Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by To Far Away Times »

Tokyo-J wrote:June 20th Release $19.99
Seems like a no brainer at that price. How's the difficulty on this one?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

English Site is up and a Physical version is coming later this year.

https://rollinggunner.wixsite.com/rollinggunner-en
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:June 20th Release $19.99
Seems like a no brainer at that price. How's the difficulty on this one?
Rolling gunner is no joke when it comes to difficulty, but it does have a solid "casual" mode that is actually harder than a 1-all in DFK.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Switch version of Rolling Gunner weighs in at a meager 1.0gb file size + 38.1mb update download which gives us the latest version at v1.02 on the USA Nintendo eShop site today 6-20-2019. It looks awesome running in 720p mode on a larger HDTV setup. Quite impressive running at 60fps framerate on the Switch indeed. Certainly does play much better with a dedicated Switch arcade stick setup compared with the Joy-con or optional Pro Controller setup.

Protip: You can listen to the cool BGM tunes in "Replay Mode" on the Switch version of Rolling Gunner if you simply press left on the D-pad or analog stick of the Joy-con/Pro controller/ Switch arcade stick to pause/freeze the given stage replay at hand. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

I've got to agree with the above. And while, of course, it plays best with stick, it's still highly playable even using the joycon on the go which is a bonus. Even the analog stick is tolerable (possibly moreso than the joycon dpad but I'm not sure yet)

I haven't played this on PC but I feel like it might be a little smoother on the switch compared to the videos I've seen. Then again it could just be the settings of the PC or the way the video was encoded so hard to say for certain.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

This looks like if Border Down had a couple Cave guys on the dev team
I mean that in the best way possible

Unfortunately, Radirgy S already ate up my game for June.
But July is nine days away...
geremy

Post by geremy »

I'm seriously impressed with this title. I've only seen the promo shots before buying, but they do nothing in demonstrating the elaborative nature of the enemies and background. I was expecting a somewhat novice effort in graphics based on what I had seen, but this is one full featured title.

Music is amazing
Enemy designs and bosses are awesome
Backgrounds are phenomenal
Game story and lore is great
Cutscenes are actually cool and worth watching
Some of the end of stage transitions are jaw dropping

I've only played novice and casual so far, but it has been highly entertaining.
guigui

Post by guigui »

I'm also playing this now, real good effort for the price asked, Cave-esque feeling in that hyper system.

Three quick questions :
- it seems that the number of medals released is tied to proximity. Is there another factor ?
- medals are sucked in when you get close to them. Is there another method to get them when they're far ?
- is there an instance where it would be better to let the "green hyper" end without triggering the "red hyper" ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

It seems that bigger medals are produced if you kill big enemies with charge shot and smaller enemies with rapid shot. Grabbing medals is about proximity and I don't know of another way to get them. I dunno about your third question, but if you can time the red hyper correctly when a bunch of enemies are approaching the scoring potential is massive.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
Do you reach the True Final Boss without continuing? And can it be done on other modes like Novice, kinda like DoDonPachi and Crimzon Clover?
guigui

Post by guigui »

xxx1993 wrote:
Spoiler
Do you reach the True Final Boss without continuing? And can it be done on other modes like Novice, kinda like DoDonPachi and Crimzon Clover?
Spoiler
I guess the only condition to trigger the TLB is to clear stage 6 without continuing. I could trigger it in Novice mode, so I'd say all other modes can trigger it too.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
So just don't continue? And it can be done in all modes? Good.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This game is SO good! The best new shmup I've played in ages. "Game Feel" is just spot-on, and the balance is near-perfect. This one will be in rotation for a long time to come.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It seems like the RS is my go-to ship already. My best so far is stage 4 on Normal, barely cracking 55m (Not even 1/3rd of the way to the first extend). Definitely have a LOT to learn about scoring in this one...
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Picked this up today. Thoroughly impressed and excited about a new shmup, which doesn't happen often. My main complaint is that it is difficult to tell when you actually get hit. The audiovisual cue is too subtle IMHO. That aside, this game plays similarly to a Cave shooter, but not enough to feel overdone, which is refreshing. Interested to see when people starting getting clears. In typical fashion, Stage 3 is where difficulty appears to ramp up considerably and is where my credit ends so far.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Mark_MSX wrote:Here's my reviewplay of the Switch vs PC releases.

https://youtu.be/UZeZWvW8te8
Thanks for that informative review. I didn't realize that playing the Switch docked could have an effect on the gameplay. There is another method to hook up the Switch to a tv using a usb-c extension cable. Thinking about trying it to see if it works better. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

AFXisatwin wrote:
Mark_MSX wrote:Here's my reviewplay of the Switch vs PC releases.

https://youtu.be/UZeZWvW8te8
Thanks for that informative review. I didn't realize that playing the Switch docked could have an effect on the gameplay. There is another method to hook up the Switch to a tv using a usb-c extension cable. Thinking about trying it to see if it works better. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk
Interesting stuff. So far, I've had my best runs in handheld with a Hori d-pad joycon, even though I have an HRAP V for my Switch and a big tv. Something about just being up close to it like that with headphones on makes me all the more present. I haven't noticed any frame dips in handheld, at least nothing that I can blame a death on. :)
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Interesting stuff. So far, I've had my best runs in handheld with a Hori d-pad joycon, even though I have an HRAP V for my Switch and a big tv. Something about just being up close to it like that with headphones on makes me all the more present. I haven't noticed any frame dips in handheld, at least nothing that I can blame a death on. :)
I've started to play the switch in handheld mode as well. Haven't bought that nice Hori dpad yet so I just set up the switch undocked and use a pro controller. With how small the screen is it almost needs to be right in my face in order to play effectively.
guigui

Post by guigui »

finisherr wrote:My main complaint is that it is difficult to tell when you actually get hit. The audiovisual cue is too subtle IMHO.
I agree with that, tired of not even realizing I just autobombed.

That autobomb by the way is really, really nerfed compared to the normal bomb. The duration is cut by, like, a factor 10 and the invincibility frames are restricted to their minimum. You can chain autobomb (novice or casual) every seconds if you like.

I would also appreciate that a visual or sound feedback tells you when the "green jauge hyper" is about to end, so that I do not forget to trigger the "red jauge hyper".

Still a really great game. I did not play scoring on Original yet, but it looks like this (fortunately clear) rank system is where it's at : just make the rank go up and do not die.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ZCuFHMGhw

Damn this replay is inspiring! He pulls over 30m just off the first boss! I definitely have a lot to learn about scoring. I can get to stage 4 pretty consistently now in Original mode, but I have yet to trigger even the first extend.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Jonpachi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ZCuFHMGhw

Damn this replay is inspiring! He pulls over 30m just off the first boss! I definitely have a lot to learn about scoring. I can get to stage 4 pretty consistently now in Original mode, but I have yet to trigger even the first extend.
Here's my stage one score, 57m on the first boss. Working on squeezing some more out of it after some tips on Twitter.

https://youtu.be/JI05nsny2Mo
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Stanshall wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ZCuFHMGhw

Here's my stage one score, 57m on the first boss. Working on squeezing some more out of it after some tips on Twitter.

https://youtu.be/JI05nsny2Mo
Nice work! I kept trying to enter "red gauge" on that mid-boss and didn't realize I should have been saving that meter to milk the rest of the chumps in the stage afterward. I'm still a little confused as to how the spew of small medals from the death of the boss is worth SO MANY POINTS but I'll definitely be trying that later tonight.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Jonpachi wrote:I'm still a little confused as to how the spew of small medals from the death of the boss is worth SO MANY POINTS but I'll definitely be trying that later tonight.
From what I understand in the manual, this comes from the subcounter, the one under the medal counter :
* subcounter increases with each medal grabbed
* subcounter increases twice as fast while in Green or Red hyper
* subcounter decreases by 50% when the current hyper ends (not when you go from Green to Red) ; certainly also decreases on death/autobomb
* subcounter maxes at 10000
* subcounter value is added to the score gained by each medal, maybe even 2*subscounter is added ?

This last bit explains why more than 30 millions are gained on the spew of small medals : each small medal is worth 1000pts + 20000 subcounter. You can see the "1000+20000 pts" characters appearing in red after the last explosion.

Also factor in the rank at the top which gives about 1.4x multiplier to all points gained.
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

I bought it on release day last week for Switch. I´m totally impressed!!!
It catches the spirit of a cave-game:gameplay mechanics,graphics and not forget to mention a blast of a soundtrack.Can`t believe this game is selling for just 20 bucks (€) :shock:
This Game can easily compare in quality with currently top 10 shmups,imo
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Has anyone heard rumor of a physical copy?
GSK

Post by GSK »

kid aphex wrote:Has anyone heard rumor of a physical copy?
The overseas publisher Mastiff has already announced a physical version, it'll be released later in the year, US and EU.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

GSK wrote:
The overseas publisher Mastiff has already announced a physical version, it'll be released later in the year, US and EU.
Sweet.

Thanks, I missed that news.

I'll wait for the physical.
guigui

Post by guigui »

GSK wrote:
Cannot find the news on Mastiff site. Cannot find many infos on games they released btw, do you have a link to the announcment ?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Sorry double post, editing the scoring stuff after watching this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHZ6FMic0A

SUBCOUNTER (bottom left counter)
* subcounter increases with each medal grabbed
* subcounter increases twice as fast while in Green or Red hyper
* subcounter decreases by 50% when the current hyper ends (not when you go from Green to Red)
* subcounter maxes at 10000
* During Green hyper : subcounter value is added to the score gained by each medal. During Red hyper : 2*subcounter is added

RANK/MULTIPLIER : (top counters)
* little green rank counter increases with each medal grabbed
* once it reaches 10000, it is reset to 0 and you gain 0.1 rank.
* the base multiplier is 1, to which is added your current rank. So rank 1.3 means x2.3 to all score gained
* rank makes game harder, and decreases when you die, autobomb (and bomb ?)