Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by Udderdude »

Serge.EXE wrote:A quick note, since I've seen no one mention it anywhere online, but you MUST be online and logged in to Steam to launch the game. If you try to launch Offline, it just throws up an Error Window. Huge bummer imo
I would suggest you use an open source Steam emulator and see if that works.
Serge.EXE

Post by Serge.EXE »

Udderdude wrote:
Serge.EXE wrote:A quick note, since I've seen no one mention it anywhere online, but you MUST be online and logged in to Steam to launch the game. If you try to launch Offline, it just throws up an Error Window. Huge bummer imo
I would suggest you use an open source Steam emulator and see if that works.
No need, they updated it today to work Offline! Good stuff.
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

SPM wrote:^ Over Power is a new mode with different mechanics (twin-stick support among them), focused on scoring (survival is way too easy, your ship is... well... overpowered! :lol:)

I think most of us who love OG don't like OP as much, and the other way around. This statement may or may not be entirely true though XD
Game is 100% worth it. Purchased and the DLC anyway :)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Does the Steam version include Galaxy Frontier?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

What do you mean?

Also I am tempted to get the DLC just for the soundtrack. Over Power is indeed kind of middling. I TLB 1cc'd it three times in a row, blind, with each ship.

Also, bump this RG Score thread (all scores/skills welcome, I do have Over Power boards too!) and give me a reason to get off my ass and keep it up to date!
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I don't think any version of the game at this point except the original release comes with galaxy frontier. if the steam store page doesn't mention it...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

EmperorIng wrote:What do you mean?
Rolling Gunner's story is actually a prequel to an earlier doujin game they made called Galaxy Frontier. The DVD release of Rolling Gunner also includes a copy of Galaxy Frontier to play and enjoy. It's a wacky bullet cancelling experience that's short enough that it almost feels like a caravan game. The music's pretty solid, and it's a far better game than Rolling Gunner Overpower is because the cancelling actually requires some effort on your part to use as there's a recharge period.

In Rolling Gunner's TLB ending, you send the brave little gunpod to ram itself into the evil yellow crystal ("BAC") and banish it to the depths of Jupiter. In Galaxy Frontier, it's somehow reformed itself within Jupiter and you go and kick its butt again (I don't know the specifics as I can't read Japanese, sorry :p).

If you want to see a full playthrough of both I have one on Youtube that shows a TLB 1CC of Rolling Gunner followed by a 1CC of Galaxy Frontier here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxgz3H9Ngo

The game's plot text is all in Japanese, but it has a ton of digitized voice clips that all appear to be in English that's very hard to understand. If anyone is curious/wants to decipher them, I uploaded a recording of all the digitized voice clips (I think they were made using Microsoft Sam?) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBCVAruTkU
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:What do you mean?
Rolling Gunner's story is actually a prequel to an earlier doujin game they made called Galaxy Frontier. The DVD release of Rolling Gunner also includes a copy of Galaxy Frontier to play and enjoy. It's a wacky bullet cancelling experience that's short enough that it almost feels like a caravan game. The music's pretty solid, and it's a far better game than Rolling Gunner Overpower is because the cancelling actually requires some effort on your part to use as there's a recharge period.

In Rolling Gunner's TLB ending, you send the brave little gunpod to ram itself into the evil yellow crystal ("BAC") and banish it to the depths of Jupiter. In Galaxy Frontier, it's somehow reformed itself within Jupiter and you go and kick its butt again (I don't know the specifics as I can't read Japanese, sorry :p).

If you want to see a full playthrough of both I have one on Youtube that shows a TLB 1CC of Rolling Gunner followed by a 1CC of Galaxy Frontier here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxgz3H9Ngo

The game's plot text is all in Japanese, but it has a ton of digitized voice clips that all appear to be in English that's very hard to understand. If anyone is curious/wants to decipher them, I uploaded a recording of all the digitized voice clips (I think they were made using Microsoft Sam?) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBCVAruTkU
I don't understand, though, why make the main game the prequel to a bonus game? Especially since the true ending looks like you destroy the final boss for good? I know the game tells you to "Continue to Galaxy Frontier" afterwards, but still...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Galaxy Frontier isn't a "bonus game", it was a doujin they made in 2014. People were playing it back then, it wasn't totally unknown, it just wasn't very well known. Here's a playthrough of it from 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DlLHi_KMAk

Rolling Gunner is very likely a prequel to it in plot because they hold the game they made years ago dear in their heart. The fact that a port is not being included with the Switch version and apparently not in the Steam release is a bit unfortunate.
Especially since the true ending looks like you destroy the final boss for good?
No? The true end you get from beating the TLB has your gunpod launched into the yellow gem which shoots it into Jupiter and sets up the events of Galaxy Frontier. In the normal/bad ending you get from failing to 1CC or 1CCing without triggering the TLB, you destroy the big mech by launching your ship at it, which causes the mech to apparently explode and blow up half the moon, sending debris to the Earth with apparently catastrophic results, and BAC (the yellow gem that's the cause of it all) also falls back to Earth.

edit: apparently Galaxy Frontier's even older than that because it had a trial version in 2011 (Jumpei Isshiki, one of the devs, is in the comment section!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpENtgB8L4
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I only refer to Galaxy Frontier as a bonus game because it’s included in the original package for Rolling Gunner.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm aware. Even if they hadn't included it on the physical DVD release, I don't see why they can' be allowed to make the plot a prequel to one of their earlier games.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I hope their next game Elementaler EleXfalter doesn't turn out to be a prequel to one of their previous games, otherwise I'd be disappointed.
guigui

Post by guigui »

I like Rolling Gunner, and I like stories that go forward, and I like stories that go backward, and I like stories that go David Lynch, and I like Rolling Gunner.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well, I'm not too big on prequels in general. What's the point of going backwards?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

xxx1993 wrote:Well, I'm not too big on prequels in general. What's the point of going backwards?
Depending on your tastes you could make the same complaint about sequels: I prefer a story to have an actual ending that ties things up, what's the point of going beyond "the end"? If it's not your favorite structure then that's fine, but since a writer can cook up a cohesive world or plotline while moving in either direction calling one or the other inherently "pointless" doesn't make much sense.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

That’s true, there are times when I think enough’s enough.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BulletMagnet wrote:Depending on your tastes you could make the same complaint about sequels: I prefer a story to have an actual ending that ties things up, what's the point of going beyond "the end"?
Churning out more franchise content to make money off a popular franchise, usually. There's a lot of stories with really great universes that I think were tied up nicely, only to be unearthed like a grotesque undead abomination to make more money off of it.

One of the ickier examples I can think of is Final Fantasy X. The sequel, X-2 is actually pretty good (even if it's radically more lighthearted in tone and doesn't take itself too seriously which turned off some fans) and the freeform class system is a nice call-back to FFIII and FFV. Where it gets really ugly is the bad fanfic-tier audio drama they released that takes place after X-2 which makes Tidus and Yuna into inane quarrelling lovers, Sin comes back basically undoing all of their hard work, etc. It's bad. And it got included as a bonus feature in the HD release of the games.

By comparison to an audio drama sequel of a massive, multi-game RPG basically undoing much of the plot that was developed, RG's prequel plot is barely worth a mention. ;P

Is there any word on how the Steam and Nintendo Switch releases handle compared to the original PC release? I haven't had a chance to pick up either one, though I am tempted to double-dip...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Meanwhile, I'm just hoping Top Gun: Maverick doesn't get another sequel because it was the perfect sendoff for Maverick. If Paramount and Tom Cruise goes through with a third Top Gun movie, then they're just doing the same thing Disney and Pixar did with Toy Story 4.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

xxx1993 wrote:Meanwhile, I'm just hoping Top Gun: Maverick doesn't get another sequel because it was the perfect sendoff for Maverick. If Paramount and Tom Cruise goes through with a third Top Gun movie, then they're just doing the same thing Disney and Pixar did with Toy Story 4.
There will absolutely be a TG3, and I guarantee it will be set-up as a franchise from here-on-out. We will have TG movies and shows for the rest of our damn lives now.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Galaxy Frontier's available for free download again: https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 5318880256

Apparently the download links have been dead for awhile, so they've reuploaded it.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Churning out more franchise content to make money off a popular franchise, usually. There's a lot of stories with really great universes that I think were tied up nicely, only to be unearthed like a grotesque undead abomination to make more money off of it.
It's not just corporate greed, though. Fans are constantly lobbying companies to make sequels to their favourite games. They evangelize for the new releases they do get because "If we don't support R-Type Final 2 and buy it RIGHT NOW, R-Type may never be seen again!!" (I got the day one physical limited edition, BTW).

It's not strictly analogous to the film industry; code is static, it can be copied over and iterated and improved upon. Technology and dev tools progress, allowing for ever greater optimization. With a movie, it's much more contingent upon individual performances and many other mutable factors. A script is central and expected to provide some novelty, but games rest primarily on the kinesthetic experience, which often as not benefits from intimate familiarity on the part of the audience. The Madden & FIFA audiences are pretty much fine with getting the same thing every year, but those same people would be pissed if the next Star Wars was almost the exact same movie as the last one but with a roster update.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Just picked this up yesterday with the steam sale. Can anyone explain how the OP scoring system works regarding the "super hyper" mode? The part that's confusing me is that I don't understand how long super-hyper mode will last and my guess is that its sustained by continuously medaling, as I've seen it burn out in just a few seconds while other times it seems to last as long as the original hyper mode. What gives?

And yeah, what a fun game with tons of modes. I know, casual mode is like baby's first shmup, but picked up a cool 3.6 billion after a few tries. Love to see how BKR is getting 6 billion.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

CMoon wrote:Just picked this up yesterday with the steam sale. Can anyone explain how the OP scoring system works regarding the "super hyper" mode? The part that's confusing me is that I don't understand how long super-hyper mode will last and my guess is that its sustained by continuously medaling, as I've seen it burn out in just a few seconds while other times it seems to last as long as the original hyper mode. What gives?
Yeah, it's kind of tricky to figure out at first:

Shoot stuff, collect medals. This increases the number in the lower left of the screen.

When that number hits 1000, you can trigger hyper mode.

A green circle appears around your ship when you trigger it, ticking down. This shows you how much time your hyper has left without needing to look at the lower corner of the screen.

If you look closely, there's a second red inner ring. This fills up as you collect medals while in hyper mode. Once it passes I think 1/4 full, a red aura appears around your ship. This indicates that you can trigger a super-hyper mode, the same way you did the normal one.

Once you trigger it, the red circle then becomes your timer for this mode. You can increase uptime by collecting medals.

There are a bunch of other details about how medals, multipliers and rank work. But medals->hyper->more medals-> super hyper is the basic flow, with the circles around your ship being the timers.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CMoon wrote:And yeah, what a fun game with tons of modes. I know, casual mode is like baby's first shmup, but picked up a cool 3.6 billion after a few tries. Love to see how BKR is getting 6 billion.
I was very confused at first because I was like "you can't even get a billion in Casual mode" but I see you're talking about Overpower Mode, haha. There's no special trick there; I haven't even a clue if it's a good score or not. I got a clear of each mode just to put something on the scoreboards, but it's not optimized by any means. I might still have the input replay saved on my computer if you're interested.

Sengoku Strider's explanation pretty well covers it. You have the meter at the bottom left that allows for Power Up Mode when it's at 1000. You can also see it's ready because yellow orbs swirl around your ship. Press bomb to activate it, and then a meter around your ship starts draining showing how long it has left. During the Power Up Mode, medals you collect will fill a red meter around your ship. It needs to be partially filled (I'm not sure if it's 10 or 20%, haven't measured) but it'll change colour and a sound effect will play when it's ready to go. Try to fill the red meter as much as possible, and press the Bomb button before Power Up Mode ends, and you'll enter Over Limit Mode that gives you the highest level of medals.

Also, much like Deathsmiles, get close to enemies to collect as many medals as possible when they fly out, and use the "correct" shot type to get bigger medals (kill small planes with your wide/fighter shot, and larger planes with your focused/gunner shot). The bigger medals fill your meter faster, and with a bit of practice it's not too tough to quickly fill the red meter during Power Up Mode so you maximize how long Over Limit Mode lasts.

You can exit either mode early by using a bomb if you want (except in Overpower version where there aren't bombs).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Someone should update the thread title, it's also on PS4 and it's fuckin rad. Also it came out in NTSCJ months after US/EU for some reason, so that's even more notable ;3 ;3 ;3