New Neo-Geo shmup -- Last Hope [also for DC]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

iatneH wrote:But the game IS available for download on other (darker) channels.
Well yeah, I meant legally and officially, for paying customers of the Limited Edition.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yesterday, I download and watched Retro Core vol. 30, and Yakumo gave this game an 8 out of 10.

There's a LOT of zeros in that score; does the game loop at all?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

Hmmm, got to admit I've been playing this for a while now, and it really is rather disappointing :(
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I could get and burn it if I wanted too but I want the package in my hands.
That's why it would be nice to hear from the dev team about it.
It's been long since...
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I downloaded it while waiting for my Regular edition to get delivered. The craptacularititiousocity (IMO) was shocking and I'm glad I didn't have to open up my original to find out.

The benefit for you LE people will be even better because you'll still have a sealed LE to sell to some poor fellow.

edit: Actually, not that shocking. I was already not expecting anything good from reading this thread, but the game succeeded in falling severely short of my already low expectations.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Soooo Yakumo bashes Ikaruga and then enjoys Last Hope? Retro Core always did kinda rub me wrong.

Shmups Forum should have it's own web show. That would be cool...
louisg

Post by louisg »

szycag wrote:Soooo Yakumo bashes Ikaruga and then enjoys Last Hope? Retro Core always did kinda rub me wrong.

Shmups Forum should have it's own web show. That would be cool...
It does look like the higher levels that he showed off in LH though are less busy and have higher visibility. I'd like to give those a try.

I personally thought he should've given Gun Frontier a higher score. IMO that game is really underrated, it's aged reasonably well, and it does appear to be the inspiration for a few later shooters. I think I missed the part where he bashed Ika.
Humans, think about what you have done
szycag

Post by szycag »

If I remember right it's in the episode where he reviews all the shmups for Dreamcast side by side... up to Under Defeat I think. It should still be on Youtube.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It's a sham this game turned out like this, it forgot the most important thing in a videogame. That it's actually fun to play...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

When's the Neo Geo CD release due out?

And, as far as Yakumo's opinions go, it's obvious that he doesn't like bullet-hell shmups, and, neither do I. I think Ikaruga's a great shmup, but there are plenty of other more traditional shmups that I'd rather play.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

dave4shmups wrote:I think Ikaruga's a great shmup
Really? Then why don't you play it? I think it's a pretty awful shmup. It's tedious to play, and that's why I don't. Makes sense, eh?
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Ceph wrote:
Really? Then why don't you play it? I think it's a pretty awful shmup. It's tedious to play, and that's why I don't. Makes sense, eh?
Heh...I agree.

Last Hope is much more fun to me than Ikaruga ever was.

*waits to be stoned to death by other members*
Fight Like A Robot!
szycag

Post by szycag »

ROBOTRON wrote:Last Hope is much more fun to me than Ikaruga ever was.

*waits to be stoned to death by other members*
:evil:

Go to star!!

:)
nem

Post by nem »

ROBOTRON wrote:
Ceph wrote:
I think it's a pretty awful shmup. It's tedious to play, and that's why I don't.
Heh...I agree.

Last Hope is much more fun to me than Ikaruga ever was.
Ikaruga more tedious than Last Hope? Wait, what?
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

nem wrote:
Pfft, people and their tastes. :roll:
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

szycag wrote:If I remember right it's in the episode where he reviews all the shmups for Dreamcast side by side... up to Under Defeat I think. It should still be on Youtube.
He made the Dreamcast Shooting Special in late 2005... so the newest game shown in that video was Trizeal.
nem

Post by nem »

FrederikJurk wrote:
nem wrote:
Pfft, people and their tastes. :roll:
Pfft, people and their discussion. :roll:

Anyway, I read that in haste. Didn't think that Robotron was just agreeing on Ikaruga being awful.

I just can't see how someone can think Ikaruga is tedious and R-Typ... *cough*, Last Hope isn't.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular...but let me clarify.

I think Ikaruga is a well put-together shmup. Ikaruga had some top-notch graphics. It had some new and fresh ideas (the black-white thing)...however, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It felt more "puzzle" game to me than a shmup...it didn't gel right with me. However, It has earned a spot in my collection...a keeper.

Last Hope is more fun than Ikaruga to me. I'll admit, I was pissed at some of Hope's attributes...but it quickly grew on me. The music is really good and stage appropriate which engrosses me into the product even more. I'm a sucker for Amiga graphics in which Last Hope's concept was probably derived from.

My apologies if folks around here thought I was putting Ikaruga down...I really meant If I had a choice between the two, I'd rather play Last Hope. Its a simple matter of personal preference. Games like Thunderforce 3, R-Type and Border Down are still superior shmups to me (over Last Hope).
Fight Like A Robot!
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

For the people who are still waiting on their LE of the game there´s finally some good news.

Redspotgames announced that the LE will at last be released on the 23th of March.

Now, someone sell it to me! :twisted:
please... :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
dczx

Post by dczx »

Ikaruga is one of my favorite shmups... beautiful in execution and style, yet a different concept from Last Hope. Kind of hard to compare.

Another Last Hope fan here! Haven't had any time to play lately though....
make a reaction
memorizing a pattern
must not be shot down
Brain Slug

Post by Brain Slug »

Well it's the 23rd and my Last Hope LE is still showing as ''Backorder'' on Play-Asia. All this waiting around just for the music CD is really pissing me off now.

Any Photoshop Jedi fancy making a CD/DVD case insert for this? I finally cracked and downloaded a copy....
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ceph! Have you gotten your copy, yet? Just curious.

Yes, it's become some kind of personal soap opera for me.

:lol:
al138

Post by al138 »

Last Hope is the only game I've purchased in the last four years that I've contemplated selling. It's certainly not the worst shooter I've played, but I've never been so tempted to recooperate my "losses" on a title. The only thing that has kept me from it is my desire not to ruin the late run DC collection I have going.
szycag

Post by szycag »

From someone with a Cho Aniki avatar, that's saying a lot :)

It still baffles me that some people defended this game. Even if it does meet par with the games it was inspired by, it doesn't do anything above and beyond that. Why is that worth anyone's cash?
That is Galactic Dancing
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

szycag wrote:It still baffles me that some people defended this game. Even if it does meet par with the games it was inspired by, it doesn't do anything above and beyond that. Why is that worth anyone's cash?
Because just as some people hate it, some of us have enjoyed it. Look at all the people who praise DoDonPachi as God's gift to shmups, yet not everyone feels the same way. Opinions are funny like that ;)
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

The Coop wrote: Look at all the people who praise DoDonPachi as God's gift to shmups
The crazy bastards.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

shinsage wrote:
The Coop wrote: Look at all the people who praise DoDonPachi as God's gift to shmups
The crazy bastards.
I know, right? I mean, how could they confuse that with Divine Sealing? It's so obvious.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Hope_%28video_game%29
Reviewers who appreciate such high degree of challenge, however, have praised it as a technically impressive and well-designed game.
I wonder if the devs themselves wrote that part..

Someone should add that nice quote from the developers regarding criticism to the article:
RHE wrote:Understand a games concept first, then complaining about it.
PS.
Wasn't the LE supposed to ship 5 days ago? I still don't have it.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

jesus.... it's STILL not out?!
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Strider77 wrote:
jesus.... it's STILL not out?!
Maybe they are hand-carving each CD?

Ceph wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Hope_%28video_game%29
Reviewers who appreciate such high degree of challenge, however, have praised it as a technically impressive and well-designed game.
I wonder if the devs themselves wrote that part..
Update: Someone actually deleted the section I quoted (I swear it wasn't me) :lol: