Brawler 64 vs Hori Pad Mini (Retrobit Tribute) Controllers

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jordino

Brawler 64 vs Hori Pad Mini (Retrobit Tribute) Controllers

Post by Jordino »

I'm interested in buying a 3rd party controller before my controller wears down for the n64, and have looked at the Brawler 64 controller as well as a new controller coming out that is similar to the Hori Pad Mini. It's $30 including shipping and is called the Retro-Bit N64 Tribute. Both have their cons, with the Brawler's being the analog triggers, and both not having the Z and R buttons be symmetric. How are the analog sticks compared to each other, and which one do you guys recommend?
gray117

Re: Brawler 64 vs Hori Pad Mini (Retrobit Tribute) Controlle

Post by gray117 »

Not sure anyone's gotten the tribute yet. I'd wait a while if you're after this kind of controller format and see what the verdict is on stick sensitivity.

There's plenty of other clones around with a more faithful layout if that's what you're after.

There seems to be a bit of a pot luck issue with the build quality/tolerances on all of these, so I'd temper expectations a little.... I'd presume there's a mod scene around for this kind of thing if your after the best version - perhaps some of the brawl fans can better advise?

Sorry not a fan of the n64 specifically... always presumed it was the flawed original design that makes it hard to reproduce the exact stick sensitivity/feel... Kind of curious whether this is reflected in how game input is coded, or whether it's just down to player memory/experience/feel.