Ketsui Deathtiny, having trouble with player 2 joining

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Suboptimal808

Ketsui Deathtiny, having trouble with player 2 joining

Post by Suboptimal808 »

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can not figure out how to have a second player join me on the PS4 physical release of the game. The touch pad on controller 2 brings up the pause menu, but nothing inside or outside of that menu is recognized as the 2P start button, including the Options button, which works for player one. Thoughts? What am I missing?

I know it sounds silly, but we could use a little advise.
the androgyne

Re: Ketsui Deathtiny, having trouble with player 2 joining

Post by the androgyne »

You have to go to the controller config screen in options, one of the face buttons (forget which sorry!) then takes you to a controller assign screen.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I think you need to press triangle at the option screen to bring up the controller assign
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Thanks for explaining this. I was trying to play it with my son, 2 player coop, and couldn't figure it out. It's really fun. But I do wish this was more straight-forward.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
heli

Post by heli »

Indeed the M2 menus are over-complex and not simple,
almost as difficult as the game itself, especially without translation.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

heli wrote:Indeed the M2 menus are over-complex and not simple,
almost as difficult as the game itself, especially without translation.
Has anyone gotten a 2-ALL of the menu system? Or is the rank increase from turning on scanlines too intense?
heli

Post by heli »

No, after the update all the menu changed, and the translation is not correct anymore.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Menu system 1.5 Black Label
FRO

Post by FRO »

Rastan78 wrote:Menu system 1.5 Black Label
This gave me a good laugh this morning. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping the English translation that's available will eventually be something patched into the physical version updates, so we can select that, or have a region option.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

As a side note, I'd discourage people from playing CAVE shmups 2 player. The side-to-side screen movement in their vertical games (or up/down screen movement in Deathsmiles) is disorienting in coop play to be honest. I know because I've tried for funsies and... it's not a great experience. It's very hard to focus on your own position when the entire screen shifts at random (as the second player is moving around).

However, there's TONS of great games where the screen is fixed in place whenever you're moving around so there's no disorienting movement! Newer console releases include stuff like the Vasara Collection (and its widescreen mode) and Score Rush. Jamestown is... sorta suitable for multiplayer? It unfortunately had left/right screen movement for some reason but it's slow enough that it's playable in multiplayer...

Good arcade games for coop that don't have the entire playfield move around off the top of my head include:

• The first two Giga Wing games are among the best co-op games, reflect mechanic encourages fun cooperative play, they have character specific coop paired storylines and endings (the third is a vert with left/right scrolling)
• Anything else by Takumi including Mars Matrix and Night Raid
• Guardian Force
• Basically anything by Psikyo, Gunbird 1 & 2 have character specific coop pairing storylines
• Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters
• Vasara 1 & 2 have reflection mechanics similar to Giga Wing, albeit less powerful
• Salamander 1 & 2
• Smash TV
• R-Type Leo
• Most NMK arcade shmups like Rapid Hero, Macross, Hacha Mecha Fighter, etc

Countless other arcade shmups with simultaneous multiplayer and no screen push scrolling are out there I'm sure. Heck, there's even a few good MS-DOS ones you could do I can think of such as Tyrian or Sideline.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I was playing the original Salamander the other day and thinking about how much it really seems to be a Gradius game intended to be balanced for 2 players. The power up pacing along with the dropping of the usual Gradius powerup system. For example you get two speedup drops at exactly the same time in level 1.

Raiden Fighters series has the screen wobble you mentioned that is standard in most vertical 3:4 shmups, (wasn't it Toaplan that came up with this innovation?) but it also has OP invincible tandem charge attacks that happen when both ships release a charge attack while close together.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:As a side note, I'd discourage people from playing CAVE shmups 2 player. The side-to-side screen movement in their vertical games (or up/down screen movement in Deathsmiles) is disorienting in coop play to be honest. I know because I've tried for funsies and... it's not a great experience. It's very hard to focus on your own position when the entire screen shifts at random (as the second player is moving around).
I've always hated this behavior in CAVE games, and never understood why they do it this way. It's "fixed" in SDOJ exA Label (non-Original modes, of course) to not be vomit inducing.

For some reason, they make the faster player have scrolling priority, so when the fast player is moving, the slow player cannot scroll the screen, but if the fast player is stopped the slow player does have control... What kind of nonsense is that!? Of course the solution is just to make the two players have equal scrolling control at all times. Simple is best!

IMO, basically any vertical shooter with horizontal scrolling is still totally fine in 2 players, as long as the scrolling behavior allows both players to have equal scrolling control. The nausea comes from losing and gaining scrolling control as is typical in CAVE games.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

trap15 wrote:I've always hated this behavior in CAVE games, and never understood why they do it this way. It's "fixed" in SDOJ exA Label (non-Original modes, of course) to not be vomit inducing.
A little off-topic but I'd love to know, is there a good writeup on the new exA mode anywhere? It'd be great to learn more about what you've done! The recent press releases I saw didn't give much detail.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ms. Tea wrote:A little off-topic but I'd love to know, is there a good writeup on the new exA mode anywhere? It'd be great to learn more about what you've done! The recent press releases I saw didn't give much detail.
There's various bits of info from players on twitter, but I feel like it'd be a bit weird and and bad to divulge all the things myself and ruin the "discovery period" for players. Since consumers are getting it soon, I expect there will be streams to learn more from soon.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Dangun has a fixed screen without any horizontal movement iirc. Might be a fun one for the lad with the funky music and voices too!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

trap15 wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:A little off-topic but I'd love to know, is there a good writeup on the new exA mode anywhere? It'd be great to learn more about what you've done! The recent press releases I saw didn't give much detail.
There's various bits of info from players on twitter, but I feel like it'd be a bit weird and and bad to divulge all the things myself and ruin the "discovery period" for players. Since consumers are getting it soon, I expect there will be streams to learn more from soon.
Oh yeah, totally makes sense. I'll keep an eye out for player impressions then.