Neo Geo TATE?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
uchuukeibitaisdf

Neo Geo TATE?

Post by uchuukeibitaisdf »

i've been looking at the types of MVS cabinets on the market and i noticed a good deal of them have rotatable monitors, plus a few Neo Geo shmups on the Switch can be played in a vertical mode. so i'm wondering if there are any OG MVS games that can be played in TATE mode? is there maybe a list somewhere? i know there was that one NG:DEV team homebrew from a few years ago that was made to be played in TATE, but that was more a homebrew and not an OG game.
MABOROSHI NO MERRY GO ROUND
Sumez

Re: Neo Geo TATE?

Post by Sumez »

There are no non-homebrew Neo Geo games designed for tate. To my knowledge, only Neo XYX, right?
The Neo Geo version of Strikers 1945 was even changed into a vertizontal.
uchuukeibitaisdf

Post by uchuukeibitaisdf »

ahhh thats a shame. its a shame Neo XYX is so rare too, i'd love to get a non-dreamcast copy of it some time
MABOROSHI NO MERRY GO ROUND
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

The reason why there are no tate neo-geo MVS games, is the multi-cart MVS boards. Would be odd to have 3 horizontal games, and then one vertical game in the mix. Thats why MVS cabs never features any tube rotation mechanisms.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

uchuukeibitaisdf wrote:...and i noticed a good deal of them have rotatable monitors
Beware of the difference between 'rotatable' and 'easily rotateable', as xxx128 states without a rotating mechanism it's a bigger deal than you might expect even if there's room/fixings for a vertical monitor.

(Hardly any popular crt cabs; basically the egret 2.)

...Breaking a neck tube these days would be a real bummer.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you're on your own, especially if you're inexperienced, I'd recommend putting the cabinet flat on its back before picking up the monitor to rotate it.
That said, I wouldn't ever try to do that on a Big Red, unless it's the only cab I own. Definitely not just for Neo XYX.