Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Rolling Gunner has been announced for a Winter 2019 release on Switch.

http://d-mebius.com/rolling_gunner/

Video of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwEctyDoMI
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
DietSoap

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by DietSoap »

No mention of Steam localization along with the announcement of a western release for the Switch version is pretty weird considering it's a PC game. I hope this is just a temporary oversight rather than some 3rd party Nintendo exclusive localization deal.

Edit: should probably post this so people actually know what the fuck I'm talking about
https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 1146790912
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Very glad this game is getting some type of western release. Roo has talked up the game and the videos look nice. I also hope for a steam release, but will get it on switch at the least. With reading into M2's struggles with input lag preventing Switch ports, I hope that's not an issue for a game that was native to PC to begin with.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Buy it here! http://www.7-iro.org/store/

I've been playing the game a fair bit lately and trying to hype it up by streaming it on Twitch. Its mechanics are a pretty slick combination of lots of shmups integrated into one neat package: close range gem shedding Mushi Futari BL style, quick recharging of Power Up akin to Deathsmiles or Saidaioujou, a rank system that encourages you to keep rank up for the scoring multiplier similar to Saidaioujou, but that increases according to the medals you collect in Power Up/Limit, a double hyper system similar to Crimzon Clover but one that's much more controllable and more forgiving since you can bomb out of it or use the double hyper while the meter is low, netting a quick bullet clear while ending it early so the high rank doesn't kill ya.

Not sure what the hyper system is officially called - in the Practice Mode, the settings seem to refer to hyper 1 as Power Up and hyper 2 as Limit Over?

The aiming system is tricky at first but a lot of fun when you get a handle on it. It's an absolutely solid game. Is it the best shmup I've ever played? Not sure about that yet but it's definitely one of the better ones I've gotten to play. It's also amazingly stylish and has possibly the best between level score screen cinematics in any shmup.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Happy to see this coming to Switch. The PC release is good stuff. I can't speak to the technical side like BareKnucleRoo has, but it's a slick, well-designed game, that will make a great fit for the Switch's widescreen portable form factor. I will most likely double-dip for the Switch version, especially if it gets some kind of physical release.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I don't care for the visual style or quite how slavishly bullet hell it is but BKR's scoring description got me reeeeeal hyped

so thanks for that
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Awesome! Definitely did not expect a western release of this :D
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Might have to pick this one up. Based on the video the mechanics seem a fair bit like Progear.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Vexorg wrote:Might have to pick this one up. Based on the video the mechanics seem a fair bit like Progear.
Controls are CAVE-style: Shot/Laser, Bomb, Rapid Shot
Hypering works like DaiOuJou; once you have a hyper meter/double hyper, the bomb button is used for hypering.
There's a detailed and easy to understand tutorial at the start of each credit (which is skippable and can be outright disabled if you want).

Unlike Progear or Akai Katana, you are in full control of the gunpod. The aiming is more akin to Guardian Force, or the way you control the left/right pod direction in R-Type Leo. You have to manually aim the gunpod. When using rapid shot, the gunpod moves freely, facing in the opposite direction you move. Most of the damage in rapid shot comes from your ship itself, the gunpod's shots in rapid shot are mainly for taking out popcorn enemies. By holding the shot button, you lock the gunpod in place, and the shot becomes much tighter. All 3 ships appear to have the same the same lock shot, and the gunpod's shots account for about 80-90% of the total damage (so it's not super important whether or not you are hitting with the shots fired from your ship itself if you are using the lock shot to kill).

The unique aspect of the game is in having to rapidly change the gunpod's direction to deal with various targets. Unlike Progear or Akai Katana's B-Type shot, there is no auto-aiming when holding the shot button, so you have to pay attention and rapidly deal with enemies approaching on all sides. Unlike Progear though, you are not at the mercy of the autoaim, so you can accurately control what targets you take out in which order. You can also switch your aiming direction much more rapidly than in Guardian Force, so there's a more intense pace to RollingGunner which picks up in stage 3, where enemies start appearing all around you. The only autoscrolling shmup with this type of aiming where you have to pay attention to enemies on all sides I can think of is Firepower 2000 when using the Jeep (there's also the twin stick vert Score Rush, but ALL enemies appear from the top of the screen, so it doesn't have the same feel).

You are alerted to incoming enemies by visual cues (a red glow at the edge of the screen) as well as by helicopter rotor sounds for some of the bigger helicopter enemies. It's a system that works pretty well and is a lot of fun to play.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

DietSoap wrote:No mention of Steam localization along with the announcement of a western release for the Switch version is pretty weird considering it's a PC game. I hope this is just a temporary oversight rather than some 3rd party Nintendo exclusive localization deal.

Edit: should probably post this so people actually know what the fuck I'm talking about
Steam release is undecided at this time. Someone needs to get Degica involved shmup releases have been slow lately.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Tokyo-J wrote:
DietSoap wrote:No mention of Steam localization along with the announcement of a western release for the Switch version is pretty weird considering it's a PC game. I hope this is just a temporary oversight rather than some 3rd party Nintendo exclusive localization deal.

Steam release is undecided at this time. Someone needs to get Degica involved shmup releases have been slow lately.
james_degica please save us
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

DietSoap wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:

james_degica please save us
You are our only hope!
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Love this game on PC. If the Switch can handle the 60fps action as well as the PC version then I'm double dipping.
geosnow

Post by geosnow »

let's hope so. I have no windows machine. :oops:
geremy

Post by geremy »

Release date is Feb. 28!
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Nice! Can't wait.
geremy

Post by geremy »

I'm a bit concerned it may only be coming to JPN and not US on the shop...
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

It's not too hard to create a japanese eshop account. I was able to do it fairly easily. And I believe buying the games is as simple as entering credit card info. It's kind of a pain sorting through the shop if you don't understand Japanese but shmups are unfortunately a niche market. Here is an article that goes over how to create one.

https://www.gamesradar.com/3-easy-steps ... p-account/

Rolling Gunner might eventually come out in the US but I'm betting it could take a while.

edit: Turns out you need a japanese credit card, japanese paypal acct, amazon.co.jp, or buy a prepaid japanese gift card in order to add funds to eshop. Not as easy as I once thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... _nintendo/
Last edited by Arcatech on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

AFXisatwin wrote:It's not too hard to create a japanese eshop account. I was able to do it fairly easily. And I believe buying the games is as simple as entering credit card info. It's kind of a pain sorting through the shop if you don't understand Japanese but shmups are unfortunately a niche market. Here is an article that goes over how to create one.

https://www.gamesradar.com/3-easy-steps ... p-account/

Rolling Gunner might eventually come out in the US but I'm betting it could take a while.
From twitter:

https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 12?lang=en

We are pleased to announce the release of Rolling Gunner Nintendo Switch version in cooperation with Mebius Co., Ltd. It is planned to be released in North America and Europe as well. Please wait for further information in detail.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Really hopping this comes to PS4. Joycon is shit for arcade games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

scrilla4rella wrote:Really hopping this comes to PS4. Joycon is shit for arcade games.
There are alternatives. Pro Controller is functionally sound (I haven't had issues with oversensitive diagonal inputs like with the 8bitdo SF30 pads), but not the most comfortable controller I have used. 8bitdo N30 pro works nice. Hori stick is nice, but expensive. However, 4 way stick arcade games like Pac-Man actually benefit from the separate buttons on the joycon. Hori dpad joycon has an excellent dpad and works great for handheld mode.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

BrianC wrote:
There are alternatives. Pro Controller is functionally sound (I haven't had issues with oversensitive diagonal inputs like with the 8bitdo SF30 pads), but not the most comfortable controller I have used. 8bitdo N30 pro works nice. Hori stick is nice, but expensive. However, 4 way stick arcade games like Pac-Man actually benefit from the separate buttons on the joycon. Hori dpad joycon has an excellent dpad and works great for handheld mode.
I may need to get one of these hori dpad joycons, the price is right. Too bad about it only working in handheld (I'm also thinking about getting one of those dpad mod kits). I usually use my Pokken tournament controller for Switch in docked mode for arcade stuff but obviously using my Hori RAP N for PS4 would be preferable.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

scrilla4rella wrote:Really hopping this comes to PS4. Joycon is shit for arcade games.
+1
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'd looked into all sorts of other controllers, and will probably still end up springing for a stick at some point, but in the meantime I settled for an 8bitdo wireless adaptor that cost £18.00 and allows connection of GameCube and SNES mini pads. It's always been a toss-up between SNES and Saturn for best d-pad ever IMO, and the mini pads feel pretty much identical to the original SNES pad I still have lying around. Plus, the GC analogue is infinitely preferable to most other pads I've used.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

scrilla4rella wrote:
I may need to get one of these hori dpad joycons, the price is right. Too bad about it only working in handheld (I'm also thinking about getting one of those dpad mod kits). I usually use my Pokken tournament controller for Switch in docked mode for arcade stuff but obviously using my Hori RAP N for PS4 would be preferable.
Just get a Brook PS4/PS3 -> switch converter to play with your RAP N. I actually did the same just two days ago, my RAP N works flawless with Switch with it (I have actually Switch Hori Hayabusa too, got the converter so I could use also my PS4 controllers for two player sessions).

Rolling Gunner works really nice on Switch. There is some slowdown in some sections, but it feels that it's intentional slowdown in CAVE style and not performance related.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

GFoyle wrote: Just get a Brook PS4/PS3 -> switch converter to play with your RAP N. I actually did the same just two days ago, my RAP N works flawless with Switch with it (I have actually Switch Hori Hayabusa too, got the converter so I could use also my PS4 controllers for two player sessions).

Rolling Gunner works really nice on Switch. There is some slowdown in some sections, but it feels that it's intentional slowdown in CAVE style and not performance related.
I may indeed do just that in the near future. I take it the input lag wasn't super noticeable?

I don't claim to be some sort of frame counting rainman but I seem to notice lag when I play a new port of a game I'm already very familiar with. (Obviously this won't be a problem with Rolling Gunner.) Maybe it's just psychological, like a reverse placebo, but I can't really play any of the Psykyo ports on Switch because they just feels so different. I'm worried the converter will just make it worse. I don't know, maybe it's just all in my head but I end up doing so much better at Strikers 1944 II when I fire up the supergun.
Last edited by scrilla4rella on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

scrilla4rella wrote:
I may indeed do just that in the near future. I take it the input lag wasn't super noticeable?

I don't claim to be some sort of frame counting rainman but I seem to notice lag when I play a new port of a game I'm already very familiar with. (Obviously this won't be a problem with Rolling Gunner.) Maybe it's just physiological, like a reverse placebo, but I can't really play any of the Psykyo ports on Switch because they just feels so different. I'm worried the converter will just make it worse. I don't know, maybe it's just all in my head but I end up doing so much better at Strikers 1944 II when I fire up the supergun.
I didn't notice any difference when using brook converter. The seem to take a lot of pride on trying to make those converters as transparent what comes to input lag. I have also xbone -> ps4 and didn't have any issues with that either (one thing, always update the firmware of the converter to latest one before use after purchase and sometimes you need to do if there has been update on the console, which has required also update to the converter).
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

On sale in the Japanese Eshop for 1,980yen (20% Off)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Tokyo-J wrote:On sale in the Japanese Eshop for 1,980yen (20% Off)
Oh nice! I've had a points card floating in my Play-Asia cart for days now. Time to cash in! All the comparisons to Cave titles has me super excited to give this a go!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

June 20th Release $19.99