New Neo-Geo shmup -- Last Hope [also for DC]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I was halfway joking about BIG and the told you so thing, the game does have some issues but I am still pretty forgiving since it's home brew. I certainly couldn't do better.

But in BIG's deffence I could see his point of view especially considering how much the AES cart would have cost. No way would I pay hundreds of dollars for it.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I got mine in a couple days ago. Iam very impressed with the packaging by the NG:Dev.Team. It's ALMOST an official DC release. :wink: And I do love the ability to put the game in my CD player and enjoy the excellent soundtrack. But this game is fucking hard though! :shock: :evil: Harder than I was expecting it to be. I played it for almost a 1/2 hour straight, as soon as I got it, and I couldn't even get past the first stage.

Son of a bitch!
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

I'm happy with this game being hard. It's gonna last longer. *Easy* shmup is an oxymoron IMO.
But still, I find it easier than R-Type I, II or Rayxanber. I've done more progress in a week w/ Last Hope than I did in a month w/ R-Type.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Stage 3 was a beast. Finding a path through those little ships while avoiding getting crushed was HARD indeed. The boss was joke-free as well.

I'm at the beginning of 4.

STUCK.
Fight Like A Robot!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

anyone beat this game yet? i'm guessing not...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Anything new on the LE shipping delays?
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Strider77 wrote:anyone beat this game yet? i'm guessing not...
**Raises hand**

On "Easy" anyway. I'm working on "Normal".
genetik

Post by genetik »

ubersaurus wrote:Anything new on the LE shipping delays?
I'm also waiting on that one. Can't believe that Karous will probably ship before the LE edition of Last Hope.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

genetik wrote:
I'm also waiting on that one. Can't believe that Karous will probably ship before the LE edition of Last Hope.
Having paid for mine in January I wonder at what point it is morally ok to get an "evaluation copy"... :x
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

The Coop wrote:
Strider77 wrote:anyone beat this game yet? i'm guessing not...
**Raises hand**

On "Easy" anyway. I'm working on "Normal".
awesome.

I am on normal and have barely reached stage 4. :shock:
Fight Like A Robot!
LSU

Post by LSU »

Ceph wrote:
genetik wrote:
Having paid for mine in January I wonder at what point it is morally ok to get an "evaluation copy"... :x
Damn, I'm still waiting on my regular edition to be delivered that I pre-ordered in December.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

LSU wrote:
Ceph wrote:
genetik wrote: I'm also waiting on that one. Can't believe that Karous will probably ship before the LE edition of Last Hope.
Damn, I'm still waiting on my regular edition to be delivered that I pre-ordered in December.
Where did you order it from?
LSU

Post by LSU »

The Coop wrote:
LSU wrote: Damn, I'm still waiting on my regular edition to be delivered that I pre-ordered in December.
Van Basilco (followed the link off the official Last Hope web site). It's supposed to have just shipped out yesterday, actually. Assuming it takes a week or so to wing its way from there to CA, I might finally have it in my hands by the end of next week. Very interested to see what I make of it after all this discussion!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I don't know why half of you are bitching about the difficulty of this game, its not like you can 1CC half of the top 25 of 2006 is it?

Someone should make a game where it starts on the hardest difficulty and ends up easy at the end. At least you would conquer the hardest bits first :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
bVork

Post by bVork »

There's a difference between unfair hard and fair hard. Personally, I like it when I can actually see what killed me.
bVork it up!
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Since no one cared to open a HS thread for this game, I have decided to open one.

Both Neo Geo and DC owners can post their scores. Come on, I know there are people out there who like this. :P

My game will be in tommorow, so my first scores will be posted in the weekend at the earliest.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I was waiting on my copy from NCS. They didn't get their shipment in last week and still had not this week. So, I decided to change my order to the Salamander Collection for the PSP. It should be in Monday. I'll get Last Hope later...maybe.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

The Coop wrote:
In case your interested, mine was from Play-Asia. They were quite speedy with the delivery...I say that because I was among the first here to get a copy (I think).

It was $40 (maybe a little less because I had a coupon) and it even came with this neat sticker thing:

Fight Like A Robot!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

ROBOTRON wrote:
The Coop wrote:
In case your interested, mine was from Play-Asia. They were quite speedy with the delivery...I say that because I was among the first here to get a copy (I think).

It was $40 (maybe a little less because I had a coupon) and it even came with this neat sticker thing:

I got mine from them as well, but I took the "economy Box" option. $20 for shipping is a bit high for me.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Still not a fan of the game but have to admit that's a cool sticker.
LSU

Post by LSU »

Alright! Finally got mine delivered yesterday. There are plenty of opinions expressed here already, but I'll add my 2 cents regardless.

I'd say how you might rate this game may well depend on what you're expecting, and how you respond to the very old-school look and feel. Personally I find it really impressive that a bunch of guys could get together and code and release something like this. The price point is really my only major concern - for a piece of (admittedly quite good) homebrew it's a little pricey, almost comparable to an officially released game. But I can well understand the production costs for such a (presumably) low-run game might be quite high, so that has to be covered.

The graphics really do remind me of old Amiga games, not necessarily such a bad thing if you're an old timer like me who grew up with those, but not exactly up to date looking. Nonetheless a nice amount of parallax layers in there and all very smooth. I found the music to be the most professional part of the whole package - really nicely done.

I think the difficulty might prove to be a little high for me, but we'll see. I also do agree with the comments about bullet/shrapnel visibility - despite any tweaks made to the DC version, it's still not absolutely clear and thus a bit of a problem. I guess that's one more thing to memorize. It'll never make my top 25 list, but it's got a lot of personality and I think it's worth picking up if you can justify spending the cash.

Hope we get more games from these guys in the future - how about a vert next time?
:D

EDIT: I'm actually enjoying this a little more now, after a few days play. The difficulty is still way too steep for me, but it's playable. I normally have quite a poor opinion of Euroshmups but this is really just about as good as any of them I've played. I think I actually prefer it to a few official DC releases now (Trizeal, Chaos Field, Radilgy). Worth picking up.
Last edited by LSU on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

LSU wrote:Alright! Finally got mine delivered yesterday.
LE or regular?
XERO

cheats

Post by XERO »

anyone got those cheats yet?
LSU

Post by LSU »

Ceph wrote:
LSU wrote:Alright! Finally got mine delivered yesterday.
LE or regular?
Just the regular version. (Sorry.)
God

Post by God »

Kind of a taboo question but...what's the chance Last Hope works on Kawaks?
Considering the developers of Last Hope are reading and responding in this thread, I could think of a couple other words other than taboo.
A demo would be neat.
roker

Post by roker »

bVork wrote:There's a difference between unfair hard and fair hard.
don't forget: hard, but fun and rewarding

and

hard, but sucks ass and cheap kills
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

I think LSU´s impressions and opinion on the game reflect mine very well.

I have gotten both Exelica and Last Hope on the same day, and must say I am enjoying Last Hope more than Exelica atm.
It is just what I hoped it would be, a retro looking hori (only the second hori for the DC!) with superb music!
It´s smooth scrolling, handling very well, and I love the small cameos (R-type´s first boss for instance). :)

I do have some issues with the game however.

I agree on the poor bullet visibility (especially in Arcade mode), which isn´t helped by the fact that the bullets change color and indeed the shrapnel.
Another point is the unclear and seemingly too large hitbox.
Sometimes I am certain I should have been dead, yet I survive and other times it´s like " hey I didn´t hit it that much!" and I get killed. :?
Also the Arcade mode is WAY too hard on default difficulty, but I think the developers responded well too criticism on the Arcade mode by the much better balanced (and with less shrapnel-bullet issues) Dreamcast mode.
It is the Dreamcast mode I am enjoying and which has me hooked atm.
One last point of criticism is that when you pause the game, it´s difficult to get the game going again (only pushing start and movement buttons a while seems too help eventually).

All in all I can see why people are criticizing the game and, to a certain level, rightfully so. But I myself quite like the game and am glad I bought it. It´s keeping Exelica out of the DC for now at least. :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Would somebody of the Last Hope team please shed a light on how things stand right now ?
I'm slowly getting literally sick of waiting.....
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Michaelm wrote:Would somebody of the Last Hope team please shed a light on how things stand right now ?
I'm slowly getting literally sick of waiting.....
Yeah, me too. Offering the game as download to bridge the waiting for those who purchased the LE would have been a nice gesture; after all we paid for it in full months ago.

PS.
Their website hasn't been updated since January either.

PPS.
If they used the time to fix some of the flaws (maybe include a pink-bullet-mode) I wouldn't mind the waiting; but what are the chances of that happening...
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

But the game IS available for download on other (darker) channels.

The difference in LE is packaging and OST disc, right? So it's more like offer the OST for download...