Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GFoyle

Re: Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

Post by GFoyle »

Tried the PS4 version side by side with Switch version. Switch definitely has more input lag, if I would have to guess it's something like 1-3 frames more (using docked) in this case. I think the games on Switch feel about the same as the Zerodiv Psikyo ports, but the style of the games are a bit different, movement slower and enemy bullets don't come so fast so I don't know if it really matters that much outside the overall feel. I can play with Switch version just fine, but naturally it would be nicer to have the least amount of input lag as possible.

IMO the slightly sharper image on PS4 makes the original games look uglier than on Switch, which is a bit smoother (on sharp display filter) and looks more natural for games of this age. It could be also that the PS4 Pro is scaling it now to 4k or something too.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Has anyone managed to 1CC the Timeless mode? It's pretty easy up until stage 8, which introduces tiny indestructible suicide bullets. Since your Vasara attack has you flailing around all over the place a lot of the time, it's easy to lose several lives blundering through suicide bullets you've barely registered. There's also a pretty big spike at Oda Nobunaga, the boss that appears in stage 7 or 8. He too uses indestructible bullets for the first time, immediately making him much harder than any other boss up to that point. St8 is presenting quite a brick wall at the moment. :P
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

...isn't Timeless mode endless? At least I remember reading that somewhere.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

Ghegs wrote:...isn't Timeless mode endless? At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Probably its, because Im playing it for 1-2 days never quiting the game there is always a new enemy and level. :mrgreen:

Is anyone here have both Switch and Vita versions by any chance to compare? I wondering if the tiny lag you talk about is there for the Vita too?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, that'd make sense given the structure of this mode - stages and bosses can sometimes appear twice in the same short run, etc.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I really do not enjoy the knock back from your charged attacks. It just feels awful. I get the idea, and there's a few moments against bosses where it does add a certain tangible chunkiness to the game, but getting bounced around in levels is simply not fun. It's weird because in Part 1 it's much more subtle, but in 2 they ramped it up by 100%. The whole thing just feels like a rom-hacked Psikyo title. I'll probably mess around with 1 for a bit and go back to Psyvariar Delta.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GFoyle wrote:.
IMO the slightly sharper image on PS4 makes the original games look uglier than on Switch, which is a bit smoother (on sharp display filter) and looks more natural for games of this age. It could be also that the PS4 Pro is scaling it now to 4k or something too.
Switch version has a glitch where the settings don't save properly and have to be re-applied. The sharp setting looks distorted on the switch too (except in tate mode). I'm under the impression that PS4 version runs in 1080p and the Switch version is only 720p. I only have the slim PS4, though I'm thinking of upgrading to the Pro.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

ali_ihsan21 wrote:
Ghegs wrote:...isn't Timeless mode endless? At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Is anyone here have both Switch and Vita versions by any chance to compare? I wondering if the tiny lag you talk about is there for the Vita too?
Can confirm the Vita version has NO lag whatsoever, since it's a proper handheld without detachable controllers. Tate mode works wonderfully and the games look and feel better than on any other version IMHO. It just doesn't have the timeless mode at all. You'll still have to play with an analog stick in tate mode, but it's better than nothing.
The whole thing just feels like a rom-hacked Psikyo title.
God damn it, this sums up my feelings about the game 100%. Kudos.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
ali_ihsan21 wrote:
Can confirm the Vita version has NO lag whatsoever, since it's a proper handheld without detachable controllers. Tate mode works wonderfully and the games look and feel better than on any other version IMHO. It just doesn't have the timeless mode at all. You'll still have to play with an analog stick in tate mode, but it's better than nothing.
The whole thing just feels like a rom-hacked Psikyo title.
God damn it, this sums up my feelings about the game 100%. Kudos.
PS TV is nothing other than a Vita and it has controller on the other hand I always use vita with PS4 controller too. Just for this game change the plugin which support DS4 because of the tate mod.

Happy to hear that there is no lag maybe its because Vita lack HD mod, game is just 130 mb afair.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Jonpachi wrote:The whole thing just feels like a rom-hacked Psikyo title. I'll probably mess around with 1 for a bit and go back to Psyvariar Delta.
This is also my main takeaway. Glad I'm not the only one.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

This collection obviously hasn’t had the care that M2 have applied to the Shot Triggers series but for £8 odds I’m sure it will provide plenty of enjoyment.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

CMcK wrote:This collection obviously hasn’t had the care that M2 have applied to the Shot Triggers series but for £8 odds I’m sure it will provide plenty of enjoyment.
Yea, 8 quid isn't a bad price at all, especially for any version with Timeless. Doubly so if you haven't been playing all of the Psikyo stuff over the last couple years.
-
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Honestly I'd say Vasara feels more like a Takumi game than a Psikyo game. When I play it, I get into a similar rhythm of chaining together anti-bullet melee attacks back-to-back, with lower emphasis on standard shot.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

BrianC wrote:
GFoyle wrote:.
Switch version has a glitch where the settings don't save properly and have to be re-applied. The sharp setting looks distorted on the switch too (except in tate mode). I'm under the impression that PS4 version runs in 1080p and the Switch version is only 720p. I only have the slim PS4, though I'm thinking of upgrading to the Pro.
Noticed this bug earlier today.. it's pretty annoying. I hope this and the input lag gets patched sometime...theres potential in thisbcollection but overall it feels pretty choppy right now.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I only knew those games by name beforehand and I find myself enjoying this compilation a lot. The melee-based game loop is very exciting and even if you almost never have to use your main shot, the sword attack packs so much power and effectiveness and the sound effects are just so pleasant that it's not a problem at all. Vasara 2 also allows you to store several Vasara attacks and use them for big damage which is another very welcome addition.

Timeless mode didn't seem like it would be fun in solo play upon my first try, but after following Klatrymadon's advice and spamming the Vasara attacks with a Vasara 2 character, I think it's an enjoyable bonus mode. The rapid recharge rate of the Vasara attacks (which I suspect is due to the balancing made for 4 players in mind) really gives an unrestrained dynamic to this mode. I guess you can use bombs with Vasara 1 characters too as the pickups spawn often, but you don't get the speed boost so it's a bit less thrilling.

The devs have already added a PC patch for controller rebinding, now hopefully they'll add in some keyboard remapping as well because the default keyboard controls make more sense in a FPS or something. Despite the lack of features compared to a M2 port and that rebinding issue, I am still satisfied with this compilation.

Re:Vita version : According to this interview, the Vita version was specifically built for the console for performance reasons. The other ones have been made with Unity which can explain the difference in performance and input lag bewteen the versions, and the absence of the Timeless mode in the Vita game.
By the way, can you rebind keys on the Vita version? The interview mentions this, which is weird since it isn't possible on the console versions and was only added afterwards in the PC version (and even then, it uses a Steam config thingy)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
MachineAres 1CC

ali_ihsan21 wrote:PS TV is nothing other than a Vita and it has controller on the other hand I always use vita with PS4 controller too. Just for this game change the plugin which support DS4 because of the tate mod.
This is not really the case. The PS TV does add a little lag just due to the nature that it's using a completely different (and variable) video output signal (plus HDTV's usually have a little extra processing time compared to having the screen built into the hardware) and that will often add a short frame or two of lag PLUS if you're using an official wireless PS3 or PS4 controller, it'll add another frame or two of lag because even if you plug in with a USB cable, Sony's controllers still run on Bluetooth and don't actually work over the USB cable (the cable just syncs to the console and charges the battery.) Third party USB controllers are a good option if you want to avoid that extra lag, but you'll still have an ever-so-slight lag from the changing of the video signal.
Re:Vita version : According to this interview, the Vita version was specifically built for the console for performance reasons. The other ones have been made with Unity which can explain the difference in performance and input lag bewteen the versions, and the absence of the Timeless mode in the Vita game. By the way, can you rebind keys on the Vita version?
Nope, no way to rebind as of yet. And that definitely explains why the Vita version feels so tight and optimized (besides the obvious of being on a handheld where all the hardware works in tandem with no variables) and why Timeless mode is missing
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: Nope, no way to rebind as of yet. And that definitely explains why the Vita version feels so tight and optimized (besides the obvious of being on a handheld where all the hardware works in tandem with no variables) and why Timeless mode is missing
Have you done an actual comparison? I'm reading that it is unique but nothing else though.

I'm actually really really curious on what the actual differences are
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is it true the Timeless Mode is endless? I just wonder how many stages there are in that mode...
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

xxx1993 wrote:Is it true the Timeless Mode is endless? I just wonder how many stages there are in that mode...
Timeless is endless, and it is only one stage with increasing hordes of enemy formations. That can be good training ground for the other games in the collection.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I see... I thought it had its own stages, though.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

So like... is it OK that I kinda hate this game? I mean, Timeless is a lot of fun with friends, but the arcade games are sorta bad. They just don't play that well.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I guess you're better off getting it on MAME, then.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:I guess you're better off getting it on MAME, then.
I fail to see how that will make Vasara 1 and 2 more fun. The games are fundamentally not that good.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well... Isn't that how we played Vasara 1 and 2 before this compilation came out? Through MAME?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:Well... Isn't that how we played Vasara 1 and 2 before this compilation came out? Through MAME?
What? No, no, you're clearly missing what I'm saying. I'm
saying Vasara 1 and 2 are not fun games. Playing a not-fun game will not be fun regardless of how it's emulated. :roll:
-
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The games are both unorthodox and rough in some areas (I personally wish they'd added a Garegga Rev. 2016-esque option to increase bullet visibility), so I definitely wouldn't expect everyone to love them, though they're still personal favorites in my case; a significant part of that, I ought to admit, is the goofy setting, which I'm a sucker for, so if the concept doesn't tickle you the same way it does me you probably won't be as forgiving of its low points.
MachineAres 1CC

Shelcoof wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote: Nope, no way to rebind as of yet. And that definitely explains why the Vita version feels so tight and optimized (besides the obvious of being on a handheld where all the hardware works in tandem with no variables) and why Timeless mode is missing
Have you done an actual comparison? I'm reading that it is unique but nothing else though.

I'm actually really really curious on what the actual differences are
First, what does "actual comparison" mean, and also, comparison between what?

I've played the Vita, Xbox, Switch, and PC versions and felt how all of them feel, most of them just a few minutes between each other. The Vita version runs in lower resolution, on non-variable hardware (except maybe Vita TV) and seems to have less processing and filters than other versions since it is much more of a bare bones port without extra modes, increased resolution, etc.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm still having a tough time deciding on getting this collection or just sticking with Vasara 1 and 2 on MAME...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just out of curiosity, playing the two games on this collection is exactly the same as playing it on MAME, right? I'm not really in the mood to waste my money here.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Vasara 1 has changes to its control scheme and boss timeouts. The rest seems the same.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS