THE LATTER'S STAGE 4 BGM?" says my insatiable nerdbrain. Image
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

NAVVARR wrote:So, this is a new Rtype - so why are they looking to re-do old levels- surely the whole point of this is to create some new masterpiece?

Or am I wrong?
These are likely extra stages separate from the main game, or accessible alongside the main game somehow. Think stage 3.5 in Final. In fact, they'll probably require using the appropriate ship to access, just like stage 3.5 in Final.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Austin wrote:Another Kickstarter update rolled out today. Only a couple things of note:

- New million dollar stretch goal has been met. Because of this they will be recreating a level from R-Type Leo (the specific stage hasn't been stated yet).
- For the $900,000 tier, they ran a poll for what R-Type III stage to remake. Stage 4 got the most amount of votes and so it looks like they will be remaking it for Final 2.

Hmm? Their Twitter mentions RT3 only...nothing about Leo.
Austin

Post by Austin »

tizerist wrote:
Austin wrote:Another Kickstarter update rolled out today. Only a couple things of note:

Hmm? Their Twitter mentions RT3 only...nothing about Leo.
I didn't quote their Twitter. I quoted the actual Kickstarter email that was sent out to backers. Not sure why they wouldn't include it in their Twitter updates, but I wouldn't worry about it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despatche wrote:
NAVVARR wrote:So, this is a new Rtype - so why are they looking to re-do old levels- surely the whole point of this is to create some new masterpiece?

Or am I wrong?
These are likely extra stages separate from the main game, or accessible alongside the main game somehow. Think stage 3.5 in Final. In fact, they'll probably require using the appropriate ship to access, just like stage 3.5 in Final.
This is kind of my hope. It seems to me like they plan on having multiple stages to play (and more to be added in later, according to their pitch) which makes it unlikely that they are just going to make a 50-stage arcade campaign. I imagine stage selects, score attacks, and maybe a long main game is the final(2) result.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

To play those levels, my personal preference would be optional warp gates somewhere in the stages, like Gradius 3 but more obvious and accessable. You can choose to fly into them or continue progress in the RTF2 campaign.
What I would hate is, a main menu option, like "Extra Levels" where they are isolated to 5 minute run-throughs.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

R-type did, in fact, do such a thing.

Once.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
GSK

Post by GSK »

Just to clarify, they haven't committed to remaking every stage that gets the most votes--whenever they put out the results they always put a disclaimer that says game balance and stage variety take precedence so they may not necessarily go with the most-requested stage, especially if the vote was tight to begin with.

Or am I wrong?
It's a crowdfunded game, and playing to peoples' nostalgia is an effective way to get backers.

Kujo's also talked about how, if Final was all about ships then this game will be all about stages, and how he likes the idea of producing, say, extremely difficult stages that are completely standalone, or otherwise delivering stages outside of the traditional arcade-style linear curve, including via DLC/updates.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Wasn't this supposed to get a demo in April or something? Maybe I'm misremembering.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

They probably were working hard on getting Disaster Report 4 out in a 'playable' state (heh heh), and this pandemic probably pushed things back beyond the usual kickstarter delays.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Or am I wrong?
There hasn't been a new R-Type STG in almost twenty years (enough time for a person to be born and go through an entire mandatory school system), and the only reason Final 2 is even happening is because there's fan demand for it.

Oh.

I already responded to that post with a completely different answer.

Hm.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Devastating bump, I was hoping for more news.

I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Final. I feel old now. :shock:
heli

Post by heli »

I,m getting claustrofobia already.
To much ships in the final version, delta is better with only 3 ships.
So they focus more on levels now, betters.

I like delta better, no destroying the ship with flying into the wall.
With delta i can not get past stage 5.
The first stages are better.

And the slowdown, i dont get it why they released r-type final.
Try the robot stage, huge slowdown, maybe the dev-kits run faster ?
While they are no amateurs, they make this choise ?
Hope for final 2 the PS4/PS5 has enough power.

I pay 30,- max.