Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ms. Tea

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by Ms. Tea »

Zeether wrote:So is there pretty much no hope of a PC release that isn't physical for this?
It came out on DMM Games, but it seems to be IP-locked to Japan for some reason. :/
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

In today's Frankly Unbelievable News, Strictly Limited claim to have shipped my copy of Rolling Gunner on PS4. We shall see!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

banjoted wrote:In today's Frankly Unbelievable News, Strictly Limited claim to have shipped my copy of Rolling Gunner on PS4. We shall see!
What. I wasn't even counting on that before May, per their last shipping update as of December (or, like, September, more realistically).

It does seem like SLG has been getting a little faster at moving out some of their backlog (none of which contains games I've ordered yet, unfortunately), but I sure wouldn't have expected them to beat their estimate by a few months. Then again, they did ship my copy of Cotton Reboot a few months before the final estimated date, but that had been stealth-delayed for about three months at that point, so...

I just checked my account and it seems like my Switch copy is still in manufacturing--and I get the sense global delays are a bit shorter for disc media than carts--but in any case it's exciting if they did manage to get the jump on some of the items in their queue.

EDIT: Oh, it looks like SLG updated their manufacturing updates today, and a lot of things in the pipeline changed from very vague month/quarter estimates to oddly-precise dates. Looks like Rolling Gunner is set for shipping the 25th of this month for standard editions?

And as expected, all my Cotton orders are pushed back to May...
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Warp_Rattler wrote:
banjoted wrote:In today's Frankly Unbelievable News, Strictly Limited claim to have shipped my copy of Rolling Gunner on PS4. We shall see!
What. I wasn't even counting on that before May, per their last shipping update as of December (or, like, September, more realistically).

It does seem like SLG has been getting a little faster at moving out some of their backlog (none of which contains games I've ordered yet, unfortunately), but I sure wouldn't have expected them to beat their estimate by a few months. Then again, they did ship my copy of Cotton Reboot a few months before the final estimated date, but that had been stealth-delayed for about three months at that point, so...

I just checked my account and it seems like my Switch copy is still in manufacturing--and I get the sense global delays are a bit shorter for disc media than carts--but in any case it's exciting if they did manage to get the jump on some of the items in their queue.

EDIT: Oh, it looks like SLG updated their manufacturing updates today, and a lot of things in the pipeline changed from very vague month/quarter estimates to oddly-precise dates. Looks like Rolling Gunner is set for shipping the 25th of this month for standard editions?

And as expected, all my Cotton orders are pushed back to May...
TBH I'd stopped checking, so all I really knew was that it was supposed to be released in October and still wasn't with me. But apparently my PS4 Standard Edition is en route as we type.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

same! i ordered the standard ps4 version the other day, shocked to see a shipping notification a day or two later. I cancelled my last order with them as the wait was ridiculous and the games were aviliable everywhere else. I love rolling gunner so ordered despite promising myself i'd never use them again. We'll see indeed!
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

got mine yesterday in a bigger package with other stuff. Sweet game! I'll be busy for the next weeks with this and Elden Ring.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

^ Nice!

Got a confirm from uk royal mail that there is a package from slg on the way.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Just got an email that my Switch copy has shipped.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Got my shipping notice for the Switch edition yesterday morning; now to wait for DHL to do whatever it takes two weeks to do. I honestly didn't expect this to ship before some of the Cotton releases, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. I have a Switch Lite and despite my best efforts I cannot get my eyes to adjust to playing tiny vertical titles on that screen; horis like Cotton Reboot, Star Hunter DX, R-Type Final 2, G-Darius, Radirgy Swag etc. have been much more pleasant and this will be a good addition to the lineup.

I thought I saw a passing mention somewhere a while back that some of the dev staff were ex-Cave, but I don't remember any further detail on that. Did anyone ever dig up what exactly they were involved with?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Warp_Rattler wrote:I thought I saw a passing mention somewhere a while back that some of the dev staff were ex-Cave, but I don't remember any further detail on that. Did anyone ever dig up what exactly they were involved with?
It was designed by former Cave dev, Koizumi Daisuke (Deathsmiles II / Akai Katana)
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I have a Switch Lite and despite my best efforts I cannot get my eyes to adjust to playing tiny vertical titles on that screen;

Yeah, without a flip grip vert titles are unplayable on that small screen (hell, even with a flip grip some are unplayable...)
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Yeah, without a flip grip vert titles are unplayable on that small screen (hell, even with a flip grip some are unplayable...)
I bought an adapter for my Retro-bit Saturn controller to try playing Mushihimesame in tate mode, but apparently my brain didn't remind me beforehand that by holding a controller I would have to put the Switch itself down somehow, and there was no way to balance it on my lap that seemed remotely comfortable. I didn't stick with it long enough to decide whether the screen would be just right in tate or still far too small. While I doubt a flip grip-like peripheral would be very popular for the Lite, it would be nice if there were a tabletop stand that maybe offered something like a rotation option and a way to plug in external controllers. I've had no trouble with all the hori titles I've played so far, but it may also be that the conventions of that style are much better suited to a small screen than vertically-oriented games. It's not like I can't just go back to Mushihimesama or DFK on Steam with a much larger screen, but the promise of possibly playing them while reclining on the couch was so appealing...
Jonpachi wrote:It was designed by former Cave dev, Koizumi Daisuke (Deathsmiles II / Akai Katana)
Thanks for digging that up! As I said, I thought it was in one of the Rolling Gunner threads but couldn't quite turn it up on my own.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Rolling Gunner for PS4 in da house. Works fine on PS5, too. Has been a long time coming...
Sengoku Strider

My Switch copy arrived today. So far I dig it. It's DoDonGleyLancer.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Damn me. I think I remember buying this game in physical version on some LRG/SLG/whatever-site-produces-boxed-games-nowadays.
But I cant remember when, which one site, cant find my ID/password, did not receive any update about my order, can not even check on my bank account if money has been drawn !

Basically, I dont know anything my hypothetic order. Pfff.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Man. This is the most nostalgic game I've bought in so many years. There is something about it that takes me way back.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Sengoku Strider wrote:My Switch copy arrived today. So far I dig it. It's DoDonGleyLancer.
Same here. Paid a little more than I would've liked for it off of E-Bay, but still much cheaper than Play-Asia. Definitely on the top end of my backlog to sink my teeth into.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Damn. I got Rolling Gunner on order from SLG as well, but I got another game in the same order, and there's no telling when they are going to have that printed :(
Sengoku Strider

XoPachi wrote:Man. This is the most nostalgic game I've bought in so many years. There is something about it that takes me way back.
That's funny, what about it appeals to you nostalgically? Maybe it's just because I've been playing a lot of Fantasy Zone lately, but it seems really modern & forward thinking to me. But then maybe my core nostalgia reference points are further back than yours.

About 2 hours in so far, I think I'm really going to end up liking this one. I felt motivated to go back and A/B it with its 2010s cousin, Crimzon Clover, as the two are clearly drawing on a lot of the same influences. That game has always had a strike against it with me purely by virtue of wearing out my eyes, but I do recognize all the positives it has, particularly the arrange mode. But in the short time I went back & forth, RG's gameplay grabbed me more, I really like the way the point blank medal mechanics were implemented (I said DoDonGleylancer before, but there are definitely times when it feels more like GleyLancer Deathtiny). As well as its version of the hyper scoring loop - once I figured it out, the game does an awkward job of explaining it. RG definitely nails the 'one more game' feel, I was surprised how quickly I hit the 1 hour mark after just intending to give it a quick spin and then go do something else. I'll see if that holds true after 15-20 hours.

Because initially, this game seems hard as balls (especially on the smaller Switch Lite screen), so it's going to need to.

Except for the Overpower mode, which lives up to its name and radically tilts things in the other direction. I didn't want to experience the late stages of the game for the first time just waltzing through them like that, so I haven't spent a ton of time with it. The mechanics seem great though, not sure if there's a mode that implements them with a more balanced challenge, or if it's just meant to be more of a score attack/caravan style romp.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Okay, so it seems like the SLG PS4 version has online leaderboards. My Japanese Switch version does not. Anybody heard about the Japanese version getting an update? Would be pretty whack for only the US versions to have them. Would have definitely double dipped on the SLG PS4 version had I known.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

It's a really cool game, and certainly enjoyed trying it out for a while. Only fault being the complete lack of lighting and shadows on the ship models, which killed it a little visually. Just makes enemies not look connected to the stage backgrounds. Hard to explain and jarring to watch.

Was playing the SEGA ALL.Net P-RAS version, so it may be different to the console / PC ports.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

As far as we can tell, the arcade version appears to play the same, aside from having additional tweaks such as score attack modes and some icons at the bottom right which are used by the arcade hardware to show if you're using headphones or a usb gamepad (?). The most surprising thing is that Casual mode retains the 1 bomb used per autobomb thing which makes it fairly forgiving for an arcade game, nice of them to have it available for beginners.

Novice mode and the Overpower arrange mode appear to be limited to home releases though, presumably because they'd be too easy? Not sure.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rolling Gunner will be making it to Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456 ... ng_Gunner/
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I expect to see all of you holdouts in my score thread once it does!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Rastan78 wrote:Rolling Gunner will be making it to Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456 ... ng_Gunner/
Awesome!

Looking forward to (finally) give this one a go. :)
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

It was just released today on Steam :mrgreen:
Sengoku Strider

It's worth jumping on for those who haven't tried it. Outside the stage transition scenes it's kinda bleh artistically, but the integration of the scoring system with survival was well done and in terms of gameplay/controls it seems about on par with Cave quality to me. I know it got a shmup of the year award or two in the past.
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

what's the deal with that DLC? Twin stick support for 9,75€?
SPM

Post by SPM »

^ Over Power is a new mode with different mechanics (twin-stick support among them), focused on scoring (survival is way too easy, your ship is... well... overpowered! :lol:)

I think most of us who love OG don't like OP as much, and the other way around. This statement may or may not be entirely true though XD
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Serge.EXE

Post by Serge.EXE »

A quick note, since I've seen no one mention it anywhere online, but you MUST be online and logged in to Steam to launch the game. If you try to launch Offline, it just throws up an Error Window. Huge bummer imo